Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: Ägashfamthut, "Bandithorses," Where we steal everything and die to caves  (Read 63421 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good FPS may be attributed to a relatively small map. We also haven't discovered caverns - they usually lead to some FPS drops.

I really glad to know that Tomb Raider is alive! I feel a bit jealous that he didn't come back to us, but doing illegal stuff in a forest retreat fits a grave robber pretty well, I guess.

My embark is 4x4 and I've never bothered with the caverns. Guess I'm just unlucky, or my fortress designs tax the game. Who knows.

And yeah, it's a shame he didn't return. Maybe he'll come back to the fortress someday, by some miracle.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yet another OOC in spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Summer is shaping up to be a season to remember.

Log 2
The Summer Months

As if on queue, this beast reared its ugly head at the southern most part of our lands, just after spring's end. The barracks are still unfinished, leaving a direct path inside. I've been forced to move the military to face the creature out in the open, lest it get in and burn everything to the ground.

That billow of smoke in the middle is where the creature is at. Some of our civilians got caught up in the fighting, and the poor soul to the left is one of our marksdwarves.

Aaaand...
The bird is dead, and not a single casualty. A little disappointing of a fight, but Bandithorses lives another day at least, though its forest does not.

There's little that I can do to stop the burning, so while the fire rages, I figure I should go over some of the less notable matters.
The raid I began last season went swimmingly and our swordsmen returned with a plethora of different animals.

Wolves are the most exciting thing that was stolen. One of them already took it upon itself to fight off the titan, so I figure that the slight effort it was to get them will be made up for swiftly.
I commissioned a display to be made to store the beast's corpse in as well. It may be a bit macabre of a display, but I feel such a momentous victory is worth some commemoration. Though I'm having trouble finding the beast's corpse in the long list of the slain...

Aside from that, there's little else t-

Curse them indeed. The elves come again, this time with a vast score of men and beast alike. 20 or more elves, with just as many or more war grizzly bears. The barracks are still wide open, leaving me no choice but to face them in the field. May the gods shine upon us this day.

Fourth of Hematite, 144

The battle is won, but at a great cost. Nearly half of our military was cut down in the fighting, and the rest have been wounded, myself included.
Wags, Mottledpetrel, and Hun are among the dead.

With the loss of so many of my men fresh in my mind, I've decided to seal off the barracks' in-fort entrance until further notice. Construction will continue, but the risk is too high to keep it open. I regret not having done that in the first place. I'm not a man keen on foresight, unfortunately.

On top of grievous injury and death, many of our citizens have begun mourning.

There is a bright side, at least. The injuries sustained by myself and my comrades are not mounting. They will need time to heal, as will I, no doubt, but crippled they are not. Bandithorses lives yet another day, for better or for worse.

I'll begin building tombs as soon as I can. Wags, MottledPetrel, and Hun will receive the grandest of them all. There are two artifact caskets on hand, and I'll be giving them to Hun and Wags. To make up for Mottled's lack of a splendorous coffin, I'll put one of our more valuable artifacts in his tomb instead.

With our military in a sorry state, I've recruited some new members to my squad, Guys with Big sticks. Pikachu17 and a random fisherdwarf are our new recruits.
I noticed when looking at our main squad that our fighters are told to pick up whichever weapon they want. This seems like a bit of an impracticality to me, so I'm going to arm them all with swords to speed up training.
I'll be creating a new squad of spearmen as our main infantry/band of raiders as well. As captain of the guard (or gourd, according to one of my predecessors), I feel it's my duty to stay in defense of the fortress, so it would be best to have someone else leading the charge off fortress soil.

In other news, it looks like during my time out of commission, MrLurkety has withdrawn from society and claimed a craftdwarfs workshop.

No snags have been hit in his efforts, so I figure construction will be done before summer concludes.

The final stages of barracks construction are well underway too. All that's needed now are some armor stands and archery targets, and finishing touches on the roofing.

I'll give a breakdown of each layer once it's completely finished.

And our brewer delivers, just in the nick of time.

Not terribly impressive, at least as far as artifacts go, but it should make for an alright addition to our collection.

And with that...

and this...

Summer has wound neatly to a close. Most of our soldiers are back in fine health (myself included), and our newest band of warriors are training hard and well. Come year's end, by my estimation at least, we'll have our military armed in full and in fine fighting shape.
But all of that's some time away, and with autumn here already, it's time to conclude this log. Summer has been a trying season, and if its events are anything to go by, the fall months may be just as much of a struggle.

But let us hope that it won't be.

I bid you all farewell on that note. Wish me luck yet again, if you'd be so kind. I have a feeling I'll be needing much more of it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

Did the pointy sticks actually stealthily steal, or did were they unstealthy in their raid?

Also, do we have any of the following;
Quantum Stockpile;
Atom Smasher.
A museum.
A tavern.
A temple(or temples) to all gods.
A library to store books, possibly with the museum inside.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did the pointy sticks actually stealthily steal, or did were they unstealthy in their raid?

Quantum Stockpile;
Atom Smasher.
A museum.
A tavern.

We have a temple and a museum is something I'll start on this season. Taverns might not be great to have imo, since dwarves tend to get so drunk they kill themselves/each other.

70% of my time in this game is in adventure mode, so I unfortunately have no idea what a quantum stockpile is, or how to make one. Atom smashers are something I've heard of, but don't know how to make either. I'll get on it though if someone can break down how to do it. If not, I'll try the wiki.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile

it is a draw bridge trap that makes things stop existing  :)
eg what it says on the tin
a quantum stock pile is a stockpile that is 1x1 that can 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:02:13 pm by Lunardog15 »
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wags, Mottledpetrel, and Hun are among the dead.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Well, I guess it is my personal payment for attacking that elven tomb during my turn, after all.

It is sad though that our rangers (apparently) were forced to participate in a melee fight... The set up of defence is quite straightforward: switch civilians AND both squads to "Marksmen in hall", raise at least one of two trade depot bridges, and that's it. Everyone would take correct positions for defence.

Quantum Stockpile;
Atom Smasher.
A museum.
A tavern.

I made quantum stockpiles for ore, stone and wood during my turn. We also had tavern and temple, fully functional.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quantum Stockpile;
Atom Smasher.
A museum.
A tavern.

Forgot to reply to the first part. Yeah, they went full stealth, right under the elves' noses.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok! So, I just got asked this by our liaison, and I'm not how to proceed. Should I wait? Or should I accept their offer? And if I do accept, who do you guys want me to appoint?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

And if I do accept, who do you guys want me to appoint?
Me!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And if I do accept, who do you guys want me to appoint?
I should get it because I have some rabbits.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'm gonna wait until next time around to join the mountain homes, since only a couple of people have thrown in their name. I'd prefer not to appoint someone until their's a consensus on who should be baron, and that might take some time. Sorry!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile

Hey! Sorry for being so inactive lately. Been a bit distracted, with the local volcano exploding and all that.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile

oh sorry bout that i don't think I would LAVA it either if that happened (sorry for the pun) but really i'm really sorry for you
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love how Tomb raider has got his own side story going on whilst our fortress is being besieged by elves.

Whats the status of all our name dorfs?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28