Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 34164 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2019, 06:33:08 am »

Alright, so I downloaded Elona+ Custom G to check it out.

It says I have to install it over Elona+ Custom, which has to be installed over Elona+.

Problem with that is, the download for Elona+ Custom is gone, basically. The MEGA link got removed, and the repository site is either down or getting blocked by Firefox/my firewall for being spooky.
Nothing important here, move along.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »

the mega link from the current elona custom still works for me at this time (version 1.86.1) maybe you tried to download a previous version of it that disappeared
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:29851
https://mega.nz/#!h8IxESYK!PUgRUF4-ch4nnwmLYAS8J5swefi1G0ugBwEphFL9vsw

just noticed elona custom g also updated since i last downloaded it, with some more good tweak :
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:29336
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:16:16 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2019, 05:46:45 pm »

For those wanting to try elona custom - G and confused or unable to access some of the download links , i uploaded the whole package ( Elona+ 1.86 with Elona Custom 1.86.1 on top with Elona Custom G 1.86.1.3 on top) of the latest version of the whole thing at the time i write here
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XdyoKRLK_vFfVB84xnHPEa90y7hWDw2E

just extract the downloaded elonaplus_cg_1.86.1.3.zip and play.

I have not deleted any file so the elona+ (elonaplus.exe) and elona custom executable (ElonaC.exe) are still there, but you must launch with ElonaCG.exe in order to play with Elona Custom G

I will not update this package further so if there are further patches and etc, you'll have to download them and add manually yourself if you will want a more updated Elona C+G
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:50:21 pm by Robsoie »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2019, 09:07:01 pm »

Thanks for the links/info everyone. Didn't realize there were so many versions of Elona out there.

I myself going to try OOMSEST version next, which is an offshoot of Omake. Dunno how it will be, but it says it (will) eventually have the later acts in it that Omake doesn't have. But I have to find time to get a new game started, cause got a backlog from winter sales.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2019, 09:36:20 pm »

@Robsoie: Thanks.  Had to remember to set compatibility for it, though.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2019, 09:03:45 am »

Yes, i forgot to mention that setting compatibility is required for elona c+g to make it works in window 10

So after many hours and missions in Vernis i finally reached the amount of required points to get access to the town management from the town elder npc (the npc in the house just above the weapons shop) .

Unfortunately it seems it's still a wip feature as none of the option is working and it even say "sorry this is undevelopped"
Oh well, hopefully it's going to get worked soon.

Meanwhile i wanted to regenerate the empty well in Vernis center with the usual trick : burning it to ash with a firewall and go to adventure while waiting for the map to regenerate.
Worked good on the previous attempts.

Though this time, despite going to clear 2 dungeons when i came back :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What a mess :D

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2019, 08:11:40 pm »

Are you sure they are not Dorfs who just happened to pump-stack some Magma to the surface?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2019, 09:25:51 pm »

I should have mentionned that my character is a dwarf, so things burning in uncontrolled raging fire is to be expected :D

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2019, 12:48:55 am »

I've hit upon a new way of playing.  I'm sure its not new at all, but I'll share it anyways:

Play as a Dynasty:
Chose a playmode with permadeath
Have that character get a soulmate, and create geneseeds regularily.
When that character inevitably dies, play that geneseed
However, the next character needs more valuable stuff than in the heirchest before they can create a geneseed

Ok, so I tried it myself, and its pretty cool.  After 12 and a half hours, I finally created my gene!  I managed to snag a living weapon (a dagger) for the next generation.  I specialized it in aiding casting, so that future generations can dual wield it without penalty.  Kinda ironic that the Founder would be a Warrior, specializing in shields...
PRO-TIP: Skill Tickets are Inheritable!   These mighty things can be exchanged for one free skill from a skill trainer, and all you have to do to earn them is level up!  But they're semi-limited, unless you inherit a bunch from your predecessors.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:23 am »

That sounds interesting, i guess the hardest part is to survive long enough to get to soulmate level.
My characters die a lot in their first few levels due to mostly stupid mistakes.

Something good to inherit i think would be balls filled with strong monsters, so the next generation can start with powerful allies to avoid them perma dying in their first few levels. But that require the previous gen to have survived enough to be able to capture a strong monster with a high enough leveled ball, with perma death it's easier said than done.

About living weapons, are they that interesting ? i mean from reading about them after they level they gain an unavoidable "eat the weapon user own health point" horribly bad skill that sound rather nasty when you're in difficult fight.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2019, 09:24:22 am »

That sounds interesting, i guess the hardest part is to survive long enough to get to soulmate level.
My characters die a lot in their first few levels due to mostly stupid mistakes.

Something good to inherit i think would be balls filled with strong monsters, so the next generation can start with powerful allies to avoid them perma dying in their first few levels. But that require the previous gen to have survived enough to be able to capture a strong monster with a high enough leveled ball, with perma death it's easier said than done.

About living weapons, are they that interesting ? i mean from reading about them after they level they gain an unavoidable "eat the weapon user own health point" horribly bad skill that sound rather nasty when you're in difficult fight.

