00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252501 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4995 on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:22 pm »

"Can we find somewhere to eat?" You question, after a final glance to the shimmering silk. Rekhyt nods.

"I know just the place."

You don't purchase much, but Rekhy does purchase something. A small metal case of those herbal tubes. After he orientates himself, he sets off to a food stall nearby. The two of you claim a seat at the counter, and a large woman with dark hair approaches. She eyes Rekhyt, then you, then turns to start preparing your food.

Do all chefs look alik-- ... is that cheese?

The woman sets two wooden boards in front of you. Gooey white cheese oozes from meat patties.The smell of herbs and gravy drift to tempt your nose, and you pick up one of the meat lumps and pop it into your mouth. The meat is cheap and poorly ground, but the cheese more than makes up for any loss of tenderness.  Its heavily herbed and spiced, and if you weren't Ascended, it would no doubt leave you dehydrated. She pours two cups of [kefir] as you eat, and a shot of clear liquor for each of you. All in silence. Rekhyt and you finish at the same time, draining the kefir and moving on to the liqour.

He lifts a toast, "To peace."

"To peace." You echo, tapping your glass on the counter before knocking back the slug of alcohol. It makes even your eyes water.

Rekhyt drops a jade coin on the table and rises -- the Vendor's eyes widen in surprise, but she expresses no gratitude.

"Where to next?" He questions, lighting a tube and passing it to you. You raise your brow, then grin, taking a puff as he lights another for himself.

"Take me to the ugly parts. The places where your father's guide wouldn't."

A crooked grin crosses Rekhyt's lips.

"I expected you to be a bit more prim and proper."

"Sorry to dash that assumption." You grin.

"We'll be wanting to go to the outskirts of town. It's a little dangerous, but I'm sure you won't mind, will you?"

The brick houses here are unkempt. Cracking and crumbling into the street. The sound of gunfire echoes in the distance, but Rekhyt pays no attention to it. You trail behind him, avoiding the beggars and dark alleys. You catch sight of a few urchins clad in torn robes, that hover and lounge in the ruins. Gangs of young men and women linger in darkness, their eyes following the two of you as you step by. Sizing you up with quiet hostility.

He leads you through these decript streets with nary a pause. It isn't until you reach a dimly lit house does he come to a stop. The two of you step inside the bar, and Rekhyt claims a seat in the dimly lit, smelly, smoky establishment. You sit across from him. Groups of people huddle together eyeing the other gangs. The barkeep sits behind bars of steel, a las-gun in plain view. "So, this is probably the safest part of the outskirts.  From here it depends on what you want to see from here. There's probably a clan war happening we could intervene in, orphans we could get information from, or bars where the booze will make you go blind. A couple of drugdealers are around, selling [Thorn]. There's a black market nearby, selling slaves. Out here, there isn't any of my father's men -- just too many clans that shouldn't be all pushed together."

Rekhyt pauses, eyeing one of the thugs at the bar. "I grew up around here. When I was worthless. This is where the dregs go to live."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 02:54:25 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:09 pm »

Tomorrow we will see the best of this city, the things Samkrend wants us to see.  Tonight we should see the worst, the pure unadulterated truth.

"How common are clan wars?  I'd like to get a look at one to see what I would be getting into if I agreed to this alliance."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: August 25, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »

I hope that through the course of the alliance, we’d be able to make every part prosperous, I don’t like that there’s a place like this amongst prosperity, given how much seems to be available, we should be able to repair the buildings, make more as necessary, different areas for the different clans, these are just my thoughts, Phoenix, don’t feel compelled to mention them if you don’t want to

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: August 25, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »

We are seeing the dangers of a fractious, unregulated, and money-obsessed society.  Capitalism is a game with deadly consequences.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: August 25, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »

"Every night." Rekhyt shrugs, "Usually over petty problems. Sure you want to? We'll have to go armed."

You look confused.

