Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136613 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2011, 10:17:10 am »

My standard bedrooms are 3-tiles 3x1. Door, bed, and when I have enough time I add a cabinet and coffer. Smoothed and engraved.

For more important dwarves they tend to be 3x3, and nobles get larger bedrooms, like 25 tiles.

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2011, 03:29:59 pm »

For macro forts that have to go up and down I generally make something like this. Houses 55 dwarfs and 4 nobles. Each living quarter has a 3x3 bedroom (plus one for bed) and a study OR dining area (both for nobles). This makes it so they stay nice and healthy, and when they go nuts you can usually lock them in their place. Up in the right corner is a dining area, featuring 4 backrooms for kitchens and butchery. If you want you can place a down or up stairway in there to go to another zlevel where the food is above or below you. To the right of the dining area is a zoo/statue garden/arena, whatever you want. In the left top corner there is a library, the the bottom left is a graveyard, and to the right is a dormitory/barracks

I made this from the wiki. Its big. houses somewhere in the 100s

And for those of you who do not like to cheat, I made this

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »

Could you make these images a little bigger?

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »

Could you make these images a little bigger?

1 pixel is one block of space in dwarf fortress. Here is what you do. Open one of those in Paint, or something similar like gimp or photoship, then zoom in until its bigger. When it is bigger it looks like something ingame. Also, you can download those images, convert them to .BMP, and then use them with chromafort/quickfort

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2011, 04:04:59 pm »

Thanks. Maybe I should really learn to use Quickfort.  ::)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »

This is what I've been using in my last couple of forts.

Code: [Select]
      ... U ...
      B..D.D..B
      ... . ...
.B. .B. S...S .B. .B.
... ...   .   ... ...
... ... ..... ... ...
 D   D  .>>>.  D   D
U.........U.........U
 D   D  .<<<.  D   D
... ... ..... ... ...
... ...   .   ... ...
.B. .B. S...S .B. .B.
      ... . ...
      B..D.D..B
      ... U ...

I think this is it. I'm typing this from memory while on campus. It's more compact if you look at it in a square ratio. It only fits a dozen dwarfs to a level, but I find that this makes me dig deeper, since I seem to be making relatively shallow forts. Also, if you don't use the statues, then you can use those hallways for exploratory mining.

U - statue
B - bed
D - door
S - chain (jail)

Edit: Looked at my fortress notes and fixed the diagram errors. Also added a little more description.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 01:43:52 pm by MantisMan »
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2011, 05:06:53 pm »

how do you insert an image?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2011, 05:42:02 pm »

how do you insert an image?
Put the image on a website somewhere, and use the image tag (the first button on the second row in the editing page for this forum).
[img]http://website.of/your/image[/img]
I liked the idea of the multi-level living blocks so I've modified how I do bedrooms recently.  My current set up is a block of 30 2x3 bedrooms, 10 rooms per level.  Technically there is no reason they can't be expanded further, but I like the way it works out when I set up just a level above and a level below the "main" level for that area of the fortress.
     Z-Level -1              Z-Level 0               Z-Level +1
################...#    ################...#    ################...#    B = bed
#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#    #Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#    #Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#    f = cabinet
#h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#    #h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#    #h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#    h = coffer/chest
#..#..#..#..#..#...#    #..#..#..#..#..#...#    #..#..#..#..#..#...#    D = door
##D##D##D##D##D#...#    ##D##D##D##D##D#...#    ##D##D##D##D##D#...#    >, X, < = stairs
 #.............>...#     #.............X...#     #.............<...#    # = wall
 #.............>...#     #.............X...#     #.............<...#    . = floor
##D##D##D##D##D#...#    ##D##D##D##D##D#...#    ##D##D##D##D##D#...#   
#..#..#..#..#..#...#    #..#..#..#..#..#...#    #..#..#..#..#..#...#   
#h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#    #h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#    #h.#h.#h.#h.#h.#...#   
#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#    #Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#    #Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#Bf#...#   
################...#    ################...#    ################...#   
Stick a second set across the hall and you have 60 rooms with a 3-wide hallway down the middle in a 35x12x3 volume.  Personally I tend to put a 11x6 dining hall/food storage and workshop space across the passage.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

PFactorial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:12 pm »

I use these types of bedrooms. Sometimes I dig out the edges and link up another bedroom complex

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2011, 05:28:05 am »

I don't get this design. From the title I would guess it's exploratory mining. But not very efficient, you could place the tunnels one more square apart and still see everything. And what's the blue stuff?
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2011, 09:43:44 am »

if you designate a room everything inside the room designation belongs to the assigned dwarf, right? even the door?

or at least they can admire it and have happy thoughts?

What about floor hatches?? If they are inside the room (as in on a floor tile that belongs to the room designation) they behave like a door in the wall in terms of ownership and thoughts??

What if the hatch is in the ceiling? Like inside the room there is an up-stair and the down-stair in the upper z-level has a hatch, does that hatch belong to the room??
Every furniture inside a room belongs to its owner, yes. Including floor hatches on the ground, but not on the z-level above. Statues and windows too, but they remove floor space and the associated value, and sometimes some wall tiles (like in a corner). I've had a mayor's room with less value after adding exceptionnal quality clear glass windows as a middle separation.

Doors not set as internal are NOT considered as furniture and do NOT give value to a room. My only doors set as internal are in noble's rooms, if I separate their bedroom into 2-3 separate areas. Oh, and between my dining room and my wells room.

As for good thoughts, for me they are pretty random. Any furniture can generate them...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Proxiee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:21 am »

I don't get this design. From the title I would guess it's exploratory mining. But not very efficient, you could place the tunnels one more square apart and still see everything. And what's the blue stuff?

the red is the stairs, the middle is purely decorative, the lines are 2 pixels away from each other so if there is nothing valuable I just engrave everything making it a library, and the blue stuff for me was a channel. I channeled from the very top to the lakes on the bottom and made a giant waterfall that surrounded the fort

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2011, 11:42:22 am »

the red is the stairs, the middle is purely decorative, the lines are 2 pixels away from each other so if there is nothing valuable I just engrave everything making it a library, and the blue stuff for me was a channel. I channeled from the very top to the lakes on the bottom and made a giant waterfall that surrounded the fort

Nice design! What do you consider a library?

Is it like a human library, but instead of using flimsy paper, you use dwarvy stone to engrave the precious history of your fort? Interesting!
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »

But how would you make sure that the engravers only carved historical events, rather than pictures of plump helmets?
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2011, 02:26:06 pm »

Easy, mine out any unimpressive walls and then recast in obsidian.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28