Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 482786 times)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Fixer upper
« Reply #3660 on: April 30, 2021, 05:26:17 pm »

Comb the net to see if there’s any info about the airport anomaly at all. 
Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3661 on: May 01, 2021, 07:26:34 pm »

Team Airport Shenanigans
Then ask the Artifact vendors about the kinds of people who usually buy such expensive trinkets. They wouldn't set the price so high if no one ever bought them. I want to find out more about them.

You didn't cover this part of my action. You checked the gun's connection to H.E.L.L, but you didn't interview the merchant.

With no real plan and a lack of essential materials for recon, Baldwin chooses to remain in the EDPC and head with his team towards the airport. Surely he'll be able to find parachutes there! The Silverfish is still mounted on top of the vehicle anyway.

1. In response to the supernatural sight, Baldwin checks his watch for any info. Did it give off any anomalous readings prior to the plane's disappearance? If it didn't then perhaps this isn't an anomaly after all and may instead be honest to goodness ghosts! Surely an occult expert would be able to tell the difference (ie. roll occult to try to determine if these ghosts have any connection to H.E.L.L)

2. Also check the time and the moon phase. Maybe this plane appeared as a result of the clock striking midnight or something like that? Maybe it's a full moon?

3. Look around the area with my newly found binoculars.

Spoiler: Baldwin (click to show/hide)

People buying artifacts tend to be artifact hunters or disaster tourists looking for souvenirs. Occasionally private buyers looking for something specific to carry away quietly, without military knowledge.  The price of these things is quite high but not unreasonably so, they say, considering what people will often pay for them. Get your own artifacts out there and you'll make your fortune soon enough.

1. During the entire process the detector did detect something. In standard mode it pointed an arrow towards the field and displayed a magnitude of 7.9.  The scale goes to 10 but appears to be logarithmic. [6] Occult knowledge leads Baldwin to believe this is a temporal anomaly. The plane and the area exist but what Baldwin saw was clearly their actions and existence at two different times: The present and some point in the past. Knowledge of the rumors surrounding this place indicate that this same scene, or something like it, has played out before to others. A loop then.  He sets his watch to count the time between iterations.

2. Moon phase is unknown, clouds are too thick, but the time is 8:32 PM.

3. The area, now unlit by the phantom double exposure, is pitch black. In fact almost everything around here is. The closest lights, not counting those of the EdPC are several miles away.  A flare or something would help.

"Hey Pathos, could you give that area a quick scan with your fancy new peepers and see what you can find?"

Keep one of the wristwatches for now since nobody on our team asked for one yet. Use it, and the environment scanner, to try and get more information on what is going on there. Also try turning on the biorhythm tracker to see if it picks up on anything. 

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
Scans reveal much of what Baldwin discovered, with two additions. First, a general very low level of electrical charge seems to be hanging over the entire area. The sort you'd expect during a lightning storm: nothing concentrated just sort of everywhere. Second, and this only seemed to occur during the event, the biorhythm sensor seems to be picking up interference of some kind. It displays a slowly throbbing pulse in the 5 or 6 Hz range and nothing else. No localization, no focus, just all around.

"Oh god I'm dead and I'm in the car, oh shit what am I gonna do."
See if there is some way for me to interact with the outside world, that doesn't involve shooting it.

The only possible way to interact meaningfully with the outside world that Burt can find is the "Pushbot" that someone has placed in the EdPC.

Consider

Spoiler: Edward (click to show/hide)
[2]
If cannibalism is illegal, is biting your nails a crime?

Hmmm.

Comb the net to see if there’s any info about the airport anomaly at all. 
[?]
According to the sites Ji can find, the airport is haunted. By who varies, but generally some kind of world war 2 spirit like a dead airman or something like that.

Team Nerd Nabbing
Operation: Mile-High Recon[/b]

Phase One will involve two us getting in the dragonfly and flying around central Anne Harbour to take in the sights. Our altitude should be high enough such that we will only look like a small dot in the sky. Key things to look out for will include military vehicles, guard patrols, large clusters of Smiles members, anti-air defenses (I don't expect them to have such a things since I expect aircraft to be a very rare occurrence here), training camps, and seemingly safe places to land that are near the hospital. I also have an interest in seeing their farms and how their society is run along the river. And the hospital obviously.

