00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252442 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4965 on: August 24, 2020, 02:25:43 pm »

Take a look at the currencies used.  Are their foreign coins or bills in addition to the jade and gold coins of the Outlanders?  Also, inspect some of the technology and determine how advanced it is in comparison to that of the Holyland.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: August 24, 2020, 04:31:38 pm »

[-] The coinage is the only accepted currency, you notice. Moneychangers sit at every other corner under heavy guard, usually beside an 'idol' of Money. You do note that gold and jade are not the only coins -- rather, just the highest form. Smaller, thinner coins of bronze and silver are used in smaller transactions. Las-guns and rifles, however, seem to be acceptable for bartering, if one transaction is to be believed.

"Magazines and Ammo are also accepted for barter." Rekhyt explains when you question, trailing behind you quietly. He seems content with letting you explore -- and his presence seems to make others uncomfortable. The urchins that linger look pointedly away from you. Guards don't make eye contact. The Merchants offer him things of note and worth -- but they offer it to Khudal.

You approach one of the technology stalls, examining the wares.
Spoiler: Random Tech Stall (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: August 24, 2020, 04:40:27 pm »

Vacuum tubes... do these people have computers?  There's some stuff here we might want to take a closer look at.

Inspect the tube.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:42 pm »

[-]They are incredibly crude. You don't have much skill in electronics to ascertain if they would work or not --

"Ah, do you have a console in need of repair?" The vendor approaches, a tall outland man with brown hair streaked with red. "I can fix them for you. Sometimes these [lit, sparkholders] don't work well."

"How would you tell."

"They are fragile -- I usually inspect them before purchase, of course!" He picks one up, and gives it a shake. It rattles loudly. He gestures, "This one is broken -- you can even see the loose part within. These are salvaged, but I have some freshly made."

"How do you make them?"

"I purchase from local craftsmen. They would know."

"What do you use them for?"

"Repairing broken Priest technology, of course. It doesn't work quite as well, but its cheaper than buying new -- especially these days."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: August 24, 2020, 04:51:25 pm »

"Right, thanks.  Can you show me one of the consoles?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: August 24, 2020, 04:55:37 pm »

Gas masks, solar panels, the portable foundry, and the mechanical limbs seem important, we could ask about the box, learn why it clicks when we approach, is it detecting heat? Electricity?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: August 24, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »

Such fine jades they work in this city! We used to call the white nephrite [mutton fat], in the stone-dealing trade-- Terran slang. Greasy pale.

Be sure to get some exploring of your own in, once you're done poking through the machinery here! We elders are clumsy at such things-- you've noticed, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:14:29 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: August 24, 2020, 05:16:19 pm »

"Ah...of course." He brings you over to the mineral scanner, plugging in a small cord. SEED script runs across the screen after a button press. There's a pulse of energy from it, and the display is -- blank. "This is a good mineral scanner. Refurbished. Runs exactly the same-"The screen glitches, before returning to display nothing of note. Its duty done, it shuts off.

The gas masks range from simple contrapations of filter paper to the heavy-grade Crusader gear that is standard issue. "Crusader Gas masks -- good for dangerous caves or dust, or chemical weapons."

The portable foundry has an electric powered forge to heat small amounts of metals to process them into ingots. It has a blower to pull oxygen in or out, depending on the process. There's a sturdy anvil, another heater for shaping metal already in ingot form, a collapsible barrel, you assume for water or oil. It also contains a welding apparatus and a number of chisels, swages and dies, molds...so on. It also comes with a leather apron and a pair of protective lenses. Among the materials, you note, is a number of powders and chemicals -- "Barker, Crusader, and Insect ash and bone dust."

The solar panels range from [1m] by [1m] to an entire portable array with multiple connections. SEED technology, judging by the high quality and use of bioplastics.

When you near the mechanical limbs, the man grins wide, "A curios! A good friend of mine raided in the SEED lands. He slew a great demon there, and brought back the limbs." Your stomach turns when you reach down to brush away dust and debris -- the Thornton's Thorn is etched into the metal of a plated bicep.

"And this came from a friend -- a Priest was in the wastes and needed food. Clad in heavy robes, he traded this odd box for food. It clicks near places of bad spirits. Odd--someone left it on." He switches the clicking machine off, smiling wide.

"What do these spirits do?"

"They can cause sickness; hair loss, stomach -- some can rot the skin from your bones! Protection from them is incredibly important."

"Should I be standing so close to you?" Rekhyt grins, snatching up the box and bringing it close to you. "It says [low danger, limit exposure to ten hours a day]?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: August 24, 2020, 05:20:39 pm »

A Geiger counter or scintillator used to detect harmful radiation.

"A Priest... do you mean one of the peoples of the Holyland?  Also, what is that auto-injector for?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: August 24, 2020, 05:25:28 pm »

"Yes." And when you question about the auto-injector, he just looks confused. It's a leather cuff with auto-injectors hastily stitched into the working. A small set of wires lead to buttons that attach to the wrist. "It...it auto-injects? They sell vials nearby of various chemicals. They're popular closer to the Holyland."

Rekhyt glances from the box to you, then shrugs and sets it back down. The vendor walks back over to shut it off -- his pleasant smile never fades. Rekhyt turns it back on. The vendor turns it back off. Rekhyt turns it back on. The vendor gives him a pained look, and leaves it on to click through the conversation.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:30:43 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:14 pm »

We're radioactive, I guess.  Any advanced technology here seems to be stolen or traded from the Holyland.  They already have uses for our technologies, which is a good sign.

"Thank you for your patience.  One last question: what is that finger-length tube of hydrogen used for?"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: August 24, 2020, 05:35:17 pm »

Is picking up traces of the other day's fusion experiments, I imagine! Clever little click-box.

<Ascended... aren't typically radioactive, are they?>

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: August 24, 2020, 05:53:00 pm »

"Starting fires! Better than flint and steel." The Vendor snatches one up, and Rekhyt drifts over nearby the man. With a press of a button, a small, controlled flame of hydrogen burns forth. "See! Useful."

[16+1 vs 18] Rekhyt pockets one of the tubes in silence -- a quick movement of his fingers to snatch it up, a twist to hide it within his hand and a smooth, natural movement to stow it in his pocket. "Fascinating." He states. "[Look, Goddess, he too is a god.]"

The vendor doesn't notice.

>
Spoiler: Radiation (click to show/hide)

You thank him for his time, and he finally gives you one sour look. The two of you drift through the market towards whatever stall might strike you or your Ancestor's fancy. You glance over at Rekhyt and notice him lighting a rolled tube of herbs with the stolen lighter. You lift your brow -- you didn't even see him stop or stray from your side.

"Did you bring another?"

"No. But -- " This time you watch him carefully as he melts into the crowd. He hunches down, and, with the easy grace of practice, shoplifts another rolled tube. He returns to your side and passes it to you. You grin despite yourself as he lights the lighter and cups it, extending it out to you.

"Thank you."

"When a beautiful lady asks for something, she usually gets it." Rekhyt smoothly states, then grins, "But I need to play nice with you, so."

[6] You wait until you start walking again before sticking a foot out at the exact right moment -- graceful Rekhyt falls head over heels and eats brick. "I deserved that." He grumbles as he rises, grinning.

"You did." You coldly state, grinning.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: August 24, 2020, 06:04:24 pm »

What now?  Should we look at drugs, guns, or melee weapons?  Or go somewhere else?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: August 24, 2020, 06:36:34 pm »

I've wondered for some time now, about the Outlanders' knives and their Barker-bone handles-- ever since that tent-booth in Steelworks 09. Could seek out a stall, ask Rekhyt about the culture behind such blades?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 381