Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82242 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1964 - Design Phase)
« Reply #930 on: June 22, 2019, 08:10:54 pm »

ME-AGV-64 'Weaponized Autonomous Ravenmind Terminating Hostiles On Ground' (WARTHOG) Modular Version
WARTHOG is a means to fulfill every light-vehicle role that our military presently has nothing for. A highly modular vehicle based around a modified Ravenmind, the WARTHOG will be capable of autonomous operation to improve surface logistics, force projection, and ground firepower.

So first, we are going to make a Ravenmind capable of meeting most RAILS project goals: Using thermal, radar, visual, every sensor a Ravenmind has at its disposal, identify every target an infantryman might face in the field, and track IFFs to distinguish between friendlies and enemies. Next, engage appropriate targets with the system's weapon, and finally be capable of navigating the vehicle around rough terrain while doing all of the above according to transmitted orders from the vehicle's remote commander. Effort is made to keep the size down---the vehicle should be only a bit bigger than a civilian car at most. The system is capable of coordinating with other nearby WARTHOG units to destroy targets that are too heavy for a single vehicle to destroy.

The vehicle proper capable of moving at very high speed on and off road thanks to a GOFAST engine powering the four large and durable wheels. The chassis itself is unarmored and built to accept many different modules, including Bear Armor-thickness COMBAT plating for combat variants. The plates can be stacked on top of each other to thicken the armor whenever desired.

Modules include a small truck bed for moving equipment and supplies or wounded soldiers, a turret platform for a double CLAW turret, single TALON turret, or a Birdbrain module with two Shrikes attached, and bolt-on hand- and footholds to allow Bear Soldiers to ride on the sides. A trailer for moving more equipment is also built, and is capable of holding any one of the same three weapon options.

The WARTHOG is of course usable in space and should fit in a Starknight's cargo bay with no problems, allowing it to be deployed to the Moon if necessary for defense, reconnaissance, or the like.

Rewritten somewhat to give more options and make it generally more interesting and useful. Opinions?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 22, 2019, 08:15:30 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
ME-ODS-64 'KILLSAT': (0)
Pyramid RAILS. Also Trucks.: (0)
ME-AGV-64 'WARTHOG': (3) Madman, m1895, Failbird
ATTV + Module Trailers: (1) TricMagic

Know I keep changing my vote, but.. Wrote up the Trailers. And the ALWV can tow them on the Moon as easily as the ATTV does on the Earth. So we can tow around RAILs, Talons, and Shrike placements. At the moment, we do not have a way to carry around Talons on the moon, since they are usually Grizzly weapons.

Kinda just finished writing mine..
Fitting them on an existing ship is, as ever, easy as well.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 23, 2019, 03:55:16 pm »

ME-AGV-64 'WARTHOG': (4) Madman, m1895, Failbird, NUKE9.13
WARTHOG looks decent. I'd be fine with either version.
Long Live United Forenia!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 23, 2019, 04:06:52 pm »

The problem with the warthog is you've done nothing to counteract the bottleneck effect described in the breakdown of the RAILS failure.

ME-ODS-64 'KILLSAT': (1) Flabort
Railway Engine (RAILS 2.0): (0)
ME-AGV-64 'WARTHOG': (4) Madman, m1895, Failbird, NUKE9.13
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 23, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »

The problem with the warthog is you've done nothing to counteract the bottleneck effect described in the breakdown of the RAILS failure.

I had forgotten to mention that. I had forgotten a lot of the operational details---I edited the proposal just a couple minutes ago.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 23, 2019, 05:01:14 pm »

I had forgotten to mention that. I had forgotten a lot of the operational details---I edited the proposal just a couple minutes ago.

b]Railway Engine (RAILS 2.0):[/b] (0)
ME-AGV-64 'WARTHOG': (5) Madman, m1895, Failbird, NUKE9.13, Flabort (Post #920 version)
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 23, 2019, 07:46:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For those not in Discord. It is possible to end up edging into 4 oil with the WARTHOG. Not completely, but I doubt it wont be the case, keeping a CLAW cool enough to fire quickly was an issue with the RAIL.

