Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 477381 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1605 on: March 24, 2020, 07:49:17 pm »

Well they aren't. Strict quarantines are still in place.

I dont think we're going back to normal after this either. Some restrictions might be loosened up. But I doubt there will be any major mass event until a vaccine is developed.
ASCO was already cancelled in favor of an online congress. I expect everyone else to follow suit soon.

Holy shit, what's it like to live somewhere so sane?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 24, 2020, 07:56:59 pm »

Perhaps worst of all, we still labor under the unanswered question, looming like the blade of an axe: What is the immunity period of a COVID-19 infection?

The answer changes everything. If it's lifetime, we'll be safe at least from this strain once global herd immunity is accomplished. A bloody, but functional solution. If it's thirty years, same deal but we absolutely have to globally distribute the vaccine once it has been found, if it is found. If it's less than ten years, than most likely the governments of the world will fail to prevent this from happening a second time, assuming they have the vaccine by then.

If it's a year or less, we're in serious trouble. We're talking about either an end to global trade and travel or an end to people over the age of 70.

It doesn't appear to lack an immunity period, as I think even China would still be riddled with cases if we were facing something like that. I sure hope not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 24, 2020, 07:59:48 pm »

Meanwhile in the US we're on a countdown to see whether Trump is properly chastened (hah!) by the results of spring outbreak--which is what I predict it will be called after we realize we should have canceled that shit sooner--or if he gets his way and starts trying to trigger a restart of the economy while encouraging people to go mingle again in two weeks.

I was explaining to the missus how I'm still grateful he's such a stupid fucking moron, because he's shown clear admiration for strongman leader types, because if he wasn't so unlikeable, so allergic to expertise, so incapable of leadership, so inexperienced at governing, and so utterly certain anyone who feels as I do must be wrong... he could have made an alarming amount of progress towards installing himself as a more enduring fixture because by and large our defense against presidents trying that has been that you'd have to be absolutely despicable and impossibly corrupt to even consider it seriously given how much disrespect it entails for the office itself so we just elected people who respected the office... until Trump.

I mean, even Nixon had some respect for it, the sense that part of his legacy would be the condition he left it in for his successors, none of which Trump has.

Here's a less comforting thought for you, how far he's made it with:

-No charisma that someone capable of sniffing out a used car salesmen can't see through.
-No tact.
-No religiosity other than claiming he has it.
-No integrity.
-No patience.
-No experience.
-No judgment.
-No filter.

If that big of a trainwreck can convince half the country they know what they're doing......it would take someone microscopically more competent to do that and get away with even more.

I seriously remember seeing pictures and commercials of Trump as a kid and thinking "Who is this sleazy guy in a nice suit?" At least in the 80s, he had a modicum of class. Now he's like the Jersey Shore of rich people.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 24, 2020, 08:03:12 pm »

Why is so much of this thread taken up with Trump-bashing?
Haha, I hit "new replies" this morning and there was some on the first page of new and it's still going eight pages later.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:56 pm »

Well they aren't. Strict quarantines are still in place.

I dont think we're going back to normal after this either. Some restrictions might be loosened up. But I doubt there will be any major mass event until a vaccine is developed.
ASCO was already cancelled in favor of an online congress. I expect everyone else to follow suit soon.

Holy shit, what's it like to live somewhere so sane?
We have our own problems. Look at the post above. The central goverment in Spain bungled up bad by allowing a feminist and an antifeminist rally on the 8th of march despite knowing Corona was already here. They've tried to cover that up, just as they've tried to cover up  the lack of PPEs, and the horrid situation in the worst afflicted areas, esp. Madrid. They also engaged in pure PR moves (like the "giant field hospital" in ifema, which in truth is just for show, see above). TV channels sound reminiscent of North Korean propaganda.
Tbh I felt more at ease when their obvious propaganda show moved on from saying evertything was OK and food supply was guaranteed (that last bit made me panic) to more regular political bickering.

Not that I think the Spanish conservative party would have done any better mind you. In fact, given their obvious francoist slant and the retarded things their leader has been saying on national tv, it'd have probably been worse. At least our moronic PM seems to have a plan now, and implemented a fairly hard lockdown on the 14th. But when this shit started he dropped the ball as much as any other European level. This lockdown is decent. But this lockdown on the 7th of march would have saved thousands of lives. And I honestly can't believe they didnt know this was coming. For fucks sake, the public health official who lied at the beginning about having the outbreak under control... these guys do NOTHING but crunch data. From the 4th onwards the data showed we were heading the way of Italy. He had to know. He had to fucking know.