Phase two will involve hacking into their communications and other electronic data stuff. We need as much info as possible. That mean's we're going to need to bring a tech guy on board our flying machine. Do we have anybody like that? In a perfect scenario, we'd be able to hack into some device in the hospital and be able to communicate with our guy directly though that, but I doubt Piecewise will make it that easy. Be on the lookout for any gliders as well.

Now this isn't a complete plan, but hopefully after this we will have everything we need to come up with a proper one.))

((This is a good plan, and Wilfred has the tech to try hacking.  It sounds like he can be carried as cargo in the silverfish, and the hardsuit doesn't need a parachute due to possessing jump jets.  Unfortunately, you seem to have decided to leave with the airport team, so...  ::) ))

"Ugh, alright.  I can't fit in that thing to fly it, so whichever two of you chucklefucks decide you want to help scout, fly it over towards the hospital once you're ready.  We'll rendezvous by radio."

Does the hardsuit have built-in binocular abilities?  Oh, and snag the second anomaly detection watch from Yagyu before he leaves.

Start skimming towards the hospital, by way of M14.  Keep an eye on the anomaly watch, and scan for radio signals of any kind.  Basically just keep alert for danger while traveling.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Yes. And Ok.

"I didn't major in no tech shit, so I guess I'm just gonna cling to ya Wilfried Chicken. When we get to the hospital do you'll think they'll have any bodies in there? I'm starving man."

SAM will jump on top of Wilfred's head like a cat, a horse-sized chitinous swiss wet dream cat, but a cat nonetheless. a cat who doesn't want to walk while there's a perfectly good clanker around to carry her

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wilfred and his frightening hat head north, deeper into the city and towards the University of Michigan hospital.  He follows side streets and tries to remain in relatively abandoned areas, keeping his ear on the radio as he advances. Around William street it becomes impossible to continue avoiding populated areas and so he simply skims through quickly, ignoring the glowing windows and dark shadows gazing out on him. He's officially in downtown now; the homes from before are replaced by the ruins of businesses and official buildings, poorly maintained but generally not overgrown. Banners and graffiti hang here and there displaying smiling faces and there are at least a dozen men wearing the emblem that he sees in his rapid push north. He reaches Huron street, traveling up Main Street past what appear to be shopfronts converted into tenements, and pauses to look to the east, towards the Hospital and the river. That entire area is lit up. Not like the orange haze which hovers over this area, smoke and flame from gasoline lanterns, instead its the white glow of electric lights. Distant rumble of machinery can be heard, along with the roar of water. Electrical lines hang over the entire area like cobwebs, all originating in a giant metal tower growing out of the hospital buildings already impressive height.

Down the road are at least two dozen smiles with an armor truck parked sideways across the road. They're eyeing Wilfred but aren't engaging yet.  A quick check of other roads near by shows similar blockages and guards spread out in a semicircle encompassing several blocks around the hospital.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Clouds like raw meat
« Reply #3662 on: May 02, 2021, 12:26:38 am »

Those rusty airplanes ain't gonna buff themselves. Waddle into the darkness. Keep an eye out for equipment in need of repair, especially facilities related stuff like plumbing, electrical lines, etc. Also, keep an eye out for BIG SNACK. They seem to like the darkness.
Spoiler: Team Mascot (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: May 02, 2021, 05:12:20 am »

"Well damn, I guess I'll just sit here and think happy thoughts, wonder if I could borrow the Pushbot at some point in the future?"
Sit and see if I can learn anything while being stuck inside the car.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Is it a war crime if you do it accidently?
« Reply #3664 on: May 02, 2021, 06:01:02 am »

((Quick post, not sure what to do yet.  Will almost certainly edit.))

"Hey, we've ran into a Smiles barricade.  Armored vehicles, infantry, a lot of them.  Apparently these guys have an entire working power grid!  But we're not getting in there unnoticed unless we fly.  Maybe not even then."

Zoom in on the infantry.  What level of armament do they have?  Anything that looks dangerous to my hardsuit?  Rockets, explosives, etc?  How good is their equipment besides; do they have real armor?  Night vision equipment?

Edit: After sizing up the smiles, give them a friendly little wave then just leave and go back the way we came.  Find an area to rendezvous with Baldwin in the Silverfish, and have it pick Wilfred up (still in his hardsuit, as cargo) while SAM flies.  Plan is to drop off Baldwin with the airport team, then head back to Smiles territory.  Fly in from the north side, though.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: May 02, 2021, 11:43:18 am »

"That's a whole lot of smiles Willfrederick, kinda wishing we brought Pathos or Wagyu Steak here."

