Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Fallout 76  (Read 38112 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 76
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2018, 11:46:40 pm »

K E K
I was giggling at that too.  I'm not sure exactly what happened - it seemed like he was out of the game.  Was the voice chat still operating somehow despite the game being closed??  Either way, I love the expression.

The rest of the video's pretty funny though too.  I didn't care about some of the complaints, but some of them are pretty valid.

Honestly, the single one that most bothered me was the lack of push-to-talk.  Very basic feature.
...Though to be fair, neu-Skype removed push-to-talk and they've been "planning" to re-add it for a while.  I think the conclusion is that Skype sucks and so does FO76's hastily-assembled multiplayer.  Particularly if you care about hackers at all, IE if you're not running a private server.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2018, 12:33:27 am »

Lol. Thankfully I didn't take part in the Beta, damn.
And having no push to talk is extremely silly - a lot of headsets let you mute your mic by lifting it or pressing a button. The game also lets you change the voice chat to team-only. So having no push-to-talk is just a nuisanse to players, and I'm pretty sure like 80% of people I bumped into didn't realize their mics were open at all times.

Today I got to mess a bit with the Workshops, I didn't know that was a feature. It's very neat to have something like this,specially if you luck out like I did and found a near completely built/working and defended one. So if you get there first it's free XP and resources until you lose it.
It's bizarre, though, that you lose it instantly if you logout. I get that it's supposed to be a short-term burst thing and focused on those that are online right now, but it's still overall awkward because you have to invest a lot of stuff into making it work, only to instantly lose it all.
Then again, weird, awkward, nonsensical or bizarre design decisions are not lacking here.

And coming from FO4 Horizon and Skyrim Wildcat, I have a second character now 100% focused on melee, and playing melee is probably the only way a veteran player can feel threatened. Of course, at later levels things get crazier, but eh.. for people that faced glowing sea on hardcore, I'm pretty sure making decent use of cover and strafe is enough.

E: To be clear, when rating the game in a 'relative' way (to other similar games) I still don't think dogpiling in a beta and bombing it is warranted. When rating it in an 'absolute' way, of course, they fucked up with a lot of weird/awkward/bizarre/lazy decisions. Hence I'm still sitting in a 6.5 rating, may go 6 if mid and late-game content is dumb.
Still, 10+ hours on it and had no bugs (except poor performance on AMD, which is sooo surprising) and a single disconnect that may have been on my end. My GF has a Nvidia build and no issues yet
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 12:39:42 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2018, 12:43:30 am »

Fucking dragons, huh?
The lack of mods means no, at least for right now. Check back in a year.
End game boss is a skyrim dragon re-skinned as a giant bat.  So can fight a dragon right now.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2018, 01:12:19 am »

But no fucking dragons, yet.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2018, 01:31:02 am »

But no fucking dragons, yet.
Precisely.

When the adult mod comes out and you can seduce the queen scorchbeast, then the game will indeed have fucking dragons.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2018, 03:16:17 am »

So... did they capped the FPS, but didn't fixed FPS = speed problem, and if you have less than perfect FPS you run slower?
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2018, 05:17:00 am »

So... did they capped the FPS, but didn't fixed FPS = speed problem, and if you have less than perfect FPS you run slower?
To be fair, GTA V has this too. It's not quite as extreme, but faster machines will drive faster cars.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2018, 05:42:16 am »

To be fair, GTA V has this too. It's not quite as extreme, but faster machines will drive faster cars.
Just wondered if this works the other way.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:52 am »

Just wondered if this works the other way.
As in, driving faster cars will make your computer faster?

I guess it's true what they say; PC gaming really is one of the most expensive hobbies...

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2018, 08:19:39 am »

I guess it's true what they say; PC gaming really is one of the most expensive hobbies...

That might change.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nvidia screwed the pooch recently. They cut their 10xx line, the new 20xx series has P R O B L E M S, the RTX stuff is currently a bad joke and people just don't want nor need the upgrade. Oh, and AMD can barely keep up.
Then there's the... overall state of things when it comes to games. Feels like a crash is going to happen. People have to be getting tired of paying full price for buggy mid-beta titles, right? "It's 1.0! I promise."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2018, 08:26:25 am »

Well, another component for recent prices has been the advent and popularity of cryptocurrency and the usage of GPU processing power in order to mine sweet, sweet bitcoins.

Since people were "making money" by using the beefiest GPUs they could get, people were willing to pay more for bigger cards with bigger processors. There's apparently a "slump" in cryptocurrency again, but that market is about as volatile as penny stocks so...

And then there are DF players, who would rather invest in a nice CRAY so they can embark on a 4x4 footprint.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2018, 10:17:39 am »

Yes and no. Yes in that having less than perfect FPS still makes you run slower. No in that there still doesn't seem to be a proper FPS cap, so staring at the ground to run faster still works. Basically nothing seems to have changed.

Since people were "making money" by using the beefiest GPUs they could get, people were willing to pay more for bigger cards with bigger processors. There's apparently a "slump" in cryptocurrency again, but that market is about as volatile as penny stocks so...

From what I've heard a lot of cryptocurrency miners are making fire hazards custom equipment/circuits/components to mine cryptocurrency even faster, meaning that the demand for GPUs has slumped. So hopefully the GPU market will correct itself soon and prices will drop. Which is still a problem for Nvidia because capitalism is a thing and investors hate it if targeted profits aren't met no matter how much money is made. But at least it means that the rest of us don't have to worry about demand being driven up by people spending as much electricity as a good-sized country to mine cryptocurrency.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:31 am »

Nvidia screwed the pooch recently. They cut their 10xx line, the new 20xx series has P R O B L E M S, the RTX stuff is currently a bad joke and people just don't want nor need the upgrade. Oh, and AMD can barely keep up.

oh and nvidia doing the new driver nerf old cards, again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFSLro_OXLQ

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2018, 12:28:29 pm »

Yep. If you look at the ground you still run faster because your FPS is higher due to having less shit to (badly) render.

They literally just shoved multiplayer into FO4 without even bothering to fix bugs that were in FO4 at launch. Endgame is literally reskinned dragons. There's no protection from script kiddies. Bases delete on logout. You can't fucking PvP because you do next to no damage without the other party firing back, so either they just run off stimming or they instagib you with their first shots back. This is genuinely appalling on so many levels.

It's FO4 with broken textures, T-posing and invisible enemies, no NPCs, and badly broken multiplayer. This is unironically a 1-2/10 rating, it's a worse and more blatant cash grab than I would expect from EA.

No Man's Sky at launch at least had a playable game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:05 pm »

That is so damned disappointing. The basic principle is something I've been wanting for years: Just a multiplayer Bethesda game. That's it.

How did they screw that up?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18