Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Seltsame Insel: Second Wind [Turn 3]  (Read 1581 times)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Seltsame Insel: Second Wind [Turn 3]
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:26:26 pm »

SELTSAME INSEL
Second Wind

Hello. And welcome to Seltsame Insel: Second Wind. These first several turns will be brutal. You are almost certain to lose at least one character in the assault.

In order to secure the beach, you must clear all of the six bunkers, cross two trench lines and silence four 17cm Howitzers.

Recruiting thread is here.

LET THE BLOODBATH BEGIN!

TURN 0

Landing Craft 1

Quote from: Glass
Quote from: PirateJoe

Pvt. Grey and Pvt. Jarvis stand in the front lines of their boat. Many of the men behind them grow sick with the rocking of the boat. The Boatswain’s mate at the helm looks out and yells, “Ground ahead! 40 seconds!”
   Immediately the Unit Commanders (UCs) begin shouting orders to their men. Grey and Jarvis’s UC bellows out, “Hit the beach and take cover. Fire only if necessary. When we make it to the cliff, get up and clear those murder holes.”
   The guns on the cliffs their bass rhythm. *boom boom boom boom*. With the response being [6] *boom boom boom BOOM*. The last shell careened over the back of the craft, strkinig the water just behind the craft. The tiny boat lurches forward, throwing all the men forward then back as the boat rocks violently.
   There is smoke emanating from the engine compartment. The boatswain’s mate was killed by the shrapnel from the shell. This boat will not arrive at the beach. It was apparent to all who saw the smoke that the engine was shredded. One brave US army captain raises his head over the side of the craft. “We’re at the beach!” Someone goes to the control panel where Boats was just sitting and presses the button to lower the ramp.
   [2] As soon as the ramp lowers the guns light up the little boat. [6+2=8][6] Both Grey and Jarvis managed to jump to the sand, sustaining one small scrape and some minor grazes here and there, respectively. Their comrades in the boat, however, aren’t as lucky. Many are killed in the first six to seven seconds. Including several of the UCs.

Spoiler: Glass (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PirateJoe (click to show/hide)

Landing Craft 2

Quote from: Kashyyk
Quote from: RAM

The little boat rocks gently as it approaches shore. It’s been a long hard journey. Last night everyone partied, so they’re sicker than dogs, now. 2LT Jones and Pvt. Ivanovo are in the first three rows. Similar events happen to the first landing craft. Until the guns on the cliff.
   The guns go off, the shells land scattered, one hitting just behind LC1. [3] LC2 is missed, but just barely. The third round tore through the sea, hitting only the seabed and heaving a whole helping of water up and onto the soldiers in LC2.
   The craft lands and the doors open to [3] some rather inaccurate fire from the scattered nazis on the clifftop. [3] 2Lt. Jones hunkers down behind the opening mechanism of the door. [6] Pvt. Ivanovo runs out with an ecstatic “URRAH!” Taking a bullet to the arm in her mad dash for forward cover. Then the machineguns turn their eyes to the second craft.
   The zipping of rounds as they pass through the air is incredible. If it weren’t for the little bits of flesh, specks of blood, and brain matter, it’d be an almost surreal experience. Several of the men in the boat are already dead, with more dying every second that passes.

Spoiler: Kashyyk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: RAM (click to show/hide)

Landing Craft 3

Quote from: wertyzerty

As with the other LC, LC3 is full of sick men and 2Lt Smith. The guns rattle off with one hitting just behind LC1, one hitting close to LC2, one hitting the ocean, and the last [6] Hitting just in front of the craft, tearing the door off.
   The craft lands, sending several soldiers face first to the sand. [6] The guns don’t immediately turn on the men as they charge up the beach. But, when they do, they catch half the brigade with their pants down. 2Lt Smith [5] manages to find solid cover behind three tank traps and a small dune.

