Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 85634 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2017, 05:38:58 pm »

The underlying assumption of my plan is that we can fix NOTSOFT to be worth 3 UP.

If that assumption is true, then we should just send a single squad of NOTSOFT, because it will be better than the 2 Skyrangers' of rookies we COULD send. They WILL have the VPs for three UFOs again, if not more. And if they DO deploy only one UFO, we had better send everything we can muster after it, because it'll be loaded for bear, I suspect.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2017, 05:44:46 pm »

It'd be pretty stupid to ignore a design just because it didn't get perfect rolls. We have a base that we can build on, and we should use them.

Revise Down and Capture: (1) roseheart
NOTSOFTER: (2) Madman, Chiefwaffles
Upgraded Rookie training program (1) strongpoint
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2017, 06:39:55 pm »

My issue with the fire support revision can basically be summed up as 'I do not think we currently have air weapons that work for fire support'. Our Raven Interceptors were described as using missiles, and none of the missile weapons in XCOM have had a lot of ammo. It's a good idea once we get Laser Cannons or something, or perhaps design a ship actually designed for fire support. Maybe this game's version of the Lightning?

NOTSOFTER: (3) Madman, Chiefwaffles, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »

We're not actually confined to XCOM's stuff, guys. If we want to make an interceptor armed with guns, then let's make an interceptor armed with guns.

Or we could just design a ground-support aircraft (A-10 but more modern, anyone?) aimed at 1 VP, and send a transport and a ground-attack plane after every single alien landing site.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »

We're not actually confined to XCOM's stuff, guys. If we want to make an interceptor armed with guns, then let's make an interceptor armed with guns.
Yes, we can do this. And if we want aircraft doing fire support missions, we should do this before we make a mission type that wants a fire support plane.

Depending on how this turn goes, I might very well support that plan next turn. (Though preferably I'd like to get some alien loot this turn and then expend any bonus we get from that to get laser weapons without risking our bad rolls from hitting us again.)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2017, 07:14:58 pm »

I think you mean "plasma weaponry", since the aliens aren't using any sort of lasers yet and we shouldn't assume they will be.

As for the comment about us not being confined, I said that because if we need ground support, the best way to get it is to make a ground support plane, not wait til we get lasers (Which *should* be weaker than plasma weaponry, by the way, depending on how closely the GM follows source material, as well as how "soft" the sci-fi of the source material is).

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »

I think you mean "plasma weaponry", since the aliens aren't using any sort of lasers yet and we shouldn't assume they will be.

As for the comment about us not being confined, I said that because if we need ground support, the best way to get it is to make a ground support plane, not wait til we get lasers (Which *should* be weaker than plasma weaponry, by the way, depending on how closely the GM follows source material, as well as how "soft" the sci-fi of the source material is).

I said Lasers because lasers should be easier then plasma to make, and don't need alien sourced ammo which should be another factor in making them cheaper then plasma. We could try gauss or railguns or something instead if you really don't want lasers. But plasma is the top tier of canon weapons, so I doubt it's going to be easy to get. And given our current difficulties, I'd prefer to aim for something we're more likely to actually succeed at, and then use that success to get more loot which we can then expend to get better odds at more difficult stuff.
Forenia Forever!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »

I mean, we *can* continue to assume that it's all "top tier" and whatnot, or we can just branch out a bit, steal the stuff, and not worry too much about the highly artificial limits of XCOM's tech trees. Besides, what do you mean "alien-sourced ammo", plasma weapons should heat their shots themselves (i.e., take input of gas of some kind and turn it into a plasma) and not need any fancy external ammo.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »

10ebbor10
Do Raven have access any kind of air to ground weapons? I assumed that we have what modern airforces have + avalanche (the best air to air missile in the world)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:33 pm »

I mean, we *can* continue to assume that it's all "top tier" and whatnot, or we can just branch out a bit, steal the stuff, and not worry too much about the highly artificial limits of XCOM's tech trees. Besides, what do you mean "alien-sourced ammo", plasma weapons should heat their shots themselves (i.e., take input of gas of some kind and turn it into a plasma) and not need any fancy external ammo.
Plasma weapons need Elerium to make their ammo though? Well, in OldCom at least. I mean, it's not like we're going to have to track individual ammo clips, but that stuff is probably going to be taken into account when the time comes to calculate its cost.

Even beyond that, while we shouldn't feel limited to OldCom or NuCom's tech trees, just completely ignoring them and assuming we can skip right to end game applications doesn't seem very wise to me. This game does have Difficulty modifiers to our rolls after all, and we really don't want to get -2 or -3 modifiers to our rolls for trying to grab top level stuff right off. And that's assuming that going right for Plasma doesn't get slotted in as 'Impossible'.
Forenia Forever!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:56 pm »

It's also assuming we can't use the science in sci-fi to accomplish things, instead of being handcuffed to XCOM's tech tree.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 20, 2017, 09:03:51 pm »

NOTSOFTER: (4) Madman, Chiefwaffles, Happerry, Stabby

I like the idea of laser weaponry if only so we can sell it to nation's militaries without endangering our technological monopoly.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2017, 09:13:51 pm »

Honestly? I would prefer self-guided smart munitions on a slightly larger than bullet scale.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 20, 2017, 09:58:31 pm »

It's also assuming we can't use the science in sci-fi to accomplish things, instead of being handcuffed to XCOM's tech tree.

Um, Ahem.

Even beyond that, while we shouldn't feel limited to OldCom or NuCom's tech trees, just completely ignoring them and assuming we can skip right to end game applications doesn't seem very wise to me. This game does have Difficulty modifiers to our rolls after all, and we really don't want to get -2 or -3 modifiers to our rolls for trying to grab top level stuff right off. And that's assuming that going right for Plasma doesn't get slotted in as 'Impossible'.

You seem to be under the impression that 'we should not blindly copy every last bit' means 'lets dump the entire thing and pretend it does not exist'. This is still an X-Com game, not a generic science fiction game. Just as there's no reason not to consider upgrading to alloy ammo as a cheaper alternative to energy weapons, there's also no reason to expect that the game will let us jump right to top level applications in our first weapon upgrade and have it all work out fine.

Honestly? I would prefer self-guided smart munitions on a slightly larger than bullet scale.
So Blaster Bombs?
Forenia Forever!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 20, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »

My point is:

Who's telling us that plasma is a top-tier weapon choice? What particular game mechanic is making a plasma weapon unobtainable right now? This is an Arms Race, we have no designated tech trees, no tech is necessarily more powerful than any other, they all have their requirements, advantages, and disadvantages. The aliens get a shortcut to advanced tech, however, to make it an interesting asymmetric AR. We just get to invent our own way around, as well as slowly acquiring their tech. However, we don't have to operate under the assumption that the alien tech is the be-all end-all of warfare, nor do we have to act like we must first get the tech from the aliens (though that will make some things easier).
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 76