SAM will use her medical knowledge to ascertain the state of the Smiles. Are they a half-starved militia of child soldiers? An army of elite superman? Or maybe something in between like a regiment of scurvy riddled young adults.

EDIT: Guess SAM will pilot the thing, evolve some wings or gliders in case she fails at that and needs to bail.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:50:57 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: May 02, 2021, 01:51:25 pm »

"Well, that's all I have time for here. I have another engagement to head towards unless someone here wants to fly the silverfish in my place."

Baldwin radios to Wilfred and agrees on a rendezvous point a safe distance from smile's territory. He then takes the silverfish and flies it so he can pick up Wilfred. (Sam too if there is space for her).

They will fly high into the sky and try to obtain a bird's eye view of the area. Focus on these targets in particular:

Spoiler: Targets (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Wilfred will then drop him off at the airport

"So to tell you the truth Will, I think the guys at the airport need someone with my set of skills. This thing isn't too hard to fly, so do you think Sam can pilot it in my place? She can drop me off and then it will just be the two of you."

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:08:14 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: May 03, 2021, 03:36:28 am »

Those standard kit flares, can I shoot them using the ferromagnetic accelerator (and without damaging it)?

If yes, then light one and shoot it over the airfield to illuminate it and take a better look at what is going on. Do this a few times if needed to get a good illumination, we have quite a few spare flares. I’m willing to get a little closer to take the shot if needed (dunno what the range is on this weapon) but don’t get onto the airport itself.

Once illuminated, take a closer look at what is going on. Use scanner to gather more information.

EdPC: use the main gun to fire a flare round if Yagyu’s plan fails or doesn’t illuminate properly. Also use the SPOT! light if it helps. Since currently a regular round is loaded, have pushbot unload it, load in a flare, then reload after shooting the flare (assuming thid wouldn't 'waste' the regular shell, if it would then disregard for now).

"If one of you could send in a drone of sorts to take a closer look, that'd be nice. If not we can shoot one using EdPC but those are in short supply."

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:44:48 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:53 am »

See if I can detect anything strange with my anomaly watch. Try to film a ghosty plane and examine the footage. Try to use motion detector on a ghosty plane or some other moving ghosty object and see if it detects.

Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: May 04, 2021, 10:16:14 am »

Consider whether my guns can shoot ghosts or not.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3671 on: May 04, 2021, 05:54:27 pm »

Team Airport Shenanigans

Consider whether my guns can shoot ghosts or not.
[3]
Ji is pretty sure her guns cannot harm spirits. Well...maybe the experimental gun had some kind of ghost killing ammo but...that's kind of impossible to know one way or another.

See if I can detect anything strange with my anomaly watch. Try to film a ghosty plane and examine the footage. Try to use motion detector on a ghosty plane or some other moving ghosty object and see if it detects.

We'll assume you tired this when it first happened because its not happing now and it won't happen again for [Unknown] hours.

During the entire process the detector did detect something. In standard mode it pointed an arrow towards the field and displayed a magnitude of 7.9.  The scale goes to 10 but appears to be logarithmic.  Now the watch is detecting random things, its arrow spinning to pick out unseen phenomena that seem to be blinking into and out of existence in the distance. None rate more than a 1.5 on the scale.

The motion detector DOES pick up movement from the ghostly plane- it isn't a simple hallucination.

"Well damn, I guess I'll just sit here and think happy thoughts, wonder if I could borrow the Pushbot at some point in the future?"
Sit and see if I can learn anything while being stuck inside the car.
Burt does have access to all the car's cameras and capacities, assuming the dominant force of the EdPC doesn't slap his ghostly hands away. [4] He does a quick search using the EdPC's internet, trying to find out more info about this place.

According to what he can find the place was actually still operating right up until the end, but on a very limited basis. Private craft. VIP's wanting to land somewhere other than the main airport, occasional military planes, shipping companies, etc. As he searches through images he finds one of the runway with a plane landing on it. The plane has a rather distinct logo, though you're not sure what for.

Those standard kit flares, can I shoot them using the ferromagnetic accelerator (and without damaging it)?

