Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21786 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updated it yet again. Lore should be good to go. Why does my text seem small.

Edit: quick talk about what my character is meant to do. Primarily she is meant to make equipment, and get tons of overshot crits. They may not be the overall best artificer, but they'll probably get the most crits at anything. Combined with decent ignition and harmony levels, and you have a decent support character. Not to mention that her artificial limbs are fairly strong, might not come up often but still.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:27:18 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

I made a WIP bio. Its on page one.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Updated it yet again. Lore should be good to go. Why does my text seem small.

Edit: quick talk about what my character is meant to do. Primarily she is meant to make equipment, and get tons of overshot crits. They may not be the overall best artificer, but they'll probably get the most crits at anything. Combined with decent ignition and harmony levels, and you have a decent support character. Not to mention that her artificial limbs are fairly strong, might not come up often but still.

Right now the rest of the roster looks like:

Supernerd - Tempestor + Artificer
Wunderkatze - Mega Artificer with general Wavecraft
TricMagic - Tempestor with general Spiritseeing
IcyTea31 - Non-elemental general skills with a focus on Harmony
HighEndNoob - Mega Artificer with general Spiritseeing
Qassius - Wavecraft with some Artifice + Ignition

I would classify your character as a generalist technically, since you don't have lv. 4 in any stat. However the large amount of equipment crits means your character is probably more geared to making equipment (enchanted with Ignitions) rather than constructs and automatons like our two Artifice minmaxers. You have a d10 and crit on a 8+, meaning that about a third of the time you will overshoot and get a masterwork-esque bonus.

That being said, with 5 people having an Artifice stat of 3 or more, I'm getting the feeling everyone is going to be making their own stuff. It may make sense to roll some points into Ignition from your other stats so you can enchant other people's stuff. All this is, of course, assuming that the players will form a standard RPG party at some point in order to confront some common threat to the university, hehe... ;)

I made a WIP bio. Its on page one.

I like the depth and the amount of hooks I can use to integrate your character with the story. However I think your character needs a good reason to go to Inberlin in particular considering Anitaph is not only across the world, but is the old capital of a fallen empire and boasts the title of "largest city" as is; perhaps your character ran into opposition and fled across the tar sea to evade capture? Inberlin openly accepts refugees and outcasts.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

I did artificer because the GM recommended it to me in order for my story to make sense. Got any other recommendations?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also have a decent wavecraft. But yeah, my character is geared towards making equipment, and possibly vehicles. Out of curiousity could ignition, artifice, wavecraft, and possibly harmony be used together to make a mech? (Ignition to power it, harmony to control it, artifice to build it, wavecraft to make the spells)
Edit: I lied about the lore being done. I'm going to explain a bit more about where her village was and who they were. as well as add an incident that leads to her joining the academy.
Edit 2: Done with the lore, Hopefully acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:10:41 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did artificer because the GM recommended it to me in order for my story to make sense. Got any other recommendations?

I think you ought to think about the kind of archetype you'd have fun playing, and then base your character around that rather than the other way around.

I also have a decent wavecraft. But yeah, my character is geared towards making equipment, and possibly vehicles. Out of curiousity could ignition, artifice, wavecraft, and possibly harmony be used together to make a mech? (Ignition to power it, harmony to control it, artifice to build it, wavecraft to make the spells)
Edit: I lied about the lore being done. I'm going to explain a bit more about where her village was and who they were. as well as add an incident that leads to her joining the academy.
Edit 2: Done with the lore, Hopefully acceptable.
Wavecraft does not make spells directly. It concerns your skill in using wavegears, both in casting them and to capture them, in order to 'program' the wavegear so to speak. That won't stop you from mixing and matching existing spells or combining simple spells into more complicated patterns, but using a wavegear is a bit different than tempestry.

Harmony would require either spirits or other humans to be involved.

A mecha is one of the simpler things you can do, considering that the human body is already a miniature mecha of sorts. Massive tracked vehicles aid in travelling across the tar sea and carrying cargo between continents. Flying vehicles could technically work, but they suffer from navigational issues as the mist obscures the ground when flying up in the sky, and it consumes radio waves so navigation becomes difficult. Solutions to this problem are highly in demand.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Magics (Magic College) (OOC)
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2018, 08:39:09 pm »

Wavecraft does not make spells directly. It concerns your skill in using wavegears, both in casting them and to capture them, in order to 'program' the wavegear so to speak. That won't stop you from mixing and matching existing spells or combining simple spells into more complicated patterns, but using a wavegear is a bit different than tempestry.

