Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 52877 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 14, Summer 1954
« Reply #615 on: May 20, 2018, 01:11:18 pm »

The hovertank is not another light tank, it is quite possibly the fastest tank in the world, as everyone else is using slow, heavy walkers.

By all means, I think we should produce a heavy walker tank, but I also believe we need a fast cavalry tank and the only reasonable option is a hovertank.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 20, 2018, 02:06:55 pm »

If we make a Hovertank I want to slap one of the rocket pods from our helicopter onto it.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 20, 2018, 03:33:38 pm »

I feel that since the NAC (glad to see that idea swing back around) falls between our NMGs and cannons very neatly that we can get away with revising it into existence: it can be seen as a scaled down, belt-fed Ironcaster using NMG foundations. I like that idea.
Whilst we could maybe swing an NAC as a revision, I think we'd get a better product if we used a design. I know it's not the sexiest thing, but the basics are important. A quality NAC would help in almost every situation.

Re:Hovertank, I doubt that eS's generosity extends to the point that we can in a single design create something as good as or better than Toskesh's several-designs-and-revisions hovercraft, which I will remind you is not super impressive as is.

So, whilst I'm not locked in on the NAC, I am going to vote for it for now.

Quote from: Botevox
NAF-NAC-54 "1x5.4 Eagle" (No Research Assistance): (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 26, 2018, 05:21:56 pm »

I'd like to back the NAC but I'd also like to suggest a change:

In the NAC I proposed a while back (I'd look it up by I'm on a phone and lazy) the belt fed into a revolving chamber, like a revolver but open to feed the belt and next round into an empty chamber. When the trigger gets pulled the round chambered in the barrel is pushed through and fired, and once the triggeris depressed the chamber rotates, feeding another round into an open chamber and lining up the next round for firing.

I'd like that mechanism in our NAC  (SAC-SemiAutoCannon?), namely as it will increase potential accuracy by removing the motion caused by cranking. It might lower RoF, but probably by a minimal amount, since the cranks have limiters anyway. That should make our N/SACs more effective at targeting weak points in enemy vehicles.

If this gets my vote (it probably will, definitely if the loading and firing method is adjusted) then next turn I'm doubling down on a walker or something similar. This turn is giving us good stuff to hold our enemy off with, but not much to get offensive with.

The flaw with our plan right now though is the fact that next turn if Toskesh counters our sub then we're kind of stuck. If we designed a superweapon (Like ace combat 4s Stonehenge or Megalith, my two favorite megaprojects of all time) and fielded what would definitely be a National Effort in our home territory we could at least hold off an invasion or two. Right now though if they're smart they've got us with a 'mate in 3, 2 if rolls go their way.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 26, 2018, 05:49:02 pm »

Autocannon seems good to me.

NAF-NAC-54 "1x5.4 Eagle" (No Research Assistance): (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry
[/quote]
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 27, 2018, 02:42:21 am »

NAF-NAC-54 "1x5.4 Eagle" (No Research Assistance): (2) NUKE9.13, Happerry
NAF-AFH-54 "Bullfrog" (1) Kashyyk

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 28, 2018, 03:01:15 pm »

NAF-NAC-54 "1x5.4 Eagle": Sometimes a NMG just doesn't cut it. Not enough range, not enough stopping power. You need the power of a cannon, and the speed of a NMG. You need a Non-AutoCannon. The Eagle is a gas-operated NAC, firing 1x5.4" ammunition from an 80" barrel, with a projected muzzle velocity of 3000ft/s. Like an NMG, it is fired by spinning a crank, and has been locked to a maximum rpm of [the same as the Emu] to prevent jams. Totally not copying off of Toskesh, a pedal-operated version is also available.
Armour-piercing, high-explosive, and tracer rounds are available, provided in various combinations in belts. It is expected to have a considerably longer range than the Emu.
The Eagle can be installed on the Tornado (we deliberately made the front mount larger than it needed to be so we could do this), on our ships/subs, in defensive positions, and possibly (at a low priority) on a modified Hippo instead of the main gun.

Easy Difficulty: 3

The NAF-NAC-54 "1x5.4 Eagle" is totally not an autocannon, chambered for 1" rounds.  It's a pretty big weapon, too heavy and cumbersome to be used on anything other than vehicles.  The Eagle makes use of bicycle pedals to run the crank, leaving the users hands free to aim - a completely original idea not stolen from Toskesh even in the slightest.  It comes with our standard speed-limiter from the Emu, along with optional locking mechanisms.