If yes, then light one and shoot it over the airfield to illuminate it and take a better look at what is going on. Do this a few times if needed to get a good illumination, we have quite a few spare flares. I’m willing to get a little closer to take the shot if needed (dunno what the range is on this weapon) but don’t get onto the airport itself.

Once illuminated, take a closer look at what is going on. Use scanner to gather more information.

EdPC: use the main gun to fire a flare round if Yagyu’s plan fails or doesn’t illuminate properly. Also use the SPOT! light if it helps. Since currently a regular round is loaded, have pushbot unload it, load in a flare, then reload after shooting the flare (assuming thid wouldn't 'waste' the regular shell, if it would then disregard for now).

"If one of you could send in a drone of sorts to take a closer look, that'd be nice. If not we can shoot one using EdPC but those are in short supply."

Yagyu tests if he can fire a flare. The answer is "Sort of". The flare does have usable magnetic metal inside it, but not very much. Firing it any real distance would be difficult without tearing it apart. However, there is an alternative. He finds a rock that he thinks is roughly the weight of the flare and gives it a hard toss. [8] It is hard to tell where it goes, but the arc  it takes while still visible is promising. So he lights a flare and hurls it out into the airport.  The flare tumbles through the night and [5] lands squarely atop the rusted hulk of the  airplane that seemed to have just landed, illuminating it and everything nearby.  The EdPC turns its spotlight around  and uses it to illuminate a strip between the flickering red island of flare light and the road they're currently standing on.

[9]

The layout of the airport is rather simple: The actual airfield itself is in the center, with the majority of buildings off along the western edge and a few scattered buildings on the east and south edges. The buildings are all quite minimal, simple metal hangers and prefab buildings squatting on wide slabs of cracked and grass riddled concrete. It is clear that this place was once far larger, as the area before the buildings proper is a vast expanse of dirt and rust coated concrete and badly degraded parking lots. Beyond these are the main buildings themselves, with the largest of them being a long, low, almost hanger like building running north to south.  A chain-link fence topped with barbed wire encloses the entire area, though it has fallen here and there. There areas of interest that Yagyu can pick out are the plane, of course, along with the three hangers near it. The only "Gate", which the plane was heading towards, as well as the tower connected to it are potentially interesting. The museum on the east edge of the airport might have something worth stealing, but probably won't tell them much about what's going on.

No sign of any people or animals, aside from some dragonflies zipping around above standing water in a drainage ditch.

Those rusty airplanes ain't gonna buff themselves. Waddle into the darkness. Keep an eye out for equipment in need of repair, especially facilities related stuff like plumbing, electrical lines, etc. Also, keep an eye out for BIG SNACK. They seem to like the darkness.
Bob, fearless as ever, waddles forward and immediately tumbles down the grassy embankment. He rights himself at the bottom with slow and laborious dignity and then scrambles out as the flare flies in over his head and illuminates the area.  He reaches the outer chain-link fence [6] and bashes straight through with complete abandon, knocking it over with his prodigious scaly girth.  He scrambles across the overgrown yard and onto the concrete, slither running across the vast expanse of industrial nothing until he reaches the main building. Nothing seems to happen out of the ordinary.

The entire place is in desperate need of repair: it was clearly ancient even when the disaster happened but now its a rusted shell of itself. The windows are all broken, the steel walls brown and orange with rust. The focal point, the old plane, is laying there like a beached whale. Its landing gear are snapped and its resting on its belly, one wing snapped off and the other pointing up into the air. Gleaming aluminum is somehow corroded and blackened but even still, the logo on the plane's side is still visible. Its a man, or at least the upper half of a man, with what appears to be a corona made of the interlocking circles of a Bohr atomic model.

Team Nerd Nabbing
"Well, that's all I have time for here. I have another engagement to head towards unless someone here wants to fly the silverfish in my place."

Baldwin radios to Wilfred and agrees on a rendezvous point a safe distance from smile's territory. He then takes the silverfish and flies it so he can pick up Wilfred. (Sam too if there is space for her).

They will fly high into the sky and try to obtain a bird's eye view of the area. Focus on these targets in particular:

Spoiler: Targets (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Wilfred will then drop him off at the airport

"So to tell you the truth Will, I think the guys at the airport need someone with my set of skills. This thing isn't too hard to fly, so do you think Sam can pilot it in my place? She can drop me off and then it will just be the two of you."

((Quick post, not sure what to do yet.  Will almost certainly edit.))

