Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings OOC-Thread  (Read 6155 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings OOC-Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »

Yup both things fit perfectly, write them down as canon.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2018, 03:10:54 pm »

So once the God-King died, the people took up various gods of their neighbours... sounds interesting.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2018, 03:22:06 pm »

Alright, cool. So would the pantheon be a mix of gods from regions surrounding the Old Kingdom, then?
Also, how powerful should religion be?
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:05 pm »

I say fairly powerful, with various temples having their own holdings, and with the King choosing his own patron from among them, and that is where the High Priest (as kingdom's spiritual official that unties various gods) comes in. Or something.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2018, 03:50:10 pm »

I say fairly powerful, with various temples having their own holdings, and with the King choosing his own patron from among them, and that is where the High Priest (as kingdom's spiritual official that unties various gods) comes in. Or something.

Hmm I like it, but what if we went with religion being fairly weak at the moment? With many different temples, they haven't quite found enough common ground to unite and present a powerful front against the nobility.

I'm also totally fine with a fairly powerful religion if that is the route we want to go.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2018, 03:52:48 pm »

I'd say each temple has their own strong sway locally, but I wouldn't say that they are a united body or a strong national front, no. Think rather of ancient Greece - each city and region had their own patrons and temples that everyone knew and respected but people usually dedicated themselves to their patron and temples weren't these super-powerful things like Egyptian temples or Catholic bishops.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 04:05:47 pm »

Okay yeah I like that! With the fall of the dominant monothesitic religion, the people clung to their local gods and customs. I support locally powerful, weaker on a national scale.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:53 pm »

So, perhaps you should edit your latest post to better reflect this lore? If nothing else, change "Temple" to "Temples", since there isn't really a unified 'Temple' entity.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2018, 04:38:45 am »

So.... I guess we invent temples now?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2018, 04:46:12 am »

Temples? Such an antiquated term. Let's call them septs. Stations

Or to be H I P and R A D I C A L call them mosques for no reason at all.

Edit: other suggestions include godhalls, call centres, domes, sanctuaries, delves, dreamtents, and high gazebos.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:55:03 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2018, 05:42:06 am »

Call centres? Are we using prayer wheels to robo-pray to the gods?

Anyway, maybe we should just stick to the generic 'Temples' to refer to them collectively, with different gods having different names for their places of worship.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2018, 06:03:49 am »

I think that is the best solution - each temple will have its own name (grove of X, Oracle of Y, Hall of Z)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:50 am »

Yes, that was the idea with call centres. People request prayers, then priests commune with the gods. Ergo, call centres.

EDIT: Also Ghaz, some of us have been thinking about setting up a discord. It would speed up *a lot* of discussion.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:17:53 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2018, 08:19:49 am »

Since we established avatars of gods existing, what do you think about calling the temples “Houses”? The names could be based off their domain, like House of Life, or after the gods name, like House of Acter or something.

And what if each House has the god’s avatar kept inside? They are bound to the temple structure, and only priests are able to withstand the otherworldliness of the avatar.  The avatar can create miracles, but it reduces their power dramatically and eventually kills them. The avatar returns in a new body after a period of time.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2018, 08:40:02 am »

Hmm. I dunno how I feel about that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9