Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9467 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2018, 12:34:19 pm »

Tripwires probably arn't the best for snow conditions (even if the constant snowfall doesn't set them off, they freeze or become buried, and can move if the snow ever melts). You would think using the explosives directly on the target would be a bit more reliable than trying to send an avalanche at them, or to throw them into a hole. I'm curious how the water traps would work mechanically without being absurdly obvious. You would think the water hole would freeze over given that even thaw conditions are near freezing.

If they wanted to set traps, the would have done it in the place they know people would be. Like alongside the railroad track near the barricade, so we would get hit when we left the cars. They key to a good trap is the same as good real estate: Location, location, location! You have to set them where you know the enemy will go, or they will never be used, and if they are used they won't be used effectively. Since we didn't explode when we stepped off the train, and the second party is planning on invading us, we can probably rule out the enemy using traps. A simple scout or lookout would have the same effect on the hill squad-to prevent flanking- while being much easier to set up and being much less resource intensive.

Edit

Of course the Bandits disagree and I am wrong there :V
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:47:51 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2018, 12:53:36 pm »

Edit

Of course the Bandits disagree and I am wrong there :V

To be fair, they were shoddy, hastily-made, makeshift traps, so you had a fair point there. Probably not the best use of their time, either.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »

But you can use a tiny explosive to set off a big chain reaction. Just like a little hole in the foot can cripple a man trying to survive in the rime.

I think the idea is getting more bang for your buck. It strikes me traps in the Rime won't be super complicated or difficult to use. The trappers would be working with the same limitations as the rest of us. Setting a trap takes valuable time and heat and material. It would save effort to use the Rime itself as a weapon to enhance the effect.

Also frozen enough to look like solid ice, is different than frozen enough to walk on. A dome of thin ice created by say, a light pottery bowl covered in water would freeze instantly but remain dangerous to walk on, no matter whatever you hid under it.

Ninja-Edit: I was a prophet!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »

But you can use a tiny explosive to set off a big chain reaction. Just like a little hole in the foot can cripple a man trying to survive in the rime.

I think the idea is getting more bang for your buck. It strikes me traps in the Rime won't be super complicated or difficult to use. The trappers would be working with the same limitations as the rest of us. Setting a trap takes valuable time and heat and material. It would save effort to use the Rime itself as a weapon to enhance the effect.

Also frozen enough to look like solid ice, is different than frozen enough to walk on. A dome of thin ice created by say, a light pottery bowl covered in water would freeze instantly but remain dangerous to walk on, no matter whatever you hid under it.

Ninja-Edit: I was a prophet!

For all that you could just do the classic "pipe with a bullet and nail in it". If the goal is to kill someone, sure it could do it. If there are more than one person than setting a bunch of traps will just let everyone know traps are everywhere. Usually you should set a trap, wait for it to go off, then ambush the group while they are taking care of whoever got injured.

Quick and dirty traps do make sense. We should pick up the bear trap for food later, if we have time.

Anyway, I am throwing an absurd amount of pluses their way. +2+3+10. I figure that is enough to split in half and still do major damage. Now lets hope that dice keeps throwing high numbers at us :V

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:48 pm »

Ah, now that's a good time to crit.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2018, 01:13:54 pm »

@Digital Heckhound: Btw, in cinematic time, will the gun fight be pretty much decided by the time my labor group gets to the barricades?

I mean to say are bullets still flying at the barricades? In 'game time' it might take a few seconds, even if it takes like a week in real time?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »

@Digital Heckhound: Btw, in cinematic time, will the gun fight be pretty much decided by the time my labor group gets to the barricades?

I mean to say are bullets still flying at the barricades? In 'game time' it might take a few seconds, even if it takes like a week in real time?

The bullets have ceased flying your way in your present moment. I tried to make the rotary opening fire a sort of time-connecting moment for everyone. The gunfight may or may not be over by the time you reach the blockade, but nobody is currently firing your way.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »

Edited my action slightly to point out that the people coming to the train, especially the runners, are carrying picks and shovels and shouldn't be mistaken for bandits.

I can just see it now.

"Ulien: There's loads of 'em! Open fire! Yeeeeeehaw!"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:43 pm »

Lets see. DC 15.

+7X2 vs +15

+7: 1-7 miss. 8-12 graze, 13-17 wounded, 18-19 Severely Wounded, 20 Dead

+15: 1 miss, 2-4 graze, 5-9 wounded, 10-19 Severely Wounded, 20 Dead

+7: 35% miss, 25% graze, 25% wounded, 10% Severely Wounded, 5% dead  Per Target
*Makes Excell chart*
12.25% Miss overall, 17.5% graze, 23.75% wounded, 19.5% Severely Wounded, 27% Dead

+15: 5% miss, 15% graze, 25% wounded, 50% severely wounded, 5% dead.

The way that wounds adding together works, along with how Severely Wounded adding together works, means that Double Shot has a significantly higher chance of fatality, in return for a significantly higher chance of missing. If the goal is disabling a single target, we can consider Severely Wounded "good enough", making it a 55% of disabling v 46.5% of disabling.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2018, 12:00:09 pm »

@DigitalHadesDog: In the interest of promoting discussion while eagerly awaiting the next turn...  :P

I've wondered, do important NPC's have stat blocks and traits like we do? Is there any way to find out about them canon-wise?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2018, 07:32:30 pm »

Anyway, can we get a progress report?

I only bump games I like!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2018, 07:50:15 pm »

bomp indeed

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »

Oh the year was eighteen sevendy
How I wish I was in Stalwart now
A letter from Marrow came to me
From the scummiest men I'd ever seen
God damn them all! I was told
We'd ride the rails for that Inner coal
We'd fire no guns, shed no tears
Now I'm a broken man on a Ossuary pier
The last of Firebeard's Mauradeers.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:47 am »

Surely ballads will bring the GM back! :P

This one seems to be pretty accurate to my character...

Come all you young companions
And listen unto me,
I’ll tell you a story
Of my black destiny.
I did not like my fireside,
I did not like my home;
I had in view far rambling,
So far away did roam.
I bid adieu to loved ones,
To my home I bid farewell,
And landed in the Rime
In the very depths of Hell.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2018, 02:16:24 am »

It’s dead, bub. Sorry to all. I thought I had the time with work ending, but it turned out my ’vacation’ just meant more stuff to do and things to stress about. Now I’m back to work and uni and I’m too drained to keep it going. I’m barely managing one game over on SV as it is. Thanks for giving it a shot anyway and thanks very much for that wonderful poetry!

The story was going to morph into a bit of a murder mystery after this, with later dashes of wilderness survival and moral dilemmas. It would probably not have gone as smoothly and well as I dreamed anyway, so at least this way it can live on forever shiny and gold in our imaginations.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10