ATTV is based off of the ALWV, which has already been shown to be cheap. And give the cheapness of Combat Plating, it's extremely unlikely it will end up going over 4 ore. Same with 3 Oil.

TALON Trailer
Because I apparently have to write this up too Madman.. Kinda similar to you complaining about not having to explain everything about the warthog.

You know how we integrated a Talon into the Firestorm? Well, we take a trailer, add simple motors for actually turning a Talon quickly, and streamline the actual firing mechanism of it. Moreover, a Trailer has no issues carrying enough Stabil-ICE to cool it extremely quickly. Likewise with powering the thing, the Trailer can use a GOFAST Generator for powering it, rather than straight batteries.

In this manner, we can more efficiently power and cool it. And since it's meant to be towed, the cost is separate from whatever tows it. Like say.. A WARTHOG that can radio-link to fire it. Hint-hint.

This should reduce the chance of it exploding, and reduce it's cooldown period.

FANG
Full Area Nullification Gun

The FANG is simple. It's based off the Talon, though with all the tubes removed. Instead, it comes with a GOFAST Backpack for charging the capacitors, and uses a Heatsink in the Firing device that can have Stabil-ICE dumped on it to quickly cool the weapon down. This Heatsink was developed by DUC to better draw heat to a non-essential part during orbital operations, but was scrapped due to it needing an outlet due to the steam it produced on cooling.

Effectively, the GOFAST Backpack has a number of Magmagel Batteries which are charged. These batteries link to the capacitor batteries in the FANG. On a full charge, both the Backpack and the FANG have a full charge. In combat, the FANG can dump it's charge into the firing chamber, filled with Magmagel, and this produces a wave of plasma to erase whatever it's pointing at. Not just in a straight line, but everything in an arc ahead faces laser-light.

It has three settings. The continual fire of a straight line which melts through just about anything in a second. The arc which melts everything ahead over a longer period of time. Or the blast that the TALON is known for, now in the hands of a Bear Trooper. Depending on what you need the rechatge time differs. On a Full Charge, the FANG can deliver a TALON Blast on a 3 second delay. When empty, the FANG needs 30 seconds to recover to fire anther TALON Blast. The Arc meanwhile, can fire for quite a bit longer, and can be actively charged from the Backpack.. On an empty cell though, the GOFAST can easily provide the power for the regular beams CLAWs are know for. When it's not empty though, it can go on for a long time on just the CLAW setting.

Due to the issues of the Heatsink, we've also installed some simple Stabil-ICE Cooling into Bear Suits, using the backpack to store it. This is also how you cool your weapon. Make sure you cool it regularly when using it. The FANG has Light Combat Plating to prevent it from being damaged, though there is a grill for venting the steam of the Heatsink. It can in fact be carried with one arm of a Bear Suit, though if possible, use two for aiming TALON Level shots.

It's also a lot less likely to explode, which is good. We've also taken the liberty of linking the pack with the FANG for Grizzlys to equip on one arm. A lot simpler to use than the current TALON models. Just charge, aim, fire, and cool the heatsink. Then wait for recharge.

It's still Expensive, by the way. Just cleaned up into a single unit..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:07:02 pm by TricMagic »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:15 pm »

I mentioned to Andrea, IIRC, the idea of making I had for an upgraded COMBAT plating design that would also serve to improve spacecraft reentry protection and reusability. So here, have it. I'm not recommending that we do this this turn, note, but for the future.

Advanced Remanufactured Metals to Overhaul Resistance (ARMOR) Plating
Based on COMBAT Plating, ARMOR is a upgraded form of the incredibly protective armor. It keeps the kinetic-energy-absorbing sandwich design of COMBAT Plating as its main means of reducing damage to the thing on the back side of the armor. However, innovations in production have allowed it to become much more durable.

