Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)  (Read 4976 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:46:57 am »

Welcome to House Flavius!

Core Thread

For generations we've used golden coin and silver tongue to climb our way up the social and political ladders of Rome. With an explosion of popularity in blood sports we thought it only smart to get in on business early. Unfortunately those Magnus apes have also decided to try their hand at the Gladiatorial arts. While they should by no means pose a threat right now, we should see about snuffing them out regardless.

We have a small yard for training as well as some very basic quarters in the Ludus, and now we need to get ourselves a Gladiator! The easiest way to go about getting one is at the Forum, where slave traders can be found in abundance. It takes some time to find quality stock, but eventually you come across the following options:

Germanic Tribesman
Traits: Germanic, Farmer
-Vitality: 6
-Agility: 5
-Technique: 2 (+1 if Technique (???))
-Style: 1
Equipment: Rags

Roman Fugitive
Traits: Roman, Merciless
-Vitality: 2
-Agility: 6
-Technique: 3 (+1 if Technique (???))
-Style: 4

Carthaginian Spy
Traits: Carthaginian, Paranoid, Quick
-Vitality: 3
-Agility: 3
-Technique: 5 (+1 if Technique (???))
-Style: 6

Once you choose who to take with you (and remember to name them all too!) you can also decide to book them for a fight for later this month. We will have time to take them to the Ludus and provide training, so there's no need to worry about immediately losing our investment. The only possibilities we know of are as follows:

Back Alley Pit
1. Gladiator v.s. Unbooked
2. Unbooked v.s. Unbooked

Gambling Den Requires Token to Enter
1. Gladiator v.s. Unbooked - Reward: 1 Fortune Token
2. Gladiator v.s. Unbooked - Reward: 2 Fortune Tokens, 1 Fame Token

Forum Arena
1. Gladiator (V4/A4/T4/S2) v.s. Unbooked - Standard 1v1
2. Gladiator (V9/A6/T9/S1) v.s. Unbooked and Unbooked - 1v2

Once you decide on which Gladiators to choose, as well as what to sign them up for, we can move on to the Action Phase, where you can bombard me with questions until we figure out the limits of this game together! Also do note this is the only turn where you will purchase a gladiator (or Gladiators) in the Planning Phase.

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:37:49 pm by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Planning I)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:01:57 am »

My plan:
Quote from: Fabulousness: the Beginning
Purchase the Carthaginian Spy via our Fortune token, name him "Fabulosa", which is an alias because the man is mysterious, unknowable, and because I cannot be fucked to try and detailedly hunt down the meanings of Punic names
Purchase the Roman Refugee via our first Favor token, name him Ferreus Secundius Alternis

Then: Enroll the Carthaginian Spy in Fight 1 of the Forum Arena
Enroll the Roman Refugee via our Fame Token into the first fight of the Gambling Den
I will then want to purchase equipment for the spy via our remaining fortune and favor tokens
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:51:45 am by Powder Miner »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:56:26 am »

Alright, I can get behind that plan, mostly. I'd prefer to give the roman a weapon rather than send him to fight bare-handed, but we can discuss that in the next phase.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 04:10:24 am »

on reflection that'd be a much better thing to do, yes lol
we can always buy the second piece of equipment i want for the spy (stylish clothing) later

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:02:58 am »

Hmm, yes I feel like this is a good plan.

Fabulousness (1): Failbird
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:07:25 am by Failbird105 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:45 am »

Fabulousness (2): Failbird, NUKE9.13

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 08:51:53 am »

I like the spy, but I feel like we should snag the Tribesman too - That Farmer trait could help us support more men down the line, and I'm sure that we can whip up some kind of Training to improve that Style. His fortitude is not to be overlooked...

GM? Is it possible to put a "hold" on a slave, like "I'll be back and looking for this one, try not to sell him."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:00:26 am by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 09:25:01 am »

The tribesman has the worst stats of the three, and we can't really afford to buy them all. As for the utility of the Farmer trait, yeah, it may serve as some sort of food output-boosting thing, but we can probably rope in a latifunda or two to provide more food fairly easily, should we need it. Also, farmers ought to be pretty common, so we can probably pick one up later if we want.