Spoiler: wertyzerty (click to show/hide)

*2Lt.=Second Lieutenant

End Turn 0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:00:48 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Seltsame Insel: Second Wind [Turn 0]
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:33:40 pm »

Get to cover and try to overcome the pain.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:14:06 pm »

Sprint to the nearest piece of solid cover, get behind it and start setting up thr Boys Rifle

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:19:06 pm »

"Ah hell, I knew today was gonna be a bad day." William said before looking for any tank traps or some other kind of cover up ahead to take. He thought that it would be best to get into someplace safe, rest, and then move up again, preferably when the guns where firing at someone else...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:41:43 pm »

I am not sure if I actually reached cover or was stopped. No, wait, I must be in cover because I am alive...
Ivanova shoots blindly at the enemy defences with one hand while running for cover.
Ivanova attempts to self-treat with a medkit while chewing on her gun-strap to dull the pain.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 01:12:01 pm »

Set up the Vickers machine gun on top of the dune, while calling in an airstrike so I don't get shot at.

What's a tank trap?

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 04:49:53 pm »

((Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for wertyzerty to post an action. In the future, I will put characters who are absent for more than two days in stasis until they post.))

TURN 1

[size=14]Landing Craft 1[/size]

Get to cover and try to overcome the pain.
Look for any tank traps or some other kind of cover up ahead to take. He thought that it would be best to get into someplace safe, rest, and then move up again, preferably when the guns were firing at someone else...

[6-1=5] Pvt. Grey makes a dash for cover. He sprints to a crater as the guns bear down on him. The sand around him splashes up in little puffs as he dances to his cover. He dives at the last second as a round hits the sand right where he was just at.
   Looking at the crater, now, he sees that the back wall of it is a solid rock. There’s a dead guy on the far side. His gun is in splinters and his equipment was shredded. He looked to have had a radio.

Pvt. Jarvis scans the battlefield for suitable cover. [1-1=0] He doesn’t spot any cover whatsoever that would protect him from the machineguns. So he continues to lie down to keep himself small. [2] The gunners spot and fire at him. Pvt. Jarvis takes four bullets, one to the chest, two to the gut and one in his left arm. The blood spurts from his arm, but oozes from the other wounds. He rolls around in the sand, quickly loosing blood.

[size=14]Landing Craft 2[/size]

Sprint to the nearest piece of solid cover, get behind it and start setting up the Boys Rifle.
I am not sure if I actually reached cover or was stopped. No, wait, I must be in cover because I am alive...
Ivanova shoots blindly at the enemy defences with one hand while running for cover.
Ivanova attempts to self-treat with a medkit while chewing on her gun-strap to dull the pain.

((I’m gonna say that you made it to cover, but took a bullet in the process.))

[5] 2Lt. Jones seizes the first opportunity granted him by the guns focusing elsewhere. He sprints to where two tank traps meet above a washout from an artillery blast. He undoes the bipod on the Boys AT Rifle, setting it up with a good view of the bunker. [3] The gunners see Jones setting up and begin firing, however, they can’t see to hit him. He is SUPPRESSED, however.

[2] Continuing her mad dash, Pvt. Ivanovo fires her AVS blindly. She misses the cliff, entirely and then accidentally shoots herself in the foot. [1] Taking notice of the wounded Russian soldier on her charge up the beach, the gunners take aim and fire. Pvt. Ivanovo is shredded. She takes six rounds to the chest, two to the head and countless others to her extremities. It was brutal. She was dead long before she hit the sand.

-11c

You have been killed in action, comrade. Respawn?

Landing Craft 3

Set up the Vickers machine gun on top of the dune, while calling in an airstrike so I don't get shot at.

What's a tank trap?

((A tank trap is the spiky thing you see in video games with three prongs. Look it up on google. They have several variants, but I’m talking about the hedgehogs.)

[4] 2Lt. Smith manages to drag his machine gun with his crew to the tank traps he’d hidden behind. They got the gun set up and ready to fire. Smith calls artillery on the enemy position [3], but messes up the estimate on the range and sends the artillery to an underpopulated part of the beach. The gunners see Smith and his crew. [3] The bullets either miss or are deflected by the shield on the gun. They are now suppressed.

