Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74

Author Topic: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Fall 1965 - Final Design Phase)  (Read 82337 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1963 - Design Phase)
« Reply #660 on: January 16, 2019, 06:46:02 am »

Consider me as throwing in for Mereth. Gotta fight against those eternal totalitarians, you know.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:48 am »

Glad to have you!

(Now vote ADMIN for glorious Artificial Intelligence)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 16, 2019, 12:16:18 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
ME-RID-61 'SERF': (4) Madman, NUKE9.13, Happerry, DGR
Artificial Designer of Merethian InterNals: (3) FallacyofUrist, AC, m1895

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 16, 2019, 12:52:00 pm »

Let's be perfectly honest: That acronym is horrible Fallacy. That isn't the main reason why I'm voting for SERF (I'd prefer cybernetics experience over AI), but it is a very minor one.

Quote from: Votebox
ME-RID-61 'SERF': (5) Madman, NUKE9.13, Happerry, DGR, Jilladilla
Artificial Designer of Merethian InterNals: (3) FallacyofUrist, AC, m1895

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:36 pm »

The acronym would be slightly better if you changed it from "Artificial Designer of Merethian InterNals" to "Artificial Designer of Merethian INternals"- internals isn't pronounced inter-nals, it's in-ternals.
It would robably be even better if you made it "Artificial Designer of Merethine Industrial Networks"
Long Live United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 18, 2019, 08:02:25 pm »

ME-RID-61 Servitor with Environment Resistant Features 'SERF'
Based on the Bear Armor and our original prototype remote-control-hand thing back when we invented Electrogel, the new remote industrial drone 'SERF' is basically a humanish-sized drone, controlled like a Grizzly suit via a remote cable connection. It is basically a remote-controlled Bear Armor with much-improved dexterity so the operator has similar fine motor skills to their normal body. The feedback portions of CAT have been slightly improved via a slightly better mixture of Electrogel that has higher bandwidth and slightly higher precision of transmission to accompany the newfound fine motor skills. The operator can thus sit comfortably in his office, wired to his drone, which is capable of lifting much more weight than he is, surviving much higher temperatures than he is, doesn't need transportation from the hellish depths of MAGMA back to the livable areas, and doesn't mind 24-hour shifts (via rotating pilot shifts). Vision and hearing are provided, for now, by simple microphones and cameras on the drone's end, and speakers and a TV monitor on the operator's end.

The suit improves industrial capability as mentioned above. Bulk-reducing steps in MAGMA industry can be moved downwards, hazardous working environments no longer require bureaucratic approval or safety measures, industrial accidents don't require a shutdown and investigation (and funeral), but require instead a replacement robot and a repair bill, on and on and on. Also, every worker is simply more capable (and can work from home, or nearly from home depending on how much cable can be run and from where). We hope to use the gained materials to cheapen COMBAT plating.
Design: ME-RID-61 'SERF'
(Normal) (6) = 6: Above Average

The 'SERF' (the bureaucracy of Mereth has given up with a collective sigh and is now just filing our designs by their acronyms, with no mention of the full name) is best described as a Bear suit with extra steps. Remove the pilot, transmit data to the suit remotely via cable from a remote pilot, and improve the dexterity of both the CAT used by the new pilot and of the Bear armor itself.

A SERF looks distinctly... off. We didn't have need (nor the luxury of time) to build a new suit from the ground up, so it's almost like a skinnier, unarmored version of Bear Armor. But at many spots throughout the device, one can see straight into its internal cacophony of wires and Neuro/Electrogel and straight back out the other side. Uncanny is the best word for it. The head has been replaced by what amounts to a large television camera, further pushing it into a valley of uncanny.
Its dexterity is very close to that of a human. It could be considered similar to a clumsy human, but in controlled situations this dexterity suits our uses just fine.

