Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 38140 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2018, 03:58:38 pm »

im having some fun with the game, but perhaps not the fun they intended: like fallout 4, im spending all my time perfecting the ultimate miniCAMP base. ive settled on an L shape shack on a 2x2 foundation. i managed to fit 1 of every crafting station except a power armor station and 4 beds in it. its got internal lighting as well and has 2 rings of turrets on a gantry around the 2nd floor and on the roof. the only thing i can do to perfect it further is to replace the walls with stronger ones and to upgrade the turrets as well.

i find myself not playing the game as much without my friends and have been drifting to modding and playing fallout 4 again.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »

I'm not personally interested in it, but nobody mentioned it so I thought I would. If anyone wanted to try Fallout 76 but didn't like the price, it is already 40% off on the humble store due to poor sale numbers. Something about only selling 20% as much as Fallout 4.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2018, 04:52:29 pm »

im having some fun with the game, but perhaps not the fun they intended: like fallout 4, im spending all my time perfecting the ultimate miniCAMP base.
Oh I 'wasted' a TON of time with testing building stuff, which is a surprise (especially since the building is more annoying than FO4). I studied the Converted Munitions Factory and turned it into a minifortress, locked every door and placed obstacles in front of most entrances. In order for someone to contest it, they would have to shoot my doors/walls, which would then make them Wanted and trigger all the turrets and vertibird on them, while I was waiting inside with power armor and fully upgraded guns...and a huge supply of explosives after my mutie hunting.
I made 500 shotgun shells and 300 .308 bullets while AFKing and working on my PC. A couple people came looking but ran off. I really recommend taking a look at that location.

it is already 40% off on the humble store
Yeah I'm a bit pissed. I thought the Black Friday sales rumor was a meme, but they actually done it. My Fallout hype cost me some..given I bought 2 copies.
Then again, we have been playing non-stop since we got it. And my girlfriend now randomly sings the games soundtrack, puts Youtube on TV playing Fallout videos, and often we discuss builds, strategies or lore ..so it was a tradeoff  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2018, 07:31:30 pm »

Then again, we have been playing non-stop since we got it. And my girlfriend now randomly sings the games soundtrack, puts Youtube on TV playing Fallout videos, and often we discuss builds, strategies or lore ..so it was a tradeoff  :P
How dare you have fun with this obviously unfun wrongbad game!

But seriously, I'm thinking if I eventually want a Fallout 76 experience I'd probably follow a Let's Play video and save myself the cost of admission. I'm a big fan of Bethesda titles, buggy messes that they are, simply for their epic size and wonderful hidden stories within their worlds. I'm not a fan of games where the fun comes from running around shooting guns with other players, and from the looks of this game, there's little that I'd enjoy inside here.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2018, 09:01:10 pm »

Suprisingly I'm also having a fair bit of fun with the game as well. Going to post my username so you guys can add me soon, but it's actually decent fun. All it needs is a map expansion, maybe some reworked mechanics, obviously performance and bug fixes, and other stuff, well, as most tend to go at launch, I really can't say I don't like the game, because I do, but it does have its quirks to where I can see why someone would not..like it, insofar as much as the previous games, so I'd recommend watching a lets play before buying but it can be serious fun!

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2018, 09:13:59 am »

Here's my non hate bandwagon take on Fallout 76

I don't doubt most people can get some fun out of the game. You have to fail on a spectacular level to make a game unfun. Being able to have fun doesn't make a game good, that's just the bare minimum requirement. It's extremely easy to amuse oneself for some time with new stuff, especially with friends. The thing is there's undeniably better, higher quality, cheaper fun out there that won't reward a company for bad practices. Once you remove the novelty factor and the early joy derived from learning new stuff, what's left is not something I can see myself playing over other games I already own and I can get my fill of novelty from other games I know will keep me entertained after the honeymoon period is over.

Here's a simple analogy:
Cheap ramen noodles can be tasty and sate my hunger, but I wouldn't choose to buy them if they costed as much as any other quality meal, even if I was a fan of the brand.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:21:52 am by Ygdrad »

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2018, 09:27:40 am »

The same -33% deal is also on the main fallout 76 website,

https://bethesda.net/en/games/FAOCS1PCBG01BASE

Way to really stick it to the early adopters Bethesda, only nine days after release and they already have it on sale.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2018, 09:43:27 am »

Way to really stick it to the early adopters Bethesda, only nine days after release and they already have it on sale.

Maybe they understand that the current game is not worth the price tag. I don't pity the early adopters who would feel angry about that, besides, what do they care how much other people pay? Can you really blame a company for lowering their prices?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2018, 09:51:14 am »

Maybe they understand that the current game is not worth the price tag. I don't pity the early adopters who would feel angry about that, besides, what do they care how much other people pay? Can you really blame a company for lowering their prices?

Yes, yes you can. Especially if it's only a temporary sale likely meant to pressure people into buying something they didn't originally have enough interest in or to get people who refunded the game to buy it back. They're probably only trying to improve early sales numbers to please the Zenimax stakeholders.

