Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)  (Read 8505 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2019, 05:35:39 pm »

A
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2019, 05:45:41 pm »

Pondering for some time, you reason that it would not do to leave your first follower to his own devices, especially in a land so hostile to true faith.

Quote from:  Determining how effectively Urul spreads the faith
Rolling 1d10+10: 18
+5 Supernatural Cunning, +5 Subtle Divine Presence

Over the course of the next ten years, though you do not once physically manifest your essence is never far from the prophet, and while you do not usher in a single tangible miracle, your talon is present in every moment of Urul's journey. Your touch is subtle, where a band of raiders might've encounteted him, you sway them into traveling elsewhere, when a stubborn soul is on the verge of giving into faith you endow enough curiosity to push him over the edge, and when the two dozen he's managed to inspire enter the chamber of the hidden spring, you ensure that the awe of the discovery outweighs its terror. It takes him no less than a decade, a fourth of the average Osterat's life expectancy but with your blessing and guiding talon he's managed it, gathering no less than three clan's worth, nigh on sixty mortals to your worship.

Their prayers are invigorating, even if their impact is negligible, and foremost among them is your prophet, who has begun to seek the depths of your wisdom and give himself in humble, quiet supplication. He has become skilled in the art of asking questions that lead the recipient to question themselves, and in turn, his movement has begun to gain momentum. A convenient holy place giving them visions of the paradise that awaits upon their death certainly doesn't hurt, even if it takes a little critical thinking to prevent panic at the sight of it. You instinctively realize that gathering followers and prayers is an ideal progression, but with a fledgling religion comes the need for newness of doctrine.

In the new faith, how are the followers viewed?

A) They are your children, to be safeguarded from what seeks to do them harm and encouraged on their journey into learning.
B) They are your flock, to be gathered into your arms, protected from what seeks their demise, and fed further knowledge, bit by bit.
C) They are your students, to be educated in full, subservient to their teacher, and expected to do their own work on occasion.
D) They are your servants, to be obedient of your wisdom, eager to gather knowledge yet unknown to you, and be thankful for the purpose you give.
E) They are your tools, to be used to satisfy your curiosity, cast aside when you have no more to learn, and improved as you see fit.
F) They are something else entirely. [Specify]

Their prophet is to be considered...

A) One With Eroth. He is the living incarnation of the deity of discovery, and must be worshipped alongside the divine.
B) The Mouth of Eroth. His wisdom is without question and likewise, his word must be obeyed without hesitation.
C) Close to Eroth. His cunning is proof that he is the most favored of the divine and all others should seem to emulate his curiosity.
D) One Among Them. He is a peerless paragon of will and wit, yes, but he is no greater in the eyes of the deity than any other, and his word should be taken as advice, not command.
E) Something else entirely. [Specify]

Next, their purpose is to-

A) Discover the secrets of the ancestors, and relearn that which was forgotten.
B) Convert all others, for only in the worship of Eroth will the world be restored.
C) Rebuild the empire of yore without the mistakes of old beneath the sight of the divine.
D) Something else entirely. [Specify]

Lastly, they are to be named the- [Specify]

Now that you've laid down some guidelines for your first followers, what do you wish to do?

A) Continue assisting the prophet in his duties.
B) Return to your godly realm, to rest and if you deem fit, change it.
C) Travel to another plane, for your duty is not yet done.
D) Something else entirely. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2019, 05:58:27 pm »

C
We'll be showing this lot grand things if we can, but they're gonna have to fend for themselves now and again if we're ever to expand to other planes.

C
We don't want our prophet setting himself as an object of worship, and we don't want his word treated as unshakeable law-- there may very well come times when he's wrong about us, after all-- but he has done excellent work for us. Our doctrine should reflect that.

A
This is most in keeping with our nature, methinks.

The Church of the Open-Eyed
Ehh, I'm open to other suggestions here.

-C-
Now we've got a nice little foothold in this world, let's have a look at the next, to satisfy our curiosity and get some expansion going!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:40:11 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2019, 06:25:47 pm »

C,C,C
The Enlightened
C

I want to see if our realm is actually acting as an afterlife for these dudes like we said. Also, I wanna make some lizard folks back home to roam our jungles.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2019, 06:34:52 pm »

C
We'll be showing this lot grand things if we can, but they're gonna have to fend for themselves now and again if we're ever to expand to other planes.

C
We don't want our prophet setting himself as an object of worship, and we don't want his word treated as unshakeable law-- there may very well come times when he's wrong about us, after all-- but he has done excellent work for us. Our doctrine should reflect that.