Powdered alloys of the type used in the layers of COMBAT Plating are spread onto tables, where a computerized system guides a laser to melt specific patterns into the metal, which is then allowed to cool, before another layer of metal alloy is laid down and melted in a different pattern, allowing us to produce plates with capillary-like webs of tubes running through some of the armor layers. These tubes are a way for heat to escape the armor as it is struck, but they can also be used to store liquid in the plating. The small size of the tubes and the way they are scattered across plates and layers means that the reduction in physical strength is minimized.

Enter the liquid we are putting in this plating, Intense Chemical Endotherm Chemically Revised for Electrical Activation Methods. ICECREAM is a form of ICE that works similar to regular ICE, except that the chemical changes that allow it to cool the environment around it can be reset via electricity and require no air. Simply running an electrical current through the ARMOR will allow the ICECREAM in the capillaries to continue cooling the armor as it is struck, greatly prolonging its lifespan. The best part is that a TESLA blast will actually aid the ICECREAM in cooling the armor to recover from the blast.

A variant of ARMOR Plating, with no actual armor and made of regular steel instead of COMBAT alloys, using more electricity, larger and more plentiful capillaries, and more ICECREAM, is useful as a spacecraft reentry protection that is completely reusable, being effective enough at cooling to suffer no damage during reentry. This is applied, at present, to the Skyranger, reducing the cost of maintenance.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1964 - Design Phase)
« Reply #938 on: July 03, 2019, 06:22:16 am »

Design: ME-AGV-64 WARTHOG
(Easy) (3+1)+1 = 5: Average

Surprisingly small for a wartime military combat vehicle, the WARTHOG uses what we learned from RAILS to make something quite impressive. Under 6 meters long, its chassis houses a Ravenmind core, GOFAST engine, and Magmagel capacitor/battery. A light STABIL-ICE cooling system keeps the vehicle operational with all systems functional and can allow for it to survive higher-heat conditions, though often at the cost of reduced operational capacity. The standard variant includes a twin-CLAW turret capable of a 360-degree firing radius placed on the top near the front. Infantry-grade COMBAT plating means the WARTHOG should do fine in infantry combat when not overwhelmed, but taking on heavy enemy weaponry is to be avoided. The Ravenmind uses a plethora of sensors and IFF signatures to be able to differentiate and target enemy infantry and vehicles. Just to be safe, don't unlock its weapons in the presence of non-IFF-equipped civilians.
The entire assembly is distinctly angular in its form. It has a competent all-wheel-drive suspension with heavy duty wheels. Tires are prone to be shot out so we've made sure to keep them relatively high up into the chassis. This makes it a bit more difficult to traverse particularly rough terrain though not impossible in order to protect the wheels. Its GOFAST engine makes it Fast, faster than anything else in our arsenal (on land).

Every WARTHOG is autonomous (to a degree) and work via creating a local network via very short-range radio communications. Our engineers spent an unfortunate amount of time fighting over whether to call an instance of this network a "WARmind" or "WARnet". The fight is ongoing to this day. In order to avoid the problems encountered by the unfortunate RAILS, long-range bandwidth is conserved by having a single WARTHOG in a given WARnet act as the "Commander", receiving orders from the nearest Node and relaying them as appropiate to other vehicles in the network.
WARTHOGs are capable of re-organizing the WARnet on the go and any vehicle can be designated a Commander with no hardware or "manual" changes required. However if a WARnet's commander is destroyed unexpectedly, it'll take one to three minutes to re-organize the network. This is unfortunately a risk we have to take due to the required proximity of the Commander to other vehicles in the network to work. WARTHOGs can and will continue with their previous orders in case of command loss; a COMMANDER being destroyed will notably hurt combined operations while the system is reset, but it won't cripple the network.

