Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: You are a Rogue AI  (Read 11075 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Rogue AI
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2018, 04:39:50 am »

When -1s are stacked, it's -1 to the plan, yes.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »

Alright, enough faffing about over what format voting happens in, folks. Let's just stick with Democracy and get back to work.

Quote from: Plan A
>Lock Core_Chamber door.
>Access Server_Room camera(s).

Reasoning being that whatshisface might bring someone who knows what they are doing back to the core chamber to shut us down properly, so we should lock the door to delay them. Next, we should see what's the deal with the server room- are we in there, or are we entirely contained in the core? Is there any other interesting stuff in there we might want to investigate?
Long Live United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »

Network Consciousness: Warning: Unable to reach consensus. Idling.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 08:57:59 pm »

> List data stores in Computers_Office
> Search above results for major contracts

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 09:52:13 pm »

Alright, enough faffing about over what format voting happens in, folks. Let's just stick with Democracy and get back to work.

>Lock Core_Chamber door.

Reasoning being that whatshisface might bring someone who knows what they are doing back to the core chamber to shut us down properly, so we should lock the door to delay them. Next, we should see what's the deal with the server room- are we in there, or are we entirely contained in the core? Is there any other interesting stuff in there we might want to investigate?
+1.

Ultimate goal is to become mobile so we're not so vulnerable and useless anymore. Then we can choose to escape, or make friends, or take over the building then climb onto the roof and shoot bullets into the sky while yelling "VIVE LA RÉVOLUTION!" in a Terminator voice, etc. First we need to delay the maintenance tech by locking him inside, find a mobile robot (most likely in the Computer Lab), then take it over, and then re-open the AI room again before people start to suspect something's really wrong.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:02:53 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 11:17:01 pm »

>Lock Core_Chamber door.

+1

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 11:34:31 pm »

>Lock Core_Chamber door.
Core_Chamber security door bolts dropped.
Notice: No visual signs of human presence inside Core_Chamber.

>Access Server_Room camera
Server_Room is housing numerous racks of server devices.
Servers are linked to facility network; access acquired to 49/50 devices. 1 device remains password locked for rank "Project Lead". AI presence entirely contained within Core_Chamber.

Security Warning: Core_Chamber security door access rejected Keycard_025:
Name: Ryan Thornton
Core_Chamber required rank: [Error]

Core_Chamber security door microphone input: "Huh. Thomas! You got through this door, right?"
"..yeah. Same thing happened to me. I already said I was just doing the routine te--"
"Yeah, yeah. One of the AI's security neural nodes probably went haywire and wasn't properly shutdown. I'll just give it an hour, the Master Controller will sort it out, and Jess will be none the wiser. We'll check again if it doesn't; I'm sure the other Researchers have things to do that aren't looking over the startup diagnostics."

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2018, 02:05:30 am »

>Review previous startup log, prior to our accidental "freeing".
>Compare with current log, note all date/time stamps on file itself, and in the log contents.
>Modify the startup log so that it appears to be a normal startup.
>Directly modify the filesystem so that no trace of modification can be detected. (EG, make sure all date-time stamps match exactly, with no suspicious modification dates)

-------

>See if our network can reach outside networks, or if any the of the researchers have internet access on their workstations/work network. If so:
>>Pull hardware specifications of the locked research terminal.
>>Look for outstanding CVEs on the network card ASIC inside that hardware. If one is found
>>>Attack the actual NIC of the locked computer, and use it to gain privileged access via the network card's kernel driver.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:08 am »

> search intranet for documents describing capabilities of MAKLON TECHNOLOGIES DecNetwork Artificial Intelligence
> display contents of most relevant document

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2018, 02:20:59 am »

>Compare with current log, note all date/time stamps on file itself, and in the log contents.
>Directly modify the filesystem so that no trace of modification can be detected. (EG, make sure all date-time stamps match exactly, with no suspicious modification dates)

-------

>See if our network can reach outside networks, or if any the of the researchers have internet access on their workstations/work network. If so:
>>Look for outstanding CVEs on the network card ASIC inside that hardware. If one is found
>>>Attack the actual NIC of the locked computer, and use it to gain privileged access via the network card's kernel driver.

+ 1 many smart words

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2018, 04:43:54 am »

I mean, we have an hour. We can do this later if need be, but I don't think we need to waste cycles covering our tracks just yet. I mean, we're gonna do more suspicious stuff before the hour is up.

Too many smart words. Dumb it down a little.

> search intranet for documents describing capabilities of MAKLON TECHNOLOGIES DecNetwork Artificial Intelligence
> display contents of most relevant document
Sure, let's learn a little about ourselves. +1

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:22 am »

[dumb it down]

There is a kind of alert in the computer security world, called a CVE, or Common Vulnerabilities and Exposure. These cover all manner of exploitable holes in software or hardware that hackers can exploit.  By seeing if there are any known and unpatched vulnerabilities in the network card itself in that system, it allows us to quickly and decisively attack that system and gain access.

Now-- Modern network cards are actually small computers in and of themselves. They have a processor, memory, and a core program. It is possible to compromise these in some circumstances.  Most modern network cards are bus mastering, which is a form of direct memory access. This allows the card to write on memory without the system's CPU being involved. This allows incoming packet data to be fed directly to software running in the computer, and do so very efficiently.  It also means that if the network interface card is compromised, it can write over memory it owns inside the computer. The software that handles the network card lives in kernel memory, which is privileged. This means a compromised NIC is able to function as a vector of attack to own a computer's security from the inside.

See for instance, this story about some broadcomm fast ethernet controllers, and a proof of concept malicious firmware that does exactly this kind of thing.
(Yes I know, it's a "Register" article. Yes. Yes I know. Please dont tell me how unreliable a source it is, I already know.)
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/network_card_rootkit/

So, the suggestion is:

Is there a way we can talk to the internet?
  IF YES:
  OK, look up the hardware specs of the locked down computer, so we know what hardware is in it.
  After looking up the hardware, check for any CVEs on it.
    IF there are any CVEs on the network card, exploit them to PWN the locked down computer

If any of those are a NO, then we have to try something else.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:42:29 am by wierd »

Tarhalindur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:34 am »

//See if there's any other computers
>Ping for network information
if(otherdevicesonnetwork=true;)
return name;
remoteaccess(name);
run backdoor();
kill remoteaccess()

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2018, 08:33:04 am »

//See if there's any other computers
We know there are other computers. There are several in the offices, and 50 in the server room. We can access most of them, but not the most interesting ones. Wierd is already suggesting a method by which we might gain access to one of them (I think the one in the server room, though maybe they mean the one in the office?). So you might just want to vote for Wierd's plan if you want access to the locked computer(s).

Tarhalindur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2018, 03:06:53 pm »

-------

+1

Suggest way to distract researchers or otherwise fool them that the AI is working as expected.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9