Living weapons are (in E+ and derivatives) guaranteed to develop the "it sucks the blood of the wielder" enchantment at every level beyond 10. You can safely take them to level 10. In other words, you get ten choices for what enchantments you want rather than a random set. Even a plain living weapon with no starting enhancements will be better than anything short of a perfect Godly artifact simply because you get useful stuff instead of "It maintains X" and random skill boosts.

The most universal option for leveling one is to add +4 to the enhancement bonus, which is always available. This ignores the normal +10 cap (make sure to get to +10 with scrolls and a smith before you use this), and (if you weren't aware) works the same as in D&D, so you can end up with, say, a +30 weapon, meaning +30 to-hit and +30 damage on top of whatever else you choose.

You can add increased critical hit chance, piercing attack chance, enhance spells (for a mage's statstick)... and that's about all you want to use. The skill/attribute bonuses are shit (except for Speed, which is still not a good pick). Elemental damage is okay in Act 1 but falls off. Elemental resists are bad bad bad unless you're doing them on a statstick you aren't going to be attacking with (like a bow on a mage or a dagger on a gunfighter).

They shine even more if you spam sharp equip making crafts until you get ones with good innate enchantments. My Claymore has a pair of living claymores I crafted with [####] enhanced criticals and Invokes Regeneration [#####+]. Shit outshines basically anything you're ever going to get naturally. Even just going straight to +50 enhancement bonus will be better than pretty much anything, but adding crit is almost always good too.

Used to be that you could abuse scrolls of name and material kits to indefinitely avoid generating bloodsucking on levelup, but that's long since been changed.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:10:30 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2019, 12:43:32 pm »

Well, now I feel like an idiot for picking the boost casting.  It already had boost casting, so I figured "why not double down"?  Eh, I'll defend the decision as helping with the dual wield penalty.

For my permadeath character, I thought a Warrior would be ideal for the founder, since they start out strong and level off later on.  I generally stayed out of dungeons and paid off bandits.  I'm not sure if a permadeath wizard would work: reading spellbooks can kill you, and you are too weak in melee to gain the levels to not die from the spellbooks.  My general starting strategy is to spam harvest time quests after reaching level 3 or so.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2019, 01:49:42 pm »

So it's safe to only level up your living weapon up to 10 and stop leveling it after that to avoid the nasty self damaging stuff ?

After reading a bit, it looks like leveling the weapon between level 10 and 15 it's not guaranteed to have that skill, it's a matter of luck, it's only definitively guaranteed at level 15, only in old Elona by using scroll of names apparently it was possible to avoid the bad skill between level 10 and 15 but in elona+ this trick isn't working anymore.

So better stop at 10 then i guess with my natural bad luck :D

About genes, this page has some interesting hints in what to do to optimise those inheritances
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Powergamer's_guide

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2019, 05:58:12 pm »

Where is everyone finding living weapons? It's been long enough that I forgot that.

So after many hours and missions in Vernis i finally reached the amount of required points to get access to the town management from the town elder npc (the npc in the house just above the weapons shop) .

Unfortunately it seems it's still a wip feature as none of the option is working and it even say "sorry this is undevelopped"
Oh well, hopefully it's going to get worked soon.

WIP, but they have set it up to re-enable voting for who you think the werewolf is. Useful for killing off adventurers to loot their stuff, or named NPCs for collecting good cards and figures.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2019, 09:24:01 pm »

So it's safe to only level up your living weapon up to 10 and stop leveling it after that to avoid the nasty self damaging stuff ?

After reading a bit, it looks like leveling the weapon between level 10 and 15 it's not guaranteed to have that skill, it's a matter of luck, it's only definitively guaranteed at level 15, only in old Elona by using scroll of names apparently it was possible to avoid the bad skill between level 10 and 15 but in elona+ this trick isn't working anymore.

So better stop at 10 then i guess with my natural bad luck :D
By my understanding it will always attempt to add it on level up from 10->11 on. It only doesn't if the item has already hit the enchantment number cap, in which case it will delete the lowest one. The material kit workaround is generally not worthwhile because it precludes you from adding the special bonuses (crit, damage to gods, &c.) as those are lower on the list than the stat boosts you can get from material types. That, combined with the fact that the enchantment you choose is added before bloodsucking, means that those special enchantments will always be the first to be deleted, thus making the only viable no-bloodsucking lv.15 living weapons ones with only enhancement bonuses, elemental damage/resists, and skill/stat bonuses. Not to mention that it requires you to waste material kits for a weapon worse than a lv.10 one with the special damage bonuses.

Not even worth it on a statstick resist weapon since you ought to be trying to roll one with a special status condition protection enchantment, which would likewise be deleted first.

Where is everyone finding living weapons? It's been long enough that I forgot that.

You almost never find them naturally. You can use the pot for fusion recipe for Sharp Equip Making to craft artifacts (55 Alchemy + 60 Carpentry + 1x weapon of the type you want + 1x sharp materium + 1x sharp high materium + 1x stardust = 3x miracle/godly artifacts of the weapon type you used), which have a chance of being living weapons. I'd estimate you've got about 10-20% odds of getting a living weapon in any given batch, but you can savescum it in E+C, which I would seriously recommend in lieu of trying to grind stardust. Then it's just a matter of finding one with an innate enchantment you like.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13