Overall, it provides a significant boost in industry where rolled out. Workers can simply work in much smaller ICE-cooled rooms while the large rooms and whatnot where they used to work can now have the expensive ICE cooling skipped. Mining is still done via Excavator and Bear Armor, as it's too expensive to run cables down our mineshafts and have them work along with the Excavators. But transport of goods and a lot of other tasks in the industry can now be done by robots, safely cutting safety costs and decreasing logistics costs.
We've focused the gains of this to effectively reducing the cost of COMBAT plating to us. Though the bureucracy seems mad at us for this too, and asks us to please focus on directly reducing costs in the future rather than using abstract benefits or extra mining for just one design.

All Bear Armor is now equipped with COMBAT plating, and Grizzlies are now Expensive. And we're told that the MAGMA Civil Authority is considering centralized infrastructure for the transfer of general SERF neurodata across MAGMA without need for specific cables. Though the tech isn't quite there yet.

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

The Revision Phase of Winter 1963 has begun.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:09:18 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 18, 2019, 08:22:28 pm »

ME-GML-63 'Peregrine'
Using solid rocket boosters as new first stages, Shrikes are modified to be fired at long range from Sarukh launcher trucks modified to hold three missiles instead of eight. Then, Birdbrain pods are placed on some Grizzlies, and Blizzard pods are modified, to direct the missiles as they enter the operations zone. Pinpoint artillery support for ground forces, and we can always have Blizzard missile support, even when all the Blizzards are out of missiles.

OK, so, yeah. Apparently Chief doesn't like this particular fluff direction for cheapening things because it is problematic for the system, I guess. But that's over with, and now onwards to victory. I propose we march to victory via superior firepower.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:22:41 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Arms Race - Mereth Design Division (Winter 1963 - Revision Phase)
« Reply #667 on: January 18, 2019, 08:30:32 pm »

UT-63 Jormungandr: A modified and improved version of our trusted tunnel drilling machine. On it's most basic level, the Jormugandr derives it's snake like appearance from the fact that it's composed of several excavator chassis being chained together. The main drill in front has been considerably improved. In normal mode, it utilizes magmagell to drive a more powerfull electric engine, while using ICE to keep it cool.In enhanced drive, it utilizes alternating blasts from modified CLAW's and bursts of ICE to induce thermal shock in the rock through which it drills. Conveniently, this gives the Jormugabdr a powerfull forward facing weapon. A carriage behind the locomotive module stores the neccessairy ICE and magmagel to power the vehicle for prolonged amounts of time. Other modules can be armed with Claws too, but are more often used for personnel and material transport.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 18, 2019, 09:30:57 pm »

Blue sky:
The blue sky is a skyranger that has been stripped of the components necessary for suborbital flight, and had its cargo bay expanded because of the freed up space. All items unnecessary for this aircraft's intended purpose, transporting troops and cargo cheaply and effectively, are to be removed. This includes both the ramjets (or at least all of their fuel, and the ramjet parts aren't going to be manufactured to withstand the same strains, or even really operate, just be as light as possible while preventing us from having to significantly alter the design) and the ICE cooling systems, which are ditched in favor of improved carrying capacity and durability against enemy attacks.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 18, 2019, 09:55:05 pm »

Ultimate Lowering Temperature - Revised/Altered ICE:
As it turns out, studies show that we of Mereth use ICE in basically everything. So we may as well improve it.

Like, make it colder. Why not make ICE colder? The Unusual Chemists at the Department of Unusual Chemistry just loved this opportunity.
So they got to work. Refining the year-old formulas. And the end result? ULTRA-ICE. It's basically as hazardous as the proposed "FIRE" was. The poor DUC liaison had another heart attack when he heard about what would go into ULTRA-ICE.

Eh, it was worth it.

ULTRA-ICE is ICE that's been made much colder and hence deadlier. Obviously we don't use it in everything. That could end badly. Just payloads and stuff. We expect everything we use ICE as a combat payload in to get a lot deadlier. As a note, we're fine making ULTRA-ICE use an extra Oil if it makes it deadlier. We can afford the cost.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 18, 2019, 09:57:30 pm »

Skyranger Upgrade: Practical Experience-based Reentry
The Skyranger is a wonderful craft, but its design suffered from rapid deployment somewhat. We aim to fix this. First off, the heavy and not-perfect ICE cooling system is removed, and replaced by a much more simple ablative compound from the DUC. The compound, when applied to the belly of the craft and anything exposed to the cushion of super-compressed, superheated air that builds up in front of a reentering space vehicle, absorbs all the heat, decomposing as it does so. While this means that some time does need to be spent to replace the consumed ablative after suborbital missions, it is substantially less Ore-and-time-intensive, as compared to the present method of protection. Second, we remove the (nearly-)useless hardpoints and the power supplies for them. They're just excess weight at this point.