Tbh regional goverments have done better and have acted faster overall. But they can only go so far by themselves.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:18:25 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:22 pm »

Why is so much of this thread taken up with Trump-bashing?
Haha, I hit "new replies" this morning and there was some on the first page of new and it's still going eight pages later.   

Gee I dunno, it's almost like he has a direct impact on the seriousness of the situation or something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 24, 2020, 08:22:21 pm »

So does most any person with power, whether it's in government or business.   
Y'all just jump at any chance for this sort of thing. :P   

Anyway, I had to go to the supermarket yesterday, unfortunately. It was kind of entertaining, though. Where I'm staying currently is regional/semi-rural, and I don't think there's been more than one confirmed case of the virus last I checked, but the panic is still well and truly underway.
The supermarket had extra security guards, there was no pasta besides lasagna sheets and, for some reason, spaghetti (I think they must stock the mostly-empty shelves with whatever they have a surplus of) and there were limits of how much you could buy of most things per transaction.   
Only saw one or two folks wearing masks, though. Hopefully nobody breathed on me, but then I try to avoid close proximity to people at the best of times so I don't think they had too much opportunity to do so?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 24, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »

Because my state doesn't have the resources to stop it on our own and we're just going to kind of suffer horrifically.

And there's a real chance he forcibly reopens the economy. He's already been talking about it, and people follow his lead. Already some governors, like in Ohio and Florida, are resisting measures because they're quoting Trump's "The cure can't be worse than the disease." Florida's at 1,400 cases and has a lot of old...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 24, 2020, 09:01:27 pm »

It isn't bashing for unrelated reasons, he is almost singlehandedly responsible for the US handling this pandemic like a failed state, it is so much worse here than it had to be, and while blame doesn't always trickle upwards it does when you're dealing with a moron who takes every opportunity to do the right thing and uses it as another chance to own the libs by crashing the economy and ranting about old scores he wants settled.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 24, 2020, 09:07:54 pm »

He spent half his chances to do shit about it either denying it or blaming democrats, and often goes on racist tirades about how its china's fault.  His administration defunded everything that could have helped in this situation.  He cares far more about how the economy will live and how he'll make money instead of the lives that actually voted for him.  And the country's already in a shit state before you even talk about him as heathcare in the US is a joke for the vast majority of its citizens.  Now he wants to undo quarantine early.

The main difference in all this instead of his usual shenanigans is that a lot of people are going to die directly from his decisions, but also especially his lack of decisions.  And the real horrific thought is that he'll once again suffer no concequences for his actions.  Because at no point in his life has he.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 24, 2020, 09:11:48 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/trvrb/status/1242628551557316608

Regarding vaccines and immunity for covid19

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 24, 2020, 09:35:48 pm »

Well, Trump is acting in way that is hard to parody.

1/22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
2/2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
2/24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
2/25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
2/25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
2/26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
2/27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
2/28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
3/2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
3/2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
3/4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
3/5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
3/5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
3/6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
3/6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
3/6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
3/6: "‘Does anybody die from the flu? I didn’t know people died from the flu.’"
3/6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
3/8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine-tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”
3/9: “This blindsided the world.”
3/13: "Today I am declaring a national emergency. Two very big words."
3/13: "No, I don't take responsibility at all."

( yes, entries are cherry picked to include just the most outrageous ones. Still, WTF is this? )

Seriously, my country had share of embarrassing presidents (and other politicians). For example Kwaśniewski was drunk during official visit on cemetery of Polish people murdered during WW II by Soviets. Komorowski jumping on a chair in a Japanese parliament.

But none was responsible for causing N deaths and BIGNUM $ economic losses while presenting themselves as a total idiot.

Seriously, this is so ridiculous that in a fictional story it would break my suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:40:00 pm by mko »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 24, 2020, 09:51:42 pm »

I'm having a bit of a moment of despair. Will things  even get back to if not normal, some semblance of normality? Or will this shit flare up AGAIN when restrictions are eased even a little?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:26 pm »

The first cases have been reported in my local community. If this is some sort of elaborate weeks-long cult suicide, I wish they'd at least given me a pamphlet and T-shirt.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 24, 2020, 09:57:30 pm »

Going by WHO numbers, China is down to less than 200 new cases a day, and some semblance of normal routine is returning. I'm more interested to see if anything changes here. It would be nice if people washed their hands with soap in public places here, but that's still not a common thing.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 459