Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 481629 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Such sights to see
« Reply #4725 on: March 28, 2022, 04:57:06 pm »

Bob.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: March 29, 2022, 06:37:31 pm »

"Demyacracy sounds like bullshit, have someone blind listen to chatter and shock anyone compromised.  It's easy to keep one person safe, and if they're a techie or something it hardly hampers them.  Where did Pathos go, anyway?  Little bugger would be perfect."
EDIT: ...Does Wilfred's current body have a shock implant?  And if not, could he get a shock collar rather than an implant?

"That introduces a single point of failure however, which I don't like. If Friendo somehow gets to those one or two people it's game over for everyone. And yes, text-to-speech and other obfuscation can help prevent that, but that also delays the response time. But if that's the way people will do this willingly then I wouldn't mind Ed taking that on him. He's been with us for a long time so I trust him more than omni command right now. Pathos seems... distracted right now."

"This was caused by Wil.  Without any mind-control shenanigans.  Or OMNI command orders.  Sure, I can understand not trusting command, but they could not have caused this without Wil drunkenly screwing everything up."
"We should hand it over to people who won't be going in there.  So there's zero risk of mind control, not a slim risk of mind control.  Or automate it or something.  Then there's no delays over votes, no politics, no concentrating on pushing the right button while your face is stuck inside some wall.  It'll be run by people outside this fuckery."
"The pain dimension was incredibly confusing.  I don't even know if you can reliably push a button if you want to.  I had trouble even injecting a syringe into one random pain elemental.  Fumbling about for a button is dumb."

"It's not just this disaster, they've been consistently unresponsive in providing us with proper support. Hell, while trying to solve the issue with the pain door they made things actively harder for no good reason. Maybe the new batch will be better but I'd need to see them not be useless first. I'd rather trust those teammates I've fought with and can vouch for.

Ed. what do you think? Your skills would surely be useful in there, but you might be the best person for the job still, given that it seems to involve direct violence mostly. Assuming that auditor over there will even permit one of us not actually going in, mind you. If not, or if you think you'd be more useful on the inside, might as well drop the matter."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:26:55 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: March 29, 2022, 09:13:01 pm »

PTW.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: March 29, 2022, 10:58:17 pm »

"If you're concerned about them being too permissive.. yeah, I can understand that.  They didn't even demote Wil.  Are you afraid they won't push the button?"
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 12:42:42 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: March 29, 2022, 11:40:23 pm »

"The lost and found ghost even gave me extra grenades to replace the ones I used and more. I mean, it might not technically be a... hey Wil is the lost and found bin a ghost or just a generic spooky thing?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: March 30, 2022, 12:46:29 am »

"No offense, but you're sitting in your brand new arbiter body, which you got for free, complaining about lack of proper support.  Hell, they didn't even demote Wil."

"What, you mean this old thing?" he said, slapping the auditor body like one would a nice car, "Well, I suppose you couldn't know this since you're pretty new here, but I actually got this thing a while back. Paid good money for it too. It, ah, got a bit of a dent in it though, but she got fixed up good as new."

"As for the second part, well yes, it does seem that Wil is just about the only person here who is not actually facing any negative consequences, given his enthusiasm for killing our target. But as much as I may have some opinions on that," he said, while straightening up a bit and speaking a bit louder so the other's in the briefing could hear him, "none of that matters right now. Whatever misgivings anyone may have about the situation, all that matters in this moment is to deal with it and finish this mission. We can sort things out after this, but now we just gotta make it through this first."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: March 30, 2022, 01:35:04 am »

"Anyway, I've got your money"

Give Yagyu his 550 OMNI.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: March 30, 2022, 03:30:29 am »

Ed. what do you think? Your skills would surely be useful in there, but you might be the best person for the job still, given that it seems to involve direct violence mostly. Assuming that auditor over there will even permit one of us not actually going in, mind you. If not, or if you think you'd be more useful on the inside, might as well drop the matter."

"Ah yes, you're right that I'm not really inclined to front line violence. At least not right now, it was easier when I was almost literally a tank. I certainly wouldn't mind playing overwatch from the outside, since I assume they won't have much electronics in the pain dimension for me to fiddle with. Though, if it comes to it... He cradles his new microwave gun with two tentacles, gently petting it with a third tentacle ...then I'll be sure to give it my best shot."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: March 30, 2022, 07:00:16 am »

"The lost and found ghost even gave me extra grenades to replace the ones I used and more. I mean, it might not technically be a... hey Wil is the lost and found bin a ghost or just a generic spooky thing?"

