Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 59

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 4: We're Done Here  (Read 92842 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 4: Day 1: Er, What (13/12)
« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2018, 11:40:11 am »

Let's say that everything you say is true. Let's assume you are Town. What makes you assume that, when you die, there isn't an action to make your flip look like scum? What makes you think that there isn't an ability to keep you dead? Perhaps strip you of your abilities when lynched?
None of those would actually affect me, actually! I mean, yes, those could all happen, BUT, I'd be able to just keep playing. And eventually I could deal with those problems. Moreover, up until some undisclosed time that I have no idea when and might already have passed, I can/could just decide nope and make it so I won't be lynched at all, but I decided not to do that. Maybe I should do that, but I don't have enough energy right now.

Pertinently, with all deference to Blaise Pascal, I have only made these comments terser because I have not had the time to make them more prolix, for which I apologise, but I won't mind playing other me if it comes to that.
By the way, you've fallen for the classic fallacy of assuming there isn't something that exists to counter your role. And I trust the mod more than you, so I'm sure there is.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:25 am »

Let's say that everything you say is true. Let's assume you are Town. What makes you assume that, when you die, there isn't an action to make your flip look like scum? What makes you think that there isn't an ability to keep you dead? Perhaps strip you of your abilities when lynched?
None of those would actually affect me, actually! I mean, yes, those could all happen, BUT, I'd be able to just keep playing. And eventually I could deal with those problems. Moreover, up until some undisclosed time that I have no idea when and might already have passed, I can/could just decide nope and make it so I won't be lynched at all, but I decided not to do that. Maybe I should do that, but I don't have enough energy right now.

Pertinently, with all deference to Blaise Pascal, I have only made these comments terser because I have not had the time to make them more prolix, for which I apologise, but I won't mind playing other me if it comes to that.
Hmm, maybe I should put this another, clearer way:

IF YOU ARE TOWN, WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW IS THE OPPOSITE OF HELPFUL TO TOWN.

If there exists even the slightest chance that you are Town right now, you should take a hard look at how you're playing and vow never to do whatever this is again. You are almost entirely anti-Town at this point. It's... mortifying that what you think you're doing might be helpful.

I'm assuming a few things are going to happen. My assumption is that you will die when lynched. My other assumption is that you will take control of Sheldon. And my third assumption is that you will die while Sheldon because of how scummy you are. The only real benefit this may have given the Town is that you were either scum, or your death removed an anti-Town presence.

There's very few scenarios in my head where what you're doing is useful, and I really don't see them playing out the way you think they will.

Anyway, as of right now I don't think two mafia players would be stupid enough to out themselves with an easily discernible lie, SO I now consider it slightly more likely that Teneb and persus are being catfished by someone else. I know for a fact that they did not receive messages from the actual Sheldon. Until some kinda votecount shows up, though, I don't have a better suggestion and thus my vote stands.
I want to slam your head against a desk right now. Sheldon has never messaged me. I never claimed he did. He posted in a private chat, which IS NOT THE SAME AS SENDING A MESSAGE.

Do you even know what quicktopic is?

TripMagic, do you even read my posts?
I wish I had time for you. Perhaps Tomorrow. Though, would you mind building a case on a few people? Trip, maybe? Your posts could do with some substance.

By the way, you've fallen for the classic fallacy of assuming there isn't something that exists to counter your role. And I trust the mod more than you, so I'm sure there is.
I think that he's too far down that rabbit hole. It's far more likely he's scum going for some high-tier gambit than anything else. And if he's Town... I just don't even know.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:21 am »

I would like to point out sarcasm.. Which you miss, somehow..

First response to Web.. I'm just going to not.

You do need to follow your feelings, but without evidence, trying to lynch that person is useless. I just get the feeling of non-town from you for what appears to be attack against TheBiggerFish. I mean, rolefishing can be useful to a person, for various reasons, be it to investigate a claim, or to add to one's plot of the game's flow.

To Bandwagoning, IcyTea. That's all I need to argue for that, I never voted him. As for Scumhunting, I'm afraid you may be mistaken. Sorry if you don't see it from what appears to be the bandwagon against Caz early on after that 50$ bid. You are not all that subtle.

I'm not allays subtle either, but I have been collecting info.

As for my vote on MaxSpin, seeing him off is the idea. And arguments have been made against him by others. Repeating them can also be seen as a scum tactic, so I don't.

Accusing others, hypocrisy at it's finest here. I accuse you, you accuse me, where does that end? I don't feel you to be town, not entirely, and have no investigative ability to back it up. Others do seem to have investigative day abilities though, I don't.

Finally, what do you mean by Projection? Do you have some sort of investigation result on me?

Persus, I do read it, but I thought you meant he barged in and started talking. Also, why is a quote to Max in that post?

2 more posts, but posting this to the first two.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2018, 11:58:50 am »

allays is always.. allays is also apparently a word.

At this point, the fact he spoke in defense of an apparent mason duo is what has gotten him off my list. I also note that today is when the bidding for that 3-shot RB shield ends.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »

Can we have a votecount?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 26, 2018, 12:32:43 pm »

Webadict:
I wish I had time for you. Perhaps Tomorrow. Though, would you mind building a case on a few people? Trip, maybe? Your posts could do with some substance.
I thought I had a decent summary of my case against Trip in the first post I voted him in. He's a straight forward case of activelurking and bandwagoning, and if other people can't see that for themselves, I'm not sure what I could do to make that clearer.

