Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 231

Author Topic: DIG: Heresy  (Read 404923 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DIG: CAWtastrophe
« Reply #1590 on: January 31, 2019, 02:32:48 pm »

"I'll try not to get split off from you guys. Losing sight of the group in this place probably isn't a good idea."

Give the pile o' books a quick once over for a book that looks like it's about music of some kind. If I find one, grab it.
Make sure I stick to the group. If they move, I move with them.

Spoiler: Clate (click to show/hide)

Hotfire90

« Reply #1591 on: January 31, 2019, 02:36:10 pm »

Grab a few books at random and read them.
Spoiler: Alex Wells (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 31, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »

"Medizin, would you like me to carry those for you?  I will have to drop them if we encounter another guardian, but I can still carry more books than you."

Carry any books that anyone else wants carried, be the packmule.  Continue to keep an eye on Ashul, and don't be afraid to drop the load if he needs a good unconsciousness-causing swat to the head with an encyclopedia.

If nobody complains, choose one the smaller and more trite-looking books and drop it off just off the edge of the staircase to see if it loops around.  Be ready to catch it when it does, if it's not too difficult to do so.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 31, 2019, 05:50:52 pm »

Inspect the permanent diving mechanism a little, can I discern what kind of dive/effect they are using here to protect from the magma's heat?

Either way, go to the warehouse. Scan it with wizard eyes, and if nothing suspicious comes up, go in and tell them what we're here for. Be sure to wear my robes long for now, don't need to advertise my, ah, 'skin condition'.

Spoiler: Adam Blavatsky Darvaza (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: DIG...
« Reply #1594 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:56 pm »

"How much change would be 'enough' for you? In what way would you need to change? Change can be for good or ill, after all. If you seek some specific change in yourself, go and seek it out. You have a freedom unlike most people in the world. You can travel in the bore, make money in whichever way you want, and you have friends to back you up. Whatever it is that you want, you can seek it. And if you would like to change in some nonspecific way-
Don't. Change will find you, and most likely not for the better. The only thing balancing out your misfortune is your desire to build and improve. Without work to maintain, time makes anything good into dust."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 31, 2019, 11:10:53 pm »

"Medizin, would you like me to carry those for you?  I will have to drop them if we encounter another guardian, but I can still carry more books than you."

Hmm... Drett pauses and ponders a second. How about you find some that appear interesting to you? In return, once I decode the language I may translate them for your benefit.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1596 on: February 01, 2019, 02:28:21 am »

"Yes, I agree. Being with a bore crew was all I ever wanted. It was why I left my home in the first place. Actually owning one with all of you... Despite the way it happened, it's still a dream come true. I wake up every cycle with excitement, thinking about how lucky I am. And I try. I work hard. I have never stopped trying to do more, to find more."
Kara would not normally be so forthcoming with her thoughts. Maybe something about the Ethral was making her feel safer. Or maybe it was merely the fact that speaking about her thoughts and worries made them seem better, less scary, same as when she was writing in her diary.
"The problem is I haven't accomplished all I wanted. I don't have the wealth or experiences I thought I would. I'm not strong or famous or... anything else others might find impressive. I never thought I would be back here with so little to show for my work. I always imagined it more... triumphant. With people having no choice but to accept I did good. Now if anybody sees me..."
She shrugged and walked in silence for a few seconds. She used her arm to pull her clothes closer to her skin, acutely aware of the plainness of both her clothes and her plumage when compared to some of the other Corven around her.
"Silly of a little Corven to have such big dreams, I know."
She turned to look at Wiellste and tried to change her tone to something more cheerful.
"I suppose it's better for Ethral, right? You are encouraged to leave your home and learn more. It's why you've stayed with us, isn't it?"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:43:58 am by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:18 am »

"Well, traveling and learning from the world directly is one form of enlightenment, but it's not the only way there is. An Ethral who stays behind, building and cataloguing and, hmm, reproducing is just as valuable as an Ethral who travels the world. If not more-so. I suppose you might be thinking of the humans, who must go deeper and deeper, seeing with their own eyes what lies in those depths in order to advance in rank. In some ways it is a similar concept, but... more specific."

Wiellste tilts her head back and forth.