Wilfred shrugs.  He otherwise remains quiet, having lost interest in the conversation.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: March 30, 2022, 12:32:28 pm »

"Anyway, I've got your money"

Give Yagyu his 550 OMNI.

"Oh, right. Thanks!"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4735 on: March 30, 2022, 03:04:04 pm »

"How do we stop it, exactly?  We couldn't hurt pain elementals with weapons earlier."
He is not a pain elemental. And if he is unable to die in that world, then you should be equally immortal. If he may die there, then kill him there. If not, put him somewhere where he will. As per the Elementals under his control, they may be immortal but they are still able to be rendered inert, at least for a time. A body without limbs poses little threat.

Ask.

"Intimidation tactics and theatrics like these are poor substitutes for proper accountability. Sure, in a hierarchical organization, screwups should be, ah, disciplined, when they mess up badly enough." he says, as he gestures toward the display above them, "But this flows both ways. After all, it is the boss' job to make sure they appointed the right people, trained them properly, that they appointed and trained those below them in turn, and so forth. In the end, the bucks stops at the top."

"If all that you, the board of auditors or whoever orders you around, do here is to mulch some middle managers and screw over some flunkies at the bottom, I can assure you, things will just get repeated down the line and we'll all be doing this song and dance again."

"So then, my question: what are you, personally, gonna do to take responsibility and avoid this in the future?"

Then, assuming I haven't gotten perforated for my insolence, ask:

"Secondly, what does 'NEIMBUCTOIE' mean to you?"

1) Talk above.

You can, but they've very stripped down versions of the gun, basically just a barrel and mechanism. You'd get like 50% the price of a new one.

2) Normally the resale value of a gun is 1/2. So does that mean each one sells for 1/4th the arsenal price, or 1/2 still?

Questions?

3) Does this mean that, once he focuses on a person, said target still needs to perceive him to be affected, like originally? If yes would our original sensory deprivation methods/suits still work?

4) On that topic, can we get provided with a way to deal with mindcontrolled teammates? Like installing shock-collars/robobody lockouts and a voting-based system of activation so no individual getting controlled will screw over everyone at once.

5) We know OMNI has access to some heavy stuff. Is there a reason you're not carpet-nuking the area he is in to oblivion?

6) is there a way to stop pain elementals from instantly respawning the moment we kill them? There didn't seem to be any delay to it last time so either we all get some of that stuff Summer successfully tested out against them, or we'll have to think of another way to keep them at bay. Maybe gooping them in place could work?

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)

You misunderstand the basic hierarchy. Auditors are not management, we are simple accountants. We ensure all accounts are settled and that all actions are above board. Upper management is whom you have a grievance with. Shall I inform them?

((Yeah, keep it as 1/2. That was basically me just explaining why a "Brand new" gun still got the "used" discount. ))

Indications point to former methods of insulation being effective but we cannot say for sure. The Pain Dimension may skew perception in unknown ways. Be cautious, even with otherwise guaranteed techniques.

Yes.

You are the first option. For the sake of good will with the Pain Elementals. We will be providing you with a weapon of last resort, however. And we have several other contingencies.

Any non-lethal method of damage should result in them remaining damaged until death. And they are able to withstand a great deal more harm than an ordinary person without expiring. Sub-lethal injury and restraint based techniques are your best bet.

"I think I understand, but there's one thing I don't get. Who's Mr. friend and what are these abilities of his you speak of? I thought Will released a man named Derp?"

Baldwin felt out of the loop compared to his veteran colleagues.

After having it explained to him, Baldwin then asks the auditor if he can take any teeth they extracted from the tortured executives to reload his spooky gun with. Teeth-pulling is torture 101, any torturer worth his salt is bound to have a dozen of them lying around.

At the end of the briefing, Baldwin goes to harvest the cap of the golden mushroom and sells it, using the revenue gained to make a payment to the loan shark.

Spoiler: Baldwin Reborn (click to show/hide)
Ask your team. And report to the nearest infirmary before you leave. They will have teeth for you.

You get 1454 Omni from the sale.

"Demyacracy sounds like bullshit, have someone blind listen to chatter and shock anyone compromised.  It's easy to keep one person safe, and if they're a techie or something it hardly hampers them.  Where did Pathos go, anyway?  Little bugger would be perfect."

EDIT: ...Does Wilfred's current body have a shock implant?  And if not, could he get a shock collar rather than an implant?
You don't have an implant, even if you did originally. Both a collar and an implant are available. If they're ok with you having something removable is up to them.