I think that he's too far down that rabbit hole. It's far more likely he's scum going for some high-tier gambit than anything else. And if he's Town... I just don't even know.
He reads like an overconfident town whose in over his head to me. He doesn't play by the bay12 meta though, so I can't read him very well. Generally I don't see high-tier gambits from scum in the first day, and usually they have team mates to back them up.

Trip:
Persus, I do read it, but I thought you meant he barged in and started talking. Also, why is a quote to Max in that post?
Its almost like I was specifically responding to something Maximum Spin said in the quote. Which I was. Just the last sentence was directed at you, with the rest being meant for Maximum Spin. Will you read my other posts where I direct stuff at you and answer them now?

Also, are you one of those folks who uses their phone to post? Because generally it helps to quote what you are responding to.

General:
Can we have a votecount?

Have we had a votecount since last Friday?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 26, 2018, 12:49:28 pm »

Webadict:
I thought I had a decent summary of my case against Trip in the first post I voted him in. He's a straight forward case of activelurking and bandwagoning, and if other people can't see that for themselves, I'm not sure what I could do to make that clearer.
Well, yes, your Trip case is certainly substantial. I just meant if you had something on anyone else because I'd like to see if you had any other particular suspects. Again, I'm not really up for arguing with you Today, so if the answer is no, it's no, and I'll deal with it Tomorrow. I'm merely suspicious of you because I expect a lot from you, so the more I see your thought process, the more at ease I can be. Perhaps there was a second person you were suspicious of, even if you don't have a solid case.

If we weren't lynching Maximum Spin, I'd be more pushy about it, but he's hogging the limelight. Plus, I'm trying not to detach my optical nerves from rolling my eyes too hard when I talk about Maximum Spin.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:04 pm »

Webadict:He's a straight forward case of activelurking and bandwagoning, and if other people can't see that for themselves, I'm not sure what I could do to make that clearer.

Tbh I would prefer to lynch TricMagic over Maximum Spin

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:21 pm »

Webadict:He's a straight forward case of activelurking and bandwagoning, and if other people can't see that for themselves, I'm not sure what I could do to make that clearer.

Tbh I would prefer to lynch TricMagic over Maximum Spin
Please elaborate on why that would be more beneficial.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:58 pm »

Why are you using that word, use Tric if you want to shorten it.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 26, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »

Do you actually have any problem with getting lynched? More importantly since you seem to be claiming to be basically invulnerable: will your role flip when you're lynched or is this just a waste of everyone's time?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 26, 2018, 02:29:04 pm »

I just did the Votecount.
We're only one vote away from hammering MaxSpin Out

Someone, please unvote before we make a mistake.
I don't think it's time yet to plunge deep into the lake

I will only post the full count once I see one other person unvote
Mine was cast back when it was Hector13, and it wasn't for anyone of note.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2018, 02:45:09 pm »

Eh, Screw it. I hammer Maximum Spin

It will prevent people from blocking his revive, And perhaps let us win.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2018, 02:48:48 pm »

Here's the count if you don't believe me.
Take a look and you will see the same thing I see.

Votecount:

*(0) - heydude6
*(0) - randomgenericusername
*(1) - TricMagic: Persus13
*(0) - IcyTea31
*(0) - TheBiggerFish
*(7) - Maximum Spin: web, adict, Deus Asnoth, Teneb, TricMagic, IcyTea, Caz, heydude6
*(0) - Caz
*(0) - Persus13
*(0) - Deus Asmoth
*(0) - Rockeater
*(0) - Sheldon
*(0) - webadict
*(1) - Teneb: Maximum Spin

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2018, 02:54:28 pm »

I want to slam your head against a desk right now. Sheldon has never messaged me. I never claimed he did. He posted in a private chat, which IS NOT THE SAME AS SENDING A MESSAGE.
... that is a form of sending a message. A post is a message. Don't be deliberately obtuse. Sheldon cannot post in your private chat. Sheldon cannot do what you claim. If you believe a message was received from Sheldon, you were misled.

But. Let's be realistic here.

Literally everyone who is town: You see how there's clearly some rule that the scum players have to be excessively aggressive in the daythread, right? Either that or they want to pretend there is, maybe to build cover by later scaling it back or by having another member keep peaceful so that people will think "oh well, guess they can't be mafia", but either way the excessive deliberate aggression is clear and clearly suspect.

Obvious people to lynch to test this hypothesis include Persus, webadict, Teneb, maybe IcyTea.

So let's keep this as a reminder for all of us: If you are not required to be aggressive, keep a level head no matter what they say, so we can tell the difference.

I also figure there's about 5 mafia players. Given the previous list, I could hypothesise about fifths, but I'd rather not at this juncture.

Do you actually have any problem with getting lynched? More importantly since you seem to be claiming to be basically invulnerable: will your role flip when you're lynched or is this just a waste of everyone's time?
I'm not invulnerable. I can just still help town if I get lynched. I won't be able to vote, and I'll lose access to my (not very great, honestly) abilities, and there's also a few other slight/major vulnerabilities I'm not addressing until I need to in order to avoid having them exploited. Of course if I had triggered the "reset time" trick then 'invulnerable', exactly once, would be more accurate, but it doesn't really do me any good. What's 'more time' going to do? Anyway, I don't want to be lynched, as it's a waste of town energy as well as directly harmful to me, so yes, I have a problem with it, but I can make the best of it. If I decide to bother, honestly. I'm almost definitely not going to trigger the revive part, for example, unless i come to believe it's necessary. (The revive part would be a full revive, separate from 'can still help town'.)

As far as I know, my role would actually flip. I would be effectively dead. Just, not completely.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 59