Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action II)  (Read 4981 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Action I)
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 08:19:20 pm »

While we could do that, and personalized weapons are a good idea later, I think just starting out we want to unlock general types first.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 08:21:57 pm »

I want to play things relatively safe for this very first turn, and that also includes just making sure our guys have basic functional shit before worrying too much about high-level items. After all, if our quality shit fails, then that would leave our gladiators empty-handed. I also like Madman's more particular build concepts.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 08:27:12 pm »

Definitely a good idea to NOT DO THAT PLAN EVER. Hollow weapons? Heavily personalized stuff for rookie gladiators? Unspecified shield types and duplicate stuff? These are recipes for disaster.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:01 pm »

He sighs, and tosses aside another empty bottle of wine. Where is he getting so much wine?
"Very well, you have a point. But leave the customization specifications to me - After all, the little details are what make an otherwise PERFECT party flop, and I am known -hic- for my flawless parties."
He then puts in his vote, and goes off to get to know the new Gladiators better, so he can design their personal weapons to their personal tastes. And also to make them feel welcome- After all, they were just property a moment ago. But now, they're servants of the Flavius family, and they'll be treated as such!
Quote from: Party Planner's Pal(TM)
Quid Pro Gladius: (2) NUKE9.13, Twinwolf
Basics First: (3) Madman, Powder Miner, KitRougard
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:16:02 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 04:05:45 am »

Sure, Madman's plan works too. If it's been cleared with MoP as acceptable, that is.

Also, for them as that aren't on the Discord, I'm working on a family tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's malleable, and incomplete by design (so there's room to add more). If you want an IC representative, let me know, and I'll fit them in (or change an existing character). The orange text is either a translation of their cognomen (indicating roughly what kind of personality/achievements they have) or an indication of who they're a representative of.
Marcus Flavius Ebrius is the current patriarch; Marcus Flavius Laudis died a few years ago.

PS, KitRougard, whilst it isn't required, I would recommend joining the Discord (there's a link in the Core thread). If you haven't used Discord before, it's, like, super easy to use, and it makes it easier to discuss things and ask the GM questions. Also, I put you into the family tree without asking as Gaius Flavius Kitus, but if you'd prefer a different position/cognomen, let me know.

Quid Pro Gladius: (1) Twinwolf
Basics First: (3) Madman, Powder Miner, KitRougard, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 08:03:44 am »

Tullius Flavius Romulus
A Well Educated philosopher

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 05:26:25 pm »

It's cool. I think we should all take a persona in this - it'd be sweet if we were to essentially evolve our characters and poke at the world a little, y'know?

On that note, I'm putting on Kitus' mask for the whole of the game, further OOC discussion will be capsulated in ((blah)).
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 04:11:21 am »

A brief description of most of the characters in the family tree above. Most of the women are not covered, because unfortunately women often had little power in the Roman world. I also didn't cover other people's insert characters, since their descriptions are up to them. Also, this is not set in stone, so if you have a suggestion for changes, do tell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:18:25 am by NUKE9.13 »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 06:34:34 am »

Rockeater said in discord he was voting with Nuke.

Quid Pro Gladius: (1) Twinwolf
Basics First: (5) Madman, Powder Miner, KitRougard, NUKE9.13, Rockeater
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:16:27 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »

Gaius Flavius Kitus:
The Flavii are known for their opulence, and casual use of gold and silver like mere copper.
Then there's Kitus.
He is the unofficial PR officer for the House of Flavius, and he tends to go overboard with this job. He once spent the entire family's coffers on one night of revelry, only to win it all back in one throw of the dice during THAT VERY PARTY. He's easily looked down upon by his family for putting them in these situations, but his social connections are not to be underestimated. Everyone "knows a guy who knows a guy," well, Kitus is the guy who knows the guy. He often has 5 different meetings to plan at once at all times, and he still finds time to pull out a bottle of fine wine. No matter what time it is, or where he is, he ALWAYS has a bottle of wine. If he had a character introduction splash-screen, it would say:
Gaius Flavius Kitus - Generous when sober. Writes you into the will when drunk.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blood of Champions - House Flavius (Training I)
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 06:44:11 am »

Action I

The smell of heating metal and the sounds of hammering guide Marcus Flavius Lanista into a small single room shop attached to an open-roofed blacksmith's forge. A burly man with a smear of black across his nose and forehead occupies himself with arranging a number of arms and armor on display. He puts down a particularly impressive golden helmet with bright multicolored feathered plumage and turns to engage Marcus Flavius.

"Welcome to Marculus Malleus' Arms and Armor. If it is made of metal and built for war I guarantee you we can make. What will you be needing, good sir?"

The Flavii had heard of this particular smith through a network of well-trusted connections. Marculus Malleus was rumored to be descended from a line of metalworkers themselves forged by Vulcan, and indeed a cursory glance at the displays confirmed as much for Marcus Flavius. He set to business.

"I have recently acquired a couple of gladiators and was considering what to do with them when, to my amusement, I was drawn this way and towards your establishment. I seek only simple wares however, and the skill and craft here are unfortunately beyond what I would be willing to place in the hands of unblooded gladiators," Flavius' voice carries a perfectly placed hint of sadness in it. He turns to leave but is stopped by Marculus' low belly laugh resonating throughout the room.

"We can do simple, my friend. What do you have in mind?"

Marcus Flavius Lanista goes over his desired acquisitions - specifically Marculus' ability to provide his gladiators with the Roman Gladius, the Thyrios shield, the Hasta, and Cloth Body Wrappings. Marculus' and his smiths are willing and able to provide said equipment and Marcus negotiates a low flat fee after an initial lump payment, with the promise of continued business.