Credits Remaining this Mission: 9964c

End Turn 1
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seltsame Insel: Second Wind [Turn 1]
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:02:01 pm »

Get a quick look at where our opponents are and radio in any particularly large concentrations of them.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »

With the Boys Rifle steadied on it's bipod, 2LT Jones starts sniping the gunners who are attempting to suppress him.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 05:32:48 pm »

Yes yes, respawn please...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:09 pm »

Letting out a scream in pain, William stayed fairly still in the ground, trying to look like one of the most likely many corpses on the battle field at the moment. Although, he would try to do what he could to stop his bleeding, and hope that someone, anyone would help patch him up, though at the moment, he was fairly certain he was going to die and thought about his life choices...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 12:30:12 pm »

With a better estimate of the other gunners call in a shelling on them. While they are distracted try again to shoot them.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:35:42 pm »

TURN 2

[size=14]Landing Craft 1[/size]

Get a quick look at where our opponents are and radio in any particularly large concentrations of them.

Peering over his cover, Pvt. Grey [1] not only doesn’t see anything, but instead is seen by a sniper on the cliff face. The sniper fires, [2+2=4] striking the rock about four feet next to Pvt. Grey.

Letting out a scream in pain, William stayed fairly still in the ground, trying to look like one of the most likely many corpses on the battle field at the moment. Although, he would try to do what he could to stop his bleeding, and hope that someone, anyone would help patch him up, though at the moment, he was fairly certain he was going to die and thought about his life choices...

Pvt.  Jarvis lays there screaming at the pain radiating from his multiple bullet wounds. He lays as still as possible as he tries to stem the bleeding. [1] Without a medkit, Pvt. Jarvis’s attempts to stop himself from bleeding out are halted by his shaking hands. He accidentally knicks an artery, sending blood spurting across the sand nearby, essentially dooming this soldier if nothing happened soon to stop it. His only hope was that a medic from his company would hear him and come running. [4] Luckily, a lone medic from five squads back hears Jarvis and comes running.  He manages to stop the worst of the bleeding, as well as patching one of his other smaller bullet wounds before running off to save another life.

[size=14]Landing Craft 2[/size]

With the Boys Rifle steadied on it's bipod, 2LT Jones starts sniping the gunners who are attempting to suppress him.

2Lt Jones, having set up to fire, takes aim with his large anti-tank rifle. He looks at the gunner that is currently keeping him down. It’s the third to the north. He breathes deeply through his nose and out his mouth preparing for the shot. [6-2+1+1=6] Firing, he hits the gunner in the head. The bullet passes through delivering its kinetic energy in just such a way as to be refracted to the loader’s chest. It passes through the loader and hits an ammo box, causing it to explode. The resulting explosion brings down the wall in front of ten nazis, each with their weapons in hand.
   They begin firing, some at the others on the beach, three at 2Lt. Jones. [4] The bullets hit the sand as Jones works the bolt back, cycling the round out and chambering the new one.

-30c

Yes yes, respawn please...

Pvt. Ivanovo makes her run from the boat. [4] She finds decent cover behind a tank trap.

Landing Craft 3

With a better estimate of the other gunners call in a shelling on them. While they are distracted try again to shoot them.

2Lt. Smith tries again to call in artillery. [1] He radios in his own position on accident. The USS Missouri turns her turrets to the marked position and fires three salvoes. [3] The first three hit another unpopulated area of coastline. [1] The second one hits right on target, killing 2Lt. Smith immediately. [4] The fourth misses and hits just below the northmost bunker, killing the gunner.

You are dead. Respawn?

Two bunkers momentarily silenced. The northmost one will resume firing momentarily. The third from the north will take two turns to resume firing.

Credits Remaining this Mission: 9949c

End Turn 2
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:08:58 pm by Sosoku234 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:22 pm »

Peering over his cover, Pvt. Grey [1] not only doesn’t see anything, but instead is seen by a sniper on the cliff face. The sniper fires, [2] striking Pvt. Grey’s radio. The damned thing shoots sparks and appears to have a fire on the inside. Feeling lucky he didn’t just die, Pvt. Grey sinks back to the ground.
Name: Jackson Grey
[...]
Always Moving - +2 against getting hit, -1 to any ranged (more than a couple meters) attack.
*ahem*

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 07:47:57 pm »

Ivanova Takes advantage of the lull to shoot at one of the still-active gunners, trying to hit the gun.
[2] striking Pvt. Grey’s radio
+2 against getting hit
But it didn't hit him?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:52:01 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3