Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bureaucracy — Five o' clock  (Read 5489 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy – Paperpushers needed at the MOI!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 07:22:20 am »

Poz Dun attends the party. Rather than circling for ten minutes, he uses public transportation – which, efficiently, ends up dropping him off at the same muddy lot. Poz doesn't try to make any impression; his straightforward soul blithely accepts things as they appear, including himself. He wears a green cap, and will prefer to chat about plants, surfing, or hamsters.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 09:17:58 am »

The Ministry of Information is always looking for sharp, motivated individuals who know too much. Lucky for you, they've got some entry-level openings, too.

Did you get my reply?

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 09:44:51 am »

The Ministry of Information is always looking for sharp, motivated individuals who know too much. Lucky for you, they've got some entry-level openings, too.

Did you get my reply?
Yes. As per your job offer, you start working tomorrow. Also, you may go to the party.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »

Carl Stetlon will attend the party. The impression I will attempt to make is that of an attentive straight-laced employee. I will not attempt to impress anyone.
Poz Dun attends the party. Rather than circling for ten minutes, he uses public transportation – which, efficiently, ends up dropping him off at the same muddy lot. Poz doesn't try to make any impression; his straightforward soul blithely accepts things as they appear, including himself. He wears a green cap, and will prefer to chat about plants, surfing, or hamsters.
Carl and Poz walk side by side, saying nothing, trying to impress each other with their lack of impression. It takes 15 minutes to get to Ministry Plaza, and another 15 to find the party.

The coat check is manned by none other than Ernathan Bernstein. He offers his 10-gigawatt smile in exchange for your raincoats and galoshes. "Just show me your IDs, and I'll put you in the raffle!"

"What kind of ID?" asks Poz, his expression as formless as water.

"Your MOIID. You received it on your first day of work. I need to see it, actually, or I can't confirm your hiring status. This event is for newly-confirmed hires."

Carl shows Ernie the invitation. "What about this?"

"Ah, a mailing error, please excuse our computer banks! I can't let you in, but while you're on base, you should visit a hall console to order your office furniture and supplies," he says helpfully. "We provide your occupation-specific tools, but you can get your own brand-new set if you'd like. Just order soon while the queue is short."

Silver lining, you suppose.

Global Supply Catalog
Form 88I-8

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 06:10:19 am »

I sent my reply.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 06:51:02 am »

Maria enters the party, with the letters she received, and searches for the other new hires

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 07:32:53 am »

Poz accepts being turned away with some chagrin – he rarely gets invited to parties – but gamely follows Mr. Bernstein's lead and shambles over to a hallway ordering terminal. He begins to browse the catalog, turning around to remark, "Wow, they got just about everything here. Garden care section is a bit thin, though, maybe I should just wait to see what I've already got first."

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:15 pm »

The government declares a spontaneous holiday! Your jobs will start tomorrow instead. How do you spend your free time?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:50 am »

If the parties still going Burt will go and look around, if its not he'll just stay at home and look at all of his meager holdings.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 06:35:17 am »

Maria will go outside and watch whatever nonhuman animals still live in the city

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 08:33:38 am »

Poz will go home, water his own plants, and play with his hamsters.

((Do we have access to the catalog at home or is it only on Ministry terminals? Because if Poz looks a little further there's a portable drinking system he would buy. Or it can wait.))
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:35:56 am by mightymushroom »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 12:07:58 pm »

Carl Stetlon will show up to work anyway to confirm that he is actually starting tomorrow. His contract said he started today and he wouldn't want to be late to his first day at work.

After inevitably going home, Carl will make sure that he fills up on gas for his car and then go play video games or something.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 01:48:03 am »

Poz will go home, water his own plants, and play with his hamsters.

((Do we have access to the catalog at home or is it only on Ministry terminals? Because if Poz looks a little further there's a portable drinking system he would buy. Or it can wait.))
[1] You barely fill up a cup before the faucet runs dry. Your landlord must have cut into your water rations again. You give your hamsters a sip, and pour the remainder on your plants. Perhaps you should have bought cacti.

((Only at the Ministry.))

Carl Stetlon will show up to work anyway to confirm that he is actually starting tomorrow. His contract said he started today and he wouldn't want to be late to his first day at work.

After inevitably going home, Carl will make sure that he fills up on gas for his car and then go play video games or something.
You find no one at the plaza. So serene, it would be a nice place to take a walk, but you don't want to look suspicious on camera.

[6] Back at home, you find the new game you ordered has arrived! You spend the next couple hours in the land of Kadoria, searching for map fragments that will lead you to the lost catacombs.

Maria will go outside and watch whatever nonhuman animals still live in the city
[3] Pigeons above and bugs below. Worms wriggling in the puddles. Not much to see here.

If the parties still going Burt will go and look around, if its not he'll just stay at home and look at all of his meager holdings.
[3] Back at home, you count and recount all your coins. You stack up your food cans, sort out your clothes, reread old letters, and call it a day.

Chapter 2: The New Guys

All the new-hires get a tour of the plaza and are introduced to peculiarities of the Ministry, namely the vast network of vacuum tubes used to transfer documents in sealed canisters. Any employee can use the tube in their office to send and receive pneumatic mail (or PM for short). The first PM every employee receives includes their MOIID number.

After the tour, Poz reports to his manager who directs him to his new office in Green Building. Folded on his desk is his technician's uniform and beside it his toolbox. Both have clearly seen years of use, but at least they're clean. He won't need the tools today, because he has been assigned to "data duty," and will spend the whole day standing at his desk going over hydroponic batch yields.

Carl finds himself at home in his little office in Grey Building, but only has the time to get his PM before being led to the warehouse to pick up his first package. As the new guy, he is only entrusted with delivering office supplies, tools, and the like.

Maria's manager gives her the hazmat suit she'll be using for "the rest of her days." The vacuum tube in her new office is nearly clogged with reams safety data sheets that describe all the chemicals used and stored at the Ministry. She sits down on the floor, and begins sorting through her mail, when Smith enters her office.

Smith wonders if every new hire has to share an office with someone, or if only the employees of the cramped Brown Building are treated this way. They couldn't even give him his own desk and computer/printer! He and Maria even share the mail tube! With an exasperated sigh, he squats down and looks for his mail among all the papers.

I'll be sending out tasks today and tomorrow. Everyone has until the next update to complete them, which is in about two days.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:51:16 am by Pavellius »

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy – First day on the job
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 07:31:24 pm »

While the job isn't as hands-on as he hoped, Poz dutifully sifts through the data, painstakingly checking his work so that not even one little seedling is overlooked. The biggest catch is that his work order was unsigned, so he stuffs the final printout into a tube capsule directed to his immediate boss and hopes for the best. Filled with tender thoughts toward the tender shoots, the work is rewarding in its own way.

The work station, however, is not. After an uncomfortable morning hunched down to reach his keyboard, Poz seeks out the supply catalog to purchase a height adjustable shelf. He adds a couple items out of hope that he will soon have outdoor duties (truth be told, in his dry apartment, a water carrying backpack may have more than strictly job-related utility). He grimaces at the prices, mentally counting salary on his fingers, and hopes his desk enhancement will be sufficient.

When his designated lunch break comes around, he heads across campus to the cafeteria, wondering if he will see any of the faces he remembers from the truncated "party."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:34:14 pm by mightymushroom »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy – First day on the job
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 10:25:06 pm »

Maria looks through the safety data sheets, waiting for a 12A-2 form. She doesn’t think she will be able to remember everything off the top of her head, so she will work on a case by case basis. As she can’t do her work quite yet, she heads to lunch when lunch break comes around
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5