Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Bureaucracy — Five o' clock  (Read 5498 times)

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy – First day on the job
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 01:42:53 am »

While the job isn't as hands-on as he hoped, Poz dutifully sifts through the data, painstakingly checking his work so that not even one little seedling is overlooked. The biggest catch is that his work order was unsigned, so he stuffs the final printout into a tube capsule directed to his immediate boss and hopes for the best. Filled with tender thoughts toward the tender shoots, the work is rewarding in its own way.

The work station, however, is not. After an uncomfortable morning hunched down to reach his keyboard, Poz seeks out the supply catalog to purchase a height adjustable shelf. He adds a couple items out of hope that he will soon have outdoor duties (truth be told, in his dry apartment, a water carrying backpack may have more than strictly job-related utility). He grimaces at the prices, mentally counting salary on his fingers, and hopes his desk enhancement will be sufficient.

When his designated lunch break comes around, he heads across campus to the cafeteria, wondering if he will see any of the faces he remembers from the truncated "party."
[5] Ahead of you in the lunch line is ever-recurring Ernathan Bernstein, and he gladly directs you to the "new guys" table. The only face you recognize there is Maria, who was in your tour group this morning. You pleasantly introduce yourself to everyone, and cleverly steer the conversation towards hamsters.

After lunch, a courier (Carl, another face from the tour) delivers your order. Once you sign the receipt, your hunching days will be over, but your sore legs will still want for the comfort of a chair.

Maria looks through the safety data sheets, waiting for a 12A-2 form. She doesn’t think she will be able to remember everything off the top of her head, so she will work on a case by case basis. As she can’t do her work quite yet, she heads to lunch when lunch break comes around
The lunches here are bland, but filling. Poz sits down at your table, and you try to ask him why the lunches are so tasteless even though the Ministry grows its own food, but he's too busy talking about his hamsters.

((I've added all the current forms and links to the OP. Since I was late with assigning some tasks, I will not penalize unfinished work when tomorrow's update comes.))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 05:33:33 am »

After dealing with some mice and moping up some chemical Burt went to lunch.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2019, 08:36:36 am »

"So I have two hamsters, Ariel and Kraken. Ariel is more of a homebody, but Kraken likes to roam so I made him a little harness and most days after work I leash Kraken and take him for a walk in the neighborhood. Oh, I forgot to ask Mr. Bernstein about the policy for bringing pets to work."

When Carl shows up, Poz politely thanks Carl for his prompt service, and signs and tubes the receipt while he watches. Poz also tries to discuss hamsters, if the other guy isn't too busy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:38:40 am by mightymushroom »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 09:19:07 am »

“How did you find hamsters? The only animals I found in the city were pigeons, various Arthropoda, and worms. I wonder if their hamster food is more flavorful than the Ministry’s food. Why is the Ministry’s food so bland when it grows its own?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2019, 11:43:25 am »

"I don't work in the kitchens, so I don't know much about making the food. I haven't really seen more than my desk yet. But you don't just find hamsters: you have to get a care certificate and fill out a pile of other paperwork. I qualified because I have a bunch of family in the Department of Food and Agriculture, so I was already studying that stuff sort of naturally. They're mostly on the aquarium and fish cultivation side, but I decided I'd rather work on land, caring for plants and stuff, probably why the bosses here thought I'd be a good fit for Green Building.

If you want I can introduce you to my cousin's uncle? He might know someone who knows someone who can get you a hamster license. Hamster food is pretty bland, too. Not as much of a metallic aftertaste, so I guess that's better."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2019, 11:58:04 am »

“I’m not sure if I’d be able to care for hamsters, but thanks for the offer”

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 02:28:34 am »

After dealing with some mice and moping up some chemical Burt went to lunch.
It's hard to eat such gruel, but at least it's more nutritious than that canned stuff back at home.

The next day, the traffic jam is worse than usual, and the four new-hires just barely make it on time, except for Poz, who took the bus again. Conveniently, his father's friend manager turns a blind eye.

On the way to his office, Poz sees the hallway vacuum tube has ruptured and there are canisters rolling everywhere! As a result, no new assignments can reach his mail tube.

Carl is asked to help deliver letters to and from Green Building until the problem is fixed, in addition to his regular assignment.

Maria and Smith continue their normal duties, but ripples from the event will soon reach them. They have other consequences to deal with, too: Maria has been let off with a warning for paperwork errors, and Smith has been fined $500 for improper disposal of hazardous waste refunded $500 following further investigation.