A

C
Now we've got a nice little foothold in this world, let's have a look at the next, to satisfy our curiosity and get some expansion going!
+1 for a name, how about The Seekers of Knowledge Truth?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:36:32 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2019, 06:39:10 pm »

I want to see if our realm is actually acting as an afterlife for these dudes like we said. Also, I wanna make some lizard folks back home to roam our jungles.

Ooh yes, afterlife, we should check that...

Revised vote: C C A B

Why lizardfolk tho?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2019, 06:51:30 pm »

C

C

A

C
+1 for a name, how about The Seekers of Knowledge?
Given this worlds history that may not be the best name.

For their purpose I'd suggest something like:
Discover how to prosper without the excesses of their ancestors.
This could include rediscovering old secrets or learning new ways more suited to how things are now.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2019, 07:38:06 pm »

How about Seekers of Truth or Church of Discovery

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2019, 08:05:35 pm »

F
They are to be free individuals curious to uncover the Secrets of the world.

D
His strength ist His curiousity.

D.
To discover ways to make this Land habitable exploring New possibilities

C
More people need the Spark of doscovery

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2019, 08:18:58 pm »

F
They are to be free individuals curious to uncover the Secrets of the world.

D
His strength ist His curiousity.

D.
To discover ways to make this Land habitable exploring New possibilities
+1 , but for the last one I’m going with B since we need to make sure we are not lying to them

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2019, 08:26:07 pm »

C C A B

I'm also curious about the promise of an afterlife. It's probably not true yet, but maybe we should work on it: since they have an effective window to our realm, imagine the results if they actually see their fellows in "Paradise."

for a name, how about The Seekers of Knowledge Truth?

How about the Seekers Students of Truth?
I'm hopeful that it will sound less supernatural, and thus less objectionable, to the unconverted Osterat, but mostly I like the sound of it.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:18 pm »

C C A B

I'm also curious about the promise of an afterlife. It's probably not true yet, but maybe we should work on it: since they have an effective window to our realm, imagine the results if they actually see their fellows in "Paradise."

I'm hopeful that it will sound less supernatural, and thus less objectionable, to the unconverted Osterat, but mostly I like the sound of it.
Yes, +1 to Students of Truth and working on making the afterlife

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2019, 09:14:01 pm »

C C A B

+1
Yes, +1 to Students of Truth and working on making the afterlife

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2019, 10:11:53 pm »

Coming to the prophet in a dream, you command him to gather the faithful in the chamber of the wellspring. He is quick to comply, and soon enough your followers are assembled in full. Only a handful show true fanaticism, most cling to a quiet, curious devotion solely to keep themselves going and you have no doubt that the only reason they truly believe is the supernatural shimmer of the waters. All the same, when you manifest in a visage of incandescent flame, if you had lips you would smile. The looks on their faces amuse you for some moments before they fall to their knees, prostrating themselves and here and there, muttering praise. In the silence one could hear a pin drop, then your resonant voice rings out across the crowd and not a syllable goes unheard.

"I, Eroth, God of Discovery have seen your works and smile upon them, though I am not yet content for they are not yet complete. Mortals, you are to be my Students of Truth and you are to emulate the curiosity of my prophet, whose service shows as an example to all. Your purpose is to discover the secrets of your ancestors and relearn that which was forgotten, without repeating their mistakes. Do not be weary in your task, for this world is temporary and a reward eternal awaits upon your death. Fare thee well, my students and know that I watch over you."

At that, your flames ripple and disperse over the amassed worshipers, warming without burning, and you're certain this will soon become a myth in their doctrine. Deciding that the Students of Truth can handle themselves you fly far into the sky, then step through a portal into the godly realm which you've left behind all these years. That first breath of fresh air is beyond description, and the sight of the dark and mysterious sea crashing on an ivory shore might bring a tear to your eye, were you as sensitive to the passage of time as you're beginning to sense mortals are. Sweeping over the island, you're surprised to find that you aren't alone. Four Osterat in the prime of their life are busy swimming in the waters, marveling at the vegetation, or simply laying on the sand beneath the sky. Reading their minds like an open book, you note that these were elderly mortals in worship of you, or in the case of the first to come here, a courageous but clumsy male who challenged fifteen raiders in an alleyway to buy the rest of his clan time to scatter.

Interesting, it seems that your godly realm does function as an afterlife.

Even so, is there anything you want to change?

A) You want to change the aesthetic, environment, or cosmos to suit your liking. [Specify]
B) You want to change the condition of the souls themselves, and/or assign them a duty. [Specify]
C) You want to turn some part of your essence into servitors that might prove more reliable than mortals. [Specify]
D) You want to do something else. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »

A

Build a small and perfect city for the incoming souls to live in.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11