Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Mananauts! | Wizardly Away Team | [4/4 Players] | The Streets of Tucson  (Read 12813 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Mananauts! | Wizardly Away Team | [4/4 Players] | Welcome, Mananauts
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 09:26:05 am »

Turn 4: Badasses and Birds

Randall Mixon (Yotta)

"I uh, should probably make sure he doesn't start vomiting."

Randall runs after and tries to drag him to the infirmary.

Locke gives a relieved nod and lets you and Irneus chase after Randall without complaint.

[4]

Farris must be staggering extraordinarily quickly, because you lose sight of him despite being nearly on his coattails. Irneus doesn't do much better than you, and you both end up at an intersection, unsure of which way to go. One path leads up to the ground level of the Spelljammer and the bridge, the other leads back down to storage and the Mananas.

Thankfully, there's a pair of crew here that Locke probably introduced you two. They're no help however, as one of them is talking about an idiot who ran past looking like he was going to cause some ruckus at the Tree, and the other is talking about an idiot who run past looking like he was going to cause some ruckus down below.

Spoiler: Randal Mixon (click to show/hide)

Eiyal (Harry)

Find the crow's nest and jump into it!

Completely pumped, you run out of your cabin and back up the spiralling track that leads to the surface, brushing past people and grunting in order to keep up your momentum. You throw the door to the surface open and stare at the tree, your eye-muscles quivering as they adjust to the sudden change in light by flexing furiously. You scan the tree, looking for a crows nest...

[5] and find one! In the higher branches, a little more than twenty-five feet up the in tree, is the nest of a crow. Your leg muscles bunch furious as your prepare to make a standing leap into the air, [6+1+2-2, Sword-Mage, Pumped, 25 foot vertical jump] and fire like cannon shots into the ground! Your iron skull deflects many lesser branches as you whip upwards through the air, streaking through the foliage until you can grab onto and swing up up to stand over the crows nest. There would be quite a few from up here, if everything wasn't so leafy.

Something shifts between your feet, and you look down to see a small and very confused looking crow. "Smooth and shiny?"

Incidentally, this position puts you directly facing one of the tree-house windows. Looking out from one of those windows is a young woman with cat ears dressed in the red-slashed-brown robes of a security officer. [1-2 Sword-Mage] She takes one look at you, draws a pair of slightly curved swords, and vaults through the window at you while screaming, "INTRUDEEEEERRR!"

Spoiler: Eiyal (click to show/hide)

Farris (Cool)

Farris blinks unexcitedly, as if this is nothing new to him.

"All these people to mug and you had to choose the winner of the Gafius Wizardry Combat Festival? The Insane Inferno? The first man to sustain a tornado of pure fire for over a day?

I'm not gonna stop you, but feel free to come at me. Try your luck.
"

Bluff, and look relaxed about it. If they do try anything, run the hell away.

You decide to fake it, casually buffing your nails on your coat as you brag about your abilities as a combat wizard. [6]

Stark terror transforms their faces as they realize what a terrible mistake they've made in messing with a studly pyromancer like yourself.

"I just remembered, I've got cracked corn casserole cooking!"
"I just remembered, I'm late to play at the pentagonal pipe parade!"
"I just remembered, I've got to go grab my girls from graduation in Grenada!"

The first three throw their weapons to the ground and scatter in random directions.

"I just remembered, I'm... I'm..."

He seems momentarily stumped for a moment, then glances back to you with wide eyes.

"I'm dead," he says at last, going completely limp and collapsing at your feet."

Your pigeon wraps her wings around you and gazes up at you adoringly. "Oh Farris, you're so manly!"

Looking down at her, you realize there's definitely something your supposed to be doing. Some surprise you had for her...

The 'body' on the ground cracks an eye and looks up at you and whispers "You're right, you know," before slumping back into mock repose.

What was the surprise you had planned for your pigeon girlfriend?

Spoiler: Farris Kindlestone (click to show/hide)

Irneus (Icy)

Return to the mess hall. Immediately facepalm. Lower hand from face, look at left wrist. Irneus does not have a watch on his left wrist. He speaks to nobody in particular:

"Two minutes. I was gone for two minutes, and already a team member almost killed himself. This makes me almost feel wanted."

