Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21744 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Well, it's more like it's shifting, so the radio forest is starting to die in that spot.

And the Magical Conduit is a booster, designed to amplify the lower signal. So the forest grows with it.

Energy is conserved in the long run. It's possible for the trees to consume energy from the mist, but the mist has a limited energy pool so it's not a viable energy source over long timescales. One might say that the trees themselves are aware of this. But 'amplifying the signal' without an additional source of energy doesn't happen without an outside source of additional energy. You'll have to either consume the mist and run into problems hundreds of years down the line, or ship the power in from some other place. Both of these are viable proposals for this magical conduit.

So if I am interpreting this correctly: the fairies are 'contractors', and young spirits of the forest take residence within the bodies of fairies until they grow more developed. The spirits, while they grow, are able to use the body's nervous system to produce magic, in addition to subsisting off the body's chemical reserves, protecting them from being subsumed or destroyed by greater spirits. Am I accurate?

Hello.
How "human" the character have to be? By that I mean how close to human biology one has to stay?

You can be 100% human, but everything you eat will have small amounts of mist inside of it. Eventually this finds its way into your nervous system, which is what allows humans to command the mist in the first place. Generally most biotic plants and animals, even if your character managed to subsist off those for a whole life, contain these mist particles, so your character is not free from the associated neural adaptations unless your parents/society made a conscious effort about it.

If you are talking about being 100% inhuman, I'm not picky about it. Just be warned that if your biology keeps you from using stairs, breathing the same air as other people, or otherwise interacting with an environment designed by humans, you'll probably need to come up with a justification for why your character is that way, e.g. why parents would want their child to be a giant snail that can't fit through doors. We already have a character with wings, so departures like that are fine. Just take care when assigning your character non-magical abilities, because the focus of the game is magic, and I don't really have any mechanics in mind for in-depth actions that aren't magic or artifice, except for maybe guns.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly Correct, yeah. Fire, Wind, Water, and Earth are the contracts. And other spirits, but those are the main 4.
Of course, everyone can have one main spirit type, and 2 secondary spirit types. Maybe up to 3 tertiary types if they master their main elements. Mine's Wind, to start as my primary, with lightning as a secondary type.

And shipping it in from a fault is the idea of a booster. It comes from one area to the area with the booster.

I suppose it might be better to call it a Relay, but boosting the signal also helps the transfer. I think?

Mostly nailing everything down at this point.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean internally. Externally will look nearly human, but insides fully designed organism.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean internally. Externally will look nearly human, but insides fully designed organism.

I don't think that is very high on the list of potential problems people will come across.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Treents and Druids. Literal Druids. Definitely not an issue.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? Beacuse if someone would made their character more durable(not like made of wood, so stronger, but designed using aeroscience for skeleton(geodetic airframe(wellington)), and overal onionlike structural layering) wouldnt it be unfair to others?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

A lightened skeleton won't make one any better at magic, so hardly.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But overall stronger body designed to soak damage will help survive accidents during magic experiments and learning.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A well-crafted shielding spell will help you even better. In a game of this genre, your physical form doesn't matter all that much, except for the social implications.

Kpkdktswnw2018

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And when magic is out?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then we're all dead, geodetic skeletons or not. Magic is what makes this world tick, so don't worry so much about non-magic things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really? Beacuse if someone would made their character more durable(not like made of wood, so stronger, but designed using aeroscience for skeleton(geodetic airframe(wellington)), and overal onionlike structural layering) wouldnt it be unfair to others?

(Non-rusting) metal is rare, hard to replace, and doesn't heal itself. Just ask yourself why a family would choose to have a metallic skeleton, and what costs they're willing to pay for such a thing, and see if it makes sense. Most of the aluminum, titanium, alloying components, etc, are acquired from raiding the underworld for artifacts and tech. Metal skeletons will require an infrastructure to train people to maintain their own skeletons, and also gather materials for new skeletons. Such a society would probably be long-term thinkers since long-lived individuals will retain said training and can potentially recycle metals.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm guessing they meant a skeleton made of regular bone, but with a structure resembling that of an airplane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm guessing they meant a skeleton made of regular bone, but with a structure resembling that of an airplane.

Ah, that seems like exactly the sort of thing I expected people to write (see what I said about wings being okay). Differences in design philosophy and such are all welcome. Mechanically augmented characters are also still something you will encounter, the key difference being that they require more infrastructure to develop and maintain than other 'designs'.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 03:27:10 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Going to do a pass on everyone's ideas so far.

Supernerd
>Nothing wrong with it, although the amount you get out of the game is probably going to depend on the way you play your character
>I can probably turn the backstory into a subplot at some point
>What sort of magic do you envision this character using? Tempestry and Artifice suggests to me that you'll be crafting things and manipulating them using tempestry. A telekinesis-based skillset, perhaps?

Wunderkatze
>Need you to actually post something before I talk about it

TricMagic
>So far the ideas you posted regarding Contracts and an engineering project by some architect look good.
>Wind and lightning seem like good "starter" magics, fairly easy to comprehend while leaving room for future development on the exact method.
>Looking forward to an official bio for this.

IcyTea31
>Fills an underrepresented role (harmony mage) and great axiom. I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.
>Looks like a bard skillset, albeit not quite as dependent on allies. Your main skills are Harmony, Spirits, and Ignition, which makes me think you are going for a summon and buff-based playstyle. Am I right?

HighEndNoob
>Automatons are a good application of spirit magic.
>There are probably two ways to design them: the first way is with motors and mechanical parts. Spirits can play the role of captain, but in this case since the means of locomotion is within the automaton itself, you could remote control them as well.
>If you use spirits to move them around, the spirits would probably use their telekinesis to do so. They'll be less controllable but you won't have to use a spell to get them to move.
specializing in minimizing risks taken for their side and maximizing risks needed for the opposition
:L

Qassius
>A master wavecaster spec'd into ignition suggests to me that your character will make heavy use of staves/waveguns. Having high wavecraft means that you can probably copy people's spells quite easily for later use ('operating the wavegear in reverse' uses your wavecraft die just like operating it normally)
>Using a wavegear to cast an Ignition will probably need clarification. You roll your Ignition die to copy the ignition into the wavegear--afterward, you use your wavecraft die to cast it. The duration of the ignition is fixed when you copy it, although any modifiers the opponent may have (such as -1 to incoming magic rolls) will subtract from the original Ignition roll for determining the effect on target. So if you try to curse a target with (-5 to Ignition) it will reduce the duration. Noise and distance won't affect it though.

TheBiggerFish
>I'll talk about the radio forest by PM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14