Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 481706 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Such sights to see
« Reply #4710 on: March 27, 2022, 12:42:44 am »

Ask.

"Intimidation tactics and theatrics like these are poor substitutes for proper accountability. Sure, in a hierarchical organization, screwups should be, ah, disciplined, when they mess up badly enough." he says, as he gestures toward the display above them, "But this flows both ways. After all, it is the boss' job to make sure they appointed the right people, trained them properly, that they appointed and trained those below them in turn, and so forth. In the end, the bucks stops at the top."

"If all that you, the board of auditors or whoever orders you around, do here is to mulch some middle managers and screw over some flunkies at the bottom, I can assure you, things will just get repeated down the line and we'll all be doing this song and dance again."

"So then, my question: what are you, personally, gonna do to take responsibility and avoid this in the future?"

Then, assuming I haven't gotten perforated for my insolence, ask:

"Secondly, what does 'NEIMBUCTOIE' mean to you?"

1) Talk above.

You can, but they've very stripped down versions of the gun, basically just a barrel and mechanism. You'd get like 50% the price of a new one.

2) Normally the resale value of a gun is 1/2. So does that mean each one sells for 1/4th the arsenal price, or 1/2 still?

Questions?

3) Does this mean that, once he focuses on a person, said target still needs to perceive him to be affected, like originally? If yes would our original sensory deprivation methods/suits still work?

4) On that topic, can we get provided with a way to deal with mindcontrolled teammates? Like installing shock-collars/robobody lockouts and a voting-based system of activation so no individual getting controlled will screw over everyone at once.

5) We know OMNI has access to some heavy stuff. Is there a reason you're not carpet-nuking the area he is in to oblivion?

6) is there a way to stop pain elementals from instantly respawning the moment we kill them? There didn't seem to be any delay to it last time so either we all get some of that stuff Summer successfully tested out against them, or we'll have to think of another way to keep them at bay. Maybe gooping them in place could work?

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:37:55 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: March 27, 2022, 02:15:32 am »

"Well I can't think of anything to ask, so I'll just be sitting here until everyone else is finished."

Spoiler: Is no longer dead! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Things I've done. (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: March 27, 2022, 10:12:31 am »

"I think I understand, but there's one thing I don't get. Who's Mr. friend and what are these abilities of his you speak of? I thought Will released a man named Derp?"

Baldwin felt out of the loop compared to his veteran colleagues.

After having it explained to him, Baldwin then asks the auditor if he can take any teeth they extracted from the tortured executives to reload his spooky gun with. Teeth-pulling is torture 101, any torturer worth his salt is bound to have a dozen of them lying around.

At the end of the briefing, Baldwin goes to harvest the cap of the golden mushroom and sells it, using the revenue gained to make a payment to the loan shark.

Spoiler: Baldwin Reborn (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: March 27, 2022, 09:38:38 pm »

"I don't have any weapons and I think I'll do everything possible through VR, so.."

"I don't see why I'd need a shock collar."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:53:29 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: March 27, 2022, 10:29:47 pm »

"I don't have any weapons and I think I'll do everything possible through VR, so.."

"I don't see why I'd need a shock collar."

"Well, the original Friendly was perfectly capable of controlling people if he perceived them remotely, be it video or audio. Even in his diminished state, it'd be unwise to assume that isn't the case anymore. And yes, there are ways to help counteract this issue, like speech-to-text or lowered framerates.

But even then there's a good reason why we need everyone to be a part of it: the idea only works if enough voters exist that Friendly would need to achieve control over most of the team to subvert the system, in which case our mission is most likely doomed anyway. If only like 3 people can vote we shouldn't even bother, it'd harm more than it'd help.

Of course, having some people not subject to the system while still being able to vote would chafe and be a hard sell to the rest of the team, especially those actually going in there. So we need to have enough buy-in for this to work, which needs everyone to put skin in the game, so to speak.

Well, it's speculative anyway unless command agrees to it."

5) We know OMNI has access to some heavy stuff. Is there a reason you're not carpet-nuking the area he is in to oblivion?

((They're sending Wil.  He is classified as a weapon of mass destruction~))

((More like a weapon of messy destruction, if you ask me~))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:35:18 pm by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: March 27, 2022, 10:45:25 pm »

"But you don't need to control most of the team.  Just take over one person, use that person to kill someone else, and then it doesn't matter if the first one is knocked out.  At least two down from one takeover.  Doesn't sound like the guy has to care if a mind controlled minion is killed or shocked later."

"I mean, you could kill what, three, four people at once?  No problem?"

"The safe way to do it would be to have the few people with the actual weapons attack seperately and alone, while everyone else monitors you from out of range.  Then there's enough to stop one of you guys should you get taken over.  If we had some way to free you from afar, then we'd be golden."