Harmony would require either spirits or other humans to be involved.
Even wavegears can be made to fire in sync.
They achieve this through music, a language so fundamental to the human psyche that song, and song alone, can trigger an Engram crystal to give off its signal without direct human intervention.
The Reason Why I thought it might be necessary is what you said earlier. I also thought I might be able to use it to synchronize a persons thoughts to what the mech does.
As for the wavecraft thing, I was planning on making the mech move by coordinating a F**k ton of simple spells. Might also have a defense system that works that way. The other thing I was thinking of doing was loading them with ignition spells, to keep said spells from constantly exhausting the energy near them.

All in all, Thanks for the clarification. And these are just me showing my logic for what I said. I have another question, can Ignition gather energy then send it along? Other than that thanks for answering my many questions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:40:48 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Back from the trip, time to get things finalized.

Still haven't received a sheet from Wunderkatze.

TheBiggerFish and TricMagic haven't finished their sheets.
I don't remember if I ended up sending the PM I think I sent at some point, but I'm not sure I'm going to be capable of finishing the sheet in a reasonable timeframe.  You're welcome to adapt or adopt the concept as an NPC if I don't.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the by, on the subject of flyers, I Think I have a solution to the navigation problem, only question is how to build it and If I can get the spell to work.
My Power armor arms race

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back from the trip, time to get things finalized.

Still haven't received a sheet from Wunderkatze.

TheBiggerFish and TricMagic haven't finished their sheets.
I don't remember if I ended up sending the PM I think I sent at some point, but I'm not sure I'm going to be capable of finishing the sheet in a reasonable timeframe.  You're welcome to adapt or adopt the concept as an NPC if I don't.

You sent the PM after. But thanks for showing interest!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:59:05 am by _DivideByZero_ »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game [Recruiting]
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:32 pm »

I wonder if you could combine ignition and harmony, to make an instrument that plays a composition which triggers engram crystals, and you could probably involve that instrument in your own compositions, which holds great potential for making stuff.
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2018, 02:51:39 pm »

I believe that would be spirit Artificing a spirit to play a composition through programing.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2018, 03:05:01 pm »

I believe that would be spirit Artificing a spirit to play a composition through programing.
I don't quite get what you are saying. You mean I would need to use a spirit?
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2018, 03:12:10 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171563.msg7819247#msg7819247

It's actually in the Artifice Spoiler. Ignition is extremely simple, being a prolonged or quick trigger. But for building something that plays itself and works with harmony, you would need a spirit to harmonize with. Ignition is a burn effect, it uses energy along a specific path.

Technically, you could use either combination, But you would still need a spirit to harmonize with. Self Harmony is not something the GM has said can be done, so far as I've seen.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2018, 03:18:39 pm »

Harmony allows you to get multiple spellcasting beings (humans, spirits) to cast a spell in a synchronized fashion, giving a bonus to each person casting the spell. Also, casting a spell as part of a composition does not consume your one spell per turn, so if you are harmonizing a group you can effectively boost your spells per second.

It helps spirit-based game plans a lot because you can coordinate your spirits, as opposed to letting them do whatever.

But the point is that only "thinking beings," i.e. beings which can cast spells, can participate in a composition. Yes, you can theoretically make a wavegear that fires on its own, but that would not be harmony in its pure form. It would perhaps be an offshoot of wavecraft instead.

Think of it this way: an engineer can program multiple computers to do something in unison, but using music doesn't really help you do that. On the other hand, militaries formerly used music to synchronize people, for tasks such as rowing a boat or marching in unison so people can keep a close formation without tripping.

Spiritseeing is for building spirits. Artificing is for making wavegears and constructs and other objects. Wavecraft is using wavegears and programming them. You could use wavecraft to program wavegears to be triggered by other wavegears, for example.

Ignition could play a role. An ignition is basically a spell that recasts itself, so it lasts longer than normal, like a curse or enchantment. For example you can make enchanted missiles that seek out foes. If you simply tie one of these missiles to the end of a gun, the missile will seek out a target and point the gun at the target.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14