Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone  (Read 33313 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER standalones and mods: Get in here, STALKER!
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 11:01:39 am »

Anomaly's repair system is such a cluster fuck :( :(

I have basic and advance tools, I have all needed replacement parts, I have a rifle repair kit, paid 1k rubles for using the god damned vice for 5 minutes and I still can't do shit. Either I 'm missing some kind of tool (read something about a barrel replacement kit) or Xenotech's vice is bugged because I can access it.

Turns out I've been trying to use the wrong vice.... I didn't see there is a second one on the "next room"

On the good news, you can equip a pistol in the knife slot.

On the plus side, you only really need the parts replacement system to repair practically junked items you've picked up from enemies. General wear and tear is easily fixed with the glues, oils and sewing kits you find on corpses. Once you get the achievement for giving a technician all 3 sets of tools you even get a buff to that sort of repairing. And if you really want to avoid the workbench stuff, technicians will repair items for a hefty fee.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 11:26:32 am »

I haven't played much in my playthrough so money is a too tight to hire a mechanic. Though I'm not sure if I'm going to use one later either, I really like that there is an option to salvage equipment and restore it's functionality.

It's just that whoever developed said system either has no idea how guns are assembled/disassembled or was to occupied with "game ballance" to care about it. So we end up with a system that is needlessly complicated in my opinion.

Currently I've managed to restore an AK-74, a sphere 8 helmet and I'm working on fixing a Beryl-5 armor suit. All of them generously donated by the friendly local military.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 11:48:59 am »

Thanks to some comments at moddb , i could get my "Living legend" campaign fixed (it's one of the several campaigns that comes with the Lost to the Zone : Storylines addon for Call of Chernobyl 1.4.22) and take my old save from before it went bugged and finally complete that campaign.
It was great fun to finally see the end of it.

Then i moved to the "Mortal Sin" campaign that i played rather far until now that i just had a mission involving a massive battle over Limansk , fighting along a lot of friendly stalkers vs lots of Sin and Monolith guys led by a few very resilient special Sin leaders. That was tremondous fun (especially as i had modded weapons, ammo penetrations to deal more damage  as by default 1.4.22 gunplay is all about everyone , you included, being bullet sponges not really much immersive).

At some point of the battle i got into some enemy crossfire right on me that hurt me very badly through my exo (supported by some very good artifacts) so i managed to hide in a large  building to bandage and heal while my allies were killing and being killed outside , then once back to okay i could support them through the window.
Until some Sin members finally entered my hideout and we had some firefight in the house :D

That Lost to the Zone : Storylines addon is really making CoC a lot better.
That addon require the base Lost to the Zone addons to be already installed (that itself requires DoctorX Questlines).
Can't wait to complete this campaign and move to the 3rd one to see if it's still as fun.

I think that addon comes already installed with the Anomaly mod as on my quick try i noticed some Living Legend quest, no idea if it has all the campaigns from the Call of Chernobyl 1.4.22 version as i went back to my modded Call of Cherno in which i have more fun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:53:29 am by Robsoie »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 07:43:15 pm »

im putting this here because, while plotwise and stuff it isn't a STALKER game, Chernobylite (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/) is blatantly a STALKER game.

very early access but also very promising. will pick up when i get paid tomorrow (ya'll know i support early access that looks promising) and will report back this weekend.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 08:20:53 pm »

I recently completed the Operation Afterglow (the 3rd storyline available thanks to the Lost to the Zone Storyline addon for CoC 1.4.22) , some bugs though in the end (fortunately fixed by looking into the moddb comments) .

It was some nice fun, though some difficulty in this 3rd campaign as there are some quests of it that can only happening when going into a specific locations after some of the quests that you are never told or hinted to anywhere (only figured out those couple of quests places by checking the addon files and dialogs).

Good time for me to say goodbye to my old long lived character that is a bit overpowered by now and start a new one in the Mercenary faction or give a try to the survival mod in ironman setting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:22:54 pm by Robsoie »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2019, 08:26:28 pm »

im putting this here because, while plotwise and stuff it isn't a STALKER game, Chernobylite (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/) is blatantly a STALKER game.

so, first thoughts.
its got good graphics and atmosphere: it feels like an improved STALKER game at first but quickly goes off the rails. '
plotwise, its quite trippy scifi with some reality spliced in. gameplay wise, it has this base building mechanic: ala Fallout 4 where you build up your hideout and can invite companions to stay and help you. you can assign them to missions to get some resources so you can build stuff and you can go and do these missions yourself, and they're basically small STALKER maps where you can scavenge materials to build stuff at your HQ. there might be mutants or soldiers in your way, side events to do (i saved a soldier from being trapped in a building and he promised to "return the favor"), and the gunplay is stiff and enemy ai is rather... braindead so far. they will chase you and stand still to shoot you.
there's a main story to pursue as you build up and though its not implemented; theres a endgame 'heist' mechanic to steal plot macguffins, ala GTA 5. its unimplemented so far, so i can't comment on it.

all in all if you're a stalker fan, put it on your wishlist and check on its development. cuz with some effort, filling out and polishing, it is very promising.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 01:41:59 pm »

Slight necro but I don't think I should start a new thread for this.

