Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 34154 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:57 pm »

Note that stardust is somewhat easy to farm from performance quests since uniques regularly show up and don't die permanently if you kill them during the quest.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2019, 10:09:13 pm »

I got my living weapon from a wandering shopkeeper.  I think they're probably the most reliable/easy source of living weapons (while puppy cave might produce more artifacts in any given time, the fact they're not identified means its harder to find the living weapons).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:47 pm »

When grinding training Magic Capacity, the goal is to go as far below your maximum MP as possible (which is why lower max MP is actually better for training the skill).

Knowing that, I cast a 240+ MP spell I learned from a dream "Meteor." So uh, now 3/5 of my pets are unhappy they got killed. I mean, it worked though, so there's that.

Also, eating equipment that gives +0 in a stat gives a message that the stat has been decayed. Not enough that it probably matters, but it does. Good to know for future people who eat equipment for quick skill increases (how else am I going to get Greater Evasion skilled up high enough that it fires? That's right katanas and certain armor.).

Other than my weird skill levels (~80 for both light and medium armor, ~20-30 for skills I use), and my lack of progress on gods (I remember to burn the altars about half the time, so I just got the second item from my second god), I'm probably ready to leave North Tyris. I just need to get more than 3-4 levels in the plot dungeon without running out of space (including dumping non-magical weapons and armor as they get identified). Last time I was there, Act 2 was about complete, so I've got some new plot to experience.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2019, 04:52:19 pm »

I think my team is now ready to take on Zeome with my character reaching level 39 , with good enough stats (thanks to some blessed potion of evolution i got from wishes that allowed me to kept those stats potential high enough for them to increase).

It's been a huge more lot of hours i thought i would spend on this  :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enough fame to also get number 1 ranked adventurer, so i think everything is now in order for the conclusion of this 1st chapter.

I then decided to give a try to a 40+ random dungeon to test my squad and we went through it without problem.
And in the last floor of it, a monster just dropped a evolution heart, my first of that game.

Applied it to the girl that then transformed into a valkyrie. I guess Zeome's days are now numbered.
I'll have to grind a few more of those dungeon to see if i can fetch another of those super rare hearts, some of my team members should like that.

edit : oh wow , looks like there's a new event in the 34th floor of Lesimas that wasn't there last time i got in it.
And if you don't have good resistance to nerve and nether, your team is toast.

Took me by surprise considering it's been so long since my character died. Lucky me i lost nothing of real value when crawling back, but i will know for later to check what kind of resistance i have in this kind of new (to me) situation.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:07:25 pm by Robsoie »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2019, 07:43:07 pm »

When grinding training Magic Capacity, the goal is to go as far below your maximum MP as possible (which is why lower max MP is actually better for training the skill).

Knowing that, I cast a 240+ MP spell I learned from a dream "Meteor." So uh, now 3/5 of my pets are unhappy they got killed. I mean, it worked though, so there's that.
Normal method has been to spam buffs until you start taking significant damage then light heal, it works by healing the damage you take from overcasting, just make sure you don't instant kill yourself with it. The books are also fairly easy to get.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2019, 09:59:10 am »

While doing the 1vs1 arena battle to make my character gaining ranks in those arena fights i ran into a monster named "yeek hard worker" , as it was a yeek i was wondering why the game assigned that as an opponent (as my character is currently rank 3 "super elite gladiator" in the arena)
Looking on wiki it didn't seem anything that special , even the resists looked to be low
https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Yeek_hard_worker

Then the fight started, and the thing was just unkillable.

Oh it wasn't dangerous in any ways as it couldn't even do noticable damage on my character at that point of the game, but the thing is the "yeek hard worker" regen or healed itself every turn like crazy, going to full health in a few turns.
And from my side despite the wiki listed low resistances my most damaging melee , ranged or spells were only lowering its health very slowly, meaning it was regenerating faster than i could damage it.

As he additionally resisted every damned hexs i could use (throwing potions or spells versions), nothing seemed to work to destroy that annoying pest.

I only finally managed to kill that harmless but idiotically high regenerating thing by using lots of summon spirits spell (that i got from dreams and unlike summon monster or summon wild, summon spirit deliver friendly monsters as they shoot at your targets) and then use my special crossbow ranged attack (as half of the time it lands a nicely damaging gravity spell on impact) and with such focus fire finally we managed to finally damage it more than it could heal (still took a lot of turns to get his health down to 0) .

