FEKHUGE
- 2 (10%)
I dream of profits because I'm secretly Salviosi
- 4 (20%)
Of Kinetic Sheep
- 11 (55%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: Abbera Thread / 1917 A.C. Cold Season (COMPLETE)  (Read 78780 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WE CAN TRY.

Woohoo, phlebotinum!

Honestly I have you to thank. If I didn't argue with you over the giant moile shield, I would have never said "Hover APC's are better" If I didn't say that, I wouln'dt have spent my walk thinking of how to actually move a hover APC, because no jet engines and propellers would be terrible unlike an aircraft.

I ran through some other du,mb one (Constantly Setting fire behind the APC with napalm and rising the updraft the entire way, Setting off explisive against our ridiculous armour and other such ways) before I ran into that idea. Its stupid enough to work, the best kind of stupid.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The magnets are pointless, what matters is the force that was moving the central magnet. If you apply the force you where applying to the central magnet directly to the weightless vehicle it'll move just the same. If the force you where moving the central magnet with comes from something entirely within the vehicle because of equal and opposite forces the vehicle will not move. If you want something like that you need to exploit the inevitable weirdness that happens at the boundaries of caelium's effects.

Also why wouldn't the propeller work? Make it fully internal, have it draw in air and push it out through pipes in a closed armoured system and you can have a working air pushed hover apc without exposed propellers that should work great.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Votes
Generic Design:
Caelium Gravitational Generator:
-ARA Model-1912S: (2) Doubloon, Jerick
-Use Research Credit (2) Jerick, Doubloon
ARAF Model-1912O "Peeper" Artillery Observation Platform: ()
ARA 1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy armour (4): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Kashyyk, Happerry
-Use Research Credit: (5) Tyrant Leviathan, Doomblade, Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Happerry
---------------
Small Support Weapon:
Iron Rain Mortar:
-ARA 1912ART "Iron Rain": (2) Tyrant Leviathan, Kashyyk
ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun: (5) Frostgiant, Doomblade, Jerick, Doubloon, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll lock votes at 11:00 PM Eastern US, which is in an hour and a half. If you want to make any last minute changes do so now!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Generic Design:
-ARA Model-1912S: (3): Doubloon, Jerick, Doomblade
-Use Research Credit (3)) Jerick, Doubloon, Doomblade
ARA 1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy armour (3): Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Happerry
-Use Research Credit: (4) Tyrant Leviathan, Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Happerry
---------------
Small Support Weapon:
Iron Rain Mortar:
ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun: (5) Frostgiant, Doomblade, Jerick, Doubloon, Happerry
I want a perpetual motion machine, and I want it with a reroll.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tyrant forgot to put his vote in the main line. Fixed
Generic Design:
-ARA Model-1912S: (3): Doubloon, Jerick, Doomblade
-Use Research Credit (3)) Jerick, Doubloon, Doomblade
ARA 1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy armour (4): Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Happerry, Tyrant Leviathan
-Use Research Credit: (4) Tyrant Leviathan, Frostgiant, Kashyyk, Happerry
---------------
Small Support Weapon:
Iron Rain Mortar:

Just to clear it up

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Year 1911 AC (After Colonization) Hot Season, Design Phase

Proposal: ARA Model-1912ARM "Paladin" Superheavy Armor
In the war between Armour and bullet, the armour has lost out due to the sheer amount of weight that is required to defend against a modern rifle round.
Now, through the use of powdered caeluim, added to the metal during forging along with a small generator located at the small of the back, the sue of heavy armour has been reborn.
Caelium powdered plate, when activated with electricity, is greatly reduced in weight allowing a infantry man to carry armor equal or even outclassing a military ship, rending them bullet proof at no cost in endurance.
The breast plate of the Paladin armor is 15-13mm’s thick protecting the vital human organs. The chest is thus relatively bullet proof to most small arms fire. Extending up from the chest plate is a 8mm thick metal Collar that protects the neck from shrapnel.

The arms are protected by thick plating along the back and outside edge. 10 mm’s thick, the inside of the arm is protected by a series of 6mm thick metal bands, connecting to the outside arms thicker armour. The space between the bands are protected by the thick leather undersuit, and ensure the  Wearer has foul mobility, despite the thickness of the hard materiel.
The hands are protected on a wearer by wearer basis, with the wearers trigger hand, unarmored except for thin plates on the back of the hand and the wrist. This is to ensure that the wearer is capable of using our small arms without requiring large modifications to the trigger.
the other hand, if clad in a full metal gauntlets. Protecting it . This gauntlet can be used in close combat, because while lacking weight. It is still very hard metal propelled by the human body.
The legs are similarly protected, with the front, outer edge and inner edge protected from bullets.
The helmet is similar to a knights helm, with two thin slits allowing the wearer to see. The top, sides and facemask are all 5-8mm’s thick depending on the area.
All in all, the paladin amour looks superficial to a suit of knights plate, except much, much thicker.