As regards putting a slave on hold, it's worth asking, I suppose. The German's stats aren't bad- in fact, they're perfectly average-, so we may want to buy him next turn.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 11:16:38 am »

Quote from: The Party Planner's Pal(TM)
Fabulousness (3): Failbird, NUKE9.13, KitRougard
And if possible, put a reservation on the Germanic Tribesman.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:32 pm »

Quote from: The Party Planner's Pal(TM)
Fabulousness (4): Failbird, NUKE9.13, KitRougard, Rockeater
I would like to suggest trying to establish trade with people from the south/east of the empire, giving us the most exotic people and equipment.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action I)
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 10:41:02 pm »

Planning I

The Slave Trader was barking loudly over the rumbling crowd as he was approached by the Flavian representative.

"Strong backs, strong hands! Great for mining, farming, fuc-" the Slave Trader stopped when he noticed he had an actual potential customer, "What can I do for you?"

The representative eventually wound up negotiating a fair price for the Carthaginian, went back to the Flavian waiting in the crowd, and came back with a pouch of gold and some words.

"My master, a most successful businessman," he showed the Slave Trader the mark of House Flavian burned into his flesh, "Has a proposal: these men are to be used in some upcoming Games. The business of flesh and blood can be very profitable, and those who aid the family in their endeavors, loyal partners of business, will always see their own investment returned with interest. We will pay that gold," he pointed to the purse now in the trader's palm - the only one he had, "And sing your praises to all we meet, of your highest quality slaves, your low, low prices, while we prove their worth in the arena. Surely you will need guards to keep the hordes of buyers at bay! And all we ask is for those two slaves there."

The Trader thought for a moment, scrunched his face, and exhaled slowly.

"I am a businessman, not a fool. And I know a good opportunity when I see one. We have a deal. Name is Auroros."

The potential Gladiators are examined and named Ferreus Secundius Alternis and Fabulosa, and some interesting facts are noted:

Roman - +1 Technique (Gladius) Training. Can exceed 6.
Merciless - 50% chance of killing opponent, more likely to quickly finish off opponent.
Carthaginian - +1 to Technique (Mounted) Training. Can exceed 6.
Paranoid - Loyalty losses are more severe.
Quick - +1 to Agility Training. Cannot exceed 6.

Both are fairly unhappy, though no more so than any other slave.

After examining your new acquisitions it is ultimately decided to sign Ferreus Secundis Alternis up for the first fight of the Gambling Den, using your good name to get entry. Fabulosa is signed up to fight in the first bout in the Forum Arena.

The potential Gladiators are brought back to the Ludus to train. It is now the Action Phase where you will dump tokens into an infinite number of tasks. Notably, you can attempt to "design" equipment to acquire for your Gladiators. This is also the phase you can upgrade or purchase new property in.

You can create as many Family Members as you'd like. Constructing an actual family tree and hierarchy and fleshed out characters might see things just...go your way. Same thing with creating the brand used to mark your property.

IT IS NOW THE ACTION PHASE.

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:58:03 am by Man of Paper »

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:06 pm »

Family Members? You mean...
Roleplay Personas?
(A wild Kitsugare appeared!)
"I'll drink to that, my friends!"
Kitsugare: The Party Master to End All Parties.
Generous when sober. Writes you into his will when drunk.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »

Spears and Nets IS what we need.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 11:14:09 pm »

Cracks knuckles
It's intrigue time.

So I can't help but notice that we accidentally signed a Merciless guy up for an arena in which death is more likely to happen. This is probably good, the crowds at the nastier places probably appreciate a little blood spilled.

The fact that he's good with a Gladius is definitely a good thing for us, it'd be quite easy to equip him to be effective with one as a gladiator. Or as a straight-out murderer as things seem to be headed for our Merciless friend.

Since the Carthaginian is quick we should probably equip him as one of the "fast" types of gladiators, at least to start with. I'm assuming that historical gladiatorial equipment should be very easy to acquire as it's very common, so we should be able to start him as a retiarius (trident-and-net guy) or slinger or archer type quite easily. I'll need to review some gladiator stuff here before really getting into serious suggestions.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 12:55:32 am »

The plan I'd had so far was to make the Carthaginian our "elite" gladiator by pumping 3 dice of training and make Secundus (hence his name lmao) a secondary gladiator by giving him 1.

To achieve this goal, and get him silly high style so we can see just what it does, my plan has been to give him Agility, Technique for whatever weapon we give him so he can actually use the damn thing effectively, and Style. I kind of figured maybe we should give him a defensive weapon-set, so retiarus would work on that front, but for a bit more of a flair archer could work too.

For Secundus, I figured we'd give him Vitality so he holds up a bit better, his Vit isn't presently fantastic at all.

So this turn, for our shit to actually purchase, from your choices that would make gladius and either trident, net, or bow and arrow depending on how we go for Fabulosa.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6