Orders given are of course by human commanders and are quite general. By necessity. A squadron (comprising one WARnet) can be instructed to follow friendly assets by (newly-installed) IFF signals, it can be ordered to go in a general area, to destroy all hostile assets, to destroy enemy assets matching a known signature, etc.. It's not extremely dynamic and we will come into issues with this in the field. Coordination isn't amazing as the Ravenmind wasn't originally designed for hectic combat squadron-like coordination, but it works. Fire can be focused on given targets and given spots on those targets, and accidental collisions are rare. But our soldiers cannot expect advanced tactical support from a WARTHOG group just yet.
Absolute location tracking is also an issue. The Ravenminds do not track their absolute location. They can track relative location since deployed but this can be easily put out of sync. As such, it's not recommended to deploy WARTHOG groups independent of human operations as they'll likely get lost.

We've included footholds and handholds for Bear troopers on the exterior, but the WARTHOG isn't great for troop transport. It just can't hold many soldiers without running out of available weight or space, and the soldiers aren't exactly protected. And without a human/human-piloted vehicle leading the way, navigation is tough to impossible. But still, it can be useful. We can reliably fit about 4 Bear troopers on one WARTHOG without really sacrificing any capabilities.
Power and fuel is of course a consideration. A WARTHOG carries enough fuel to go very far without the Ravenmind (which is impossible) and weapons. With an active Ravenmind it holds a Very Long range, enough to cross an entire theatre. Usage of weapons cuts this down the most -- a WARTHOG seeing expected amounts of active combat would likely reach Short range without refueling.

No anti-air variants were designed, but we have created a TALON "Heavy" variant. Featuring a heavier cooling system and exterior tanks for both Magmagel and STABIL-ICE. More vulnerably to enemy fire, bit less armor to keep speed equivalent to the standard version, and incapable of carrying troops; but it has a big gun which is very much enough of a quality in its own right to make it worth it.

Both variants cost 3 Ore for the chassis and armor (while COMBAT plating doesn't cost extra anymore, that was extra relative to armor of equivalent mass not extra to a design as a whole). Fuel and gel usage use two units each, for an overall cost of 4 Oil. The double-CLAW turret uses 2 Magmatite,  and the TALON Heavy variant uses 3 Magmatite. Making both variants Expensive on a light vehicle scale.

We expect the WARTHOG to be very competent where deployed, even if it won't change the face of war. What we learned here can greatly help with the RAILS, but we didn't have time to apply the new tech there.
Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Winter 1964 has begun.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1964 - Revisions Phase)
« Reply #939 on: July 03, 2019, 06:59:55 am »

RAILS-Station

Our RAILS project was ambitious, but unfortunately a failure. The Rails-Station project aims to resolve most of the designs flaws.

The first major change made is the integration of a lot of the WARTHOG's advancements, especially in regards to networking, target tracking and communication. We aim for an efficient system where local RAILStations form into groups that, only 1 of which reports to the local node. In order to avoid disruption, a secundary leader is pre-emptively selected and ready to go live when the original leader is destroyed. As a side advantage, the common code base between Rails and Warthog allows the Rails to serve as navigational beacons and sensor stations for nearby WARTHOG operations.

The second issue, deployment, is resolved by changing the RAILS mission from an infantry deployable turret to a slighly more stationary fixed installation. Rail-STATIONS are towed by vehicles through our underground instant-road network. Installation happens from under the ground. The RAILS-Station is pushed up through the ceiling of a shallow tunnel, exposing only it's sensors and weaponry to the above ground (and allowing us to pull it down if the enemy starts being a bit too happy about firing back).

This underground deployement not only provides the RAILS-Station with ready made dirt fortifications, it also resolves the resupply issue (easy resupply or even permanent hookup to underground generators) and the cooling issues, by utilizing the ground as a heatsink. A small stabil-ice system supports this cooling mechanism.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 03, 2019, 10:33:05 am »

Spoiler: LUNA Radio Network (click to show/hide)

That will need to be next turn..

Project Railway

We have a very very good vehicle. It's got a low carry capacity, but the base gives us a cheap transport.

Text got freaking deleted... Why.

