Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52896 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 14, Summer 1954
« Reply #585 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:30 am »

Also there's a threat of nuclear war - would we like to become ungentlemanly? If the rules of war are about to collapse, should we be honorable and try to uphold them, or blatantly design something that breaks them?

Quote from: NAF-MAW-54 "Golem"
The Golem is the next step in armored warfare. Utilizing all the resources available to our military, we've created our first bipedal walker. Officially classified as a "Mechanized Assault Walker", the Golem uses two squat legs with reversed knee joints and wide feet to provide stability to what is essentially a heavily armed turret up top. The upper part of the mech is capable of rotating 270 degrees, and the two Ironcasters mounted on turrets built into the "shoulders" also allow a significant field of fire vertically. On the front "torso" of the walker we've mounted two Kiwis remotely controlled by a gunner inside the cockpit in what our engineers have dubbed "Nipple Mounts". In what our engineers have also begun to call the "Fanny turret", a chamber just above the legs on the upper portion of the walker large enough to fit a gunner, we've mounted an Emu to deal with approaching infantry. The cockpit, at the top of the "torso" of the walker, does away with standard armored vehicle configurations, and instead utilizes an in-line cockpit much like our Tornado. The Fanny Turret and Cockpit are separate, but the floor between them is grated to facilitate communication, and has a space to pass objects, such as a cup of tea, through if needed.

The legs and front torso utilize medium armor, with light armor on the sides and thin on the back - ideally the back of the walker will rarely be facing the enemy.

This is just a framework to work off of. I'm open to adjustments. This is our final showing, after all.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:45 am »

Assuming this game is set in the same world as Forenia, we could potentially take the Tiger armour, make it bigger and have a suit of power armour. That may be harder than just making a bipedal mech though. Depends on whether miniaturisation of the required power supply is harder than making a stable two-legged robot.

I still like the idea of hover tanks though. They will not be anywhere near as armoured as a walker tank, but they will be a lot faster.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 14, 2018, 07:26:57 am »

If we do decide on something like the Golem, I just thought we should do a variant with the rocket pods instead of Ironcasters. A design and revision for a bipedal walker, using a Research Assistance on the revision for rocket pods variant if the original is subpar, using the revision to introduce the variant and hopefully improve upon the rest of the design. Then we could still try for hover tanks or a blimp bomber with our second design/revision.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:58 am »

I personally feel that two main guns and three minor guns is a bit much for our first bipedal walker, especially if we've not got autoloaders for the ironcasters yet. I'd be happy to have as literally a single tank turret on top of a pair of legs, with an integrated emu. Simple and straightforward, which should guarantee that we get a solid new vehicles that doesn't suffer from too many features.

If we were to stick with the Golem though, I'd want the ability to move between the cockpit and gunner sections internally. Otherwise we *will* get a report of a crew member getting trapped and burning to death whilst their crew mate watches through the grate.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 14, 2018, 07:53:29 am »

I'm gonna be pretty generous for this last turn, so go nuts.

I went for some extra sauce due to word of GM. I'll definitely lop off a few weapons if it's seen as too over-the-top. I don't want us to suffer from not being ambitious enough on our last turn, though.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2018, 08:17:37 am »

It may just be the pessimist in me, but I feel a reliable bipedal walker will eat up most of the GMerosity, already, even before adding all the bells and whistles.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:25 am »

NAF-SUB-54 "Sneaker": Nogrania... does not rule the waves. But perhaps it could still rule the seas. To this end, we have developed not another ship, but a whole new (for Serouda) class of vessel: a submarine.
The Sneaker is a 250ft long vessel, with a submerged displacement of 1700 tons (1300 surfaced). It has a 'partial double hull', wherein the majority of the vessel has an outer hull and an inner hull (increasing sturdiness), but only a single hull at the ends, to make the torpedo launching apparatus simpler. We have not gotten overambitious with the test depth; a mere 240ft should be more than enough to avoid anything Toskesh can currently muster, or whip up quickly.
The Sneaker has 8 torpedo tubes capable of firing Blindman torpedoes- four bow, four stern- and carries 16 torpedoes. It also has a single Duke cannon on deck.
Two diesel engines charge two large batteries, which power two electrical motors that drive two shafts, giving the Sneaker a top surface speed of 18kn, and a top submerged speed of 9kn. It can stay submerged for at most 36 hours at 3kn. The range is not especially impressive, given that it is not meant to fight internationally, but only patrol the waters around Serouda.
It has a passive sonar system for detecting pursuers whilst submerged, as well as a periscope. Room for more advanced sensor systems exists, but have not been included in this early model.
The Sneaker will be useful as a scout/skirmisher/assassin in fleet battles, but also as a transport interdictor, sinking resource shipments and troop convoys.

Quote from: V(oteb)ox Populi
NAF-SUB-54 "Sneaker": (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:36:56 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:03 pm »

Gonna post another design idea or two (including a drawing my unartistic ass did), and make some changes to the golem sometime after I'm done work, but I had a strategy thought to mull over.

Unfortunately our forces will need a lot of revising to be able to compete with Toskesh in Summer Swamps, to a level that's likely impossible. I think a land-based design like the Golem or another walker and the sub design will pair well together: while we will not be effective enough to push the swamps and take the capital in one fell swoop, we can blockade them at sea and cut them off from land expansion. It might not win us the war definitively, but they'll end this game besieged and North Korea'd. Barring shit rolls, we could force them to the negotiations table unless we're all wiped out in nuclear fire.

