Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3096366 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6015 on: September 29, 2024, 07:09:45 am »

Thanks for the answers, Toady One!

Good luck with whatever you have going on on the 1st!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: September 29, 2024, 08:08:26 am »

Apparently I've been misgendering Putnam for 10 years

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: September 29, 2024, 10:06:51 am »

Thanks for the answers

Am i to understand that lua scripting will completely supplant the current interaction format, or is it being implemented to allow randomized raw generation? To what extant will it be necessary when creating interactions and what is its purpose?

I've been doing Spellcrafts for a long time now, and I never figured out how to implement Lua scripts through dfhack, or lua scripts in general. It's a big and scary change for me if it all goes in the trash because it becomes incompatible
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: September 29, 2024, 12:52:05 pm »

Thanks for the answers
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6019 on: September 30, 2024, 06:44:21 am »

Am i to understand that lua scripting will completely supplant the current interaction format, or is it being implemented to allow randomized raw generation? To what extant will it be necessary when creating interactions and what is its purpose?

I've been doing Spellcrafts for a long time now, and I never figured out how to implement Lua scripts through dfhack, or lua scripts in general. It's a big and scary change for me if it all goes in the trash because it becomes incompatible

We're not planning on breaking any compatibility -- even vanilla saves would be affected and it would just be a huge mess.  So I expect as lua is incorporated it'll be optional for all the places it touches the existing raws, even if it's used by vanilla more and more.  It'll probably be handy to learn a bit of it over time, but like the existing raw format (e.g. creature variations and other scripty things), that should be doable in chunks and not require any special software, since it's all just text, and vanilla and other mods will exist as examples of how things work.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: September 30, 2024, 09:58:55 am »

Are maps ever coming back to legends mode?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: September 30, 2024, 01:21:14 pm »

Are maps ever coming back to legends mode?

I hope so. And I miss the function that saves a copy of the map after you generate a world. Maybe it could save the history highlights that it displays during world generation.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: September 30, 2024, 05:33:13 pm »

We're not planning on breaking any compatibility -- even vanilla saves would be affected and it would just be a huge mess.  So I expect as lua is incorporated it'll be optional for all the places it touches the existing raws, even if it's used by vanilla more and more.  It'll probably be handy to learn a bit of it over time, but like the existing raw format (e.g. creature variations and other scripty things), that should be doable in chunks and not require any special software, since it's all just text, and vanilla and other mods will exist as examples of how things work.

Okay, that makes sence. Thank you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: October 01, 2024, 07:20:34 am »

You and Threetoe have stated in the past that you plan to soon add some kind of "healing magic", mostly to help adventurers heal their wounds and replace the current "fast travel to wait" system (unless I'm misremembering or have misunderstood things). How exactly do you plan on adding this, and are you afraid that it might undermine the game's current medical system, especially in fortress mode? If so, how do you plan on preventing that?
If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

evil_pigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: October 02, 2024, 08:17:36 am »

First of all: the Steam version is fantastic, well worth the price.
Secondly: do you know exactly what causes this bug? https://dwarffortressbugtracker.com/view.php?id=11458
I believe it's the source of many a worldgen crash for people who have modded civs in their games.
Thirdly: will we see an expansion of good-sphere utilizations, like major blessings, spreading influence from rulers and such? On that note, how about neutral or non-aligned spheres?
Thanks in advance, last I was active I heard there were some health issues in real life so I hope those are all sorted.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: October 02, 2024, 11:30:35 am »

Secondly: do you know exactly what causes this bug? https://dwarffortressbugtracker.com/view.php?id=11458
I believe it's the source of many a worldgen crash for people who have modded civs in their games.

Should have been fixed with 50.13, "Fixed world gen crash from the appointing of chefs by demon rulers that had been influenced by outside reading materials on decorum and leisure time"
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

evil_pigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6026 on: October 02, 2024, 12:24:04 pm »

Should have been fixed with 50.13, "Fixed world gen crash from the appointing of chefs by demon rulers that had been influenced by outside reading materials on decorum and leisure time"

I've had quite a few worldgen crashes using the latest beta, and I just learned that this might've been the cause. So far removing NO_EAT and NO_DRINK from my mods seems to have prevented crashing up until the 1000's at least although it's very hard to determine due to how hard it is to diagnose the root causes

evil_pigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: October 02, 2024, 12:33:19 pm »

I'm also noticing a weird trend of mummies, reanimated corpses and experiments becoming civilized members during worldgen and acting as if they weren't OPPOSED_TO_LIFE
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 01:07:59 pm by evil_pigeon »

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: October 02, 2024, 01:01:15 pm »

I'm also noticing a weird trend of mummies, reanimated corpses and experiments becoming civilized members during worldgen and acting as if they weren't OPPOSED_TO_LIFE
Experiments don't have the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag I think
she/her

evil_pigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: October 02, 2024, 01:09:54 pm »

Experiments don't have the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag I think
It's definitely happening with reanimated corpses and mummies though
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403