By the way, Bethesda is supposedly now allowing refunds. I'm not sure if one could get a refund in time to get a cheaper copy on sale, but that's definitely an option to consider.
Not sure how credible it is, but here's the source: https://hothardware.com/news/bethesda-refunds-fallout-76-on-pc
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:05:54 am by Ygdrad »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:58 am »

Yeah, I've gotten a few friend random friend requests and it's a system that really needs work on since the message doesn't tell you from who and when you pull up the social menu it seems to list everyone who is or was on the server you were playing on within your time online.

As to the refunds, good, means I no longer have to hear "you're just trying to justify your purchase" argument when I say the game is fun and am enjoying it anymore.  I still hold to the argument that the game is only getting the hate that it is because it's called Fallout, despite being more in spirit with the original games than 3 and 4 have ever been.  It IS kind of funny though seeing all the people hating on it holding up Fallout 3 as some paragon of RPG virtue, then rattling off a series of reasons "why Fallout 76 is bad" and every single point they make besides multiplayer applies to Fallout 3

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2018, 05:47:26 pm »

I'm not a fan of games where the fun comes from running around shooting guns with other players, and from the looks of this game, there's little that I'd enjoy inside here.

Baww! You should watch some streams, because it can still be just like you described:

But seriously, I'm thinking if I eventually want a Fallout 76 experience I'd probably follow a Let's Play video and save myself the cost of admission. I'm a big fan of Bethesda titles, buggy messes that they are, simply for their epic size and wonderful hidden stories within their worlds.

IMO, that's still there, but with a different approach. It still is like that when I'm soloing. Since gf had to focus on university assignments, I've been playing solo and will for a couple of weeks.
The biggest problem and difference with exploration and solo vs previous games, IMO, is that it's not as rewarding or exciting as Skyrim or Fallout 4. In honesty, I waste too much time in the same areas in FO76 until I get bored of them, but it seems the game is designed into being much more rewarding and fun when you are following the main-, side-, events- and daily-quest paths, whereas if you "pick a direction and go" in previous games, you could see some serious shit. Multiple times.

Of course, Fallout 4 mods ruined a lot of things for me, since some of them add a unique items like miniatures, weapons, etc - it really felt like I was scavenging and finding some precious gems that others scavengers didn't care for. FO76 needs a lot more of that, because sometimes you can visit 5 locations, in sequence, that are intended for some quest or event and have no unique "souvenirs" on them.
Crafting and building plans mitigate this a bit, but..you explore a Nuka Cola factory, you'd expect to find something in there to take home with the brand name on it. At least that's what Fallout 4 and its mods got me used to.

When it comes to hidden stories, there are plenty of these to follow, and things to track down and bump into. This guy that owned a Burger store in the pre-war era discovered that the burgers of his successful rival had a funny taste. In his diary logs, he says he followed a truck and discovered the rival was using irradiated components brought from a dump. The logs stop there, what happened to him?
Other guy was contracted to develop a homemade automated mining solution, but couldn't deliver. His failure cost all his life savings, and in the final log he clearly blamed the rich elderly lady across the street. What did he do?

In this sense, it's still Fallout. It reminds me of exploring certain parts of the map in Fo4 that were overtaken with Super Mutants, Raiders and Ferals - everything that possibly tried to settle there, you only get to know and track via logs and environmental storytelling.

So for you I'd say, definitely watch some videos, and maybe see if the sale makes it worth it.  :P

Yeah, I've gotten a few friend random friend requests and it's a system that really needs work on since the message doesn't tell you from who and when you pull up the social menu it seems to list everyone who is or was on the server you were playing on within your time online.
It's super annoying, but I noticed a lot is fixable by closing and reopening the game. Stupid, though.
At least that huge 15GB patch and the last server maintenance they did made my game a lot better and more stable. If they keep like that it's gonna be really good.

Again, you people should post your usernames.  :P
I've been using one of the Fallout Discord to find people to group up with me just to share perk cards and keep the Charisma perks active [15% exp bonus!!]. I bump into them sometimes and fast travel to each other, but since I haven't finished the main quest (or any questline for that matter), I prefer to run alone so I can read and listen to lore at leisure, and I realize most people hate voice chat.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 05:49:23 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2018, 05:17:58 am »

Does anybody know if it is possible to skip the Morgantown Airport main quest? The area is bugged and consequently crashes on me before I can hit any of the quest markers in there, so for the last 5 levels or so I've been living off kill-XP only since this is a "gateway" quest for the rest of the game  ???

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2018, 09:06:07 am »

Does anybody know if it is possible to skip the Morgantown Airport main quest? The area is bugged and consequently crashes on me before I can hit any of the quest markers in there, so for the last 5 levels or so I've been living off kill-XP only since this is a "gateway" quest for the rest of the game  ???

Try the scan and repair option in your launcher and see if that helps fix the issues.  I've seen this suggested for people on both the reddit and the forums who have said they experience similar crashes and it generally seems to fix the issue(assuming you're on PC, dunno if consoles have this option).

Acel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2018, 10:24:20 am »

Hello all !

Where could I get this game at the cheapest price? :) Is it worth getting this game at all? Because i saw some bad reviews on this game.

Thanks

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »

Here you go, the lowest reputable price.

Related, WTF. Roman numerals are dead. Whoever constructed that url killed them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18