Plus the sub could hunt down their 3tc national effort merchant vessel, and that'd probably explode real pretty.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 15, 2018, 11:30:11 pm »

Double post, but this one's dedicated to a few designs.

Firstly I had drawn up a garbage sketch of my original Golem design before I realized it's body was essentially a smaller Catapult from BattleTech, doubly so if it's equipped with Bartenders, which I'm actually thinking would be a lot better with that design, especially considering the mentioned lack of previous experience creating and using autoloaders for our big guns. The drawing did give me a few ideas for improvements too, and you'll see those in the new design below.

Quote from: NAF-MAW-54 "Goliath"
The Goliath is the next step in armored warfare. Utilizing all the resources available to our military, we've created our first bipedal walker. Officially classified as a "Mechanized Assault Walker", the Golem uses two squat legs with reversed knee joints and wide feet to provide stability to what is essentially a heavily armed turret up top. The upper part of the mech is capable of rotating 270 degrees, and four Bartender rocket pods are mounted onto the sides and built into the "shoulders. On the front "torso" of the walker we've mounted two Kiwis remotely controlled by a gunner inside the cockpit in what our engineers have dubbed "Nipple Mounts". In what our engineers have also begun to call the "Fanny turret", a chamber just above the legs on the upper portion of the walker large enough to fit a gunner, we've mounted an Emu to deal with approaching infantry. The cockpit, at the top of the "torso" of the walker, does away with standard armored vehicle configurations, and instead utilizes an in-line cockpit much like our Tornado. The Fanny Turret and Cockpit are mostly separated, but the floor between them is grated to facilitate communication, and has a space to pass objects, such as a cup of tea, through if needed. At the back of the Goliath, near the entry hatch, is a small ladder to allow access from the cockpit to the Fanny Turret, though space is very tight within the machine.

The legs and front torso utilize medium armor, with light armor on the sides and thin on the back - ideally the back of the walker will rarely be facing the enemy.

Spoiler: This is a Catapult (click to show/hide)
Note that the upper section is slightly taller to facilitate space for the Fanny Turret and Nipple Mounts.

Quote from: NAF-MBW-54 "Titan"
The Titan is our first foray into developing a true Main Battle Walker. It has eight legs arranged in a circle around the body, though it's capable of remaining standing and somewhat mobile with up to five legs disabled, so long as they're distributed around the Titan. There is almost no discernible front save for the direction the Duke is pointing, and, if someone is perceptive enough, the metal slats in front of the driver's windshield. The body of the Titan is hemispherical in shape with a flat bottom, with the Duke turret mounted on top and four gun ports using Emus at the front, rear, and sides. While the armament isn't impressive (our engineers have noted it's a Red Herring minus Torpedoes), it is clad completely in heavy armor. The seven man crew inside (Driver, Gunner, Loader, 4x NMG Gunners/Mechanics/Back-Up Crew) is fairly cramped, but it was worth it to add a small tea station.

If the Titan becomes disabled in combat, the crew is able to remove the Emus and dismount through the bottom or top hatch to continue the fight. Original designs included only a bottom hatch until an engineer pointed out that a disabled walker could fall in a way to block the hatch. The bottom hatch was kept in to provide the option of dismounting among the legs as cover if possible.

While it'd be more expensive to field, the Titan may be easier to design. It's a little more conservative with armament, but it'll be the most durable thing on the island by far. I wanted to field heavy armor, but with the enemy protected by swamps I also wanted to make sure that this thing could distribute the weight better with eight legs and maybe avoid getting bogged down.

If we want to break the law this turn we should go with flamethrowers.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 16, 2018, 04:50:40 pm »

Quote from: V(oteb)ox Populi
NAF-SUB-54 "Sneaker": (1) NUKE9.13
NAF-MAW-54 "Goliath": (1) Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 17, 2018, 01:42:39 am »

May I just point out that they are 1 section away from our capital via the sea route? If we ignore the sea this turn, we will lose.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 17, 2018, 02:49:28 am »

How about some sort of battle-carrier? That should be suitable hard for the gm sauce to apply.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 17, 2018, 03:00:11 am »

A sub synergises better with our torpedoes, and whilst they could sink a carrier, they have no way of attacking or tracking a submerged submarine.
And we have a Research Assistance credit, whilst the design I've posted is pre-WWII in complexity- combined with GMenerosity, it should be quite doable.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 17, 2018, 03:05:20 am »

As it stands, do they possess anything that can seriously threaten our subs? I can see them developing torpedos in response to our own, but that's it.

Quote from: V(oteb)ox Populi - Design 1
NAF-SUB-54 "Sneaker": (2) NUKE9.13, Kashyyk
NAF-MAW-54 "Goliath": (1) Happerry

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 17, 2018, 07:16:11 am »

Guys, remember that we have two designs and this is our final turn, unless things have been horribly misinterpreted on my end. No need to be conservative, and no need to worry about them developing hard counters to what we do this turn (unless they get lucky and do something this turn).

If we make a sub and a walker, which design should get our assistance credit? I imagine each of them will need one of our two revisions to fix flaws as well.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 45