Funny to think we atomised Zeome in only 2 turns (i was really surprised that my character and his squad was overleveled for this chapter 1 final battle) and a crappy yeek mob can last several hundred of turns against powerfull barrage of attacks from multiple sources.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:02:36 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2019, 11:30:40 pm »

Normal method has been to spam buffs until you start taking significant damage then light heal, it works by healing the damage you take from overcasting, just make sure you don't instant kill yourself with it. The books are also fairly easy to get.

Sure, if you're doing things the smart way, or reading descriptions before trying out massive spells. My second use of the spell was against a <King> chess piece that had summoned minions. I had gotten the <King> to low enough health that it ran through the wall to where I couldn't see it, summoned more minions, while regen-ing, then matrix-dodged my meteors. Then I got swarmed and murdered.

While doing the 1vs1 arena battle to make my character gaining ranks in those arena fights i ran into a monster named "yeek hard worker" , as it was a yeek i was wondering why the game assigned that as an opponent (as my character is currently rank 3 "super elite gladiator" in the arena)
Looking on wiki it didn't seem anything that special , even the resists looked to be low
https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/Yeek_hard_worker

Then the fight started, and the thing was just unkillable.

One of the issues I've seen in Elona is there is a thin line between almost no damage and taking something out in a few rounds. I'm not sure what causes it, but I'm guessing it has to do with the way armor and damage both scale.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2019, 03:35:10 am »

I noticed there are sometime "powered-up" variant of a regular monster (similarly to a random dungeon boss) , it's very rare but it happens, and can be encountered in any dungeon, even the puppy cave.

Usually those variants have no visual or sound clue but they take a huge lot more of a beating to be taken down, and similarly to dungeon bosses they seem to be able to destroy walls when moving.

Maybe in the case of this specific yeek i was mentionning, the game generated it as one of those powered up monster for some reason (bad roll luck i guess), but the regen level was on another level .

Also something that make a huge difference are the resists, between having even only a few levels in a specific resist and having none, the difference of damage is very noticable (i remember that Lesimas 34th floor event), maybe in the case of those powered up variant of regular monster the game also can assign really high resists randomly (probably explaining why the damn thing was resisting all the debuff hex i could use)

Something very good i noticed about Elona+ Custom -G is that in the tweaks option you can allow to sell your own manufactured furnitures in your shops instead of being unable to do so, very usefull to make some more money and getting your shopkeeper to train the shop rank.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:41:27 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 11:47:27 am »

Has anyone found a use for devil fragments? I've got...a lot saved up.

Also I should probably learn about shops. I don't really need the money (cargo and performer are good enough, unless I want potions of potential from the Festival of Jure), is there any other benefit?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2019, 12:13:05 pm »

Other than the money, your shopkeeper add some items too in the safe where he puts the money when he makes some sales.
Mostly furnitures from what i saw, that i put for sales immediately.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:37 pm »

Devil/dark fragments currently don't do anything. In the future, they'll be used to buy a specific set of new special actions and features related to traps.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2019, 11:52:24 am »

Equipment shops are nice. You'll run across mountains of loot that's not utter trash but also not good enough for you or your pets, and selling directly to NPC stores is highly inefficient compared to vendor trash skin/eyes/&c.s' weight:price ratio. It's also a good way to build up a pool of accessible but tax-free gold just in case you need it when you've just dumped everything into a kitty bank. I usually let my shop safe build up to ~1 million gold before pulling it out for investments and kitty banking.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:15 pm »

OMG, I just ran into a random drake in a lvl 3 hunting quest, and it dropped a <Drake Rod>! At my relatively noob lvl of 20, this thing is amazing.
I'm torn between equipping it for myself or giving it to a pet. I tend to do most of my combat with my bow from a distance; my melee is stronger, but few enemies actually get close enough for me to need it. Meanwhile my kitty and baby dragon each insist on clawing everything to death so they could make much better use of the extra attack and defensive stats on the rod.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:17 pm »

Give it to a pet, so you can have a minion that beats things to death with a giant castrated dragon dong, yes. You wielding it is fine but like a little girl is or something is maximal :3
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:12 pm »

I'd probably keep it.  DV 20, Speed 12, plus Cold/Fire resist?  Yes, I think I will keep holding on to that thing while I shoot everything in sight.  At least until I find something better to hold onto...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13