Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 136556 times)

Charli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:29 pm »

hey there! I just signed up cause i'd like to ask how important doors for every bedroom are?

I just started playing DF after some time again and was thinking about reworking my old fractalish bedroom design from 40d times. each bedroom is exactly 3 floortiles big and contains a chest, a cabinet and a bed obviously. All the designs I looked at on the wiki and here on the forums also included doors. Is this just for being able to lock in insane dwarfs or easier room designation? because I don't really feel a need for doors right now and leaving out the doors would save a little space... but I'm actually just a newbie who's about to start his second fort :)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2011, 06:29:45 pm »

Doors help with room designation, as it's otherwise difficult to limit the area to a 3x1 bedroom without having the "flow" of the designation pour out of the doorway. They also help with the value of the room, if I'm not mistaken.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:13 pm »

I just do long halls of 2x3 rooms. Nice, simple, and can hold all the sh*t your dwarf wants.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »

xx
xx
x

For all dwarves except anyone with expectations like a noble or captain.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »

New here first post

Has any one tried actually giving their dwarfs a proper house 2 z levels like living room kitchen on first z level and bedrooms on top floor

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2011, 04:54:57 pm »

Yeah, only works without economy though.

Inns, taverns, barracks, etc are fun to do too. :)

I tend to build blocks of 2x3 rooms.
favorites, legendaries etc get 3x3s,
nobles get what they demand and then some.

Proper appartments as mentioned above usually take too much time.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 08, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

My last fort I did apartments that all had windows on a wall that overlooked a 4 z level dining hall. Each bedroom was at 4x4 with the nobles, legendaries getting 4x8. They also got glass doors that led to balconies that overlooked the dining hall. all smoothed and engraved. All had gold doors.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:27 pm »

My current fort has some big housing block. Everyone except nobles gets a 5x5-room (fully masterfull-exceptional-engraved floor [I hate engraving walls], gold chest and gold cabinet, underground tree bed, gold floor bars [see later]). They are arranged in 5 levels, in each there is a 3x3 block of these rooms in the mid (the middle one is not used, though), then a surrounding corridor (also of width 5 and engraved), and around that more rooms and four "staircases" (ramps, in fact). The stairs are such that they take exactly the place of one room, but the neighbouring rooms are left out. In the mid of each room there are said floor bars, making it possible to turn on a bunch of 28 waterfalls, giving every single room it's own mist (but they weren't used for more than twenty years due to FPS limits). Lesser nobles (manager, etc.) get another of these rooms as office etc., the baron got his small palace somewhere else (and a Magma-Yin-Water-Yang-tomb over the magma sea).
Umm, pretty hard to describe after all^^

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2011, 04:18:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My current design. (is going to be fulle engraved later) The hall in the middle can be a hospital, meeting room, huge central staircase, whatever. I use it as a tomb. On a second look, I think there need to be more doors, so the rooms next to the hallways around the hall can be accessed faster.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2011, 04:35:06 pm »

I am just lazy and give everyone a 1X20 'room' to live on off of my 3 wide main hallway. I repeat on the next z lvl down if I run out of space.
[edit]: Now that I think about it, is there any major danger of dwarfs falling down stairs if I try to make a 3 dimensional hallway entirely out of up-down stairs?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:37:51 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

Repeatable hall using 3 z-levels

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The hallway can be any width you want, since you can put Floor Hatches to let dwarves walk on downward ramps without actually going down. Notice the +1 and -1 levels are not as deep to the sides as the level 0, if it bugs you, use 1x4 rooms on those levels.

I use the same setup for workshops, except with less walls so I get 3x3 workshops combined to 3x3 storages.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2011, 05:35:20 pm »

I dislike floor hatches because (last I remember, anyway), when you have them over a ramp or stair their image flashes on and off which I find annoying to look at.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2011, 07:35:58 pm »

I dislike floor hatches because (last I remember, anyway), when you have them over a ramp or stair their image flashes on and off which I find annoying to look at.

Try it again, they don't flash, they open and close like doors and can act as a floor, without preventing down movement.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2011, 10:30:43 pm »

I like using 2x7 rooms for my dwarves. True, it's a bit of a space waste, but I haven't had a problem so far and with a bit of effort, they can be easily converted to noble housing. (Channel one tile, and build two walls, place chair and tables.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:17 pm »

Have you tried the ingame macro system? It sends a series of keypresses, so if you record the exact keypresses to set up the stockpile then you could have it repeat it as much as you want.
I do have a couple of in-game macros. Unfortunately I turn into a spaghetti-fingered idiot as soon as I hit the record button, so they never work out right for anything less simple than Enter, Down, repeat.

I'd probably be better off writing an AHK script and feeding that to DF's macro system.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28