Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)  (Read 9458 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (OOC) (Started!)
« on: July 19, 2018, 07:12:12 am »

IC thread here!

You've come to chase the edge of the world, then? Well, you ain't the first, and you ain't gonna be the last. New land keeps coming in every day, keeps lurin' you in, long as the seas keep fallin'. It might be frozen and blasted now, but hold on for a decade and two, hell, you've got yourself some prime Thawed land. But maybe you're after some other dream? You a sixshooter, a gunslinger, come to blast out a life from the barrel of your gun? Did you come to hunt the white bears and the deep crocs, a proper trencher? Or to delve deep into the icy black sea, lookin' for riches beneath the waves? You fleein' something, or chasin' it? Or maybe you've been here all your life... born in the cold and dark or down in the frozen depths themselves?

Well, there's room for all kinds here in the Rime, so long as you remember to keep your fires burnin' an' your belly full. Night in the Rime kills a man without his heat. Reckon the cold might not be the worst of your troubles, though. If the coal bandits, or the beasts, or the Mer don't get you - who's to say your mind's strong enough to take the Rime? Stare long enough into that black ocean, don't know what'll stare right back at you. Will the vast dark frontier break you, like so many - or do you have what it takes to survive? Life's short, cold and unforgivin' for a Rimer... but there's glory and profit to be made here, for the good and the lucky. It's the free frontier; the Wild East, and it's nothing if not a land of opportunity.

Welcome to the Rime. A world far removed from ours, where humanity survives on an expanding stretch of land in the grip of an endless icy black sea. Out on the wild, icy frontier, men and women fight for survival and a place in the sun. The sea level's falling every year, revealing new land to be claimed - but it's land that's bare, frozen and dead. Give a few decades, and the sun will do its inevitable work, warming up the earth, bringing in fresh green growth from the interior. If you can hold on for those few decades, you'll have acres and acres of prime land to pass down to your descendants - a fact that brings thousands and thousands of pioneers in to settle the rim of the world. Others, less keen on tending to the earth, find other employment. Many try their hand at ranching. 'Kelpers', or sea cattle, are raised and butchered in their thousands and thousands by enterprising cattle barons. Oceanic trenches scar the rising land, forming frozen 'rivers' as the waters around them drop away. Trappers and kelp farmers make full use of these trenches and the aquatic life they hold, competing with native beasts such as the terrifying white bear or the cunning trencher croc for the bounty of the waters. Others mine the earth or even venture underwater for prime veins in makeshift cold diving suits. Some come simply to run businesses or make new lives in the scarce frontier towns, trusting in community for survival.

Everywhere, fuel in the form of wood and coal imported from the thawed-down and settled interior is desperately fought over. Temperatures drop to levels too low for humans to survive on Rime nights, and running out of heat is a guaranteed death sentence. Bandits prey on coal trains and stashes of frontier towns. The further one gets from the interior and its railroads, the scarcer fuel is and the harder it is to replace, making sure only the bravest or most foolhardy venture to the very edges of the world.

No rules or laws govern men here. Life is struggle... but it is also opportunity and freedom. This is the Rime, the edge of the world. If you can survive here long enough for Thaw, you can be set for life.

While the land may be barren and almost lifeless, the oceans are not. Though entirely inhospitable to humans - death is almost instant, should one fall into the waters unprotected - the black seas support the Mer; a race of nimble and slender humanoids well-adapted to underwater life. Yet the seas continue to fall, and the Mer, their homes lost to the capricious land, grow ever more aggressive and lost, their settlements left open to the skies and men to destroy. They face the choice of venturing deeper into the ocean - or rising to land, either to attack the world of Man or to join it. With enough water to fill their lungs and to keep their flesh hydrated, a Mer can survive indefinitely on the surface, unbothered by the deathly cold of the weather.

So, in short, it's a western set in an icy frontier - 'Frostpunk' in the sense of aesthetics and themes, nothing to do with the game of the same name. You take the role of gunslingers, explorers, hunters, scholars, con artists and various other inhabitants of the Rime, making new lives in the dark and cold. Danger and opportunity await!

This will be a self-contained 'episode' to start with - something with a set end in mind - as a way to introduce the world and see how the mechanics shape up. The game might continue after that, but I intend there to be at least the one episode (and wouldn't it be something, having a game that actually reaches its end?).

