Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia: Gameover. The Smoke! It's In The Smoke! Was It Worth It?  (Read 91973 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My role only has one modifier.
(I'm not yet on the latest page, will be shortly but...) I'm stating right now that I count two modifiers to my role (and, naturally, claim Town alignment alongside that).

I think balancing dictates how simple or complex modifiers are (I'm making no claims regarding my pre-modded role, merely that Mr Mod will have considered the tuning aspects).

Our Mafia-ally/inventor was very complex and the dead doc also was, even if both mostly avoided this by getting deaded before much of it kicked in. If you don't think you're as complex, maybe you still are, of course.

Tric: your claim re: me is noted, but until I reread I'm not going to say more.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... How many modifiers do you have.{Separate lines, I mean}

No need to say anything else.

Same question to Rgun.
(In response to this...)
Not distinct and separate lines, per modifier, I think I need to now say about my last post. Prefix to role-type.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Right then..

To answer your question, I have 4 One-shot skills. 1 for each night. The one I used last night was the Watcher skill. I was delayed, so I'm waiting to get my result.

As for my other skill, Tracker.
Ah, well, that's not who I was expecting. Assume that you're telling it right (including no involuntarily wrongness).

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My role only has one modifier.
(I'm not yet on the latest page, will be shortly but...) I'm stating right now that I count two modifiers to my role (and, naturally, claim Town alignment alongside that).

I think balancing dictates how simple or complex modifiers are (I'm making no claims regarding my pre-modded role, merely that Mr Mod will have considered the tuning aspects).

Our Mafia-ally/inventor was very complex and the dead doc also was, even if both mostly avoided this by getting deaded before much of it kicked in. If you don't think you're as complex, maybe you still are, of course.

Tric: your claim re: me is noted, but until I reread I'm not going to say more.

"Our"? That sort of sounds like a slip.

What kind of modifier is that? I have sincerely never heard of something like that and a google search shows nothing. What's the full name of the modifier?

Right then..

To answer your question, I have 4 One-shot skills. 1 for each night. The one I used last night was the Watcher skill. I was delayed, so I'm waiting to get my result.

As for my other skill, Tracker.

So you're a JOAT? Miller jack of all trades?

You also claimed gunsmith?

Is that your 3rd or 4th oneshot?
JOATs tend to have multiple one-shot abilities similar to an Inventor. They are also commonly themed around something, just like the dead mafia inventor was themed to counter investigations, probably because scum doesn't have a way to counter them and it would be very powerful seeing that our avaible investigative powers come from a role that works only on odd nights (Me) and a Miller? JOAT with a few oneshots (TricMagic).
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Our"? That sort of sounds like a slip.
Hardly. Our hostile role as distinct from any another game's Mafia-ally/inventor.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Catching up...

Well, this is a pickle.

I am a JOAT.

Therefore identical archetypes are a real thing. Therefore Max Spin could be a second doctor.
Not of itself exculpatory as I've already brought up the possibility of scum doctors.

Is there a second framer too?
It still seems hard to believe, but a little less so than before.
I'd be very surprised to see anyone else claim my more unusual abilities. But I also have a couple that are totally normal.
Tric is openly claiming duplicate powers.

PPE: I'm not sure I'm themed around anything so obvious.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, mafia doctors are a thing. Also mafia lawyers. A Mafia Lawyer-Doctor could be very broken though. JOATs are different because every JOAT gets different abilities and variants. If TricMagic is telling the truth, he seems to be an investigation JOAT. What variant of JOAT are you or what is your theme?
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aad so far, Tric has claimed to have one Tracker oneshot, one Watcher oneshot and one Gunsmith? oneshot. If his fourth oneshot follows the theme, it could probably be a vigkill. I don't see any repeats there, though, unless I'm missing something.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Remember, Random claims a result of "absolutely, definitely Scum, and not a third party like Cult, SK, or Mafia Ally". We know because third parties show up in flavor as "not fully aligned with the Dark Cosmos".

-(snip)-

Wait, what if Random is a 3rd party then? I feel like that's the same as if he was scum...

We seem to have a miscommunication issue. Here you're using the word 'scum' as a synonym for the mafia alignment, whereas I've been using it as a categorical term encompassing everyone town must take out to win - mafia, cult, and SK. Because those have incompatible win conditions with each other as well, 'scum' as I think of it could well be in opposition.

But you're right that it wouldn't make much difference in Max Spin's reaction. It does mean he maybe has to be more careful about making a role claim that would really work, but that's about it.

I think there are several flaws in Spin's proposed proof of career, though. Starting with trusting an outed mafioso how any of us not trying to kill RGU would know that someone had done so and the protection worked.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

A Mafia Lawyer-Doctor could be very broken though.
If I was on the scum side, sure. In that case, it would be two stacked benefits for scum.
Since I'm not, it's doctoring + a caveat.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

Doctor isn’t an OP role that needs balancing though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

That same argument would apply to darkwarlock3, though, and we know he was a doctor with a caveat.

Everything has a caveat in this game, that's why it's Mostly Vanilla.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Mafia Lawyer-Doctor could be very broken though.
If I was on the scum side, sure. In that case, it would be two stacked benefits for scum.
Since I'm not, it's doctoring + a caveat.
Or you're lying and you're actually a mafia Lawyer and thought you could use that as a modifier since it was your scum role name.

A Doctor and a Lawyer would be a powerful scum role. I don't believe there's a second doctor, so maybe Maximum Spin is actually a scum Lawyer.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aad so far, Tric has claimed to have one Tracker oneshot, one Watcher oneshot and one Gunsmith? oneshot. If his fourth oneshot follows the theme, it could probably be a vigkill. I don't see any repeats there, though, unless I'm missing something.

My mistake, I think. The first time through I thought Tric had claimed full cop, duplicating you. He definitely tried to put shade on you for having a cop ability when he is an investigator.

I'm not sure two out of four is exactly a theme, but okay. In that case I'm sort of a practical joker, I guess? Which sounds a bit bad when I first say it but I don't think there's any lasting harm if I cross with investigators. For instance I have a redirect that the target learns to whom they're switched. Annoying but not outright misleading.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

That same argument would apply to darkwarlock3, though, and we know he was a doctor with a caveat.

Everything has a caveat in this game, that's why it's Mostly Vanilla.

Yeah, he was.

At this point we have one confirmed role and two claimed roles that change alignment (Moony the Framer, Tric the Miller, MaxSpin the Lawyer) so it’s kinda getting a bit beyond Mostly Vanila into Bastard territory.

Miller is to keep the alignment cops in check, as is Framer (if they get super lucky, which Moony’d have to being an ally as opposed to actually mafia) so either the mod is a dick (love you) or one/both of MaxSpin/Tric is lying.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 55