"I don't mean to offend, but Corven society is... well, selfish. Always seeking to put yourself at the top, above other people. What Corven do tends to be focused on enriching themselves, and any benefit for others is merely a happy side effect. It works well enough; this city is proof that that sort of 'greed' can still lead to great communal works and harmony. But it is different to Ethral."

She again nervously adjusts her mask.

"...I'm sorry, I don't mean to dismiss your concerns. Your feelings are alien to me, but I can understand them. It's only natural; your biology causes-"

Suddenly Wiellste stops walking and makes a sort of choking sound.

"O-oh. I've said something bad and offensive. Forgive me, I c-can assure you that I didn't mean what I said. P-please forget what I said."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1598 on: February 01, 2019, 04:00:44 am »

"Ha!" Kara caws, more amused than angry.
"Don't worry. I've offended enough Ethral to know that there's a lot of things our races don't know about each other. There's bound to be things we don't agree on. That doesn't mean what you say is bad or that I hate you."
She waved her arm dismissively.
"That said, I hope you realize our society is not as extremely individualistic as some rumors might have you think. There is not much difference between a shared personal interest and the interest of the group, I believe. Just look at the fear those in power have for the collective will of the people, how they strive to remain in their good graces, how the people can pool their wealth to bring down the mightiest of Corven when they stand alone. And not every Corven is the same. There is variance in all people, I'm sure you know. Just like there are Ethral that sell bomb collars to criminals there are Corven who will feed a poor orphan girl."
A few more seconds of silence, thinking about the past.
She clicked her beak and continued.
"Don't you have disagreements between you? What if I was an Ethral and I was saying there are things we should emulate in Corven society?"
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:02:36 am by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: February 01, 2019, 04:48:12 am »

"I-I'd like to change the subject."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1600 on: February 01, 2019, 04:53:08 am »

"Oh. Sorry. I didn't realize-"
Apologizing will get me nowhere.
"Thank you for letting me know. Is there something you wish to talk about?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: February 01, 2019, 05:05:58 am »

"Uh, yes actually. We don't have to talk about it if it makes you uncomfortable, but I wanted to ask you why you saved my life."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1602 on: February 01, 2019, 05:45:00 am »

"Oh! Um... Well, that is..."
Kara looked away awkwardly. She thought silently for a few seconds. She wanted to say she did it for some selfless reason or because that's what heroes do, but that wouldn't be the truth, at least not the full truth.
"To tell you the truth, I can't put the reason I acted the way I acted to words. I didn't have much time to think so I- It just... felt like the right thing to do. I mean, I was already going to turn back time to heal myself so... Letting you die when I had the power to stop it felt wrong. It was an acceptable trade, I think. A bit more of me, for your life back."
She laughed awkwardly, trying to prevent the mood from becoming too serious.
"See? Maybe your were right about us Corven after all. Always thinking in trades."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: February 01, 2019, 06:42:04 am »

"It was a trade. A part of yourself for my life. I was dead. If you had done nothing, I would still be dead now. Anything I see or feel now is because of you. I would have been gone forever, but instead a part of you is gone forever. I... don't know how I can repay you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1604 on: February 01, 2019, 08:07:45 am »

Kara felt extremely awkward. She was about to deny this, to say that Wiellste didn't owe her anything. She tried to think of a logical argument or some parable that would make Wiellste feel that she didn't owe her anything. But that was just impulse, a social norm, a thing people got used to saying to each other without thinking. Saying that would be like saying to Wiellste that either Wiellste's life was worthless or Kara's was and neither of those things was true. Kara certainly didn't feel like a worthless person. And she knew there was value in the Ethral's life, she'd seen how hard Wiellste had tried to help her, she could see her feelings and she knew that what Wiellste needed wasn't some platitude. It was honesty. Honesty of reason and honesty of feelings.

She turned to look at her with determination, both of her eyes focusing on the eyeslits of Wiellste's mask.
"I think I understand your feelings. And I am glad you feel that way. It is normal. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how you can repay me. Your life is worth much to me. And I feel it is worth much to you as well. So it is hard to find one thing that would balance the scales. Instead, I will offer you this:"
Kara extended her taloned hand towards the Ethral, her scaly palm open and waiting.
"Stay with me. Help me. Be my left arm. Be my friend. That is all I ask. And when you feel your debt to me fulfilled, you may do as you wish."
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 231