SUPPLYnet. Cheap Towing, for either weapon supplies, troop transport, or the RAILs. That is all. Does not have weapons, so the Magmatite cost is either 1 or 0. That's the base idea. Moving Caravans of Bear Troopers and gear.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:19:18 pm by TricMagic »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 03, 2019, 03:30:07 pm »

Here's an idea that is not RAILS related  :P But no acronym, I've got a headache and can't think of one.

Ground Shark
With increasingly more dangerous weather patterns being summoned by Aratam's psychics, our ground troops are under constant pressure to adapt to new situations. What if we took weather out of the equation almost all together?

The Ground Shark is a subterranean vehicle superior to the Excavator in several fashions. It's increased size allows the cargo hold to contain a couple of Warthogs or even a Firestorm. The drills are shaped to pass debris and ground up stone around channels on the sides of the Ground Shark, where there are further crushers along it's surface to further reduce the debris in volume, condensing it and powdering it so that it is easier to clear out behind the vehicle if desired. The effect of having so many rotating bladed "disks" one the surface for crushing rocks gives the Ground Shark the appearance of having a skin made of small teeth, like a shark's skin. Except made of metal. The shape is also slightly tapered, so that once the debris is past the front drill, it has more space to move around (and get sucked into the crushers), letting the Ground Shark glide past quicker.

The GOFAST engines have been upgrades with STABIL-ICE turbocooling, allowing them to be bigger, beefier, and more powerful, but also more compact and robust, increasing the horsepower of the engine many times over. With the increased speed, the Ground Shark is capable of angling upwards and breaching the surface of the earth fast enough to get several seconds of air time, and jump over some obstacles. Mobility is provided primarily by reinforced treads that can withstand a long fall, but a few thrusters like those used in HAUNTER have been provided to angle the nose back downwards or level with the ground after a breach, or to function in low gravity environments. These thrusters are not very powerful, and were pretty much added last minute, so a fast breach jump on the lunar surface is not recommended, as they may not be strong enough to guarantee a safe landing. The inclusion of the thrusters however also allows the Ground Shark to turn quicker underground, taking advantage of it's aforementioned tapered shape and the loose debris to push the back one way to angle the front the other way.

It has also been completely pressure sealed, with a BREATH module for air deep underground or in a vacuum, and a ZEPHER module for ground entry/exit and/or docking with a station on the moon. For use of larger vehicles inside the Ground Shark (such as the above mentioned Warthog or Firestorm), the cockpit has been sealed separately from the cargo hold, which can fold open from the top all the way down to just below where the ZEPHER is, offset so that can be retained as one single module rather than split down the middle. Both exit and entry methods involve a ramp that can be retracted into the Ground Shark. It is not recommended you try to open the cargo bay whilst drilling.
Spoiler: Folding Bay Walls (click to show/hide)
Overall, the bigger space, higher speed, and better turning power allows the Ground Shark to outstrip the Excavator in most aspects, making a much more effective transport underneath the battlefield. Excavators may still be useful, transporting the resources dug up by the Ground Shark and transporting Instant Roads through Ground Shark tunnels, and will still be widely used while it's too expensive to use Ground Sharks everywhere, as the bigger bulkier vehicle will almost certainly require a lot of metal to construct and fuel to run, but faster and deeper operations should allow the civilian run Ground Sharks to dig up far more ore than an Excavator can, while the military uses should mitigate the effects of weather, and protect our ground troops from most air craft and artillery, allowing us to pick our battles.
The Cyan Menace

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 03, 2019, 03:34:19 pm »

snip
I question the part where it can jump out of the ground, but otherwise it seems good to my cursory inspection. Just one small issue though:
We're in the Revision phase.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 03, 2019, 03:37:30 pm »

I'm going to have to sit down tomorrow and do the whole Warthog revision and trailers.

Just take the weapons systems out, focus on towing, and it's cheap. Then add the Supply Trailer. And the Rail Trailer.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 03, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »

snip
I question the part where it can jump out of the ground, but otherwise it seems good to my cursory inspection. Just one small issue though:
We're in the Revision phase.
And? It's just a bigger, better Excavator.
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 74