Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404932 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1620 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:49 pm »

This is a time when having decent situational awareness would be a good idea. That is, this isn't a good time to be an Ethral.

Stick to Kara and keep my weapon ready.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
Discordo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have we brought the bore with us? If not, then order Adam to go fetch the bore, since we can't possibly carry all of those boxes there. We thought we were only carrying three.

Remain agreeable but vigilant for now. Maybe make some small talk about the appearance of the messenger or what's new in Goldshore. Be on the lookout for any abnormal behaviour.

Try to identify the leader.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
Discordo:

Time to stall a bit: tell the Corven that we were supposed to pick up just three crates filled with gold, and that we aren't being payed for ferrying this much cargo.

While they're distracted (either by my question or by those of my compatriots), scan the alleged gangsters in detail. Any hidden weapons or diving-enabling artifacts? Do they perhaps have any pieces of paper with them that I can read to text on? Or maybe some sort of identifying marks/objects (eg gang tattoo)?

Also, can I make an educated guess as to what those corpses are, or what kind of diving effect was put on them?

Kara turns her head to look at Adam with one eye for a moment while making an inquisitive gesture with her hand, using her body to try to hide the gesture from the other Corven.
All Adam can manage is to very subtly shake his head from left to right without running the risk of the other Corven noticing him knowing about the gruesome contents of those crates.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
"Hm." Vikkan's whole character could more-or-less be described through 'bore driver', but he's been through enough to notice when things look sketchy.

Try to figure out if the Corven are armed, and if stuff like local news has any indication of just what kind of shady stuff might be pushed onto us.
Follow Adam. Be super protective of them, ready to blast any hostiles with my shotgun.

[4,19]
Kara starts talking, trying to be civil and light in the subject matter. Casually mentioning the Messenger's appearance and spinning standard meaningless yarns about how Goldshore has changed. All used to be maggot fields last time she was here and so on.  And then Adam shouts "THEY'VE GOT MAGIC CORPSES IN THEIR CRATES. THIEVES, RAPSCALLIONS, RAGAMUFFINS!

The Corven gangsters all turn to Adam with narrowing eyes. Finally, one of them speaks, slowly and quietly.

"Listen human, we got paid fine Fathoms to get this cargo. It wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap neither. Your buyer knows whats in them boxes. He got use for them, you see? So why ain't ya just load em on your bore there and takes them home with ya? Makes it easier on us all, right?"

It is very obvious to everyone involved that if the answer is "No" or anything like it, there is going to be trouble. Vikkan whispers to Kara that he thinks the Corven are unarmed, but that might actually be a bad thing. If these guys aren't armed, they've gotta have a backup plan here somewhere, which could be anything from hidden shooters to paid Divers. Aigre cocks the shotgun and tastes the air with a flip of his tongue.

((Since I’m not up to snuff health-wise, I’m going to let you guys handle this rodeo. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite me)
Go through with the surgery. Also buy an eyepatch.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Harm gets off the bore before it heads over to the meeting place. He finds a nice ethral doctor to perform the surgery he needs for the mechanical eye and gets his old eye removed and preserved and the mechanical one put in. He gets a nice eye patch to put over the mechanical one as well.

"Hmm, this book dates back when we were living on the surface, I wonder if..."

Grab a few more books and check whether they're using the same script, pocket them if they do.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
You grab a few of the books and check them. They're all in the same script.

Stick with the team. Try to see whatever it is Ashul is calling out to.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
"Six moons above, a deceptively large pit below. We have been observed. It doesn't seem hostile. At least, not by the standards of this place."

Call out to the person or being AsHul spotted: "Come out. We're not hostile if you aren't. Perhaps we could help one another?"

The shadow flickers out in several other places above and you notice that it seems to be moving through the rooms arrayed along the sides of the pit, ignoring the staircase.  That might be a way to escape the impossible space, perhaps? But if this is some sort of vertical maze, what does that make the shadow?

