Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 430560 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2445 on: November 08, 2022, 11:36:09 am »

Speaking of dark truths, I remember you considering at least once whether to kill the blighted or spread the blight yourself :P

Señamatem ironically got his hard yet not that hard. I made a throwaway fort over the north part of the site (which contains the Mead Hall) and only 3 living thralls existed. Tons of bodies though. The problem is when an adventurer approaches, those 3 will likely infect everyone in the Mead Hall.

By the way, I'm just now reading Jas' first adventure, I see you burned the blighted bodies. I was wondering, did you also burn the clothes, armor and weapons or leave them aside? If possible and you continue with the purging, could you do the latter?

One big problem is that Yarlig infected a lot of settlements, even outside of Omon Obin. Just skimming showed at least a fortress retreat infected too. We'll see who'll survive this latest atrocity.

So I've discovered something interesting while looking through Iroram's past. I kept reading that apparently Islas had destroyed some of the items in my fort at one time (!!!). More specifically, his corpse (I know at one time he was animated). My first assumption, which lasted for a long time, was that someone had brought Islas' corpse to rampage through Iroram after my last turn. I kept wondering who it could have been... but then I realized this was happening while I was doing my own turn, and I'd sure remember Islas' corpse rampaging through my fort and destroying my items... even though he can't breathe fire or have any methods to destroy my items... Then I realized it: I, the Overseer, destroyed those items. They were probably bought from the caravan and smelted for their metals.

Then I realized something else: Islas is considered by the game a deity because people worship him. I've seen in other forts that apparently the Gods "come down and destroy items" (not an actual quote). So apparently, when you, the overseer, smelt an item in your own fortress, the game records it for posterity that a God or megabeast destroyed it. That's... wild.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 08, 2022, 11:51:27 am »

Old Jas must be getting on a bit now, although I think humans can live up to 120 years old in DF. I wonder which of his progeny will take up the mantle?

He should be 70 on the dot now, but you may be right, I don't feel like spoiling myself as to the date of his death with DF hack or anything, so I'll let it play out as is. Though I've decided he's gotten old enough that I'm mostly retiring him from adventures, he may do a little Blight cleansing here if needed though.

And @Lurker, I haven't been the best at cleaning up after the First Crusade so to speak, it takes quite a lot of time to drag the bodies and all to the fires, but yes I was burning clothes and everything. I figured it'd be better to get rid of the clutter items and all. If you don't mind me asking why'd you want me to keep that stuff around?
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 08, 2022, 12:00:48 pm »

Some weary traveler might need it or it could be moved to some fort. I'm just a hoarder in video games.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 08, 2022, 12:14:40 pm »

Maloy and the Ear's plans to expand dominion over the lands might not pan out it seems!
We might just convert Incenseorder into the largest refugee center in the world lol

I'm here for whatever although I doubt Maloy would survive a battle against anything as tough as or tougher than a crocodile lol

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 08, 2022, 01:16:09 pm »

Some weary traveler might need it or it could be moved to some fort. I'm just a hoarder in video games.

I have a feeling endless amounts of worn llama wool underpants won't be all that useful to you, but hey, you got it boss.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 08, 2022, 01:56:27 pm »

To address the scale of the new blight: Omon Obin didn't really get hit that hard. In Senamatem' there's only those three thralls in the mead hall' but I don't think there is anyone left to infect there. There are a couple hamlets in the northern part of the realm which have the majority of the population infected' but not the southern regions' nor any of the five major towns.

The lands that got the worst of the disease are Dur Leru (Empire of Peeks) and Sastpesor (High Confederacies) in the central region' to a lesser extent Mong Uthros (Nations of Honoring). The northernmost reaches of Mong Uthros are relatively free of the blight' so' Maloy' if you were to find a bodyguard and try your luck in those regions' or in southern Omon Obin' you should be able to get some more settlers for Incenseorder.

The forest retreats mostly have Hands of Planegifts living in them' who are technically considered undead and therefore not inimical to the thralls. The blight should not spread across the elven lands therefore' so once the present infected are eradicated' it should stay clean.

Also' concerning fighting the thralls: most of the infected were peasants' lacking any armor and with few proper weapons. This means axes/halberds/swords should be effective' as the thralls do bleed to death. Try to kite them' take out once at a time' and avoid being swarmed. Most of them should go down relatively easily' armored ones are few and far between.

We'll see about it' I still hope it ends up mostly manageable' but if the consequences are too severe I'm ready to take a turn just to cull some of the blighters.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 08, 2022, 02:06:20 pm »

I don't think it should be an issue. The Band of Wax managed to mostly cleanse Omon Obin, I don't see why another adventuring party couldn't do the same elsewhere. Ultimately, it's actually quite easy to become nigh invincible in adventure mode to the tune of taking on armies alone, it's almost difficult not to exploit the systems, heheh.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 08, 2022, 04:18:58 pm »

Museum Submission:

51. The twin heads of the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen the Sensual Silk-Call: the last of the ettins, slain in 712 by Thon Scarone and raised as a putrid ghoul in 797, terror of many dwarven forts. Fell for the final time to the mighty Godenrigoth, by the hand of Moldath Mournsaints.
The Hateful Two-head of Menace, an iron breastplate: It is dented and caked in filth, but the blueberry bush symbol of the Walled Dye is still visible. This iron breastplate was torn from a valiant defender of the deepfolk, and used by the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen to slay five dwarves in his rampage on Falsetower.

