Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread (COMPLETE)  (Read 11597 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2018, 08:01:29 am »

Which we HAVE. They want levitation, we want other things that I'm not sure if we have disclosed.

And the ways in which we're trying to use gravity don't necessary collide. It doesn't seem likely that they will, anyway.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2018, 08:06:07 am »

I will say, it's less keeping track of two interpretations and moreso keeping track of one property list with different knowledge levels.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 08:07:25 am »

And given all the shit we wrote up about gravite, it'd have made it pretty unfair for them.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2018, 08:17:26 am »

And given all the shit we wrote up about gravite, it'd have made it pretty unfair for them.
That would explain why we got Caelium instead of gravite: that our primary resource was defined first, and your design turned into it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:40 am »

Yeah. It's actually why I'm against all the guys just trying to brute-force the GM into accepting gravite as it was written; because essentially it really is just Caelium, but better. Hardly unique from a design standpoint and a rather poor show of sportsmanship as well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2018, 10:15:00 am »

I'm not sure Gravite was even better'n what we got.  What we got was Perfect for what I was hoping for!

I'm firmly in the, "The GM did great and play it as it lies" camp.  I can understand if our Perfidious Foe, the Vile Abberations feel a bit miffed about us having the same resource as them, because they fear our might.  But to be fair, I know our primary was detailed as,
Discovered in veins and pockets throughout the island,
Which pretty obvious foreshadowed, you know, it being available to both sides.  Besides, I'm sure we're approaching this from different angles.

~Yami, Mad Genius Scientist.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:24:26 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2018, 10:17:27 am »

I'm firmly in the, "The GM did great and play it as it lies" camp.
(A hollow voice says "so put that in the vooooooooootebox")

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2018, 10:23:13 am »

What, its poor sportsmanship to get what we asked for in an Arms Race? Arms Races are about imagination, and die rolls of course, but mostly imagination. So we know that the enemy made this Caelium stuff, well, that's on the GM. I guess we could offer them either a design credit or the same information about Gravite or I guess any other material we might make, if we choose to change our choices.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2018, 10:23:32 am »

Making Caelium into a base resource doesn’t solve the fact that we don’t want Caelium. Our entire general plan for our future designs makes no use of Caelium, and changing it to do so would just make us way too similar to Abbera — which neithe side wants.

I don’t see why it’s so hard to make Gravite and Caelium two different resources. And if this happens again, it’s still two different resources instead of leaving both sides unhappy.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 10:26:10 am »

Oh, gotcha, I guess I just copy the quote for that?
Quote from: Votebox
What to do about the Caelium/Gravite situation?
I Don't Care: (0)
Leave It As It Is: (4) Maximum Spin, Doomblade, Rockeater, Yami
Replace Salvios's Caelium: (5) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk, Taricus, Jerick, Madman
...With Gravite: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman
...With a Design Credit: (2) Taricus, Jerick
...Either, I'm not a Salvosite: (1) Kashyyk

Ummm, because we do want it.  We specifically asked for it.  Someone else asked for the same thing, only earlier, oh no.  What a shock.  There wasn't this much complaining when I joined back when our primary didn't exactly work as hoped the first time.  I thought it was kinda cool the way we rolled with it and how everything turned out.  I'm kinda disappointed in my team that they're not just doing the same with this.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:33:01 am by Yami »
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2018, 10:27:06 am »

What exactly is the difference of Gravity and Caelium that is making such a uproar?
And if it becomes a regular resource for both of us we need a new “unique” thingy. Because we wanted flying machines first via zero g material, and got it first.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2018, 10:31:04 am »

What exactly is the difference of Gravity and Caelium that is making such a uproar?
And if it becomes a regular resource for both of us we need a new “unique” thingy. Because we wanted flying machines first via zero g material, and got it first.
I don't think Salvios (my side) wants to reveal what Gravite might be meant to do, but suffice to say that it's dissimilar enough that we don't WANT Caelium at all.

EDIT: And in an Arms Race it doesn't matter what you wanted or got first, we can (or should be able) to do the same thing or a very similar thing without being outright punished for it. This decision punishes both sides, though perhaps us more than you.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2018, 10:36:32 am »

Making Caelium into a base resource doesn’t solve the fact that we don’t want Caelium. Our entire general plan for our future designs makes no use of Caelium, and changing it to do so would just make us way too similar to Abbera — which neithe side wants.
I don't understand why you believe this. Caelium can do literally anything Gravite could, if you want it to. In fact, I strongly suspect that Abbera intended it for basically the same things you intend it for.

In fact, let's ask. Abbera people, some of the Salvios people are convinced that Caelium was only intended and only good for "hovercraft" and not, say, "cool sky behemoths". Is this consistent with your understanding of Caelium?

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2018, 10:38:38 am »

So, as someone on the Salvios side, I can say, without spoilers, we got pretty much exactly what we asked for.

Edit:  Wait, really?!  How'd they only get hovercraft outta that description?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:41:09 am by Yami »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2018, 10:45:53 am »

Edit:  Wait, really?!  How'd they only get hovercraft outta that description?
IDEK. I think they only saw as far as "floats a few millimeters off the ground" and stopped reading. cf, for example, Madman's complaint about "how can this work if you bring it to the top of a building, and if you put it on top of a brick tightly attached to it then it would fly off into space as it tries to pull itself the designated distance up off the brick". When it seems obvious to me that it just settles to a certain level *in the gravity well*, possibly due (since its floating is affected by current) to electrical fields induced by the Earth's magnetism or something. And if you tried to lift it higher than that level it would, you know, have a weight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10