((Next update in about 2 days. Creating chores can be quite a chore!))
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:34:31 am by Pavellius »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy — The Ministry never sleeps
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 10:25:24 am »

After spending several hours scrubbing a loading bay and having to sweep up stuff in another he's finally finished and he gets to go home, where he'll sit and cry about the fact that he got fined $500, which puts him further away from his goal of being able to afford nice things.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 11:15:19 am »

Human Resources
[spoiler=Form 27B-6]
General Application Form 27B-6
Please fill out using a blue or black pen.

Last Name: Error-78394
First Name: Albot
M.I.: X
Sex: ERROR!
Permanent Residence Address: 8675309, Station 17b
If you own a Priority Rationing Certificate, write your PRC number in the space above:

What position are you applying for? Hazardous Waste Removal
What distinguishes a 27 type form from other 20 series forms? (Albot lists the digital source code for both forms in binary. Albot highlights each 1 and 0 which differs).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 12:05:35 pm »

maria Smith gets her forms done and sent, but realizes she made a mistake on one of them, so she sent a new form with the corrected information, then heads home to watch educational TV

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »

Human Resources
Spoiler: Form 27B-6 (click to show/hide)
Blue or black pen only! >:( >:( :P

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 01:00:53 pm »

Human Resources
Spoiler: Form 27B-6 (click to show/hide)
Albot points out that color is simply a "human" perception and that all electromagnetic radiation is "blue".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:06:14 pm by Roboson »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 02:08:35 pm »

Upon seeing the tube spillage, Poz's first instinct is to help, immediately contradicted by the knowledge that it's not his job. He hovers ineffectually for several minutes before spotting Carl with an armful of capsules heading into the Green building. Sure enough, there is a capsule on his desk when he arrives (quite tardy).

He hurries into his green coveralls and down the corridor to the V3 lab. What he finds is completely different from the expansive kelp tanks at the DoFaA; this room is full of medium size vats of technicolor liquid, as if a mad wizard had just stepped away from his alchemical laboratory. He sets to work charting growth as instructed, but in the back of his mind he keeps replaying Maria's question about the taste of the food. Since none of the hydroponic solutions look like actual water, he doesn't dare sneak a direct sample, but the question pesters him all day. What's in that stuff?

With his late start, it looks like the other new hires have already left for home by the time Poz hand delivers his report capsule to his boss's desk.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:24:03 pm by mightymushroom »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2019, 08:44:04 am »

After spending the previous day depressed over being fined $500 Burt came to work and had to spend several hours sorting through mail canisters, then later he found a letter in his shared office that was for him that not only said the $500 fine was removed and the manager might go to jail but also the possibility that he might get promoted and become the new manager, these were incredibly exciting times for Burt.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2019, 01:56:30 am »

maria Smith gets her forms done and sent, but realizes she made a mistake on one of them, so she sent a new form with the corrected information, then heads home to watch educational TV
Today's episode, entitled "Be Safe: Be Suspicious" follows Sam Citizen as he witnesses a suspicious man exchange briefcases with Sam's friend. Sam, who always does the right thing, promptly reports his friend and thus saves countless Ministry lives from the dirty bomb.

The green building mail tubes are back in operation by the next day, and it's back to business as normal for everyone. Except for Smith and Maria, that is. Maria has been transferred to Smith's previous position of Custodial Assistant since Smith has been promoted to Custodial Manager!

His two subordinates are Maria and an actual robot, Albot, who will share Maria's office and serve as the new Sanitation Associate. Smith's new assignment is to coach the new hire on how to identify and deal with hazardous waste reports using the two custodial forms. Maria and Albot will send their completed forms to him, and he must check their work and deincentivize mistakes.

In other news, Poz keeps striving to impress! His reports are growing more analytic, and it's clear his entry-level position cannot fulfill his great potential. However, in his rush to start work on time today, he knocks over a barrel in his assigned batch room, spilling hydroponic nutrient solution onto the floor!

Carl has been doing his job dutifully, but the increasing number of robots is making his warehouse job obsolete. He receives a letter from his manager with the cheeky instruction to delivery it to himself. The letter asks what other courier assignments Carl would be interested in, or if he's content with where he is right now.

((Next update in about two days. It will be a special update, so stay tuned!))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5