Spoiler: General Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heat and Survival (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Origins (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Traits (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character Apps (click to show/hide)

Player List
1. Stirk - Ronald "Frostbite" McCarthy
2. Egan_BW - Ulien Inervios
3. Dwarmin - Fiona McDougan of Cormwall ('Fry')
4. IronyOwl - Sir Rimelight "The Croc" (Alaric Addington)
5. hector13 - Cormac Hess

Waitlist
1. Persus13 - Albert Tremain
2. Interus - Warren Heath
3. Jerick - Doc James Leary
4. dgr11897 - Falerion ('Octo-Faced Freak', 'Avalanche')
5. crazyabe - 'Jonah'

This is not first-come first-serve! Quality and effort will be rewarded. Feel free to ask whatever questions pop into your head. Rules and mechanics might be fine-tuned as we go along.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:32:26 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: The Rime: a Frostpunk Western RPG (Sign-ups, 0/5!)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:38:58 am »

Interested. I'll make a character later.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:00 pm »

Interesting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Figured if Combat is gonna be lethal, we better have someone who is good at it :V. Was there supposed to be a place to put your Background, or where you saving that for later?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:53:40 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:03 pm »

Was there supposed to be a place to put your Background, or where you saving that for later?

Background goes with Origins! I figured I had enough sections on the app and so rolled the two together. Feel free to write as much as you like - your third Trait will be determined by your background and role, after all!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:52:47 pm »

Rimepunk! I'll be watching this, mull over a character maybe. Good thing I don't have to rush something generic to lock in a spot. :V

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 02:58:54 am »

Care to look at this and tell me if it's okay? Diving suits might be too narrow a category for the Expert trait, but I wasn't sure what else that would fall under.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 03:37:09 am »

@Egan_BW: It’s good! You could have it as Expert (Engineering), though it’s fine as it is too. Your backstory is interesting and compelling, but what’s driving your character now? Vengeance? Trying to start a diving suit business in her father’s footsteps? Caring for her sisters? Just a will to survive with no further aspirations?

@Stirk: Also good. You’ve really caught onto the desperate survivalist nature of the setting. Would you say Frostbite’s heroics in saving the town are known more widely, or is he thought of as just one gunslinger among many?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 04:26:00 am »

Spoiler: Have a fish, man (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:50:59 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 10:36:56 am »

I was called, and so I arrive!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:37:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 11:36:02 am »

@Egan_BW: It’s good! You could have it as Expert (Engineering), though it’s fine as it is too. Your backstory is interesting and compelling, but what’s driving your character now? Vengeance? Trying to start a diving suit business in her father’s footsteps? Caring for her sisters? Just a will to survive with no further aspirations?

@Stirk: Also good. You’ve really caught onto the desperate survivalist nature of the setting. Would you say Frostbite’s heroics in saving the town are known more widely, or is he thought of as just one gunslinger among many?

Probably poorly known, given how slow news from the town would spread even if they told everyone who passed through. Besides, there are probably a dozen guys known as "Frostbite" in the setting, it must get incredibly confusing. "Hey, did you hear that 'Frostbite' guy saved a town from freezing?"  "Really? Good to see that infamous bandit turned his life around."  "No, not that guy."  "You mean the saloon back in town? That was mighty kind of them."  "Not them either"  "You can't mean my grannie's old dog?"  "A new 'Frostbite'. A new one you are now hearing about for the first time."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »

"I heard Frostbite was the one who attacked the town! Wait, which town was it again?

Snowfall?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 12:17:20 pm »

"I heard Frostbite was the one who attacked the town! Wait, which town was it again?

Snowfall?"

"No, it was" *snaps fingers three times* "Frostbite. That's right. It was the town of Frostbite."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 12:38:31 pm »

Spoiler:  Mer-tank (click to show/hide)
well, here is my character, I decided to go with investigation rather than occult whatever, due to investigation still helping me find things out, and put the pieces of what led to my appearance in a pile of blood (presumably) dozens of miles from the nearest mer settlements.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:22:40 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 01:44:00 pm »

Spoiler:  Doc James Leary (click to show/hide)
Well this guy is probably not going to live long.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10