Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9464 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2018, 06:07:20 pm »

The issue with removing the barricade is that it allows the baddies to leave with the train if we fail to stop the train attack.

If we fail to stop the train attack we are screwed anyway >_>. It would be easy for them to remove their own barricade if nobody is shooting at them.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:29 pm »

That could be their plan, but if we don't remove the barricade, we're stuck in a standoff.

Channeling Sun Tzu...

1. They stop the train and order their men to pick off anyone working on the barricades.
2. This means the train will respond with a direct attack to try and free the train.
3. Having diverted the trains defenders, a 2nd force of Bandits invades the train.
4. They take control of the train. At this point they can drive it away if the passengers have cleared the tracks (this is probably their idea), or flank the people attacking the hill.

Ideas

~The forces attacking the Hill just have to sit tight and defend. Anyone attacking them is people not defending the train. I think they would be the less experienced bandits, and would consequently be less nimble to adapt.
~So I think they'll also stop firing at the barricade as soon as someone attacks the Hill. Because while they want to encourage an attack to draw off defenders, but they definitely want people doing their work for them so they can made a speedy escape. Otherwise they're stuck along with the people invading the train. I believe the idea is they get the train and everybody runs away.
~The train attackers likely, will wait for the defenders to attack the hill AND for the work on the tracks to begin in earnest.

My idea is a feint attack on the Hill to trigger phase 3 of their plan. Just a short skirmish to clear the barricades as quickly as possible-the men should hit and run. We want to clear the tracks and flee before Phase 3 gets done-could maybe have some sort of signal to get everyone back.

TLDR Engaging the hill bandits in earnest seems a disastrous tactical blunder. They're not a dire threat to us up there. They can kill people, but can't take the train. We only need to distract them long enough to free the tracks, and I'm pretty sure Fiona can encourage it to be done quicker than the bandits would reckon. If they have another group waiting, it'll be the main threat.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:21:10 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2018, 06:29:59 pm »

The Hill probably only has a couple of guys on it. It would be almost as quick to just kill everyone than it would be to fake an attack and run back. If our job is to just distract the hill guys long enough to get the barricade down, we could probably just use suppressive fire from our rifles, or the big gun if we can convince them to use it. Its hard to hit things if you are getting shot at.

But that is less dramatic :V

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »

All the more reason not to bother engaging them very much. If they're not an obvious distraction, they're the stupidest bandits in the whole Rime and we can ignore them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »

It's possible that they set up a quick way to clear the barricade themselves once they take the engine. Maybe just a key support that can be taken out, or dynamite that can be set off from a distance. If the barricade is just there to get the train stopped, and it becomes counterproductive once that's accomplished, they'd want to make sure it can be removed quickly. And they might not want to rely on the captain getting passengers to go remove it.

So, worst case, the bandits on the hill draw the defenders off, another group takes the engine, set off explosives on the barricade killing everyone trying to remove it, and zoom off with the fuel, leaving the rest of us to freeze to death out here~

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2018, 07:02:12 pm »

It's possible that they set up a quick way to clear the barricade themselves once they take the engine. Maybe just a key support that can be taken out, or dynamite that can be set off from a distance. If the barricade is just there to get the train stopped, and it becomes counterproductive once that's accomplished, they'd want to make sure it can be removed quickly. And they might not want to rely on the captain getting passengers to go remove it.

So, worst case, the bandits on the hill draw the defenders off, another group takes the engine, set off explosives on the barricade killing everyone trying to remove it, and zoom off with the fuel, leaving the rest of us to freeze to death out here~

Explosives might damage the tracks, which would make their escape impossible. Its possible they might try, but I don't think they would wanna risk it, if they are smart.

How far away is the hill? How long would it take someone with speed 5 to flank around?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2018, 02:15:48 am »

Speed is irrelevant for distances like this. We’re still in narrative time. It’s maybe two or three hundred metres to the top of the hill, obviously longer for a flanking attempt. Thick snow, wind and bullets will likely slow you down as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2018, 01:51:40 pm »

Bullets will probably slow you down a little more permanently than the other things.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2018, 03:55:25 pm »

Right, so here's the basic plan from all us.

~Some people join the flanking/skirmishing force and go attack the hill.

~Some people stay to defend the train and the workers. Egan is already doing this.

~My character will organize and move the workers when the attack begins.

I think two players on each combat task should be appropriate?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2018, 03:57:55 pm »

I was going to be protecting the train, 'cause fuck the workers 'n that. Specifically the engine.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2018, 05:35:10 pm »

I already volunteered for the hill fight, even if my speed won't help get there >_>

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2018, 08:09:36 am »

Your speed will help you dodge the bullets though. So in a way, it will very much help you get there. :P

Anyway, you should make a bold action to tell the GM if you haven't already, and set up a signal for Fry to lead the workers when the attack begins.

@IronyOwl: Right, which way is your character heading? The GM probably won't be back til monday, but I wanna hammer out our plans in the weekend.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »

I hope you guys plan as well as me. :P This does seem to be a narrative game that rewards planning well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2018, 03:13:51 pm »

The battle plan is the first casualty of contact with the enemy. Therefore I do make plans, but leave them open enough to adaptation. :V

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2018, 03:19:22 pm »

@IronyOwl: Right, which way is your character heading? The GM probably won't be back til monday, but I wanna hammer out our plans in the weekend.
I was gonna stay with the train for close-range doubleshooting and intimidation, but if we've already got two protecting the train I've got no problem accompanying the hill party.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10