The electricity to activate the paladins caelium plates is provided by a nikoline-cadmium rechargeable batterys, 12cm tall by 32cm long by 12cm wide. That sits in an armoured recess on the small of the paladins back. This battery is intended to be rechargeable back within our own lines, and every paladin will carry at least one back up battery to swamp out the current one if it begins to die. When the battery is turned on, the wearers will set a timer on their pocket watch, to ensure they do not lose track of time.

Difficulty: Theoretical
Result: 6 (6+3-3) 6 (5+4-3) = Average

It has been a while since the Age of Knights, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't draw inspiration from it. A soldier equipped with Paladin Armor steps into a steel self-supporting (as in it transfers weight through the legs of the exoskeleton to the ground instead of through the user) exoskeletal frame with padding in multiple locations for comfort and is secured to it with leather straps. The frame itself is a series of steel rods and brackets connected at joints and built around a central spine. A hinged mounting bar for the breastplate is locked across the Paladin's chest once strapped in.

Two assistants, or "Squires", are assigned to each Paladin and are tasked with securing the Caelium-powdered plates of armor to the exoskeleton as well as carrying and changing out the battery pack in the back plate. The shaped plates attach to hardpoints on the frame that connect to the wiring running through said frame, encasing the soldier completely in armor. There is also a full helmet with a hinged facemask bearing two eye slits. Altogether the suit weighs about 50 kilograms, but when the battery is connected and power switched on the Powdered Caelium causes the suit to, in a sense, resist the effects of gravity. As a result, the armor acts as though it weighs 15 kilograms. The armor is capable of resisting small arms fire, but is not infallible. Shots can also disconnect the armor plates from their power source and cause them to return to full weight, and although the armor is thick enough to resist a few rifle rounds, the transfer of kinetic energy from the round to the Paladin acts as though the armor was 15kg, not 50kg. The hands are unarmored to allow for fine manipulation. The armored plates consist of a layer of steel with a coating of Powdered Caelium underneath charged via circuitry with a layer of insulation between the wiring and the wearer/the exoskeleton.

The armor on the back over the battery is thinner than the rest of the armor, so Squires are also responsible for covering a Paladin's back while in combat. Each battery lasts about an hour before depleting, so Squires both have watches to keep track of when they need to jump in and replace the battery, as well as insulated gloves to keep themselves safe when handling the batteries.

Also of significant note, Powdered Caelium emits a green-yellow glow when powered. This shows at various points in the armor.

The ARA Model-1912ARM "Paladin" Power costs 7 Ore and 4 Caelium, making it a (NATIONAL EFFORT) for the time being.

We have also learned that Powdered Caelium used as a metal coating will, when powered, glow green-yellow and reduce the pull of gravity on the metal.

----------------

Proposal: ARA Model-1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machine Gun
ARA 1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machinegun:
The Scythe is a heavy machinegun, Water cooled, Designed to fire the same ammunition as the Modea to help ease our logistic chain.
The scythe is a heavy machine gun designed to fire ammunition at a staggering pace and ensure that the enemy must take cover, or be cut down as wheat before the Scythe.
This machine gun is designed to be capable of switching out barrels when the heat from its constant firing has become too much, and begins to melt it.
 It has been designed to operate with a 3 man crew, one loader and one gunner and one Ammo monkey. The scythe is mounted on a heavy tripod to ensure stability during firing.
For transportation, the tripod and the actual scythe itself will be separated and placed in special harnesses. these harnesses both possess a small cealium crystal and a small battery. The caelium decreases how heavy it is to carry the scythe, which put together weights up to 30-50 kg'. The lessened weight allows the scythe to set up in locations that would typically be inaccessible or difficult to reach, as well as allowing the gun crew to retreat and reposition faster than they otherwise could with the heavy machinegun.
The gunner carries the main body of the gun itself when disassembled, the loader carries the tripod and the water that is used to cool the gun and the ammo monkey carries the ammunition and spare barrels, along with a rifle to help defend the machinegun nest from attackers.

Difficulty: Hard
Result: 9 (5+5-1) = Above Average

The Scythe uses the same 7.92x57mm round our Modea is designed for. The barrel is kept from overheating through a water jacket filled with a little under 4 liters of water, and each 3-man crew carries two spare barrels in the rare occasion that the barrel begins to actually overheat. The Scythe is relatively inaccurate, but this is offset by the 600 rpm fire rate with an effective firing range out to 2000 meters when mounted on it's fairly sturdy tripod. The weapon and tripod weigh can be packed into specially designed leather cases with a small purified Caelium Crystal embedded into the bottom. The pure crystals seem to reduce the effective weight of the objects inside the cases while powered by a small battery influenced by the one used in our Paladin powering the crystal from within the case. This makes it extremely easy to maneuver the pieces of the Scythe into places it would normally never reach.