Check on Farris' health.

Farris, unfortunately, is non-compliant with your desire to check on his health, and keeps dashing away at remarkably good speed for a man who just took drugs. Randall is with you in trying to catch up with him, and the two of you do your best to weave around obstacles and other crew members in order to catch up with Farris before something bad happens.

[4]

You stay neck and neck with Randall, and the two of you end up at an intersection with no clear indication of which way Farris went. He had to have taken one path, either up to the bridge or down to the Mananas, but it's not immediately clear which.

Thankfully, there's a pair of crew here that Locke probably introduced you two. They're no help however, as one of them is talking about an idiot who ran past looking like he was going to cause some ruckus at the Tree, and the other is talking about an idiot who run past looking like he was going to cause some ruckus down below.

Spoiler: Irneus the Merciful (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:01:17 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:03 am »

((Might want to double check Ivy's turn. You substituted Randall's name with mine at every point, so he was chasing me with me at his side. I mean, it's certainly quite amusing to think of it that way.))

Farris thinks a moment, then let's out a deep sigh.

"The truth is, m'dear, and I'm sure I'm right,
is that we're dead. Okay, dead is a bad word to describe it.
We're fictional yet real, alive yet not living for anything,
aspiring for greatness in a world that cannot contain any.
I know not why my heart is filled with such certainty, but it is. I just have a feeling that this world is an illusion; an intoxicating illusion, but an illusion nonetheless. I wonder if the one creating the illusion is myself, of if it could be any person in the world? Then again, does it matter? If this world is fake, is it not still the realest we know? What are your thoughts on the matter, m'dear? Have you ever been filled with such worries, fears, and questions?
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:10 am »

"CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP! EIYAAAAAAL!" I scream my ancestral battlecry and draw the great and terrible Malalai!

Battle for the crow's nest and, if possible, the pair of swords - Mala hasn't had her lunch yet.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 10:50:33 am »

"Split up! I'm probably not welcome at the bridge, so you go that-a-way!"

Run towards the Manana-farm, keep looking for Farris.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »

"Uh! Right!"

Head up to the Tree and see if Farris is up there.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »

Chapter 5: Fey Moods and Cat Fights

Randall Mixon (Yotta)

Head up to the Tree and see if Farris is up there.

You swing left and start running up towards the surface, bursting onto the grassy ground beneath the oak tree. Farris doesn't look like he's around here, unless he did something phenomenally stupid like try to climb up to the bridge...

Your eyes jerk upwards as a war cry rings out from above you, inexorably drawing your gaze up to Eiyal. Eiyal is, inexplicably, about twenty feet up in the tree, and is brandishing is sword at the treehouse that is the bridge. What he's brandishing his sword at becomes apparent when a feline shape with dual swords drawn leaps from the window of the bridge to attack him.

The feline shape is wearing the colors of the ship's security officer. On a ship of this size, with that being the bridge, that means Eiyal is probably fighting the ship's head of security. So, to recap, you did not find a drugged-out Farris wandering around molesting people while under the influence of unknown drugs. Instead, you found Eiyal assaulting a ship's senior officer with a lethal weapon while twenty feet off the ground.

If there's any good news to be had, it seems to be that neither Eiyal nor the Feline have disemboweled each other yet.

Eiyal (Harry)

"CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP! EIYAAAAAAL!" I scream my ancestral battlecry and draw the great and terrible Malalai!

Battle for the crow's nest and, if possible, the pair of swords - Mala hasn't had her lunch yet.

[4+2 (Sword-Mage) vs 3+3 (Skilled Sword-Mage)] The catgirl rushes you, screaming something incomprehensible in moonspeak while leaping out of the treehouse window. She lands deftly on the treebranch you're standing on and lunges, with Mala being just able to deflect the points of her twin blades from piercing your stomach. Your flashing return strike, however, is blocked by a left-handed parry and you're forced to jump to a different tree-limb and swipe low in order to deflect a strike that would have removed your ankle.

