Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

History seed?

Migrants from another time, who have lost it all, have begone their voyage to the unknown...
- 1 (8.3%)
Magic was almost completely sealed away, but opposing forces have begun to collect the keys to unlock the Gate and return magic to the world in full...
- 2 (16.7%)
 It starts and ends with darkness...
- 2 (16.7%)
 Its been a long and harrowing journey, most didn't make it, but finally new land is in sight.
- 7 (58.3%)
Refugees carve out a new life in a distant land...
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Microscope: Collaborative SG-like worldbuilding  (Read 3330 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope: Collaborative SG-like worldbuilding (INTEREST CHECK) [5/5]
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 11:44:37 am »

Starting Period
Dark: The world's people receives advance warning of the apocalypse, and start work to escape their world.

Ending Period
Light: The new world's people receives advance warning of another apocalypse, of the same kind as the first... but this time they're ready.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 12:10:36 pm »

Starting Period
Dark: Fleeing an apocalyptic conqueror these battered and beaten refugees set out into the unknown, knowing full well that there may be nothing out there.

Ending Period
Dark: Far beyond the point of no return, the refugees find a dark and monstrous land and must start anew on these atramentous shores.

Now, from reading the rules, it seems as though we aren't limited to just two periods. Is that correct? Because a beginning middle end set up may serve our purposes better.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:30:54 pm by Roboson »

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »

We start with two to define the limits of the 'verse, but we'll insert an arbitrary number in between once setup finishes and the main loop starts

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 02:30:21 pm »

The first periods chosen are just the goalposts of start and finish, nothing more or less. If people end up taking Roboson's periods for example, there'd be nothing to prevent that last period being the tenth time people had to pick up and run away to another continent, instead of being connected to the first period's refugees making landfall. Of course, there'd also be nothing to prevent the players from just focusing entirely on the refugees journey, with lots of separate periods in their flight to find safety if people find that more interesting.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 03:33:46 pm »

I see, I think I misunderstood. That ending period should likely be a middle period or one of them.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 05:48:08 pm »

Alright, let's start the voting for the start and end:

Starts:
Light : After long ages, the Generation Ship has finally reached its destination.

Dark: Things are looking up for the people when they lose everything.

Light: Migrants have found their new lands, and with little resources, they face the test of time.

Dark: The world's people receives advance warning of the apocalypse, and start work to escape their world.

Dark: Fleeing an apocalyptic conqueror these battered and beaten refugees set out into the unknown, knowing full well that there may be nothing out there.

Ends:
Light: The migrants thrive in their new lands.

Dark: Heat death of the universe

Light: The new world's people receives advance warning of another apocalypse, of the same kind as the first... but this time they're ready.

Dark: Far beyond the point of no return, the refugees find a dark and monstrous land and must start anew on these atramentous shores.

Dark : A new ice age comes, the time of great civilizations is over.

Also, since there's little enough activity as it is, Happerry has been added on, so we may get another possible set of bookend periods
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:58:34 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 06:19:59 pm »

Yay! I get to play!

Um, right, starts and ends.

Here's a suggested start then.
Light : After long ages, the Generation Ship has finally reached its destination.

And for an end...

Ignoring my suggestions for the sake of discussing votes without everyone just voting for their own ideas, I'm somewhat inclined towards the 'Migrants have found their new lands, and with little resources, they face the test of time.' start, because we could do fun things with resource poor colonists. As for the end, I'm less sure about that one... What combinations does everyone else think looks good?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 08:19:22 pm »

Well unfortunately I messed up. I actually want this one as the start:

This has overlap with some of the other starts, people heading to a new land for various reasons. That would place the meat of the scenario around the struggle to build a new live in a new, and possibly dangerous or resource scarce, land.

As far as end goes, I'm not particularly about which flavor of apocalypse we choose. Hot, cold, same as the first, starvation, blood rain, I like them all. I'm more about the start and middle. If I had to pick one, I'd go for Ice Age or Heat Death.

Also, perhaps setting up a discord for this would help speed things along and encourage discussion. I know many of us here have accounts already and so that's a very viable option.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:27 am »

I've set up a fairly bare-bones Discord over at https://discord.gg/NEbDA2j Here's the revised list of terminal proposals:

Starts:

Dark: Things are looking up for the people when they lose everything.

Light: Migrants have found their new lands, and with little resources, they face the test of time.

Ends:

Dark: Heat death of the universe

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »

To hopefully get votes going, I'll put these votes down.

Quote from: Vote For Start
Light: Migrants have found their new lands, and with little resources, they face the test of time. - (1) Happerry

Quote from: Vote for End
Dark : A new ice age comes, the time of great civilizations is over.  - (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:30 pm »

I'll continue the trend of voting.

Light: Migrants have found their new lands, and with little resources, they face the test of time. - (1) Happerry
Light: After long ages, the Generation Ship has finally reached its destination. - (1) FallacyofUrist

Dark : A new ice age comes, the time of great civilizations is over.  - (2) Happerry, FallacyofUrist
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:14 pm »

Light: After long ages, the Generation Ship has finally reached its destination. - (2) FallacyofUrist, micelus

Dark : A new ice age comes, the time of great civilizations is over.  - (3) Happerry, FallacyofUrist, micelus
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50:42 pm »

Alright, Well I guess I'll just vote then.

Start:

Ends:

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 11:54:42 pm »

Can I join too?
Sure! Right now, we're voting on which start and end we want

Light: After long ages, the Generation Ship has finally reached its destination. - (2) FallacyofUrist, micelus
Dark: Far beyond the point of no return, the refugees find a dark and monstrous land and must start anew on these atramentous shores. - (2) Roboson, Kilojoule Proton

Dark : A new ice age comes, the time of great civilizations is over.  - (4) Happerry, FallacyofUrist, micelus, Kilojoule Proton
Light: The migrants thrive in their new lands. - (1) Roboson

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6