00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252540 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #5010 on: August 26, 2020, 04:29:27 pm »

With some trepidation, you state, "Take me to the slave market."

"Don't have enough slaves within your kingdom?"

"Debt-slavery, at least in Stormmont, is a thing of the past. Everyone there is equal."

"In slavery to their Goddess?"

"I'm working on it." You grumble, defensively. "It isn't easy to turn a [totalitarian, rule of one] government towards [democracy, rule of the people] in a day."

"...you're seriously attempting that?"

"I am."

Rekhyt rubs at his face. "Are you dead set?"

"I am."

Rekhyt rises with a glance at the bar. A frown curves his lips, but the two of you leave the dimly lit establishment and set off on the cracked brick streets. A chill begins to blow in as the warmth of the daily sun fades, leaving you with the night above. You cannot see many stars above -- the light pollution of the inner city shines too brightly.

"I heard a saying once, Rekhyt."

"Hmmh?"

"Man fears the darkness, so he builds cities to scrape away at it."

"It's a truthful saying, if not one I've heard before. But if that's the case, why did my father build this city?"

"I was hoping you could answer that question."

"Outlanders have always feared the dark of the wastes at night. Beetles. Abominations. Other clans. Barkers. There are many things in the dark. My father tried to scrape away that darkness -- but bright lights cast darker shadows."

He pulls masks from his bag, a white face with brightly colored lines and a too-wide smile showing sharp teeth. For you, you notice, he has purchased one with an angelic face half consumed by flames.

"You came prepared?"

"I always do."

You step into a derelict building and descend a staircase. A long galley from the red stone beneath the city expands out below you. The great ribs of the reddish-grey rock remind you of some beast's belly, and the only light comes from dim lanterns. The benches where the buyers sit are cast into darkness. You and Rekhyt take a seat in silence.

Huddled masses in iron chains sit a great cage by the stage. A hard-eyed, tanned man strapped with muscles stands shirtless, his body marked with tattoo and ritual scar. A long mane of blond hair hangs past his shoulders, filled with bone charm. Guards stand close by, tensely eying the crowd.

[16-5] You sit clenched and patient as the youth and elderly are sold off to the crowd's dark figures. There are many peoples of SEED mixed in with unfortunate Outlander. You notice some of those Nothern Outlanders, some that look similar to Rekhyt --

He wraps a hand around your wrist gently. "This bothers you, doesn't it?"

"...yes."

"I didn't mean to make you sa--"

"It makes me angry." You interrupt, clenching your fist.

"Another will pop up if you destroy this one. And what of the slaves?"

"Don't mock m-"

"If we disrupt this place -- we need a plan for what to do after. What we will say, what we will do, how we will fight -- we can't go into this half-assed."

Give me permission -- give me a plan. I hate this.

"How did you know?"

"You had a certain look in your eyes when I said the word 'slave'."

"And you let me come?" You question, darkly.

"You're a free woman -- what can I do but help?"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:48:08 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: August 26, 2020, 04:51:01 pm »

Could there be a way to melt/break the chains farthest away from where they connect? That way they won’t be connected to each other/the wall and the fire might not be as damaging

Is there any silicon nearby? We could use that for chain breaking and not risk burning people in the process

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:37 pm »

Do this without obvious use of your powers.  We have plausible deniability as this place shouldn't technically be allowed to operate anyway.  Just found a bunch of SEED people and abused outlanders wandering around and directed them to come with us.

Use body enhancement only and stealth, take out the guards first with Rekhyt's help.  Then if possible remove the lanterns with controlled small scale detonations and attack the stage.  Create a light source for the slaves to run to and encourage them to follow you. 

Hard to pull off with just 2 people against an unknown number of enemies.

The buyers also seem to value their anonymity/  Perhaps attacking that first would have the best chance of reducing the size of the next gathering like this.  If you could find a way to light up the viewing gallery without overtly displaying your abilities.

Maybe there is a better plan, but permission to act?  Ha, yes.  Given if you need it.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: August 26, 2020, 05:39:29 pm »

You absolutely have my permission.  First, however, could you gather some information?  Where and how do they get their slaves, who are most of their buyers, how long this sort of thing has been around in these parts, how common is it, that sort of thing.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: August 26, 2020, 05:48:20 pm »

You have my permission to act

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: August 26, 2020, 06:39:45 pm »

"Can you tell me about the slave trade?"

"Intimately."

"Where and how do they get them?"

"Raids and Raids. No place is safe."

"Who are most of the buyers?"

"Rich clans and individuals -- to do work that no free man wants to cheaply," Rekhyt explains, answering your next question, smoothly. "Usually, the planting and harvesting of crops. Some are less...fortunate."

"And how long have they've been -- "

"Slavery? Forever -- but the institutions that have formed have been within the last fifty years or so." Rekhyt shrugs, "It was a lot more small-scaled. More honorable. A warrior kept what they captured and no more."

You turn your appraising eye to the stage once more --

[9] Nine armed Outlanders are guarding the stage, and, by extension, the slaves. While not armed with a gun, the man on the stage has a cruel-looking whip and a thin, curved sword at his hip.

[12] They have las-guns, and are armored in what looks like bioplastic armor. Each has a helmet, and uniformity about them. They stand stoic and stiffly -- experienced. Each of them wears a blank mask -- no doubt matching the expression behind it. Knives are at their belts, as one would expect.

[-]The lamps are burning a hydrocarbon, of some sort, judging by the soot -- separating the two to control the hydrogen...you don't know what it would do.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:54:31 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: August 26, 2020, 07:22:49 pm »

Do we have the currency that Samkrend said he would give us?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: August 26, 2020, 07:25:33 pm »

He's currently in possession of it, and would give it to you if you so request.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: August 26, 2020, 07:26:38 pm »

Could we just buy all the slaves, free them and get them safely out of the way, and then commence with the combat?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: August 26, 2020, 07:27:39 pm »

...I don't think he has enough money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: August 26, 2020, 07:29:11 pm »

How about something subtle, like giving the guards brain hemorrhages, one after another?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: August 26, 2020, 07:31:18 pm »

Is that the plan?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: August 26, 2020, 11:24:11 pm »

My suggestion is: Start by trying to take out the guards by causing brain hemorrhages, one guard at a time.  Stop before you are starving, so that you will still be able to use your powers.  Unless they're all dead, shout in the Outlander tongue "I'm a doctor, let me see them!"  Use the opportunity to approach one of the dead or injured guards, grab their gun, and use it to quickly kill any that remain.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:25:44 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: August 26, 2020, 11:49:21 pm »

This... is going to be a bit more complicated than just murdering the guards.

We drop every guard here with strength of will, or with a few well-placed las-bolts, or what have you. Then what? How do we safely extricate the captives in the ensuing tumult, and where do we take them once we're clear? How do we minimize any political fallout that follows?

Most of all: what is the final scope of your action here to be? Are you breaking up a single gathering-- or opening war against the entire Outlander slave trade?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: August 27, 2020, 12:25:10 am »

Considering that most of these slaves are "Priests," our people, and have been illegally captured, since technically slave trading is forbidden here, the political fallout should be minimal, even if the crowd is able to identify us despite our mask and non-use of obvious powers.  We can bring them with us to the palace, claim they are our purchased slaves or our rescued people, and transport them back to the Holyland when we are done here.

Alternatively, Rekhyt will probably know a good, secret safehouse for them for now, and we can pick them up when we leave this place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:38:40 am by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 381