Though she keeps screaming incomprehensible gibberish at you, you're forced to admit the catgirl is pretty good. While you can occasionally force her to retreat through the branches of the tree, she can do the exact same thing to you. Leaves fall around you as the two of you dodge through the oak tree's branches, near misses and deflected swings nipping at the foliage. Mala thrums in your hands, buzzed with battle, and you're fully aware that you're in for the fight of your life.

Heck, you haven't even left port yet. Best assignment ever.

Farris Kindlestone (Cool)

"Then again, does it matter? If this world is fake, is it not still the realest we know? What are your thoughts on the matter, m'dear? Have you ever been filled with such worries, fears, and questions?"

Your pigeon looks at you with soft brown eyes, her gaze never flinching away from yours. "Oh, Farris, I've never believed the world was real since I met you. Everything we've had, everything we've done, it's all too magical to be real. If this is someone else's dream, then I am grateful to them for dreaming us together. If this dream is mine, then I shall cry on waking for knowing that a man as perfect as you does not exist. Yet, whether this be reality or dream, I only know that I want to spend it with you."

Her wings push your hands to cup the small, soft feathers under her beak, locking the two of you together. "If this dream lasts forever, or if it only lasts another couple of turns, don't be afraid. No one can control when we wake from this dream, and the only thing we can do until the world ends is try to do the things that make us happy."

The serene silence that follows her words lasts only a moment before it's torn asunder by the rending crunch of reality tearing. The two of you look up, not with panic, but with the kind interested detachment. There are rifts opening up in the sky, wounds in reality, and hundreds of dozens of Crab drones are pouring forth. At various points on the skyline around you, massive paper airplanes rumble up from the earth and warning klaxons begin to blare.

"What do you think, Farris, should we help with the evacuation? Or should we go somewhere where we can be happy together while the world ends?"

Irneus (Icy)

"Split up! I'm probably not welcome at the bridge, so you go that-a-way!"

Run towards the Manana-farm, keep looking for Farris.

While Randall takes the right, you swing left and beginning running down to try and catch up with Farris.

For better or worse, you're the lucky winner, and you find Farris ransacking the tiny supply room that Locke showed you. In his hands he has a handful of loose soil, a small spool of copper wire, a manana peel. He's currently rummaging through several small boxes of stones in the supply room, rifling through them one after another and eventually casting each aside.

[3+2 (Healer)] Though you'd need several more complex measurements to be certain, you think you know what's troubling him. This has nothing to do with the secondary effects of the gropevine. Though judging by the various physiological indicators of flushed skin, rapid breathing, dilated pupils, Farris IS suffering from an extended chemical high from a variety of pharmacological compounds, that is not what's ailing him. It appears that the drug cocktail and the ensuing encounter with floor has induced a fey mood in the enchanter, and he's currently on the search for supplies.

Your suspicions are confirmed when Farris snarls "I MUST HAVE ROUGH GEMS!" at no one in particular.

Aside from helping him get what he needs, there's no cure for this. Stopping him is extremely dangerous, both to anyone who gets in his way, and to his own psyche if he's successfully stopped in his search.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:59:58 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:25 pm »

"I think just watching would be nice. I'm torn between the benches by the lake at Farmare Park,
or the hill where we watched the stars. I'll leave this call up to you.
"

(This game is amazing so far. I have no idea why, but I giggled like a school girl when reading Irneus's turn.)
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 12:07:31 am »

"Oh what the... HEY! YOU TWO STOP HAVING SWORD FIGHTS RIGHT THIS INSTANCE AND COME DOWN FROM THEIR! YOU'RE GONNA POKE YOUR EYE OUT! "
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 05:03:14 am »

Well shit. If only the elementalist hadn't gone the other way. Time to improvise and show the power of life magic.

Mutate one of the Manana saplings to grow large crystalline tumours inside its fruit, then apply lots of drugs and hormones magic to make it grow to full size faster. Pick fruit, split open to extract 'gems'.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 05:08:27 am »

"Oh what the... HEY! YOU TWO STOP HAVING SWORD FIGHTS RIGHT THIS INSTANCE AND COME DOWN FROM THEIR! YOU'RE GONNA POKE YOUR EYE OUT! "

"BUT WE'RE HAVING SO MUCH FUN"

Jump down to the deck and come to a stop next to Randall, ready to dodge-roll away from a further assault as I try to figure out who this delightful sword-mage might be before recommencing the duel.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »

Epoch 6: Blood and Pearls

Randall Mixon (Yotta)

Eiyal, mercifully, actually listens to you right out of the gate. He leaps down from the tree in a way that should break any sane person's legs and strikes a pose beside you as he lands. You're not sure if he's assuming some sort of sword stance or flexing.

