Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3096057 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #6030 on: October 02, 2024, 01:56:59 pm »

I'm also noticing a weird trend of mummies, reanimated corpses and experiments becoming civilized members during worldgen and acting as if they weren't OPPOSED_TO_LIFE
Experiments don't have the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tag I think
It's definitely happening with reanimated corpses and mummies though

Mummies and intelligent undead don't have OPPOSED_TO_LIFE.

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: October 02, 2024, 02:26:57 pm »

Mummies do have opposed to life, intelligent undead do not

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: October 03, 2024, 07:01:13 pm »

I'm a bit late to some of this discussion (partly due to hurricanes knocking out my power for 5 days, partly due to rarely visiting the forums), but:

As someone who predominantly codes in python and hates coding in lua, I find it quite understandable for a game to choose lua over python for an auxiliary scripting system. Python's greatest strength is also its biggest weakness: the script writer can do damn near anything very easily. This means it's impossible to sandbox it, or in other words, it's impossible to detect or stop malicious code. Big games with big modding communities means players will be downloading mods willy nilly and a single dickbag can cause a lot of damage. Lua can of course still be used to make malicious mods, but it's far harder to do so, especially if the game has some simple sandboxing measures.

I'm not sure DF runs too big a risk of that since we already have DFhack and other memory editors being widely used with (to my knowledge) no instances of malicious scripts being published, but still. It's a reasonable decision to use lua over python for security alone, plus whatever preferences the devs may have besides.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: Today at 02:16:52 am »

I think that'll probably go into how the mod-LUA is implemented, which from what Putnam's been discussing on the discord, is formatted to only work inside of DF, so should be able to be removed via steam-mods even it it badly breaks 1 particular save.

Calling on so many things to crash the users computer with a runaway process accidentally or deliberate is probably the worst end of it I can think of. Im not naive to think that people could use it for more, but id hope those considerations arent anything. Similar concerns are instilled into the ethos for running non-official DFhack scripts, possibly Toady could require a extra level of legal protection and disclaimers if its perceived as a grave enough problem.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403]