Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404938 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1605 on: February 01, 2019, 08:20:32 am »

Wiellste grabs Kara's hand with two of her own.

"Thank you Kara, for everything. Literally everything. I'll help you however I can."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1606 on: February 01, 2019, 11:00:57 am »

"Thank you."
Kara couldn't really grab her shoulder to show her affection, so she did the next best thing, lowering her head and gently rubbing the feathery plumage over Wiellste's hand.
"We'll help each other. That's what friends do."
Kara realized that suddenly she didn't care that much about where she was or if people were looking at her. It was good to feel Wiellste's gratitude. It reminded her that she had made the right choice, that her choices were rewarded. She had things she couldn't share with nobody else, not even her diary. The superweapon, her fears over her body, her feelings for Polyantha Ret's actions... Perhaps Wiellste could be the one person she could trust with all this. But all that could wait. For now they had a deal to finish.
"Now, let's go make some money!"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1607 on: February 03, 2019, 01:10:14 pm »

AsHul, welcome back. I did not expect you to return from that direction. Drett says, waving hello absentmindedly. These books are quite interesting... They would be moreso if I could understand them.

Other than books, is there anything else of interest in this room? Maybe something behind the books or the shelves?

Drett, Doktormoth
This room has a writing desk and a few shelves of items but a quick search shows they have nothing interesting other than a stack of paper. It would be valuable, if you could fool people into thinking it was authentic and not diving-made. The most interesting thing is that this room is butting up against several others, all at different angles. A sideways hallway, an upside down kitchen, and some sort of open room with a table in it.

How recovered am I? Is my hand back up to normal, or am I going to be having difficulty with some things?
Are prosthetic eyes a thing, if so, are they common? Would most people understand the concept?
You know what, I’m gonna cut to the chase and go see how much it would cost to get someone to safely remove one of my eyes. I’m going to want to keep the eye by the way, maybe put it in one of those glass bottles in my inventory.

Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
Your hand hurts and they say you shouldn't work it too hard. Your arm is stitched on so you really should not use it for a while unless you want it coming off.  Give it [5] turns to get back to normal.

To safely remove an eye and replace it with the mechanical one would be 50 Fathoms. They guarantee it will go correctly or your money back.

"Thank you, Doctor. I wonder if any of those books focus on the prime denizens of the spheres, or of the particular workings of the Diving process. If oyu find any, or if you find any books of music, please set them aside for me.

Everyone, do not assume that going backward will be the same as going forward. If going forward loops back to the group, going backward could easily scatter us to the Seven Depths. Stay in sight until we've decided how to proceed.

Hmm. If up is not an option, we could try down. I suppose we could tie a rope on one of us and send them down the stairs to see if they reach the bottom , loop around, or disappear. Or we could bypass the stairs and lower the rope to the floor directly."

Examine the sky above. Any hint of a moon up there? Any patterns on the mostly natural floor at the bottom of the shaft? Have a peek in each of the buildings on the loop - anything catch my eye, guardian related, or musical in nature? try not to wander out of sight, if such a thing is even possible.

You look up at the sky, squinting. It looks like just bright light at first but then as your eyes adjust you see a very brightly lit starfield and not one but 6 moons lined up in a row, each in different phases from waxing crescent through to waning crescent.

There are no discernible patterns on the natural floor of the shaft, at least none that appear man made. You can see the pattern of a different sedimentary layer  winding through the floor like a rust colored river through darker stone.

You look around and do notice something. A shadow of movement higher up, someone peeking out from one of the rooms and then hiding again. hmm.

"I'll try not to get split off from you guys. Losing sight of the group in this place probably isn't a good idea."

Give the pile o' books a quick once over for a book that looks like it's about music of some kind. If I find one, grab it.
Make sure I stick to the group. If they move, I move with them.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)
[17] You search through the books quickly but find nothing on music.

Grab a few books at random and read them.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)
[5]
You can't read it, but you do recognize the text. Its an ancient human script, used when they lived on the surface. You have no idea what it says but at least you can identify it as something that someone might be able to translate. They might have info about it at the Ethral Archives. And even if they don't, the Ethral would probably be willing to pay a pretty penny for these.

"Medizin, would you like me to carry those for you?  I will have to drop them if we encounter another guardian, but I can still carry more books than you."

Carry any books that anyone else wants carried, be the packmule.  Continue to keep an eye on Ashul, and don't be afraid to drop the load if he needs a good unconsciousness-causing swat to the head with an encyclopedia.

If nobody complains, choose one the smaller and more trite-looking books and drop it off just off the edge of the staircase to see if it loops around.  Be ready to catch it when it does, if it's not too difficult to do so.

You take all the books that people want to give you, loading yourself down with them, trying to stack them in a way that won't damage them and that you can quickly set down if combat starts.

You grab a book that no one seems interested in and underhand toss it off the edge. You watch it tumble down towards the ground and...keep going for several times longer than you expected. It hits eventually but you can now tell that what looks like the bottom of the pit must be some kind of optical illusion; its much larger and far further down than it appears.

Back home... I didn't expect to come back here so soon. Let's get this over with.

Find a piece of cloth or something I could turn into a hood or similar that could prevent others from recognizing me. Kara would like to avoid bumping into family members or other people who might know her, if possible.

Have I perhaps heard of that warehouse when I was living here? Do I know who runs it? Does it have a bad reputation?

Make my way to the meeting. Try to stay close to cover, preferably in a good vantage point, if it wouldn't make me look too weird.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
"Interesting. This is your home, Kara?"