Peeking into the room with a table, Drett wonders aloud, This place is very interesting. I could spend plenty of time here analyzing. He seems to not notice, nor appear to care that what appears to be the next and likely final guardian has been spotted. After a good look-see, he turns his attention to the kitchen as well.

In that open room with a table, is there anything else there? Anything visible on that table? I'm not going in but I would like to look closer.

Same deal with the upside-down kitchen.

Drett, Doktormoth
Both seem fairly empty, almost like show rooms. They're lovely but sterile and feel like no one has ever actually lived in them.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1621 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:16 pm »

Kara looks at the Corven intently.
"Ah." she intones after a few seconds of processing this.
She shrugs.
"Then why didn't he say so in the first place? Why complicate things? A trade is a trade." she asks with a mix of confusion, frustration and earnest curiosity.
She closes her eyes and shakes her head disapprovingly.
"Really, these humans. It's like they have no idea how to do business. Am I right?" she adds, looking at the Corven and then Adam with a look of frustration in her eyes.
"Always making things more complicated than they have to." she adds with a sigh.

Apologize for Adam's outburst. Complain about that trader making things more complicated than they have to by lying to us and about humans being secretive idiots in general.

Generally be agreeable and try to have the boxes loaded in the bore. Wonder how illegal carrying magic corpses is through the various jurisdictions we'll have to cross.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:13:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: February 06, 2019, 03:11:32 pm »

"How do we know that cargo of yours won't be trouble, either on its own or with the law? At least tell us what we're transporting here so we know we aren't sitting on a ticking time bomb here."

Could you actually give me the info I was looking for in my previous turn? Failing that, scan around for other hidden assailants. Also yadda yadda to the gangsta gangsta, as above. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:17:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1623 on: February 06, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »

"Isn't this still more than we were being paid to transport? Perhaps there was a misunderstanding and some other bore crew is to transport the other cargo?"

Standing by.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: February 06, 2019, 04:00:53 pm »

See what this baby can do! Does it make my vision look different or anything?
Head back to the Bore.

I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1625 on: February 06, 2019, 04:15:02 pm »

"But see? That's the brilliance of this situation. It means we are entitled to ask for even more money."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1626 on: February 06, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »

"Asking for extra money will probably make someone angry with us."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1627 on: February 06, 2019, 04:29:42 pm »

"Yes, but I am angry right now. And having more money will make my happy."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: February 06, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »

"Cat and Mouse. I don't like being the mouse. We should start looking for paths through the rooms, guys. Check any entrances that do not lead to the staircase. See if there are any moon-shapes. Perhaps those will show us the way. Also, watch out for a shadow figure. We might be hunted."

Begin peeking into rooms again. Note any internal exits, and look for moon clues.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: February 07, 2019, 04:31:57 pm »

Join Ashul in peeking into the rooms again. Keep an eye out especially for the shadowy figure and interesting/valuable looking guffins.

Hotfire90

« Reply #1630 on: February 08, 2019, 12:16:02 pm »

"Hey guys, this library is full of books dating back to when we humans lived on the surface, I reckon that the Church would be very interested in recieving a few of them."

Grab as many books as I can carry. Resume following the team.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1631 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:22 pm »

Kara looks at the Corven intently.
"Ah." she intones after a few seconds of processing this.
She shrugs.
"Then why didn't he say so in the first place? Why complicate things? A trade is a trade." she asks with a mix of confusion, frustration and earnest curiosity.
She closes her eyes and shakes her head disapprovingly.
"Really, these humans. It's like they have no idea how to do business. Am I right?" she adds, looking at the Corven and then Adam with a look of frustration in her eyes.
"Always making things more complicated than they have to." she adds with a sigh.

Apologize for Adam's outburst. Complain about that trader making things more complicated than they have to by lying to us and about humans being secretive idiots in general.

Generally be agreeable and try to have the boxes loaded in the bore. Wonder how illegal carrying magic corpses is through the various jurisdictions we'll have to cross.