Now that you think of it, the answer is probably both.

[1]The catgirl with the twinswords chasing Eiyal, however, is somewhat less than mollified by your intrusion into the fight. She takes one look at you, snorts derisively, and launches herself at Eiyal. "侵入者への死," she screams as she charges.

[5-3+3 (Not actually aiming for you, skilled sword-mage) vs 2] She doesn't actually attack you directly, she just makes absolutely no effort to avoid you as she slashes at Eiyal. You throw yourself out of the way, but it's more than a little too late. There's lightning quick flash of steel, a slight sensation of stinging pressure, and suddenly your right arm is entirely numb.

You wonder if the fact that you can't see blood spreading through your red robes is by design or not.

Eiyal (Harry)

Jump down to the deck and come to a stop next to Randall, ready to dodge-roll away from a further assault as I try to figure out who this delightful sword-mage might be before recommencing the duel.

To your great regret, you break off the duel at Randall's behest and return to ground level via leaping skills worthy of a goliath. Things don't stay boring for long, however, as Randall totally fails at calming the cat-girl down to a manageable state, and she pursues you in her assault, screaming more moonspeak as she charges you.

[4+3 (Skilled Sword Mage) Vs 1+2 (Sword-Mage)] Maybe Randall put you off your beat or something, but she really gets the better of you this time. She flicks Mala wide, slashes your ribs, parries your counterstroke and impales your thigh. In some sort of bizarre vaulting maneuver (during which she continues shouting in moonspeak) she ends up behind you with her swords crossed in front of your throat. Considering that this sort of thing doesn't happen anymore than once a month, you idly wonder aloud who she is.

"WHO AM I?" You can't see her, but you can hear how delighted she is to be asked who she is. "I am the eldest daughter of the joined blood of Alan the golden and the dark witch Asenath! I am the heir to the obsidian throne, the princess of blades! I am-"

"NANDE, WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

Captain Sihn is framed in the doorway to the lower sections of the ship, the short cape of her Captain's coat rippling in an unseen and unfelt breeze. Her one eye sweeps the scene.  Nande poised to kill you, Randall, clutches his arm like he pulled a muscle despite doing absolutely nothing except raise his voice, and you- bleeding a copious amount that you are.

"I can explain this time," Nande pleads, her blades still caressing your throat. [3-2 (Sword-Mage)] She then proceeds to explain. Though, personally, you can't see much wrong with her explanation for why she leapt out to kill you, Captain Sihn's expression darken's with every word.

"Stop," Sihn cuts in, raising her hand to quell further explanation. "Just, stop. You are supposed to defend the bridge. Not the area around the bridge, and you're supposed to escort people off the bridge if I haven't granted them permission to be there. You are not supposed to use lethal force against your fellow crew members, or have you forgotten the little talk we already had about that?"

Nande makes feline growling sound. "But, I haven't seen them before, they might not be a crew member! They could be a spies!"

[5] You swear you see a light flash behind captain Sihn's permanently closed eye, like when you light a magebulb in your mouth at parties and your cheeks light up, and both of Nande's swords fly away from your throat and embed themselves in the ground. "Nande. They are not spies. You have just wounded half of our away team, including the team leader, right before a jump. If you have another outburst like this, I will take away your swords, put a bell on you, and have you work as a dish-scrubber. Are we abundantly clear?"

"... Yes," Nande eventually replies sullenly.

"Yes, what?"

"Yes, Captain Sihn."

Captain Sihn turns her gaze to you, clearly wanting to blame you for something but with insufficient evidence to actually yell at you. "Get Mixon patched up and in his seat for the jump. You have about two minutes before I call for final positions."

Farris Kindlestone

"I think just watching would be nice. I'm torn between the benches by the lake at Farmare Park,
or the hill where we watched the stars. I'll leave this call up to you.
"

"The benches, I think. I don't know how long we'll be able to see the stars," your girlfriend says, taking you by the hand and leading you forward.