I'm probably a little late to the party but it seems like STALKER 2 is back in development.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2020, 02:50:32 pm »

unreal engine for better modding, eh? looks like the good lads at GSC know their fanbase.

still looking forward to it while im still having fun with Anomaly (its up to 1.50 update 4 hotfix 8 ). i know we don't know much about the game itself yet but i hope there's references to the og games, like Clear Sky (i personally liked this one but with mods, of course) and that strelok has turned into a folk legend.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:10:48 pm by JimboM12 »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2020, 03:10:35 pm »

i dont know what happened there, lol. accidental double post.

while i have the space, theres an isometric RPG called AtomRPG which is sort of soviet Fallout, but the sense it gives me in atmosphere is really more stalker-ish. its a decent rpg that i could recommend.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:12:16 pm by JimboM12 »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 03:19:28 am »

I can't remember where I saw it or how it is called but some months (maybe a year) ago I saw a video about another isometric game with very strong stalker aesthetics. It was in early developement/kickstarter at that point and some models looked like they were imported straight from stalker (placeholders maybe?). I think the plot was about a guy looking for his brother.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 10:56:20 am »

I can't remember where I saw it or how it is called but some months (maybe a year) ago I saw a video about another isometric game with very strong stalker aesthetics. It was in early developement/kickstarter at that point and some models looked like they were imported straight from stalker (placeholders maybe?). I think the plot was about a guy looking for his brother.

Was it Underrail by any chance?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 11:45:38 am »

I think I found it. I'm not sure that was the video I had watched but still..

Tunguska: The Visitation

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2020, 04:40:30 am »

DoctorX standalone mod "Call of the Zone" has been released :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doctorx-call-of-the-zone

Got a very fun start after selecting to play a Loner in Cordon.

Cordon was a bit empty (the mod only progressively spawn npc squads, so it will take a couple of days to get the maps normally populated, this will be changed a bit in further updates from what i read) in comparison to my modded CoC , Sidorovich asked me to led a group of new loners to a specific location in the Darscape.
Not an uncommon quests as i got them already on my good old CoC, fortunately Darkscape is right next to Cordon so not a long walk.

Also very easy as i had to move through the car park that was empty at that time (due to how squad spawning works in that mod) so there wasn't any problem out of avoiding a nasty angry military helicopter.

Another damned helicopter once i was in the Darkscape started to get shots at us, but we lost only 1 guy (nice a free shotgun to replace my lowly handgun ! ) , once i reached location and so the quest completed, i sprinted back to Sidorovich so the military chopper couldn't get me.

Obtained a better armor than my starting one as a reward, but no money :( , then decided to move to the farm in order to get the mechanic to repair a bit (so i thought i had enough money) my nearly undamaged shotgun .
The bridge checkpoint wasn't empty , but oddly instead of the usual hostile military it was guarded by neutral clear sky guys (the whole zone maps being active is enabled by default in the mod), great so i wouldn't have to fight my way through it or try the risky tunnel.

The mechanic guy was just too expensive for my small wallet, but he gave me his "find my toolbox" task, difference from my modded CoC is that the toolbox had been stolen by a bandit so i was actually tasked to hunt that guy instead of just having to find a toolbox somewhere in random loots like in CoC.
The bandit was in Garbage so not too far but still a bit of a walk.

I decided to make a stop to the buildings that are on the opposite side of the road near the farm to check if i could loot a couple of wood crates.
Bad idea as there were a few bandits there, i spotted 2 so with my shotgun i thought i had my chances.
Killed the first before he even knew i was there, the 2nd open fire but i was behind some hard cover (the wall)

I walked in the opposite side of the building in order to take that bandit by surprise as he was busy shooting my wall, but it's where i was surprised myself by a 3rd bandit i didn't knew was there. He opened fire and i fell on the ground, black screen ... but not dead ?
Oh that's something new to me, after a while my character opened his eye, only with a pitifull handgun left in hand, my equipment has been taken and i gained a new task "Vendetta" in which i had to hunt down the guy that stole my stuff.

I looted the bandit i killed and got another (more damaged) shotgun, hopefully it would be enough.

None was in the building anymore and there's no map hint, so i moved back to the military checkpoint to ask the clear sky guys if they saw my target, and fortunately for me they did and pointed me to the guy location.
They were 2 bandits, i approached them from the back hiding behind trees. they were walking toward the road and ... exploded in an anomaly that had appeared there (the mod has random anomaly capable of changing position each time there's an emission).

Lost all the loot sadly but man what a way for them to go :D

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2020, 04:12:46 am »

Oh man, I just started a new playthrough in Anomaly a couple of days ago. Now I'm debating whether I should put it on hold and give CoTZ a try because these new quests and the blackout system sound really nice!

How is it's performance (compared to base CoC and/or Anomaly)?

ps It seems like the first 3rd party addons for CoTZ are staring to appear with lokStrek's weapon pack (compiled from OWR and STCOP) being the first.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2020, 04:26:12 am »

From my test, CotZ performance is better than Anomaly because it does not feature the tons of very high res textures and high res models + truckload of useless junk items found in Anomaly.
Those things are better left to addons in my opinion instead of being built in.

Another advantage is the loading time is way faster (due to less massive textures to load i guess).
Only disadvantage is that there's no 64bits version of the engine (CotZ run on the CoC 1.5r4 engine from what i read) , so you'll have to not add too much high res addons to keep it from having a chance to get an out of memory crash.

It's relatively close to CoC in term of performance, but the meat of it is that there's more random tasks available, making the free roam gameplay more interesting than in default CoC.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:06:40 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8