"Another possibility would be to have some kinda firing interlocks, so that half the team needs to be up for the more powerful weapons to be used.  Say the default is 'off', not on."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:53:27 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: March 27, 2022, 10:59:48 pm »

"Really, he's in a weakened state. No reason why we can't just roll up and turn him into hamburger with all we got. Even if some of us die, it won't really matter."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: March 28, 2022, 12:07:37 am »

"But you don't need to control most of the team.  Just take over one person, use that person to kill someone else, and then it doesn't matter if the first one is knocked out.  At least two down from one takeover.  Doesn't sound like the guy has to care if a mind controlled minion is killed or shocked later."

"I mean, you could kill what, three, four people at once?  No problem?"

"The safe way to do it would be to have the few people with the actual weapons attack seperately and alone, while everyone else monitors you from out of range.  Then there's enough to stop one of you guys should you get taken over.  If we had some way to free you from afar, then we'd be golden."

"Another possibility would be to have some kinda firing interlocks, so that half the team needs to be up for the more powerful weapons to be used.  Say the default is 'off', not on."

"Sure, there's other ways to handle it, I am open to suggestions. But the basic idea is that if someone like Wil or Ji or I get taken over, then the group has a way of shutting them down without having to blast through a ton of armor to achieve that, since that gives that thrall a lot of chances to do damage. Not to mention it gives us a chance to recover them and undo the mind control without having to demolish them.

Also, remember that Friendly doesn't automatically gain the knowledge of people he controls, so even if some of us get taken over he probably won't be able to actually turn the system against us, at least not before we have a chance to use it ourselves.

The idea of possibly locking out heavy weapons could work, but we'd have to be careful we don't limit our offensive power too much either since I suspect we'll need it. Then again, if the gimps still instantly respawn anyway, then giving everyone souped-up goop throwers might be our best bet.

Finally, having people control the system remotely is also an option, but that requires leaving a lot of us behind here, since right now I do not trust omni command not to fuck things up. And Friendly can still gain control through video or audio, so we'd need obfuscation to prevent that, possibly slowing down a response."

"Really, he's in a weakened state. No reason why we can't just roll up and turn him into hamburger with all we got. Even if some of us die, it won't really matter."

"Unfortunately, overconfidence here won't just kill you but your teammates as well, so I'd rather not be so blasé about it."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:10:12 am by Radio Controlled »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: March 28, 2022, 12:47:31 am »

"Have you noticed that us dying is the point, fake auditor? Come on, you don't have to be scared of it."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:54 am »

"I don't like the sound of anyone controlling me or my robots to use them to kill possessed people, also why are we arguing about this stuff let's just get the damn job done."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: March 28, 2022, 01:51:38 am »

"I don't like the sound of anyone controlling me or my robots to use them to kill possessed people, also why are we arguing about this stuff let's just get the damn job done."

”The whole point of this is to have a way to deal with mindcontrolled teammates without having to kill them. Neither the shock, nor the lockout for robots, would kill the person. And you’d be the one who gets to vote remember? No individual would have the power to make use of this system alone.”

"Have you noticed that us dying is the point, fake auditor? Come on, you don't have to be scared of it."

”If friendo succeeds in taking over the entire pain dimension, a lot more people might die than just us smucks getting sent in. This isn’t just about our safety, we need to ensure we get this done or the consequences will be catastrophic.”
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:54:54 am by Radio Controlled »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: March 28, 2022, 02:47:00 am »

”The whole point of this is to have a way to deal with mindcontrolled teammates without having to kill them. Neither the shock, nor the lockout for robots, would kill the person. And you’d be the one who gets to vote remember? No individual would have the power to make use of this system alone.”
"Well that makes me feel better about the whole thing, probably should be paying more attention to these discussions in the future."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: March 28, 2022, 03:03:40 am »

"Demyacracy sounds like bullshit, have someone blind listen to chatter and shock anyone compromised.  It's easy to keep one person safe, and if they're a techie or something it hardly hampers them.  Where did Pathos go, anyway?  Little bugger would be perfect."

EDIT: ...Does Wilfred's current body have a shock implant?  And if not, could he get a shock collar rather than an implant?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: March 28, 2022, 03:04:29 am »

"This was caused by Wil.  Without any mind-control shenanigans.  Or OMNI command orders.  Sure, I can understand not trusting command, but they could not have caused this without Wil drunkenly screwing everything up."

"We should hand it over to people who won't be going in there.  So there's zero risk of mind control, not a slim risk of mind control.  Or automate it or something.  Then there's no delays over votes, no politics, no concentrating on pushing the right button while your face is stuck inside some wall.  It'll be run by people outside this fuckery."

"The pain dimension was incredibly confusing.  I don't even know if you can reliably push a button if you want to.  I had trouble even injecting a syringe into one random pain elemental.  Fumbling about for a button is dumb."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 12:06:56 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 334