She does have a point. Looking up at the sky, it's increasingly interrupted by clouds of smoke from burning buildings and the rents from which the endless fleets of crab warships fly. When you look back down, however, you're already in the park. It was a good pick. The lack of valuable targets means the crabs aren't bombing it, and the wind is favorable enough that you can admire the multi-hued blaze of a magical city on fire without having to deal with all the acrid smoke of it.

There's something serene about this moment. On some level, you're aware that this should be horrible. That you and your pigeon should be screaming somewhere, running for evacuation against an unstoppable onslaught of demon-spawned crablings, and yet... She's there under your arm, soft and comforting. You can feel her breathing, a steady rhythm that makes you almost feel like you could hold your breath and let it sustain you too. This is just one moment. A city is dying, everything you've ever known is crumbling to ruin as the world ends, but it's still just one moment.

"Farris, if you wake up, I want you to remember this place. No matter how awful the world is, no matter how much it tries to grind you down, no matter what your enemies do to break you apart, I will always be here to make you whole again. I will always be here, a calm island in a sea of destruction."

You embrace her on the bench. Whether this is reality or dream, you're poignantly aware you probably won't see her again for a long time- won't feel the way her avian body presses into yours. She folds into you, tucking her beak against your neck and cooing softly. It's a singularly beautiful sound amidst all the chaos and destruction.

"Farris, if I'm the one who has to wake up and go on without you, what will I do?"

[1] For a moment between moments, you can see someone spliced into your beloved Pigeon's position. It only lasts an instant, and a second later a gentle hand smooths out the wrinkle in your memories, until only the narrator and the readers are aware of the event at all.

Irneus

Well shit. If only the elementalist hadn't gone the other way. Time to improvise and show the power of life magic.

Mutate one of the Manana saplings to grow large crystalline tumours inside its fruit, then apply lots of drugs and hormones magic to make it grow to full size faster. Pick fruit, split open to extract 'gems'.

Considering that Captain Sihn will probably have some objection to Farris just grabbing gemstones willy-nilly from the ship's stores, you attempt to trespass against the laws of God using a nearby Manana plant. It's not exactly the most unlikely thing to happen, which helps you a bit. Manana plants, when eaten regularly (as you an everyone on the ship is about to) are rather famous for creating stones in the latter part of the digestive tract. These stones are much smoother and rounder than other types of urinary stones, and can be excreted (Very Painfully) even when of considerable size. Known as Mananaut Pearls, they are gems of exceptional luster, and there's a usually special trap built in to the water reclamation cistern just to sift the gems free during long voyages.

[3+2-1 (Healer, Tumors aren't exactly healing)] What you create in the Manana isn't exactly first rate, or even second rate, it's a pretty poor knock-off all things considered, but it is blue and gem-like after you scrape the Manana off. Farris immediately seizes from your hands and sits cross-legged on the floor working furiously. It's a relieving sight, since those possessed of fey moods have been known to demand increasingly bizarre objects before beginning work.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:04:35 pm by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 10:59:09 pm »

(This game is amazing so far. I have no idea why, but I giggled like a school girl when reading Irneus's turn.)

((Thanks man, I'm enjoying writing it so far!))

((Though, I admit, my post-hoc editing leaves something to be desired. :P))
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:03:24 pm by Draignean »
---

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 11:26:24 pm »

"I wish I had a sentiment as beautiful as yours, but alas I'm not as skilled with words, so I'll keep it simple- do what you want to. I'll be happy as long as you're happy, because... That's what I'm here for."

Farris pulls out his umbrella. He figures be might need it soon, but he doesn't know why. He wonders briefly where he got it. He didn't remember buying an umbrella.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2017, 11:28:21 pm »

Alright waitlist me. I was gonna wait until I had a character finished but that'll take forever.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2017, 12:52:59 am »

"Aw man, she's pretty cool."

Stand up anyway and perform the time-honored sword-mage ritual of Your Injuries Are But Flesh Wounds.

Then put Mixon into the nearest vat of healing juice, I assume they've got one lying around.

Finally, report to the bridge.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:55:14 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7