Kara apologizes for Adam and complains mildly about humans in general, specifically pointing out the trader.  The Corven seem unmoved at first but when you start getting things loaded onto the bore, they seem to relax.

[7] Necromancy, while frowned upon, is generally not illegal so long as one obtains the bodies with the proper consent of the dead or next of kin. Tracking the ownership and legitimacy of so many bodies would be difficult, so most people probably wouldn't bother with it regardless.  So now there's an even bigger question: If this is legal to transport, or at least legal enough, why are they hiding it like this?

"How do we know that cargo of yours won't be trouble, either on its own or with the law? At least tell us what we're transporting here so we know we aren't sitting on a ticking time bomb here."

Could you actually give me the info I was looking for in my previous turn? Failing that, scan around for other hidden assailants. Also yadda yadda to the gangsta gangsta, as above. 

Hey man, you put your speech roll first, and that 1 takes precedence. Next time, look THEN talk~

[20]
You attempt to use your enhanced vision but as you focus in there is a sudden sharp pain in your head, like someone drove a nail into your right temple. You physically stagger to one side and hold your head like you've been hit, gritting your teeth and waiting for the pain to subside. Ouch.

See what this baby can do! Does it make my vision look different or anything?
Head back to the Bore.

You switch the eyepatch to the other eye and look at the world with the mechanical one. It works, so thats good at least. You look around and at first notice nothing different other than that there's a sort of odd blue haze over everything, sort of like things are underwater. [4] As you focus in more, you can start to hear something. Its vague, like distant whispers, and seems to be coming from all around you. You look around and see no source. You notice though that when you look at things, particularly closer things, the voices seem to get clearer.

"Hey guys, this library is full of books dating back to when we humans lived on the surface, I reckon that the Church would be very interested in recieving a few of them."

Grab as many books as I can carry. Resume following the team.
You start carrying 5 books.

Join Ashul in peeking into the rooms again. Keep an eye out especially for the shadowy figure and interesting/valuable looking guffins.

"Cat and Mouse. I don't like being the mouse. We should start looking for paths through the rooms, guys. Check any entrances that do not lead to the staircase. See if there are any moon-shapes. Perhaps those will show us the way. Also, watch out for a shadow figure. We might be hunted."

Begin peeking into rooms again. Note any internal exits, and look for moon clues.

[5][7]
Both of you start looking into rooms and notice two things. First, every room seems to have at least two ways out, or an entrance and an exit to think about it in another way. There is also something else; though there's no moon symbology or anything in the rooms, there is a certain pattern in how they look. Some rooms, like the book room, appear lived in. Others appear like facades, show rooms with no real life to them.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1632 on: February 08, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »

"Pleasure doing business with you." Kara says, making a short bow.
"...say, do you often take such jobs of... procuring hard to find objects? If so, I might have interest in making use of your services. If the price is reasonable, of course."

See if they're up for hire and if they'd be willing to do jobs for us. Morally ambiguous jobs we would prefer not to do ourselves. Try to get their contact info. One can always find a use for friends in low places (golden rule 16).

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: February 08, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »

Oof, Adam is having a bad rollset day right now.

Let's instead try to make an estimate of how much rope we'd need to securely tie up those crates (idea being that if the corpses get restless, they won't be able to burst from the crates easily) and how much it would cost.

Also consider what the church's stand is on necromancy, and how they usually deal with what they view as transgressions.

Oh, and look into getting the bore refueled.

Hey man, you put your speech roll first, and that 1 takes precedence. Next time, look THEN talk~
The idea was to keep them distracted while doing the scanning. Unless you're implying I should have first scanned while standing there slackjawed and then start doing the distractionary talking?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:53:25 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: February 08, 2019, 04:15:42 pm »

Also consider what the church's stand is on necromancy

The church has a complex relationship with the Necromancers, as many of its highest members are rumored to be some form of undead or at least heavily modified and the saints they venerate are effectively intelligent undead in many cases. Still, they stand against the practice of purposefully making yourself undead or intentionally raising the dead in most circumstances.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 231