Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread (COMPLETE)  (Read 11588 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First I'd like to thank everyone who's helped me come up with this, either directly or indirectly, as well as the GMs of all previous Arms Races, of which most if not all of these rules are some form of.

The Selicate Empire stands on the verge of collapse. A half dozen different political factions have risen up against the ruling family, and it seems like every foreign nation seeks to influence the outcome in some way. Nations across the two major continents are signing accords with one another, and as the struggle in the Selicate Empire worsened the war spilled across borders and soon the two continents of the world were a smattering of various nations on both landmasses divided between two sides: The League of United Nations, and the Central Alliance. This hardly concerns you for now however, as your stories begin on an island stuck between the two continents.

During the colonial days two nations, the Selicate Empire during it's prime to the south, and the Republic of Endicar to the north, settled Harren Island - in an odd coincidence, the explorers from both nations that led the expeditions to the island shared a last name - simultaneously and without knowledge of one another.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Salvios Thread

Abbera Thread

IW Discord Channel

The colony of SALVIOS to the south served as a trade post for the Selicate Empire. Salvios gained independence a scant few years ago when the Selicate Empire relinquished control over some periphery states so as to focus on the brewing civil war. The wealthy merchant families were always seen as leaders of the city anyway, as they were responsible for most of it's prosperity, so there was little debate when they opted to grab official power.

As the world marched closer to war the Salviosi Merchant Lords had hoped to stay out of the conflicts kicking off on the mainlands, perhaps even profit from the whole ordeal. These hopes were dashed when Communist rebels based in the Selicate Empire raided and sabotaged the Salviosi port facilities. The citizens of Salvios were wholly united in their desire to join the Central Alliance and aid the Selicate Empire in stabilizing itself and it's surrounding territories - until representatives from the League of United Nations came forward with damning evidence proving the "Communists" were actually Selicatian Agents tasked with manipulating Salvios into joining their war. Needless to say, this ploy had quite the opposite effect once discovered. Salvios now fights for The League, a collection of nations run by the people or for the people in some way, or so they would have you think. The League wishes to overthrow the old ways, allowing governments based off ideas such as Communism and Democracy to flourish.

When Endicarian explorers came across Harren Island they noted the abundance of game in the northern woods and soon the outpost of ABBERA was a trapper's paradise. The Abberans were run by a Governor chosen by the people and two of his or her chosen associates. Things went well for a while, but the Endicarian people were greedy, and the people of Abbera valued their freedom, so when the mainland began demanding goods such as furs, meats, and the resources beneath the land with no compensation, they had something to say about it. What started off as protests grew into clashes between locals and mainlanders, and eventually blew up into a full-scale fight for independence.

As the Abberans pushed the Endicarian forces off the island the fleets bombarded the harbors and sunk whatever ships were available to the Abberan forces. A day later representatives from the Central Alliance appeared in Abbera having snuck onto the island. They stated that the Central Alliance would recognize Abbera's claim to independence if they joined them. With the seas full of ships from both sides just waiting for the declaration of war, the Abberan Governor opted to join the side that would take them and hopefully keep the enemy from their shores. The Central Alliance is a collection of nations ruled in a more classical fashion, such as Monarchies or Empires, where power grows greatly the closer you get to the top. While it may not always feel great, these methods of rule had brought stability to the world prior to the recent shake-up.

Both sides of the island now prepare for war. The only obstacle is the old Harren Fortress City in the center of the island. Originally an outpost built then abandoned by the Abberans, only to be claimed, fortified, and abandoned in turn by Salvios, the fortress-city became a haven for lowly types from all over the world. With the number of different factions in Harren, it only makes sense that this coming war has caused the city to descend into chaos. Without the ability to field an oceangoing navy for either side, the race to the only crossings (the map only shows one on each side but there are multiple) at the Harren Fortress City is paramount to a successful invasion for both of them. Crossing the river east or west of the city is an option, but it would be difficult to pull off given the state of either navy.
---------------------------

Industrialized Warfare is an Arms Race based in an alternate universe on a planet of humans about to enter their equivalent of our World War I. The AR is contained in a mild Science Fiction setting: as long as you can give a reason why something should work (more than "because it can") then it should be possible. Think something like a cross between evictedSaint's Iron Behemoths and ChiefWaffles' Mad Arms Race in WWI thematically. If you're not sure about the viability of a proposal, you can always ask and I'll let you know if it's at least within the scope of the game, with a little more advice at the start.

You take the role of either a Salviosi or Abberan engineer responsible for designing the weapons of war for your nation. Neither side has any "starting tech" in terms of the game, as both sides will be responsible for filling out their armories throughout the course of the five turns leading up to first contact between the sides. During these first five turns each side will be taking full control of their half of the island leading to Harren itself.

Once the war begins in earnest the team will vote on how to advance, detailed in "Strategy" below.

The first five turns will also have Design and Revision phases that will be different than your standard turn as explained below, though the details to the changes will be posted in the individual thread as the turns go by. Turns are the equivalent of six months in game time, and represent the island's "Hot" and "Cold" Seasons. Below are the rules for the game!

Spoiler: Strategy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Phase (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

This is my first shot at an AR, so while I will try my best to keep from making errors, I'm only human, but  I will aim to rectify my mistakes in a timely manner. If there is anything else I realize I forgot then this post will be updated.

And finally on the topic of updates, I've been getting scheduled at least 50 hours a week at this bowling alley I mechanic for. While small updates like Designs and Revisions are easy enough to do, the Combat Summaries will take some time and effort. This means I'll only have time to post the Combat Reports on the one or two days off I have a week. It's not the worst pace, but I just want everyone to know not to expect anything faster than that for now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:42:42 am by Man of Paper »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Industrialized Warfare: An Arms Race / Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 09:23:53 pm »

Both Iron Behometh and MAD were in the Cold War, also I guess the Southern Side so...

Salivios Ho!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 09:27:07 pm »

Oops, what I meant by that comparison was the freedom of design. You weren't too restricted by "real" science in either of them.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:28:21 pm »

hmm

I'll join Alberra. long live the King(s)!

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »

Glory unto Abbera.

Avanti!

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:39:52 pm »

please GM Master of Paper; join this https://discord.gg/3hDHQQR

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:42:31 pm »

For great Salivios!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 10:49:39 pm »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:44 pm »

Salvios!

Er, as soon as you post the thread for it.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 10:55:39 pm »

It's there, just not with a link. It's still on the first page.

Avanti!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 11:13:45 pm »

Could links to both sides please be added in this thread?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 02:32:31 am »

Salvios has less activity in its thread. So to the merchant republic I go.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:01:52 am »

Yep yep. I'll fix that little oversight. Links to threads included.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 03:19:25 am »

Clarification: our capital starts with 2 Special Resources- does that mean it starts with one type (quantity 2), or two types (quantity one each)?
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 03:56:02 am »

One type with a quantity of two.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10