Savings in weight from the removal of the ICE system and the hardpoints allow us to go further on less rocket-and-Magmagel power. This allows us to reduce its supplies of Magmagel, reducing the range on fans in exchange for more rocket range.

This revision is intended to reduce the Ore cost of the Skyranger, as well as its Magmatite cost, by 1. An increased Oil cost is acceptable [using a chemically-derived ablative, presumably) The goal is Expensive, of course.

What's life without a thousand revision proposals floating around, right? This one may be stretching it. In order to get the Skyranger to be Expensive, we either need to drop Ore cost by 2 or Ore by 1 and Magmatite by 1....this is not likely to be easy. Or Easy. As an alternative we COULD just try and reduce the Ore costs by 2 by using the ablative and stripping out the hardpoints, thus reducing maintenance and construction costs...may or may not work, of course.

I still think the MLRS may be the way to go, but I could be convinced to do something else...ULTRA-ICE seems like it just won't do enough. Our problem isn't killing the enemies, it's reaching them. Both with weapons or troops.

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' (Tank Application of Laser OrdiNance)
Based on the CLAW, the TALON laser system is basically a scaled-up version capable of delivering millisecond pulses of laser energy, enough that the target's surface explodes into plasma, short enough that the resulting cloud doesn't waste (too much) of the pulse's energy. The intent is to make a Grizzly arm mount that is capable of producing a devastating pulse to flash large amounts of armor or flesh into an expanding cloud of deadly-hot plasma. It does not need to be capable of sustained fire or rapid fire, instead being used like an actual tank cannon, single shots capable of destroying an entire tank, but fired only every few seconds, rather than "continuous fire til the battery's dry".

So, well, if you want to make better use of our new Grizzlies...this might do it, if they can use it as a separate armament option that doesn't directly add to their cost. Hopefully the low fire rate will make it relatively cheap on the Magmatite side of things....but if it doesn't we'll just have VE Grizzlies good for AT work as well as E Grizzlies good for killing anything and everything.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:15:22 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 19, 2019, 01:59:53 pm »

ME-GWS-61 'TALON' : (1) AC

A new AT weapon would help us maximise the impact of a sudden resurgence in Grizzly numbers. A cheaper Skyranger would be nice, but it seems to be quite effective as is, and I'd rather increase the effectiveness of our troopers before dropping them en masse behind enemy lines. Perhaps Bear Armour could be revised to better handle surges from Tesla rifles and lightning strikes?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 19, 2019, 02:14:48 pm »

Well, COMBAT plating being cheap means all Bear troopers get it, and COMBAT is somewhat resistant to electrical attacks.

There's a slight semantic problem with TALON, in that Grizzlies do not actually have generators, but other than that I agree that having a more potent AT weapon would be good- even though it might bring Grizzlies equipped with it up to VE again, we could simply deploy them alongside regular Grizzlies.

I was going to suggest an orbital Spyranger, as a further stepping stone to space, but I'm having second thoughts. I'm currently leaning towards a CLAW CIWS for Grizzlies, but I wouldn't mind if TALON won.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 19, 2019, 02:27:31 pm »

I'll edit in re-adding a GOFAST generator to the Grizzly for this, I think. Strip out the batteries we have right now and just make use of a hyper-efficient GOFAST generator again instead. That'll hopefully allow for higher rates of fire than the battery option, as well as more sustained fire.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 19, 2019, 03:34:41 pm »

I was going to suggest an orbital Spyranger, as a further stepping stone to space, but I'm having second thoughts.

I'd definitely be willing to back this in a later turn. I mean, just imagine what ORACLE could do with recon satellites at our fingertips!
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74