The Eagle can be mounted on the Tornado and on all our ships and submarines, or even swapping the main gun out of the Hippo.  This leaves the modified Hippo at a bit of a disadvantage against Toskesh's heavier walkers, but makes it excellent against air and ground forces.  The ammunition comes with our standard solid-AP, HE, and Tracer round package.  By default, the Eagle will use mixed belts unless there's an explicit reason not to.  2 Ore.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 28, 2018, 04:23:05 pm »

Quote from: NAF-RL-54 "Martini"
The Martini is Nogrania's attempt at fully understanding and improving upon Toskesh's rocket launcher. The weapon system itself is studied to simplify production, and a new warhead is designed to be used with the rocket - the High Explosive Squash Head (HESH). This change in ammunition is intended to provide infantry with increased effectiveness against armor, especially when supporting Hippos are equipped with Eagles. The new HESH rockets can also be fired out of our Bartender.

Revision designed to decomplexify the Gin na Tonic and give us more AT so we don't get punished for turning some hippos into AA/AP platforms.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:24:48 am by Man of Paper »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2018, 03:39:21 am »

Hmm. Specify that the warhead is also available for the Bartender rockets, since it is noted that they are weak against heavier armour. Even then, I'm not sure about decomplexifying the RL... I feel like a scope for the Kiwi might be better. Something that puts us ahead of Toskesh in an area, not at parity.

I dunno.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:19 am »

Added the bit about the Bartender. We have do use at least one of our actions to improve our force's offensive ability. The sub will be good for holding the enemy off at sea, and the NAC good on land and air. While a scope will help a good bit in the Mountains and Badlands, it's not going to give us much in the Fjords. Improved anti-armor is going to be effective on all fronts, especially in the Badlands where their vehicles run, or hover, rampant. We can do a scope for the next revision, but I want to ensure we get something to push us forward.

Note that I do understand where the Eagle's being used, but we'll probably see it being more effective on the defensive end than offensive, classifying it as a defensive weapon in my book for now.

Do you think we could float a revision to give, say, the Megamule, rocket racks?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:54 am »

Megamule rocket racks: Not with a similar range to Toskesh's rockets. That'd require a design, or stealing theirs.

Anyway, I thought about it, and I guess I could support the Martini.

NAF-RL-54 "Martini": (2) Man of Paper, NUKE9.13

E: Incidentally, for our second revision, I was thinking about giving our tank-walkers better locomotion. They won't ever outspeed their hovercraft, but a speed/agility boost wouldn't go amiss.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:55:32 am by NUKE9.13 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 31, 2018, 11:51:26 am »

What if... wait for it... we stole their hovercraft? Then we could build that hovertank I really want?

It'll also give us experience with engines that are viable with helicopters.

NAF-RL-54 "Martini": (2) Man of Paper, NUKE9.13
Steal the Qi-Chu Hovercraft and name it 'NAF-HC-54 "Key-Chew"': (1) Kashyyk

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 31, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »

Oh, right, yeah, we should steal their hovercraft. Good point. We can do the Martini next, but we should definitely get their hovercraft if we want a chance of winning the game in the next few turns.

NAF-RL-54 "Martini": (1) Man of Paper
Steal the Qi-Chu Hovercraft and name it 'NAF-HC-54 "Key-Chew"': (2) Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 04, 2018, 09:12:55 pm »

Steal the Qi-Chu Hovercraft and name it 'NAF-HC-54 "Key-Chew"

Normal Difficulty: 3

We manage to nab one of the Qi-Chu's that Toskesh always seems to leave laying around, usually in burning wrecks or deflated bags of rubber.

The technology is surprisingly advanced - the internal airflow and fingers that make up the skirt are sectioned and armored, giving the craft redundancy and resilience against small arms fire.  The engines are easy enough to swap out for our own, as well as the main armament.  We don't have rocket artillery, but with a little work we can load up the 4" Duke onto the turret ring.  The craft is entirely unarmored, but has a degree of mobility that our ground equipment simply can't match.  It's [COMPLEX] until we can develop more complete models of the ground effect phenomenon that the hovercraft relies on, but until then the Key-Chew is relatively inexpensive at 4 Ore, 3 Oil, 1 Cobalt. [COMPLEX]

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 04, 2018, 11:23:10 pm »

Right now, our copy of the Gin na Tonic is complex. We should fix that, for the sake of cheap rockets for everyone.

Simplify Gin na Tonic (1): Happerry
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45