Any further questions?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: March 30, 2022, 05:12:15 pm »

You misunderstand the basic hierarchy. Auditors are not management, we are simple accountants. We ensure all accounts are settled and that all actions are above board. Upper management is whom you have a grievance with. Shall I inform them?

1) Sure, kick it up the ladder. If they wanna fire or punish me for speaking the truth, it just proves the point.

((And yes, I know it's probably a bad idea, but seems to fit best with Yagyu.))

2) He forgot to answer my second question: "What does 'NEIMBUCTOIE' mean to you?"

A body without limbs poses little threat.
Any non-lethal method of damage should result in them remaining damaged until death. And they are able to withstand a great deal more harm than an ordinary person without expiring. Sub-lethal injury and restraint based techniques are your best bet.

"Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. Last time they didn't seem to need any limbs to work their pain magics, or even eyes and ears to sense their target. But it still seems like our best bet I suppose."

"Ed, could you help me with something? I'd like to upgrade my goop thrower again so it works like the old one. Seems like it will be a good tool to have in there."
3) Give my goop thrower to Ed so he can redo the mod my old one had (overdrive mode).

"Allright lads, one thing before I forget: since Summer indicated that space in there is warped and hard to navigate, we might get separated. If you wish, you can give me a DNA sample which should allow my suit systems to track you. For the brobots among you, you can go scrape some mold off a bathroom stall or whatever and give piece to me, that way I can track your location by proxy. This is voluntary and can be rescinded after the mission, in which case I'll give you your sample back. I can't 100% guarantee the system will work in there, but it's worth a shot. "
4) If anyone gives me a sample, test it to make sure it works, then store it safely.

Yes.

5) Good. In that case, install the temporary shockers/robobody lockouts into people who volunteer (Yagyu does) and give the controls to Ed. He will be our mission control. Can we get something like a strong radiopack (other other coms device, maybe a QEC pack) to ensure we can actually stay i touch with Ed, btw? If not as mission equipment Yagyu would be willing to buy one. 

"So, change in the plan: Ed will stay behind and be our mission control. If one of us gets controlled by friendo, we'll yell at him and he will attempt to shut that person down momentarily so the others won't be forced to kill said person to protect themselves."

6) Explain to all the newbies how Mr. Friend's powers work and the methods we used last time to counteract them. Ask the auditor if we pretty please could get some of those sensory isolation suits from last time for our fleshy team members. Or at the very least some earbuds loaded up with the text-to-speech protocols Pathos invented. The robots can do it manually. 

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 05:50:10 pm by Radio Controlled »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: March 30, 2022, 07:30:59 pm »

Not using a shock collar.  Not giving a DNA sample.

Don't need a sensory suit, either.  It'll probably just make things harder.  More difficult to move, etcetera.

Make a deadman's switch for the VR.  Some simple thing, just a spring-loaded handpiece or something that'll pop open if I forget what I'm doing.  Use one toolkit charge.  If necessary try again with the other toolkit charge.

"Should we have radios at all?  If Mr. Friendly gets a radio, can't he just mind control everyone on the same channel?"

"Nah, I don't need a suit.  You can resist it this time around, right?  And break free?"

"There's a better way then.  I'm going to do my job through these little robots and VR.  Since the mind controlling guy doesn't know what's going on, all I need is a deadman's switch to cut off the VR.  Get taken over, drop out of VR, can't get orders.  Then I'll break free in a minute or so."

Just set me up with something uncomfortable to keep closed, like a spring-loaded switch.  I'll do it myself if necessary."

If I'm given unwanted equipment (radio pack, earbuds, shock collar, suit), stash them so I can try to sell or disassemble them after the mission.

Spoiler: Summer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:36:13 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: March 30, 2022, 07:42:03 pm »

Hey shitty skelly, this rp is directed at you your crap auditor waifu.

"Hey, since you brought us straight here, guess my contract with RnD isn't over yet. It's all above board if they get the footage after, right? Bet they'd like that."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: March 31, 2022, 01:11:02 am »

Give DNA.  Ensure Roll-Polly is safely at home.  Obtain collar.  I'd expect it to not be trivially removable?  They've gotta have welded-on slave collars or something.

...Don't get one if its anti-tamper mechanism is lsthally detonating.

"Awww, man.  I suck at sub-lethal.  Any chance I can run off and buy one of those goopers real quick?"
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 334