Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)  (Read 4985 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action I)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 02:14:30 am »

Right, so.

Quote from: Quid Pro Gladius
Buy a trident & net for Fabulosa with a Fortune credit.

"Buy" a gladius & parmula (small round shield) for Secundius with a Favor credit.

Marcus Flavius Lanista, gladiator-obsessed son of Marcus Flavius Ebrius, had already made arrangements with a semi-reputable supplier to provide arms at discount prices, in exchange for a good word in the right ear.

Quote from: Votebox
Quid Pro Gladius: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:12:52 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:56 am »

Quid Pro Gladius: (1) NUKE9.13
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 10:17:24 am »

Quid Pro Gladius: (2) NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:31 pm »

Quote from: Basics First
Using a Fortune and a Favor token, purchase a gladius hispaniensis (Roman legionary's sword from the Republic and early Imperial armies, the classic Roman gladius in other words) and thureos shield, and a hasta and thick arm and leg cloth wrappings.

Marcus Flavius Lanista, gladiator-obsessed son of Marcus Flavius Ebrius, had already made arrangements with a semi-reputable supplier to provide arms at discount prices, in exchange for a good word in the right ear.

This mixes offensive and defensive gear to start with. Both gladiators can start using the thureos and the wrappings for protection, while the faster one can benefit from the range advantage of the trident (using it as a spear with shield) and the experienced gladius user can get up close and personal and stab people, like a proper Roman.

I kept NUKE's flavor text, objections to my unoriginality may be placed in the nearest trash receptacle.

Basics First: (1) Madman
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:52:58 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 05:32:46 pm »

Don't forget to allocate Training Dice proper!
Fabulosa: 1 each in Vitality, Agility, Technique
Secundius: 1 in Vitality
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »

Basics First: (2) Madman, Powder Miner
Alright, having looked at the channel I actually do enjoy the more defensive tack of Madman's suggestions.

Training is also next phase, Kit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 05:40:40 pm by Powder Miner »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:49 pm »

Well, Quid Pro Gladius has multiple equipments in one Token, too... Hm. I say we jump on Weaponry first, then gather Armor stuff later, with our (hopeful) profits.

Plan: Within Reason
Acquire a Gladius for Secundus, and a Halberd for Fabulosa. With both our tokens in general.
Reasoning: yadda yadda blah blah what NUKE said
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 06:23:29 pm »

A halberd is a terrible weapon for single combat. It's a lengthy polearm meant for use in a formation against armored opponents and cavalry. It also doesn't exist yet, and is similarly a bad weapon for someone specialized in speed and agility.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 06:31:00 pm »

*pulls out Hammer of Tweaking*
Well, we need something for Fabulosa to use on foot and on horseback.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 06:36:40 pm »

Halberds aren't meant for use from horseback. They are impossible to use from horseback, as they require two hands and a swinging motion to use properly, and that can't be done on horseback. Also, they're too long for practical use in single combat yet too short for practical use from horseback, in general.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 06:41:49 pm »

"OK, OK, I get it, I'm a drunken moron who brings shame on this family nightly. Now answer the -hic- damn question! What can he use on horseback AND on foot?"
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 06:48:23 pm »

My suggestion for that would be a lance or spear, which are functionally the same thing in this time period. He could use the trident and be functionalish on horseback and work as a retiarius on ground, or we could swap the trident for a hasta (Roman spear) or a dory if we feel like being Greek, which functions very similarly but is better at piercing armor on account of only having one point. It will be useful enough on both ground and horseback.

Do note that historical gladiators used swords when on horseback, and dismounted for the most important part of the fight. I believe the horse bit was mostly for showmanship...which we are good at.

I will probably end up swapping out some equipment on account of having properly reviewed our two acquisitions' stats, assuming Powder agrees with the change of the trident to a hasta.

EDIT:
Also, Kit, we thank you preemptively for volunteering to be used as the family scapegoat for any mistakes we may make. Not that we make mistakes, of course, we'll just be drafting up an "exile this family member" proposal as a precaution, you know, not that we'd ever USE it on you since we never make mistakes.
:P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:52:37 pm by Madman198237 »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 07:07:06 pm »

"Glad I could, uh, help, I guess? Now, back to -hic- business!"

Quote from: Modified Simplicity
Secundus gets a nice Gladius with his new name engraved into the blade, and the family crest (whatever that looks like...) In a gemstone embedded in the hilt.

Fabulosa gets a Hasta, equally personalized, and I'll see if I can't pull some strings, make it just a bit lighter than a common hasta - A "hollow" tip, perhaps? Fancy and functional...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:11:29 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 07:12:23 pm »

Well, Quid Pro Gladius has multiple equipments in one Token, too... Hm. I say we jump on Weaponry first, then gather Armor stuff later, with our (hopeful) profits.

Plan: Within Reason
Acquire a Gladius for Secundus, and a Halberd for Fabulosa. With both our tokens in general.
Reasoning: yadda yadda blah blah what NUKE said

Little late but in discord the GM mentioned that it is possible to have more than one piece of basic-ish, connected equipment covered by a token, and also that when it's basic equipment we're unlocking it for all gladiators. Gladius and a shield go together so we can do that, trident and net go together, etc..
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »

The family party-master tears apart his original plans and reorders them into a better version, with scribbled in bits here and there, and, well, everywhere. There's a wine stain on the new one, too.
Quote from: Re-Modified Simplicity
Secundus gets a nice Gladius with his new name engraved into the blade, and the family crest (whatever that looks like...) In a gemstone embedded in the hilt. And we get a free shield with every weapon purchase, so I've heard!

~NOTE~
The personalization is to be done by our own smiths AFTER acquiring the swords. If, in the interest of time, it's necessary to shorten the schedule, so be it - We can forgo personalization FOR NOW.

Fabulosa gets a Hasta, equally personalized, with a Greek-crafted shield to make him a budding Hoplite!

~NOTE~
I'll see if I can't pull some strings, make it just a bit lighter than a common hasta - A "hollow" tip, perhaps? Fancy and functional... Of course, ordinary spears are nice too, but I believe that it would be in our bets interest to make it a touch lighter for him during that "personalization" phase.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:13:45 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6