Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478201 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #4815 on: January 09, 2021, 04:34:26 pm »

Why wouldn't they tell you who?  That seems like very vitally important information you should all have.  That's, like, the point of contact tracing.

Not to exaggerate, but this reminds me of those meat plants where sometimes employees would stop coming in, with no explanation from the company, and later it was discovered they'd died of Covid.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4816 on: January 09, 2021, 04:44:20 pm »

Shenanigans with vaccines. I'd sincerely hope that it had no takers, but a multiple of £5k is a lot.

(The other day there was a completely different scam reported.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4817 on: January 09, 2021, 04:51:09 pm »

Why wouldn't they tell you who?  That seems like very vitally important information you should all have.  That's, like, the point of contact tracing.

Not to exaggerate, but this reminds me of those meat plants where sometimes employees would stop coming in, with no explanation from the company, and later it was discovered they'd died of Covid.

Company sharing personal medical information of an employee with third parties?  That's a fast lane to lawsuit and getting fined for breaking the law.  Contact tracing is the appropriate medical organisation's responsibilty, not an employer's.

Besides, for contact tracing purposes it is completely unnescessary to reveal the identity of a vector to others.  The only thing that is important is that those people who were in contact are told they might have been exposed and need to quarantaine.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 07:54:48 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4818 on: January 09, 2021, 07:13:34 pm »

I have had literally dozens of my students come down with covid, and not once been asked by any authority to isolate or get tested.

I mean, I was tested (negative) in October as an outpatient (non covid related minor surgery), but since then? Nope. Seems close educational contact doesn't feature in the list of concerns.
This is a blank sig.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4819 on: January 09, 2021, 07:22:46 pm »

It should be in the list of concerns

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4820 on: January 09, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »

I have had literally dozens of my students come down with covid, and not once been asked by any authority to isolate or get tested.

I mean, I was tested (negative) in October as an outpatient (non covid related minor surgery), but since then? Nope. Seems close educational contact doesn't feature in the list of concerns.

Yeah, "Essential" workers seems to mean expendable workers.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: January 10, 2021, 01:22:02 pm »

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-study-uncovers-blood-vessel-damage-inflammation-covid-19-patients-brains-no-infection

Some covid patients have signs of brain damage, capable of causing symptoms similar to multiple-infarct dementia.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: January 10, 2021, 09:06:48 pm »

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-study-uncovers-blood-vessel-damage-inflammation-covid-19-patients-brains-no-infection

Some covid patients have signs of brain damage, capable of causing symptoms similar to multiple-infarct dementia.

I had heard that permanent damage similar to the lung growths were noticed in the heart and brain as well.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: January 10, 2021, 09:11:52 pm »

Over the past 10 weeks, the number of infected worldwide doubled, from 45 million to 90 million, according to the John Hopkins University.
22 million of these are in the US, more than double the amount of India (10.5 million)

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: January 11, 2021, 04:09:35 am »

Is there a site showing covid vaccine production rates? I'm interested in seeing the rate of increase of production over time, current production, and forecasted production. I've heard that some of the 2nd dose are being opened for use as initial dose in places, and I'm wondering if they are matching it to greater than expected current production rate or utilizing forecasted production.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: January 11, 2021, 07:55:56 am »

Is there a site showing covid vaccine production rates? I'm interested in seeing the rate of increase of production over time, current production, and forecasted production. I've heard that some of the 2nd dose are being opened for use as initial dose in places, and I'm wondering if they are matching it to greater than expected current production rate or utilizing forecasted production.

They are flailing about in desperation as they have for the last few months. There is no site available listing production AFAIK, but for what I read around the production rates are LOWER.  I've received reports of armed attacks on shipments. There's not enough vaccine to go around, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: January 11, 2021, 08:56:19 am »

I've not heard of the armed attacks (perhaps because the problem here seems to he more availability of vials, plus the usual confusion of distribution), but given the prior hacking/spearfishing of various global distributors, I woud not be surprised if a bad actor or two were now giving clues to various militia-ish groups as to where would be a good place to show up...

The first news item (across aggregators) that I could find specifically querying distribution that was less than two weeks old (the others were November as well as December) summarises some of Europe's experiences, but I couldn't immediately find full production values (even just for Puurs, Kalamazoo, etc) unless I skipped over them in my haste.

Heard on the news last night: "All UK adults will be given[1] the vaccine by autumn." So I expect mine next year, just after the fifth or sixth all-nation lockdown is instituted. Because that's how things roll, here, unless politics changes drastically in the meantime.

[1] Or at least offered?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: January 11, 2021, 12:29:26 pm »

(UK stats: 2.6 million doses so far given to 2.3 million people. Not differentiated between the alternative sources. That's with the extended gap between 1st and 2nd dose, to spread the first ones further, so unknown if that ~300k 'completion' count will rise soon.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: January 11, 2021, 12:55:14 pm »

Heh unless armed vaccin robbers own extensive medical facilities that can keep it at -70C, they are not going to have much use for it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: January 11, 2021, 01:25:50 pm »

Heh unless armed vaccin robbers own extensive medical facilities that can keep it at -70C, they are not going to have much use for it.
Yeah. Of course they're desperate. They can smell their death, and the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as a warning to the rest.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 320 321 [322] 323 324 ... 459