Unfortunately, while these pure crystals are effective in negating the weight of our Scythe, which stands at 65kg with water and tripod, the requirements to nullify a higher weight limit are seemingly exponential, and larger crystals than these seem to be impossible to find naturally and cannot be created in a lab. Attempting to carry a larger weight than a crystal size is rated for will result in shorting out the whole system.

The 7.92x57mm rounds are fed into the Scythe in 80 round belts that can be linked together to provide a steadier rate of fire. While the gunner and loader are occupied the "ammo monkey" is responsible for keeping them safe with a Modea.

The ARA M1912MG "Scythe" Heavy Machine Gun costs 5 Ore and 3 Caelium, making it (VERY EXPENSIVE).

----------------

Once again ARES fails to disappoint us. We plan on training our Paladin, the first large armored step in the next direction of warfare, and deploying him to the Woodlands where he shouldn't be hindered by uneven ground. You, however, get to choose the candidate from our predetermined pool. In game terms, with the recent discussions of culture, I want you to vote on a name for the first Paladin. Include as much fluff about the person as you want. The Scythe also exceeds our expectations for both it's effectiveness and it's new usage of Caelium, and so you gain a Design Credit to use in the Revision Phase. You also have two Revisions to work on. The war looms closer, and we are happy to support your efforts in supporting our efforts.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, We use more caelium on the scythe then I thought we would, More caelium is needed asap.  because if the scyte used that much caelium, an airship would use lots more. Powerded caelium is great, does what it needs to do, and because its a coating that we can apply under the armour it doesn't affect the strength of the metal.
The paladin give Us a lot of experience working with caelium,
We are going to need more cealium as fast as possible along with ore, because with most of our ideas Ore and Caelium will be the biggest resource sinks.
According to paper in discord we will have 4 more resources before hitting the enemy, So I think right now its 1 chemical compound (pust us at 1), 2 Ore, and 1 cealium. Starting with the Cealium. that would make the scythe just expensive.

Aren wagne, for a name?

"Attempting to carry a larger weight than a crystal size is rated for will result in shorting out the whole system." This is an important fact about crystals, doesn't seem like powdered has this problem.

We have a design credit, and two revisions.
Draco revision into the wyvern? (IE shorten the shotgun and reduce the round capacity to lessen the weight and for more maneuverability.)
Revise a better battery? generally useful to do for cealium tech, increases the lifetime on the paladin before replacement.

The design can be used on that generator, unless we want to add a probably expensive-very expensive shield to the armor and for the infantry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:56:28 pm by frostgiant »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile

First, our superarmor Reinheardt ahahaha nice. I like the name.

For the design, I'd like to push through my pistol.

Paladin Name:
Aren Wagner von Blankenbruck: (1) Doubloon
----------
Design:
ARA Model-1912B Semi-Automatic Pistol: )(1) Doubloon

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So we get 4 resources before the fight with Salvios.

Hmm, we don't really need oils or woods very much right now. Our biggest problems seem like they are going to be ore and cealium.

So the majority of our resource allocation should be focused on those considering the amount of armour plating we want to put on our things

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. At present I want to get 1 Caelium and 2 Ore from the Woodlands.

Avanti!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So they have a badly named Cealium resource(learned in discord). well then. Shame I was really hoping for a little more uniqueness then normal (IE we both have things the otherside cannot replicate)

Guys we can design new unique resources. I think our design this turn should be that, even if we don't dedicate nodes to it for a while, get it early for later.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:53:16 pm by frostgiant »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes it seems that way. They have access to our special resource. That means anything unique we could do is something they can match but since they still have their special resource and we don't know anything about it they'll be able to do things we can't copy. This bothers me a great deal. Further more anything they do with can set reactions so if they try something we want to do first and roll low it can make certain things impossible for us and we'll only find out it's impossible after we roll it. Our primary source of strength is now something our enemy can directly effect.

Also apparently we can design resources? I'm curious who here knew about that?

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes it seems that way. They have access to our special resource. That means anything unique we could do is something they can match but since they still have their special resource and we don't know anything about it they'll be able to do things we can't copy. This bothers me a great deal. Further more anything they do with can set reactions so if they try something we want to do first and roll low it can make certain things impossible for us and we'll only find out it's impossible after we roll it. Our primary source of strength is now something our enemy can directly effect.

Yes, quite the problem. Powdered caelium is also now possible for them. A bad roll for their team can affect our designs and vice versa.

I didn't. Given teh limited resource nodes on the island we shouldn't go crazy with it. but designing another one this turn so we have strength unaffected by their poor rolls would be good.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

May a well beat them to it. Let's do the Caelium Science Revision, fellow members of ARES.

Avanti!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 59