Forts Visited (forts visited a 2nd time not listed):

Secrethome
Crystalworship the Temple of Vultures
Urnways

For attention of Bralbaard - I see you have updated the first page recently. I think the 4th link of my Turn 91 is not linking to my final entry on page 160, and you've missed my submission for that turn, which I have quoted above.

Love the start to your thrall-infused story QD.

Looks like there will be plenty of ghouls to slay in coming turns thanks to the Ghoul Father!

O wow. I somehow missed that part of your story, and it is quite an epic part of history for the world too, tying together a lot of loose ends. Too bad the royal title did not stick. I guess it is automatically up for grabs once you leave on further adventures.  Same thing happened when Bralbaard went on his adventures.

Anyhow, I've updated a lot of stuff, but there is a lot going on and a lot of people are writing their story lines simultaneously, so I might have missed stuff.  Let me know if that's the case, especially if the turn list is not complete.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 08, 2022, 05:22:55 pm »

Since the plan was to retire Moldath as King and having previous examples in King Bralbaard, I don't think that's the case. In fact, I'm pretty sure it happened a few in-game days after kasperan ended his turn. The theory we're having is Moldath gaining the title by the Queen giving it to him (though I'm not sure if it was natural or dfhack-y; I've seen mentions on the wiki that Monarchs can (very?) rarely ask you to take their position; though it begs the question why an NPC necromancer would do that) made it not stick. It is also interesting and to be mentioned that of the 5 adventurers ascended, King Bralbaard and depending on his methods King Moldath are the only ones who ascended without killing the previous Monarchs.

I think you missed the news either because it was mostly visible to us in Legends Viewer, it didn't stick or I put it in spoilers when I mentioned it.

If you have time, read the posts about the blight too, Bralbaard.

Since you're around, there's a question that keeps bugging me, though it'll likely not have any part in my turn: is King Bralbaard really dead? (I mean, barring the resurrected limbs). I would assume so since people have been trying to resurrect him from parts lately.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 09, 2022, 01:51:41 am »

He could not be unretired, not even by the unretire-anyone command, I guess that means he's currently gone. The situation regarding his many deaths has gotten complicated however. It might be that there is a more complete corpse to resurrect somewhere. Offscreen deaths can also have unpredictable outcomes.

Edit: About the blight, I think we can continue without further rules. We do not have many newbies on the list. That might change december 6th when the new version is released, but the blight will be the least of their problems.
They will need a full introduction on what adventure mode is just to get them started, not to mention that they'll need to learn to play the 'old' version, and figure out the user interface, ascii and all the things we take for granted. I'll write something to point them in the right direction once the new DF version is out.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:11:03 am by Bralbaard »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 09, 2022, 05:32:07 am »

I checked viewer to see if I could locate more parts

According to what I was reading your main body is a zombie in the wilderness so that might explain the command issue.
Besides being a mindless zombie you're also not in a settlement. If someone wanted to comb through the region you're in and then gently lay your body to rest, carry it to a town and resurrect you with intelligence that might work?

I'm cool with no rule! I offered middle of the road option in case it was wanted, but I'm fine with whatever

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: November 09, 2022, 05:37:54 am »

The detached hand is playable, which is sufficient for my next turn. Technically the game sees it as a full zombie, but there is only a hand.  Is this what you refer to as main body?

I will play the hand for my next turn, any other parts are up for grabs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:46:39 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 09, 2022, 07:39:41 am »

Hope the hand of Bralbaard roles well. Also since the head in non-intelligent undead. I wonder if fully revived if he would go feral and attack when not under player control.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 09, 2022, 08:30:22 am »

I've taken a look at the forgotten beast who saved Mischieflaws (that's Bralbaard-as-Midas' comission gremlin fort, if I'm not mistaken). Its name is Rifi_Cèthuthacetha and it is a blob of water. That probably means it's sadly going to get splattered the next time someone activates the site.

Its description is also hilarious.

https://i.imgur.com/KEtGsy8.png

Code: [Select]
It has a very calm demeanor.Not what I would expect from a FB.
It does not trust others.
It enjoys being in crowds.Yes, it sure liked being in that 50 troll crowd. That would not mesh well with a FB, but it does mesh with a bloodthirsty one. It also emerged in the Curious Horror's capital and ate a troll, so it appears it really likes being in crowd of trolls.
It is easily moved to mercy...............................................................
It has a tendency to go it alone, without considering the advice of others.Again, FB, you don't say.
It finds helping others emotionally rewarding.Considering the battle, maybe. Wouldn't be when it's out of abstract mode and into adventure/fortress mode.
It doesn't cling tightly to ideas and is open to changing its mind.Ah, a FB with a better trait than 50% of sapient beings, fictional or not. Says something about the world, that.
It likes a little excitement now and then. You jump into a demon capital yesterday, into a war today, sleep the half a millennium in between. Makes perfect sense.

Wonder what its fate will be.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:33:24 am by Lurker Z »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 09, 2022, 09:26:29 am »

The detached hand is playable, which is sufficient for my next turn. Technically the game sees it as a full zombie, but there is only a hand.  Is this what you refer to as main body?

I don't think so? So here's a screenshot of where your hand is

But when I look up your main body here is what I find

So if I am reading that right your body is wandering somewhere in the jungle

I would think that if the unit in question is not in an actual settlement of some kind, even a lair or cave, then the game wouldn't permit you to use them even through dfhack. Just conjecture
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 265