Continue to follow Kara like a lost puppy.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)
Kara quickly camouflages herself with a dashing hood and mask combo. Difficult to do with the beak but she manages. Thinking about it, the missing arm should probably throw most people off the trail better than the mask even, but hey, whatever.

[Advantage 18,2]
Kara thinks back to what she knows of the warehouses and can only remember that the entire area is somewhat shady. Any sort of industry with a large amount of money moving through it is bound to be at least pretty corrupt. There were rumors of trafficking in less than legal goods, but since the law is so variable place to place its all a pretty gray area.

She  head to the warehouse and are greeted by several corven. She can tell by their dress that they're pretty rich but not RICH rich. Small time rich. Gangster rich.  She gives them the order and they start bringing out large metal crates. A lot of them. Dozens, each at least 4 feet high. Far too many for what is listed on the order. Hmm.

Inspect the permanent diving mechanism a little, can I discern what kind of dive/effect they are using here to protect from the magma's heat?

Either way, go to the warehouse. Scan it with wizard eyes, and if nothing suspicious comes up, go in and tell them what we're here for. Be sure to wear my robes long for now, don't need to advertise my, ah, 'skin condition'.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
Adam follows behind Kara, keeping himself as covered as possible and hanging around in back.

He stares at the docks and tries to work out the mechanism of their cooling as Kara talks. Some kind of combination air suction and cooling he guesses; the docks don't melt but they have to be kept cool for workers so its probably just wrapped around under the walkable sections.

He looks at the crates with his enhanced vision and sees something odd. One crate does indeed contain a large amount of gold. The others contain what look like corpses, but there's something off about them. Some interwoven diving, though his enhanced vision again sees it as shadowy non-existence.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1608 on: February 03, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »

Kara turns her head to look at Adam with one eye for a moment while making an inquisitive gesture with her hand, using her body to try to hide the gesture from the other Corven.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1609 on: February 03, 2019, 01:40:51 pm »

This is a time when having decent situational awareness would be a good idea. That is, this isn't a good time to be an Ethral.

Stick to Kara and keep my weapon ready.

Spoiler: Wiellste? (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 03, 2019, 02:44:11 pm »

Discordo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Time to stall a bit: tell the Corven that we were supposed to pick up just three crates filled with gold, and that we aren't being payed for ferrying this much cargo.

While they're distracted (either by my question or by those of my compatriots), scan the alleged gangsters in detail. Any hidden weapons or diving-enabling artifacts? Do they perhaps have any pieces of paper with them that I can read to text on? Or maybe some sort of identifying marks/objects (eg gang tattoo)?

Also, can I make an educated guess as to what those corpses are, or what kind of diving effect was put on them?

Kara turns her head to look at Adam with one eye for a moment while making an inquisitive gesture with her hand, using her body to try to hide the gesture from the other Corven.
All Adam can manage is to very subtly shake his head from left to right without running the risk of the other Corven noticing him knowing about the gruesome contents of those crates.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:47:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 03, 2019, 02:48:17 pm »

Follow Adam. Be super protective of them, ready to blast any hostiles with my shotgun.

Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: February 03, 2019, 03:32:56 pm »

((Since I’m not up to snuff health-wise, I’m going to let you guys handle this rodeo. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite me)
Go through with the surgery. Also buy an eyepatch.
Spoiler: Harm (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Hotfire90

« Reply #1613 on: February 03, 2019, 03:50:48 pm »

"Hmm, this book dates back when we were living on the surface, I wonder if..."

Grab a few more books and check whether they're using the same script, pocket them if they do.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1614 on: February 03, 2019, 04:04:38 pm »

Discordo:

Have we brought the bore with us? If not, then order Adam to go fetch the bore, since we can't possibly carry all of those boxes there. We thought we were only carrying three.

Remain agreeable but vigilant for now. Maybe make some small talk about the appearance of the messenger or what's new in Goldshore. Be on the lookout for any abnormal behaviour.

Try to identify the leader.

Spoiler: "Kara" the Corven (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:10:21 pm by Parisbre56 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: February 03, 2019, 05:20:58 pm »

"Curious, curious. Should we go down to go up, or go through to get out?"

Do some more examining of the books. Do I notice any alien patterns that might give me additional insight into their nature?

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 03, 2019, 08:18:49 pm »

"Six moons above, a deceptively large pit below. We have been observed. It doesn't seem hostile. At least, not by the standards of this place."

Call out to the person or being AsHul spotted: "Come out. We're not hostile if you aren't. Perhaps we could help one another?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 04, 2019, 05:05:58 pm »

Stick with the team. Try to see whatever it is Ashul is calling out to.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #1618 on: February 05, 2019, 05:59:04 pm »

"Hm." Vikkan's whole character could more-or-less be described through 'bore driver', but he's been through enough to notice when things look sketchy.

Try to figure out if the Corven are armed, and if stuff like local news has any indication of just what kind of shady stuff might be pushed onto us.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: February 06, 2019, 02:38:40 pm »

Peeking into the room with a table, Drett wonders aloud, This place is very interesting. I could spend plenty of time here analyzing. He seems to not notice, nor appear to care that what appears to be the next and likely final guardian has been spotted. After a good look-see, he turns his attention to the kitchen as well.

In that open room with a table, is there anything else there? Anything visible on that table? I'm not going in but I would like to look closer.

Same deal with the upside-down kitchen.

Drett, Doktormoth
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 231