Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 404 405 [406] 407 408 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478938 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #6075 on: December 15, 2021, 11:03:41 am »

hey it's just some mild myocarditis
Bold choice to introduce Robert Malone to the thread is all I'll say
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:10:26 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: December 15, 2021, 11:31:59 am »

On a slightly different note regarding side effects of the vaccine, has anyone heard of it or any other vaccines causing new food allergies in adults?  I don't know that it's related, but I developed a new sensitivity or allergy to both black tea and whatever is in this peppermint herbal tea in my pantry a few weeks after I got the second dose.  I have a brother who is quite allergic to black tea so it could be totally unrelated, but the timing is suspicious.

There's no way to know that it caused it, but I am curious if this is a known potential side effect from vaccines in general.  Unfortunately, trying to research that on Google has become impossible because any search query with the word vaccine in it is dominated by unrelated results. 

I got a third dose about two weeks ago and it doesn't seem to have caused any new issues at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: December 15, 2021, 11:42:01 am »

I've heard no such thing, no. I went into it having all kinds of food allergies to begin with and I don't think anything's changed in that regard. I just got a little better at identifying substances that destroy my insides.

I'll miss you, onions. Garlic, we might need to have a talk.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: December 15, 2021, 11:55:57 am »

I agree that the development was NOT rushed. Also: I do think and hope life threatening maladies can be fast-tracked when possible. I hope itbwill be possible more often with a  hopefully likely greater commitnent to healthcare from goverments, too.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: December 15, 2021, 12:09:57 pm »

In reality, the vaccine programmes were not rushed, merely compressed out of expediency.

That's literally just corpo speak for rushed
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: December 15, 2021, 12:18:20 pm »

*groan* No it´s not.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/human-regulatory/overview/public-health-threats/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/treatments-vaccines/vaccines-covid-19/covid-19-vaccines-development-evaluation-approval-monitoring

Several parts of the testing and development process were done simultaneously. This was in part thanks to improved logistics, and in part thanks to copious ammounts of funding (IE: there was both money upfront AND a commitment to buy large amounts of the drugs at preestablished prices. This gave companies security to start mass production AHEAD of approval).

Stop saying it was rushed. It was not rushed. All vaccines went through rigorous testing before the market. Seriously, if we can make this kind of approval process more standarized for orphan designations the world will be better off for it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 12:19:52 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: December 15, 2021, 12:42:56 pm »

Chairman, you are saying it was rushed. The majority of the your link -- the parts that aren't about the standard procedure -- is explaining how the development was rushed.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: December 15, 2021, 02:17:03 pm »

Maybe technically, but "rushed" kinda implies that safety was compromised.  That's certainly what most people mean when they say the vaccine was rushed.  But the steps weren't rushed, just performed simultaneously.

There was additional risk that effort and money would be wasted, but the reliability of the testing wasn't compromised.  So I'm going to avoid saying that the vaccine was rushed because that conveys an entirely incorrect message.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: December 15, 2021, 03:02:47 pm »

Expedited. Not waved through without checking, just making sure everyone was ready to make the checks as soon as possible. In some cases, reviewing (and, if necessary, querying) the initial data without waiting for the final phases of data.

If anything, it's safer. If the study group don't pick up AEs during collection, the review group(s) get opportunity to alert them as they perhaps spot them. And before the guinea-pigs test subjects are all subject to the entire possibly erroneous trial. (See the Theralizumab Phase I incident for something done in good order but - at least by later recommendations - 'rushed'.)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: December 15, 2021, 03:12:23 pm »

All I know is that even myocarditis or whatever being maybe 2-10x the background rate sounds scary (10 times as bad! wow!), but when it started out at like 4-10 cases per million population, going to something like 10-40 per million after a second/third booster - yeah I'm not going to lose sleep about that.

Humans are just bad at understanding the difference between relative and absolute risk, and there are parties that like to abuse that poor level of understanding.

I mean seriously, if you can double your chances at winning the lottery, is that a good choice? What about trying to get your chances at winning the lottery 100x better?

...and this isn't even considering that the useful comparison isn't the vaccine compared to no vaccine and not getting sick - the useful comparison is the vaccine compared to the probability of effect without a vaccine, which includes getting COVID.  Unless I'm mistaken and the "background rate" was updated to be recent history including the "background" rate of infected people rather than the long-term rate that probably doesn't include COVID infections.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: December 18, 2021, 05:47:12 am »

We're heading back into full lockdown out of fear for omikron. This evening, our government will hold a press conference in which they will order everything except essential stores such as supermarkets and pharmacies to be closed, including schools and universities.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Amaranth

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Dodger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: December 21, 2021, 12:15:18 am »

"Humans are just bad at understanding the difference between relative and absolute risk, and there are parties that like to abuse that poor level of understanding”
Exactly. Enjoy your new genome and subservience.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: December 21, 2021, 12:28:51 am »

A new genome? That’s a new one on microchips.

Also, subservience to what?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: December 21, 2021, 02:01:27 am »

Obviously to our reptilian overlords.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: December 21, 2021, 09:38:35 am »

Also, subservience to what?
The archonic wardens that run this prison planet
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*