"Hey, we've ran into a Smiles barricade.  Armored vehicles, infantry, a lot of them.  Apparently these guys have an entire working power grid!  But we're not getting in there unnoticed unless we fly.  Maybe not even then."

Zoom in on the infantry.  What level of armament do they have?  Anything that looks dangerous to my hardsuit?  Rockets, explosives, etc?  How good is their equipment besides; do they have real armor?  Night vision equipment?

Edit: After sizing up the smiles, give them a friendly little wave then just leave and go back the way we came.  Find an area to rendezvous with Baldwin in the Silverfish, and have it pick Wilfred up (still in his hardsuit, as cargo) while SAM flies.  Plan is to drop off Baldwin with the airport team, then head back to Smiles territory.  Fly in from the north side, though.

"That's a whole lot of smiles Willfrederick, kinda wishing we brought Pathos or Wagyu Steak here."

SAM will use her medical knowledge to ascertain the state of the Smiles. Are they a half-starved militia of child soldiers? An army of elite superman? Or maybe something in between like a regiment of scurvy riddled young adults.

EDIT: Guess SAM will pilot the thing, evolve some wings or gliders in case she fails at that and needs to bail.

Sam and Wilfred both examine their would be targets. They appear to mostly be young men, late teens and early to mid twenties, with a few older men in what seem like leadership positions among the groups. Most are wearing normal street clothing, usually without even so much as a helmet for protection, but a few are in vests and one -a gunner in the back of a truck, is wearing what looks like a bomb disposal tech's suit complete with huge ballistic collar.  As per weapons, those are highly varied. Most seem to have a rifle at least, often times with multiple hand guns secured around their person as well. There are two RPGs  that they can see, along with the previously mention truck which looks like it has a mounted laser with giant battery packs filling most of the truck bed around it.  The majority of their arms are beneath the notice of the hardsuit...but a few in there could be trouble.  And that's only what's visible.

Sam and Wilfred wave to the blockade and jet back out of the city, heading back the way they came. A truck follows them for a few blocks, keeping a respectable distance, but doesn't follow them beyond the bounds of downtown.  They rendezvous with Baldwin and the Silverfish a few miles out, in an overgrown park, and go through the motions of flying back to the airfield. The silverfish can indeed carry the armored suit -a rather impressive feat considering its size and weight- though doing so slows it down and lowers its vertical ceiling considerably. So when they are making their return, circling around towards the north, they have to fly even lower to stay out of everyone's sight.

From the north the previously obscured university hospital is far more visible. It is a massive complex, at least 5 huge buildings, each 7 or 8 stories tall. They're blocky, almost castle like with protrusions that look like battlements and towers; a modern day fortress of concrete.  Hundreds of electrical cables cover the place, stretching from the main building out across the grounds and beyond, into open windows or crudely drilled holes. There are hundreds of people just in the open spaces between the buildings. It looks more like the army base than a gang hive, complete with motor pools and organized supply depots. All or at least most of the buildings are lit and the place shines like a white diamond against the ashen world beyond.

The Huron runs to the east of the complex, skirting its outer walls and then curving away and heading further east. The dam extends out from the hospital complex, Near two helipads and a parking lot along the north west edge. The dam itself is a huge wall of steel and concrete topped with a medusa's mane of cables and transformers that feed power back into the main building. It is at once both ramshackle and impressive; the work of someone with great knowledge and terrible tools. 

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Clouds like raw meat
« Reply #3672 on: May 05, 2021, 05:01:37 am »

Plan Atomic Man Airplane Renovation go! First, waddle around and find as many cinder blocks as I can to prop the plane on, New Detroit style. Then, if i have time this turn, waddle into the hangars and find any and all spare landing gear and supplies i can get my teeth and tentacles on and haul them out to the wreckage. Then locate the damaged parts of the plane's landing gear and remove them, whether via tentacle or spiderbot (well, if the spiderbot is needed, I guess it will be next turn since I can only use one body per turn). It's okay if I only get through part of this action this turn. Can't rush a good renovation.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: May 05, 2021, 05:47:36 am »

Contemplate the logo and see if I can't figure out what it means, if that fails use the internet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: May 05, 2021, 06:18:08 am »

((we should see if we can't find you a power loader or a jeep with teh wheels stolen off it or something for you to inhabit. I'm sure there would have been civilian robot thingums around. I bet we could find an anomaly modified mailpersonbot or something.))
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 334