Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21765 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

>Looks like a bard skillset, albeit not quite as dependent on allies. Your main skills are Harmony, Spirits, and Ignition, which makes me think you are going for a summon and buff-based playstyle. Am I right?
I just took the skills that seemed most likely to let me perform musical numbers. I have no idea how this set actually plays, though summons and buffs probably fit the bill of a one-man-band.

I'm also not entirely sure whether self-playing instruments count as Wavecraft, Spiritseeing or Artifice, but I don't think any of those will be a problem. Self-playing instruments that also spit pyrotechnics will probably include Ignition, though.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

>Looks like a bard skillset, albeit not quite as dependent on allies. Your main skills are Harmony, Spirits, and Ignition, which makes me think you are going for a summon and buff-based playstyle. Am I right?
I just took the skills that seemed most likely to let me perform musical numbers. I have no idea how this set actually plays, though summons and buffs probably fit the bill of a one-man-band.

I'm also not entirely sure whether self-playing instruments count as Wavecraft, Spiritseeing or Artifice, but I don't think any of those will be a problem. Self-playing instruments that also spit pyrotechnics will probably include Ignition, though.

Wavecraft is the die you roll when you cast a spell through a wavegear. If you want it to play itself, you have two options: use a spirit, or use an Ignition.

Ignition is for simple non-thinking stuff. Rather than going out and recruiting spirits, all you have to do is give the instrument a fixed routine. It won't make intelligent decisions on its own, but that's fine; you can direct them using a composition. Artifice can give those self-playing instruments gain or amplification.

Alternatively, you can hand instruments to a spirit and have it go wild. You'll need the spirit to come with you if you want it to be a part of the composition, so you'd probably want to embed it within the instrument to protect it. Which can also be done through artifice.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

In that case, I'll move some Potential from Wavecraft into Artifice. You can't stop the music!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back from the trip, time to get things finalized.

Still haven't received a sheet from Wunderkatze.

TheBiggerFish and TricMagic haven't finished their sheets.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Axiom: Advancement of Symbiosis.

Put simply, to help those in the group and bring cooperation and harmony in all things.

Self and Spirits within. Forest And Radio Life. Spirits and Living.

Has not been the best day, so I'm putting this before I lose it.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there still room for one more?
Spoiler: Mech smith (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:11:12 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Axiom: Advancement of Symbiosis.

Put simply, to help those in the group and bring cooperation and harmony in all things.

Self and Spirits within. Forest And Radio Life. Spirits and Living.

Has not been the best day, so I'm putting this before I lose it.

What group in particular? Is it something others can join?

Is there still room for one more?
Spoiler: Sword smith (click to show/hide)

Typically speaking everyone has knowledge of magic. Humans wouldn't be able to survive without it. It's possible that they could lose the knowledge over time due to the relevant teachers dying off in an accident, however.

I don't think "Knightmare Syndicate" sounds like it would fit in the setting. You can leave it as a mystery, if you want me to better integrate your backstory into the setting. Especially since an academy is not qn inconspicuous place to hide.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, I'll remake the backstory, for what is probably the fifth or sixth time.
Done, Much simpler backstory, just as compelling in my opinion, but one that might also be equally outside the setting. Are there any texts remaining from when the sun was still in the sky? (if it ever was)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:39:10 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Family, Social Circle, Friends{as idiotic as the last one is}

Try to get everyone to get along. Those they care for at least. And see them work together.

Granted, that Axiom can be twisted, but that's more an evil plot twist from the GM, rather than the nature of the bond between Fairy and Spirits.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right, I'll remake the backstory, for what is probably the fifth or sixth time.
Done, Much simpler backstory, just as compelling in my opinion, but one that might also be equally outside the setting. Are there any texts remaining from when the sun was still in the sky? (if it ever was)

Not paper records, no. Those don't last that long and civilization has not existed long enough to maintain them. You might find archaeological evidence in the vaults, but mainstream theories about history are the sort of thing you would learn at the academy and not before, unless your character is associated with the bastions.

In general, educated people know what stars are, physics, nuclear fusion, etc, but Fragment itself orbits a brown dwarf which has since cooled to be as black as the rest of the sky. Nobody has ever seen a star form so how it got there is theory but it's possible a long-lived spirit could know the actual means by which stars form--testimony of spirits is not usually considered strong evidence since there are so many, so there might be a situation where a spirit knows the truth but you would just have tk trust it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile my character is associated with the spirits.

As a side note, I just need my appearance and Bio, correct?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:21:05 pm by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, Has fragment ever had a moon? Or some celestial object that once shone in the sky?

Edit: Changed the backstory to reflect the new information. Now she is trying to make a magical object that acts as a sun for the world.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:31:40 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, Has fragment ever had a moon? Or some celestial object that once shone in the sky?

Edit: Changed the backstory to reflect the new information. Now she is trying to make a magical object that acts as a sun for the world.

Technically it is a planet, because a brown dwarf is a star and stars don't have moons. But brown dwarfs are a lot like gas giants, so the relationship is more like that of a moon than a planet. But the main point is that if it had a sun or if the brown dwarf glowed at some point, it has not been witnessed during the current civilization. You could observe the brown dwarf itself if you amplified your night vision using magic, but there are other objects that you can see by doing that.

I did mention something about stars to Qassius on pg. 4:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171563.msg7822572#msg7822572

Meanwhile my character is associated with the spirits.

As a side note, I just need my appearance and Bio, correct?

Sure, just edit this post instead of posting a new one. Let me know when you've edited it, but I'd like to see the cumulative changes all together rather than searching through the thread to find them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:55:42 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right so that spirit that spoke to her was definitely lying out their a**. Which actually makes her story a bit more interesting, since she is driven by a fictional tale, but she aims to turn into a real thing. They probably won't succeed, ever, but still. It might be interesting.

_DivideByZero_ Could you look over my background and check to see if it complies with the lore? And out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to make a magical device that flies at a high altitude and emits light/heat?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:33:35 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right so that spirit that spoke to her was definitely lying out their a**. Which actually makes her story a bit more interesting, since she is driven by a fictional tale, but she aims to turn into a real thing. They probably won't succeed, ever, but still. It might be interesting.

_DivideByZero_ Could you look over my background and check to see if it complies with the lore? And out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to make a magical device that flies at a high altitude and emits light/heat?

I personally liked the implication that they built her out of scrap that you had in previous edits.

The ancient spirit came from where? Was she wandering the wilderness or approached in her home? I presume the former since you mentioned the village was poor.

Re: The floating sun idea; this would be possible if you could find a way to power such a thing. Astronomical amounts of power... you would certainly have to seek out greater beings.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14