[-Fortune Token, -Favor Token]

What we finally get shipped to the ludus is, well, a mixed bag. It seems the "if it's made of metal" bit wasn't just salesmanship.

Roman Gladius [6]: Every Roman soldier feels confident and comfortable with a native Gladius in their hands. They can feel invincible when they're constructed to such perfect specifications. Perfectly balanced, with a strong, sharp blade meant for both cutting and piercing, these Gladii are almost mystical in their ability to hold an edge, keep together, and most importantly, kill. The blade is 55cm long, for a total length of 70cm.

Thyreos [1]: Shield. What is usually an easily-made wooden oval shield has become a poorly-constructed wooden mess. Little more than a few wooden planks bound together and held by a poorly attached central handle. The shield can cover a man just about nose to knees.

Hasta [5]: A two meter long wooden spear with an iron tip. Sleek, sturdy, simple.

Cloth Wrappings [1]: Arm/Leg Armor. Little more than torn strips of old clothing. Comes in multiple colors ("dirty", "greasy", "bloody").

Now that we have some gear, it's time to move onto the Training Phase! First you need to equip the gladiators, then it's time to get down to business. You currently have four d6 to assign to your gladiator's skills. Remember that assigning extra dice to a training check is not additive, and only modifies the minimum roll by +1. Your efforts to define your family have also been noted, and as such you feel the strings of Fate tug in your favor. [+Fate Token]

Note you may also use Tokens to perform, ah, extracurricular activities during the Training Phase. Note however that if you require use of a gladiator for said activities (and no damn it before I have to hear it I'm not implying sexual here, or anywhere except maybe that once) they will be unable to receive training. Any improvements you get will be applied the same Phase.

Finally, it is time to begin deciding how to utilize our surplus food. Note we can change this at any time. Options are as follows:

Increased Rations: By giving larger portions of food with greater variety, and occasionally even good flavor, we increase morale of all Gladiators. Vitality Training has a 50% chance to receive a +1 increase (can go over 6). These bonuses apply as long as Increased Rations is active.
Sell It Off: By selling our food through traders at local markets we can provide more income for our family. Provides One Fortune Token per Surplus Food per Turn. Small chance to boost trade-related Relationships each Interaction.
Aid Your Peers: By providing food to your fellow Patricians, for parties, times of need, or anything in between, they learn to rely on you. Provides One Favor Token per Surplus Food per Turn. Small chance to clear debts, smaller chance to put a known character in your debt.
Donate To The People: By spreading our good fortune among the Plebes word of our good deeds will carry our name far and wide. Provides One Fame Token per Surplus Food per Turn. 50% chance for a second Fame token as word spreads.
Donate To The Temples: By supplying temple keepers and worshipers with the sustenance they require we hope to curry favor with the Gods. Provides One Fate Token per Surplus Food per Turn. Two 25% Chances for an additional token of any type.

IT IS NOW THE TRAINING PHASE!

Spoiler: Properties (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Family Status (click to show/hide)

Note: You may continue to add onto your family and make minor adjustments with characters left unused at this point. Excessive additions will be turned to newborns >:l
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:32:08 am by Man of Paper »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 07:55:30 am »

Right, so. Choices choices.

I don't think we can afford to choose Increased Rations this turn. We need tokens to set up the basics more than we need our gladiators to be brave bois. Now, I think currently the most valuable token to us is probably a Fortune token, as we just want to straight-up buy numerous things still (Favour tokens are leaving us with debts to pay, which isn't the end of the world, but not as good as no debt). However, it seems like the Sell It Off option has the lowest output (I'm assuming commercial relationships aren't super valuable right now). Donating it has the best payoff (an average of 1.5 in both cases), but yields tokens of the sort we don't really need so badly, I think.
It is, in other words, a well-balanced choice.

For equipping and training gladiators, I think we want to do the following:

Quote from: Let's get down to business
Secundius:
Equip Gladius (apply starting Technique), Thyreos, & Cloth Wrappings
1 die to Vit

Fabulosa:
Equip Hasta (apply starting Technique), Thyreos, & Cloth Wrappings
1 die to Vit
1 die to Agility
1 die to Style

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 08:45:14 am »

"Hm... Would it be possible for me to go out and see if perhaps I can find someone skilled in the non-metal arts? Sirs! I would like to requisition that Fate Token for this, hopefully I can find someone who can make shields and leather wraps better than our weaponsmith can."
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 09:03:52 am »

Patience, patience. Now is not the time for such things. We'll have to make do with what we have for now.

((Which is to say, I don't think we can upgrade our equipment in this phase.))

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 09:47:56 am »

"But you see, I have a plan for my extracurricular escapades!"

Using the Fate Token to upgrade equipment is a fiddly deal. After all, using our Favor tokens for purchases putts us in oh, so subtle debt. So Fate, being based upon just the right conditions causing a storm, is even MORE DELICATE!
To use it, I shall go out with our shoddy equipment (the wraps and shield), looking for someone who can provide me with something better, or at least refine what we have. None of them can, sadly, and I go to the town fountain or gathering place or whatever we have these days to eat lunch and lament my poor luck. That, my friends, is when I meet our helper! Perhaps they are a small-time leather-worker and woodcrafter, down on their luck like I, and seeking a way to make their name known! Or perhaps it is a beautiful woman whose hands are skilled in more masculine arts, and her tongue is rough like a sailor, and all shun her, not merely because she does a man's work, but because she does it better than the man! In any case, they seek an opportunity, and I provide that! We talk, and at some point, that look at what I have with disdain, and say "I can provide you with something 5 times better than those cloths and planks." And so, they do! We swap what we have in use for their greater goods, and we all benefit from the exchange - they from newfound power behind their name, and we from the quality of our defensive items!

How's that sound, brother?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6