"Can't exactly scorch a city-block and not have someone notice, right?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: August 25, 2020, 07:26:52 pm »

"Yes, unless you think it would cause political problems in dealing with your father.  I would like to see what weapons the clans use and how they fight."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: August 25, 2020, 08:20:51 pm »

"As long as you don't use...your powers, unless its an emergency, how will he know?" Rekhyt questions, grinning.

You still hesitate.

[One more vote required.]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 09:06:54 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: August 25, 2020, 08:56:03 pm »

"On second thought, that may not be a good idea.  Can you take me to your slave-market instead?  I didn't know that your family tolerated that practice."

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: August 25, 2020, 09:17:21 pm »

These people are aimless, not contributing to this society or any other.  I wonder how much you could recruit from these dregs.  Be less severe then SEED, give them purpose and training. 

What kind of information would the orphans provide?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: August 25, 2020, 09:34:24 pm »

"What of those urchins?" You question, curious, waiting until two of your Ancestors approve the operation. A courtesy. "They seem to watch you."

[13] Rekhyt gives a laugh, "They do more than that. I am the [King] of Orphans!" Rekhyt grins at you, "Those children only get enough to eat because I pay them for information. They're my eyes and ears in this city. They have my protection -- if they're not stupid, of course."

"That...is either generous or manipulative."

"Why not both?"

"Would these 'dregs' be interested in living in the Holyland?"

[-] Rekhyt's grin falters, then he rises, moving to the bar and ordering drinks for the both of you. Another slug of that horrible alcohol, but the two of you toss them back together and he lights you an herbal [cigarette]. "Yeah. They would. But you shouldn't be. They've lived a long time around here. Too long. They wouldn't be able to uh..." He lapses into Holylander, "Adapt? Adapt."

"That's rather grim of you. You don't think that they can reform?"

"Our cultures are...very different. Priests think of the nation, of the religion. These people only think of family and close friend. No other."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: August 26, 2020, 06:33:34 am »

A black market was mentioned earlier I say we go there maybe they have better tech stuff.

Also I don't see why after some work we can't get our two cultures to become friends.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: August 26, 2020, 03:09:30 pm »

"They don't. Not officially. But Atlan and Bat profit from it all the same." Rekhyt shrugs. "Its odd -- isn't it?"

"Are you saying that they're directly protecting it?"

"I implied it. I didn't state it. What can the family fool do to end it?"

"Rekhyt could change it."

"Only a step up from the fool. A backstabbing, lazy, no good prankster."

You frown.

[1 vote for black market]
[1 vote for slave-market]

"Have you made up your mind? We're about to get into a bar fight." Rekhyt ticks his head towards the bar counter, towards the thugs eyeing you furtively.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: August 26, 2020, 03:24:54 pm »

The mountain-folk where I was stationed had a mantra.

Quote from: <...>
    A man is bound:
    First, to his kinsfolk.
    Then, to his [village-state].
    Then, to his kingdom.
    Then, to his God.

In that order, you understand. A king who stood not for the family bond, in their minds, was no king at all.
Lovely people. Very stubborn. Good with granite.

>>>

Between the options mentioned… I suppose a visit to the black market couldn't hurt.
What are we trying to accomplish, with this jaunt through the slums? What are our priorities out here?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: August 26, 2020, 03:48:59 pm »

Tomorrow we will see the best of this city, the things Samkrend wants us to see.  Tonight we should see the worst, the pure unadulterated truth.

Surely you would like to know what atrocities the Outlanders are committing before you commit to an alliance?  After we establish the alliance, their atrocities will become our atrocities, and the people in these slums will become our people, destitute and violent.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: August 26, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »

We should go to the slave market.  Find out where they come from, where they are going.  Why the institution exists here.

SEED had some excuse, being in an existential war against the horror and still afforded the contract bound some rights.  The underside of this supposedly prosperous land shows either structural problems, a lack of concern or an inability to solve the inequality.

Maybe mention you were looking only to help the poor here, not steal away the kingdom of urchins he has amassed.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 381